Code of Conduct

Default Creed Silver Mountain Water vs. Bond no.9 Hamptons

I've come to a strange place. I owned Hamptons for a short time over the summer, ended up selling it for some obscure reason, and now find myself craving "that smell".

So, in the interest of expanding my nose, I smelled Silver Mountain Water at a local Bloomies, and instantly found the similarities. A full spray at about 6PM seemed to fully become a skin scent, undetectable unless nose pressed to skin by about 1AM later that night, which leads me to believe the rumors about SMW's lack of longevity are true.

I've found this smell nowhere else, which leads me to want to repurchase the Bond again, so can anyone sway me to SMW? I've read every single thread about this issue on Basenotes and still cannot decide. I won't be able to retest either of these until Sunday, so I turn to you Basenotes!
    Last edited by Sokkou; 27th November 2009 at 05:04 AM.

Default Re: Creed Silver Mountain Water vs. Bond no.9 Hamptons

I prefer SMW. Both are great but Hamptons had some kind of synthetic twang that seemed to irritate my nose. When I owned SMW, I got 12 hours until I took my nightly shower out of it. So, it had excellent longevity and sillage on me me. You can't go wrong with either. Some claim that SMW has a sour tart note which Hamptons doesn't have. I don't get that but these seem to be some issues for and against. Ultimately, I can sway you either way. I prefer SMW but Hamptons might be easier to wear. I need to test it again. Just thinking out loud.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Basenotes Plus

I'd go for SMW without question. I suppose the old issues of skin chemistry are as relevant as ever but for me both the lasting power and projection are absolutely top notch. Hamptons doesn't give the same vibe and is nowhere near as good IMHO.
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 14th August 2012 at 04:05 PM.

I prefer SMW and have superb longevity and sillage that lasts over 12 hours

Go with SMW

Go with SMW, Hamptons smells like hairspray

SMW all the way!

I own both. SMW was my first niche purchase I think. Hamptons to me is more of a sharp floral while SMW is more about the currant + what I call the gasoline note. The main difference to me is that SMW dries down to the famous creed house basenotes. Ambergris, vanilla and musk (if I remember correctly ) and loses it sharpness rather quickly ( at least compared to Hamptons). I get above average longevity with both but the top notes are gone in 2 hours with SMW. I like the creed dry down so this isn't an issue for me. Ultimately it's just about what you prefer. I find myself reaching for the Creed more often by a large margin.

Next time you go maybe ask for samples of both and take each of them for a test drive individually. Though the top notes are similar they end as two different scents to my nose.
    Last edited by Futami; 27th November 2009 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Grammer

I prefer SMW.

I have owned both , and they smell 98 percent a like to me . The 2 percent gives the SMW the edge on smell but I have issues with every Creed that I have owned with sillage and longevity therefore I have rid myself of every Creed that I owned.

Thanks Futami, and everyone else! I do enjoy the sharp aspect Hamptons had, it almost smelled like Ocean Water by Yankee Candle, and really captured some of the salty, marine aspects of the ocean I love, as I go to school inland a few hours now and I've lived on the beach my whole life.

My fear with Silver Mountain Water is it drying down to a flat nondescript and losing that zest that makes it so appealing, but I remember one morning smelling some Hamptons I had sprayed on my arm the night before, and the smell being so strange I ended up selling my bottle that day.

Further input is much appreciated!

Just purchase the Bond JK the decision should be which one you like better.

Quote Originally Posted by ANGIESDOEBOY View Post
    Go with SMW, Hamptons smells like hairspray
    Thye both have the hairspray note, SMW just covers it and camouflages it successfully with naturals. Mix SMW with GIT nad the feminine cheap synthetic notes bloom.

But definitely go with SMW, it's the superior scent here, the sour currant note and thicker/better/more natural base, trump the extra helping of corn syrup that's in Hamptons. Both have very good longevity and sillage on me, so what would normally be a Bond advantage is nullified here.

I can smell SMW on a shirt a week later when I'm sorting laundry.

Both Great frags. But I prefer SMW

I've never owned a fragrance that got me more compliments than SMW.

This is slightly thread necromancy but SMW lasts and lasts on me.

I think its very rich and sharp at first which may induce quick olfactory fatigue.

These days I prefer Hamptons for that "twang" that comes from a note that is almost similar to one found in Sung Homme. There's more "edge" to Hamptons, where SMW is a smoother scent. SMW got to be a little boring to me, so I sold it.

Silver Mountain Water slaughters Hamptons with extreme prejudice and not a drop of sweat.

Here is my ranking for scents done in the SMW style:

1. Xerjoff Casamorati 1888 Mefisto
    2. Montale Boise Fruite
    3. Silver Mountain Water
    4. Al Rehab Silver
    5. Bond No. 9 Hamptons

Have yet to try Surrati Silver Sultan, Surrati Silver Mountain, or Silver Water by Ard Al Zaafaran, all of which I assume to be some degree of SMW clones.

I still prefer SMW and own it.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by denec View Post
    I prefer SMW and have superb longevity and sillage that lasts over 12 hours

+1. If I spray clothing...its on there for countless days.

SMW (this is a beatdown!)

With all summer scents that dont last forever, I just carry a little pocket atomizer. SMW projects for 3-4 solid hrs, then dies around the 6 hr mark. If I wear it to work, I just put on 2 more sprays at lunch and enjoy the shit out of it.

Both are similar, but I prefer Silver Mountain Water. It has a more pronounced tea note.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    These days I prefer Hamptons for that "twang" that comes from a note that is almost similar to one found in Sung Homme. There's more "edge" to Hamptons, where SMW is a smoother scent. SMW got to be a little boring to me, so I sold it.
    All by myself, don't wanna be, all by myself...

The cheese stands alone. How sad.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Hamptons smells like 1/2 Silver Mountain Water, 1/2 Snapple Iced Tea.

Overall, SMW is both much better quality and much better value.

I much prefer SMW. Hamptons has a synthetic smell that I just cannot get past. I get great longevity out of SMW, but obviously skin chemistry matters.

Dependent

silver

Silver Mountain Water is the one I enjoy more. I changed my mind after owning Hanptons for a while and the lime blossom was a bit too creamy and artificial.
    If you dislike the "ink" screechy note Silver Mountain Water has (which I enjoy) then get Hamptons. If you like/not bothered with it easily get Silver Mountain Water.
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

SMW is the winner for me.