Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default New Serge Lutens Export Launch (And it's Fresh?)

The blog Grain de Musc, has the news that Serge Lutens next export fragrance will be titled L’Eau Serge Lutens, I know wildly creative isn't he? All credit goes to Grain de Musc:

"Neither fruity Atlas cedar nor spice cocktail. Nary a whiff of incense, civet or indole. Not a smidge of resins or balms.

Clean as a freshly laundered shirt is exactly how Serge Lutens wanted it to be: an “anti-perfume”, as “a reaction to this world which is too perfumed, or better said, embalmed, because this is no longer seduction, it is mummification.”"

The author, has apparently smelled it, and no notes are listed, she finishes the article with the following:

"P.S. I will add this, for those of you who've been cringing at the very notion of clean: this is not, repeat, NOT an aquatic."

I'm a huge SL fan, so I'm excited to try this one as well, but what do you guys think? Sort of going against the grain for Mr. Lutens.

Edit: Forgot the link: http://graindemusc.blogspot.com/2009...fume-from.html
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 26th November 2009 at 01:58 AM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Default Re: New Serge Lutens Export Launch (And it's Fresh?)

Interesting.

Serge Lutens going avant-grade...sounds a little like CB I Hate Perfume, Comme des Garcon or S-Perfume. Excited to try this.

About-face!
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 26th November 2009 at 02:26 AM.

Is Christopher Sheldrake the nose/engineer/whatever behind this one? Or does nobody know yet?

“a reaction to this world which is too perfumed, or better said, embalmed, because this is no longer seduction, it is mummification.”"

It sounds like he is criticizing even his own previous creations. Yeah, I know it's probably just a marketing strategy, but it's like a "shot in the foot" strategy.

Anyway, the description of the fragrance is interesting and promissing, and yet a little bit reckless. Let's see.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by flouris View Post
    Is Christopher Sheldrake the nose/engineer/whatever behind this one? Or does nobody know yet?
    Yes if you read the article in the link above, the blogger mentions the new scent has been co-authored with Sheldrake.

I think this sounds like a great idea. There are wonderful, non-derivative, fresh scents out there - there's just so few of them. I think Lutens has a shot at creating one that works, if it doesn't smell simultaneously synthetic.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

I'm glad its not an aquatic and i can't wait to try it
    [COLOR="Purple"]I am not afraid... I was born to do this.

-Joan of Arc [/COLOR]

This one is based on the smell permeating his pad in Morocco when he spilled some Tide detergent while hand-washing his Fez hat in the kitchen sink ..
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    About-face!
    No doubt, Ruggles

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    This one is based on the smell permeating his pad in Morocco when he spilled some Tide detergent while hand-washing his Fez hat in the kitchen sink ..
    LMAO ...

"...this world which is too perfumed..."

sometimes I feel the same, I don't want to smell anything & I don't want to smell like anything .... intresting,, so when is the launch?

I read in other blogs that this launch means that it could be his last creation...?
    Last edited by tariq; 28th November 2009 at 09:39 PM.

All the press releases about this say it's a 100ml bottle for only 100euros.. I'm guessing this could be eau de toilette or even eau de cologne strength, especially since the description indicates a frag that won't be overly powerful or in your face. Wonder if it'll come in a newly designed bottle?

Guess it is a new(ish) bottle

Sorry to keep posting here, but I just came across a vid featuring Serge on the website for this new frag: http://www.salons-shiseido.fr/leau_serge_lutens/v/

^^ I really like it. Similar to that weird red bottle of mystery liquid they always have at the Shiseido counter.

VERY interesting. Significant enough to warrant it's own bottle?

The picture above is from a lengthy post on The Scented Salamander, here: http://www.mimifroufrou.com/scenteds..._film_new.html
    Last edited by DocmanCC; 3rd December 2009 at 08:06 PM.

About-face!
    haha

I find it to be very interesting. I once posted here that I would like Lutens to create a classic EDC just because it is a radical departure from the conventional SL style.

But the statement that this is a reaction to this world which is too perfumed, or better said, embalmed, because this is no longer seduction, it is mummification troubles me somewhat. Is it a rejection of his previous work? If not, what does it mean?

Quote Originally Posted by tariq View Post
    so when is the launch?
    I read somewhere that it will be released in March 2010
    Sales thread here

Question Re: New Serge Lutens Export Launch (And it's Fresh?)

Apologies if this has been answered before, but why does this house demand that sites selling their fragrances (such as Lucky Scent) not allow online ordering?

I've ordered Lutens from Luckyscent before. I think what you're referring to is the Exclusive range of Serge Lutens fragrances which are only sold at the boutique in Paris. I have no idea why this is, other than it seems to generate some excitement and help filter out the best ones that eventually make it to the Export range.

The Perfumed Court offers decants of the Exclusive range, however, if you want to check those out.

Quote Originally Posted by Neurotic Scientist View Post
    Apologies if this has been answered before, but why does this house demand that sites selling their fragrances (such as Lucky Scent) not allow online ordering?
    No idea. You can order from The Perfume House online, if you don't mind paying full price. I'm sure you can find others.

flouris: see here for what NS is talking about. You can't just buy it "online", you must call to order in person, so-to-speak.

Ahh yes.. that's right. I emailed them and they shot right back with the price. I figured companies did that when they wanted to keep their prices from being public or seen by competitors.

I mean, ok, it's good to explore new dimensions (perfumish dimensions that is), and a "clean" will be the absolute antithesis of what Serge meant to do until this very moment...was there really a need for more "clean"? Nope. Not for me. Mainstream is full of "clean".
    I am curious, have to admit it, will wanna try it..but...don't believe I'll be willing to spend 100 bucks on something that just smells like freshly showered. If I buy myself a Serge, I want spices and power.

ps: beautiful bottle, that's true!

IF SL manages to pull off an original fresh like FM's Geranium pour Monsieur I'd be very interested to try it. But ol' Sergie hasn't really rocked my world with his latest creations, and an anti-perfume perfume sounds a lot like he's imitating CB I hate perfume. In addition, the whole "Clean as a freshly laundered shirt is exactly how Serge Lutens wanted it to be: an “anti-perfume”, as “a reaction to this world which is too perfumed, or better said, embalmed, because this is no longer seduction, it is mummification.”" made me doubt this whole thing... We have far too much fragrances that are clean as freshly laundered shirts, Serge!
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

Wow, keen for this. Clean Serge Lutens... hmm... maybe some iris, some nice smooth (but not too bright) musks, vetiver, ambrette... I'm intrigued. March seems too far away!

I'm not interested in a fresh scent from Serge Lutens. Nice bottle though.

Regards,
    Steve

Basenotes Institution

Perfume Shrine wrote a review of this today, in case you missed it: http://perfumeshrine.blogspot.com/20...view-draw.html

I also a Basenotes member wore it, on the Female board, in the SOTD thread (yesterday I think)..maybe if she reads this she will post her thoughts and comments on it - or anyone else who has smelled it?

p.s. - I thought it was kind of interesting that they released this one in a different bottle style than the other SL scents. Seems like they're trying to market it differently, for better or worse.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 26th January 2010 at 03:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neurotic Scientist View Post
    Really? Go to Aedes' website and see for yourself.

Anyway, back to the main issue at hand - oh boy, am I excited to see this! I will need to save some money by March so that I'll be able to pull the trigger on this one.
    Last edited by heythatslife; 26th January 2010 at 03:25 AM.

I spotted a sample spray of this on ebay a bit earlier this evening. Funny coincidence this thread got bumped today, too. I can't wait to try this locally in March.

Quote Originally Posted by allabouteve View Post
    I mean, ok, it's good to explore new dimensions (perfumish dimensions that is), and a "clean" will be the absolute antithesis of what Serge meant to do until this very moment...was there really a need for more "clean"? Nope. Not for me. Mainstream is full of "clean".
    I am curious, have to admit it, will wanna try it..but...don't believe I'll be willing to spend 100 bucks on something that just smells like freshly showered. If I buy myself a Serge, I want spices and power.
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlino View Post
    IF SL manages to pull off an original fresh like FM's Geranium pour Monsieur I'd be very interested to try it. But ol' Sergie hasn't really rocked my world with his latest creations, and an anti-perfume perfume sounds a lot like he's imitating CB I hate perfume. In addition, the whole "Clean as a freshly laundered shirt is exactly how Serge Lutens wanted it to be: an “anti-perfume”, as “a reaction to this world which is too perfumed, or better said, embalmed, because this is no longer seduction, it is mummification.”" made me doubt this whole thing... We have far too much fragrances that are clean as freshly laundered shirts, Serge!
    So very true!

Serge Lutens for me is a bastion against all the wishy-washy non-descript "clean" fragrances out there. Sure, do a soap fragrance; it could be interesting, but clean? Clean can be had for free, by showering.
    Last edited by Sugandaraja; 26th January 2010 at 04:34 AM.

Blog Entries

Riannon on the womens board got a sample of this from Lutens for being on their mailing list (note to self: join Lutens mailing list). She's worn it a couple of times and hasn't written much. Hopefully, she'll see this thread and add on...

Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

I'm sampling L'Eau and have to agree that it is clean, squeaky clean. A kind of "fresh laundry" generically sexless clean. Soapy detergent.

Not for me.
    Last edited by tott; 26th January 2010 at 06:11 PM.

I belong to his website and they sent out requests for my details to send me a sample. I am waiting for mine to arrive.
    DONNA

I got my sample today! My first impressions are sour-sweet, floral-fruity. Actually if you are familiar with Ormonde Jayne Frangipani imagine this tuned a little bit towards the unisex of the spectrum with the addition of the sizzling ironed cotton from Gris Clair. No soap smell at all. Longevity must be exceptional because I sprayed the up side of my hand at 3:00pm and at 11:00pm the scent survives several hand washes.

Thanks for the first hand account cpk.

How would you characterize the "sweet" in this case? Dry, sugary, cloying?

Definately not sugary or cloying. This is a fresh scent. Imagine smelling a ripe mango. You feel it is sweet but there is also something sour or tart in that smell that never lets the sweetness take over. And I don't mean that there is a mango note the scent!

Definately not sugary or cloying. This is indeed a fresh scent. Imagine smelling a ripe mango. The sweetness is there but the acidity of the fruit never lets it take over. Attention: no mango note in it!

I wouldn't be so quick to say that Serge is abandoning his olfactory fascination with Marrakech. One thing I always notice when I travel in non-westernized countries, Morocco being one, is the use of strongly scented lye soaps to wash down very smelly things, like, for instance, the unrefrigerated meat markets and toilets. This odd mixture of soap and decay fills the streets at the end of the day and in the early morning hours spilling into the gutters. Perhaps Serge is paying tribute to this?

it does seem to me as though he'd like to make some money

Thanks for the review, cpk! Sounds interesting. I got my sample yesterday, will test it in the near future.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka View Post
    Thanks for the review, cpk! Sounds interesting. I got my sample yesterday, will test it in the near future.
    You have far more self control than I do. I would be covered in the stuff before I returned from the mailbox!

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Heh.

Quote Originally Posted by DocmanCC View Post
    You have far more self control than I do. I would be covered in the stuff before I returned from the mailbox!
    LOL! If I'm already wearing a scent (as I usually am) I don't want to mess with it, that's why I wait.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

I received my sample yesterday, but was out all day so didn't get to try it until last nigt.

It awful, really I mean ye gods its awful. LOL I got in the opening something like cheap lemon washing up liquid. Then it developed into something you would sniff in a washing powder on a supermarket shelf!!!!! I swear I wouldn't buy it to wash my clothes in!!!!!!!

Chris Sheldrake please come back to work at Serge Lutens. Yes I know you have left the brand, but please come back.
    DONNA

Dependent

Haven't tried this yet, but from reading the accounts of those who have tried it, I am left rather unenthused. I will still try to sample it locally when I see it.

Guerlain, now Serge Lutens? Ah, how the mighty are falling as time marches on. Too many releases. Serge disses the very concept that made his brand...sounds like he is even bored with his own line. Guerlain entering the modern world of Sephora pleasing frags to make money, and raising prices to ridiculous levels in the lux?? offerings. That old money and greed wheel keeps on turning, all at the expense of reputation, creativity, and quality.

Is it not enough to just concentrate on what you do well and work that path?...why must some companies try to cover every base and be all things to all people? I would rather be f**king incredible at just a few things, than just good at many.

I will sample it when I can.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 27th January 2010 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    Guerlain, now Serge Lutens? Ah, how the mighty are falling as time marches on. Too many releases. Serge disses the very concept that made his brand...sounds like he is even bored with his own line...
    Yes, I think you are right! He seems to confirm that in an interview just published by Osmoz, which almost sounds like a farewell :

“If I found something tomorrow that made for a more intense break with my past than perfumery did, I wouldn’t have any trouble leaving perfumery behind”

Read On

Last edited by narcus; 28th January 2010 at 06:49 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Basenotes Institution

This one sounds dreadful.

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    Yes, I you're right! He seems to confirms that in an interview just published by Osmoz, which almost sounds like a farewell :

“If I found something tomorrow that made for a more intense break with my past than perfumery did, I wouldn’t have any trouble leaving perfumery behind”

Read On

This is must read material. It makes me a bit sad actually. A couple of things that struck me:

(1) On the new fragrance:

it’s not cologne. I hate cologne. Nor is it truly perfume. It’s more like an eau de cleanliness. Refined, nuanced... It’s like stepping out of the bath. Like putting on a freshly ironed shirt, or slipping into a bed with clean sheets…

(2) On what and when he wears fragrance:

I hardly ever wear fragrance. Only when I go out on the town. Which is to say three times a year. And every time, I pour on a whole bottle of Cuir Mauresque. (!!!!)

I feel badly not for the new fragrance, but that he is distancing himself from his past work.

I really must try this new fragrance just the same! Just so curious!
    Last edited by scentsitivity; 27th January 2010 at 04:06 PM.

Serge Lutens, Le Créateur
    Mr. Lutens has always been a bit of an enigma. I understand and respect his profound statement, If I found something tomorrow that made for a more intense break with my past than perfumery did, I wouldn’t have any trouble leaving perfumery behind.”
    Inside every one of us there's a desire for the next big thing, a thing that will shake our world once again before we die. If there wasn't hope for this, we'd already have one foot in our graves. I think what Mr. Lutens is saying here is that his work in perfumery has been the single most important thing that has happened to him, and if by chance anything effects him as much ever again, he'll yield to its power.
    Serge Lutens is an artist who's shares his ideas on a very personal level - your skin. I find his creations profound. With all of them, Mr. Lutens has said something from inside his mind and heart.
    I do not make demands of Mr. Lutens, as he is a creator and not a slave. I'm not an impatient diner, sitting at a restaurant table, shouting at the wait staff. I am a guest in Mr. Luten's home and I am grateful for the hospitality he shares with me. Walk in to his Palais-Royal boutique and his staff will hold the test strips up to your nose, one by one, until you decide you've found one that strikes you. At that point, if you wish, they will apply some to your wrist and let you go to decide if it works for you or not. No sales pitch, just pure respect for your personal choice.
    Mr. Lutens could retire from creating perfumes tomorrow and I would be forever grateful and satisfied with his incredible achievements that span over 30 years, from Nombre Noir to L'Eau.
    Like so many great artists, he's decided to change his style and explore new realms. Are Pablo Picasso, Igor Stravinsky or Bob Dylan dismissed for doing this same thing? Of course not.
    Serge Lutens, creative genius, makes an Eau that is not a cologne. Good for him.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 28th January 2010 at 02:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    I received my sample yesterday, but was out all day so didn't get to try it until last nigt.

It awful, really I mean ye gods its awful. LOL I got in the opening something like cheap lemon washing up liquid. Then it developed into something you would sniff in a washing powder on a supermarket shelf!!!!! I swear I wouldn't buy it to wash my clothes in!!!!!!!

Chris Sheldrake please come back to work at Serge Lutens. Yes I know you have left the brand, but please come back.
    I have to disagree. There is nothing that points towards soap or lawndry IMO. I insist that the closest thing to it is Ormonde Jayne Frangipani.

Plenty of people seem to agree on its soapy/detergent qualities, cpk. You might not pick up on it, others obviously do. But this is not a question of being right or wrong, it's a question of personal interpretation. If you get something sweet and sour, fruity and floral out of L'Eau and enjoy it, that's great.

I don't think L'Eau is a disaster, it just doesn't interest me.

Imo
    Last edited by cpk; 27th January 2010 at 04:59 PM.

If i am tuned into this right, the man seems to have an epiphany and is less enthralled with a world he once was enamored with.
    I think the best of his line to this point has been for women, Arabie being an extremely sexy scent on a female.
    He now is awash with minimalism and things sterile, eastern and/or western i can't say until i smell it.

I love it. I'm currently exploring masculine woody fragrances and other almost-not-there-fragrances. This one ends up among the latter hehe. I have to order samples of Dior Escale à Portofino and Guerlain Cologne du 68. I'm getting one of the three.

Thumbs up Re: New Serge Lutens Export Launch (And it's Fresh?)

Absolutely gorgeous perfume, very fresh and very unusual. Longevity is magnificent.
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=5]
    Like so many great artists, he's decided to change his style and explore new realms. Are Pablo Picasso, Igor Stravinsky or Bob Dylan dismissed for doing this same thing? Of course not.
    [/B]
    Well, it sounds like Gendarme all over again to me, or worse. Perfume Shrine really tried to put some philosophical spin on it, but in the end it still came across as a reactionary fresh linen thing. I'd be the first to say that Lutens has exhausted Marrakech exoticism, or more positively, done it in so many great ways - but if Picasso had started painting Kink-aid landscapes after the Demoiselles, or Stravinsky done MUZAK, or Bob Dylan silly Christmas ditties (hey wait - let's make that a CD of CREED covers I think they would have been dismissed. But, of course, I'll withhold judgement until I've smelled the dang thing.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Well, it sounds like Gendarme all over again to me, or worse. Perfume Shrine really tried to put some philosophical spin on it, but in the end it still came across as a reactionary fresh linen thing. I'd be the first to say that Lutens has exhausted Marrakech exoticism, or more positively, done it in so many great ways - but if Picasso had started painting Kink-aid landscapes after the Demoiselles, or Stravinsky done MUZAK, or Bob Dylan silly Christmas ditties (hey wait - let's make that a CD of CREED covers I think they would have been dismissed. But, of course, I'll withhold judgement until I've smelled the dang thing.
    I have to admit, it sounds like Gendarme, Pleasures and Puro Linen rolled up into one, to me, too. I'm not sure what Kink-aid is. Picasso's early paintings - the pink period, blue period, are beautiful, but rather sentimental, no? Bob Dylan's born again Christian recordings are for the most part ridiculous and it certainly is a long journey from Stravinsky' Firebird to The Flood.
    Sometimes I find the angry crowd tone here at Basenotes a bit puzzling. All I ask is, why is it so hard for some people to respect Mr. Lutens' decisions?
    He's a person first.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 31st January 2010 at 01:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Thats one of the reasons I am not a big fan of reviews at blogs such as Perfume Shrine, Bois de Jasmin, and others - the use of flowery language to disguise the negative impressions of a perfume from a fave house...not gonna happen here at Basenotes, we tell it like it is, not matter if its Creed, Lutens or Chanel !
    -