Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question What happened to Vibert's reviews and recent posts?

I was reading some reviews in the directory and noticed Vibert's reviews have turned into a line of dashes, so are his recent posts. What happened?

Default Re: What happened to Vibert's reviews and recent posts?

Either his account has been hacked or he suddenly got real paranoid.

I just copied and saved the text of the reviews of his that haven't been edited to dashes, in case he is in fact hacked and doesn't have backup copies of the text anywhere.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I suspect it might be due to the plagiarism issues he posted about on Basenotes, but only Vibert can accurately answer your question.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Blog Entries

Weird. If it were just the reviews, I'd suspect it was some kind of updating over the holiday weekend, but the posts, too?

I'm sure there are system backups, but still, WTF?

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    ...I just copied and saved the text of the reviews of his that haven't been edited to dashes, in case he is in fact hacked and doesn't have backup copies of the text anywhere.
    That's one of those few I would h a t e to get lost! ... Vibert you're in my scrapbook now. Hope you don't mind!
    Last edited by narcus; 27th November 2009 at 05:39 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Basenotes Plus

Is Vibert under Witness Protection Programme or something? Hmmm...maybe he's compiling them into a book!

That's too bad. He will be missed. Reminds me of pluran's.

Pretty much all his reviews are gone now.... kind of creepy. I really appreciated his reviews and posts on BN! Hopefully he'll chime in and explain what's going on.
    Sales thread here

Basenotes Institution

Vibert- where are you ?
    I did love Vibert's reviews and posts
    Does anyone know what has happened ?
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Mods? Someone clear this up!
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

AromiErotici

His last post was yesterday afternoon.

That's so odd... I hope Fragrantica didn't sign him to a multi year contract...

I, too, hope this gets cleared up. I find Vibert's contributions--especially his reviews--to be truly invaluable.

Keeping my fingers crossed....

Calm down people, its the Thanksgiving/Black Friday weekend here and he's probably spending time with his real family instead of the scent-obsessed one .. give the guy a break ..
    -

I'll just mention that I've been submitting fairly long reviews for quite a while now, and none of them have yet to appear. This is my main complaint with BN, because over at MUA, the review is posted immediately. I would hate to see a rival site siphon away a lot of BNers because of this, which I have yet to see an good explanation for.

I'm smelling the top-notes of a rat here.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Hey, if someone is paying Vibert good money to write up reviews for their site, more power to him !

Don't perfume reviews published on BN become BN / Grant's property
    'Il mondo dei profumi un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Hillaire

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Hey, if someone is paying Vibert good money to write up reviews for their site, more power to him !
    I hope so!

I think we need to call The National Enquirer!

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    I think we need to call The National Enquirer!
    No need bro. I'll give you my ex-wife's cell number. She could have taught Columbo a thing or two.

I truly, truly hope Vibert is not voluntarily removing his reviews. He and his reviews are an asset to Basenotes.

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    Don't perfume reviews published on BN become BN / Grant's property
    Reviews remain your intellectual property. By adding your review you grant BN the license to use it. Here's a post by Grant on this topic:
    http://community.basenotes.net/showp...7&postcount=18

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    No need bro. I'll give you my ex-wife's cell number. She could have taught Columbo a thing or two.
    Aromi !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

This is really disappointing.

He now has two reviews left.

Hope we can get to the bottom of this.

I'm glad many others are also concerned with this issue. I hope we can hear from Vibert on it.

Is this a sad day for basenotes? Something tells me it might be. Of course if Vibert is removing these so they can be published in a book then wonderful and congratulations are in order, but it just seems a little odd . . . the last couple of dozen thread posts edited out as well?

The plot thickens...
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

I've always greatly enjoyed Vibert's reviews and comments. I hope this will turn out to have been some weird computer glitch. Vibert, come back!
    For swap/sale: Vintage Tiffany for Men, 1 Million Absolutely Gold, Prada Amber pour Homme DELUXE version, Loewe Pour Homme, Pure Malt 2013, Floris Vetiver, Charriol Royal Leather, Dior Homme Intense, Chanel PMC, M7 gel, Roma (women's), Spicebomb, Trussardi Uomo, Obsession, others...
    http://tiny.cc/rd8ptw
    (swaps)
    http://tinyurl.com/a7qoley
    (sales)

My instinct would tell me that his account has been hacked. I could be wrong, but blanking out 700+ reviews and 20+ posts would take a loooooooooooooooooooooooooong time to do manually.

If everything related to you disappear from a site/forum one day it is obvious that you have done something fishy.
    Of course everything is possible and that could be one of many cases.
    Reading this thread one can get the impression that he was plagiarizing himself on the other site.
    I do have faith though that something else is going on.
    Last edited by steve_123; 28th November 2009 at 12:26 PM.

I've not heard from him, but i have removed all the blanked out reviews from the site, as it just looks odd. I hope he's okay.

Thanks for the update, Grant.

When and if you do hear from him, I hope you'll pass on anything you find out (assuming that doing so is ok with Vibert himself, of course). This site really wouldn't be the same without him or his reviews!

I think Vibert is voluntarily removing his content, because it has progressed gradually. He also removed his avatar, blocked his wardrobe and is not taking any IM's. I hope he is ok!

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    I think Vibert is voluntarily removing his content, because it has progressed gradually. He also removed his avatar, blocked his wardrobe and is not taking any IM's. I hope he is ok!
    Hm. Ok, so this to me sounds like he is withdrawing in any and every way possible, which I must say I find a little surprising.
    Still, people's motivations for doing things are numerous and pretty-much none of our business, so all I can do is wish him well.

Any of Vibert's friends might contact him to his private e-mail address in order to know what happened to him: of course, he / she does not have to post the reasons for his withdrawal if Vibert does not wish to. So, this would be a good chance in order to let him know there are people in the community missing him, and state a well-deserved farewell if he decided not to come back.
    Last edited by Pollux; 28th November 2009 at 04:35 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Yeah, if you must leave, at least do say 'goodbye'. I'm having a tough time not thinking about 'alien abduction' here...

AromiErotici

I simply wish him well because I respect him and like him also. He was a catalyst for me in this hobby.

If this is his choice and has chosen to extricate himself from the community for personal reasons, I only hope everything is okay for him and his family.

What would be extremely upsetting is if this wasn't his idea.

Losing Vibert and his reviews would be a great loss indeed. Vibert, if you publish a book I'd buy it at once! If you start a blog or any other outlet for your reviews I'd subscribe!

I always perked up in reading a fragrance's reviews when I saw Vibert's icon come up, I knew at once I was in the presence of a Master nose and a gifted writer. Even when I liked something he didn't or vice versa, I had a better understanding of why.

Vibert come back, somewhere!

this is shocking...he is my top reviewer and one of the kindest soul on basenotes. i hope he is ok and i also hope we didnt offend him in anyway to take such a step...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    this is shocking...he is my top reviewer and one of the kindest soul on basenotes. i hope he is ok and i also hope we didnt offend him in anyway to take such a step...
    I agree completely. Vibert is a good and sensible person. I would trust that if he has a reason, it is a good reason we would all agree with. What worries me is that this might be due to some kind of harrassment, plagiarism, identity theft, or the like. What would not worry me as much would be if he signed a book deal of some kind, and was asked to remove his content. However, that would strike me as counterproductive, since community membership seems to strengthen noses, rather than weakening them.

This shows how important he is to this community. Best wishes, Vibert, whatever is happening! If you need our help in any way, just ask. You have this entire community of internet-savvy folks ready to assist you if need be.

Basenotes Plus

Difficult to visualise BN without Vibert. Sincerely hope all is OK. Respect and best wishes to him regardless of whatever's happened.
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 28th November 2009 at 05:53 PM.

I would assume Vibert's doing just fine and daddy as logging onto basenotes and clearing all reviews / online identity would ideally be the least of any unwell person's concerns. I'd be curious to know the real cause though...

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

I hope that whatever is happening is not related to this thread, which touches on the quality and value of BN reviews vs. "professional" reviews. Or at least, not in a negative way. If he's off to publish his own book of perfume reviews, I'm sure it will be terrific.

What's strange is that he's been posting not just a lot of new reviews lately, but he was also revising a lot of his old ones. Something "big" must be going on, and it's likely we will know fairly soon (if he wants to sell a book, for example), unless he just decided he needed to go "cold turkey" on the frag obsession! LOL.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 28th November 2009 at 08:46 PM.

this is a sad day if he leaves. i am new but based all my purchases on his opinions

Cool Re: What happened to Vibert's reviews and recent posts?

Vibert had such amazing reviews, he was probably one of the few truly great writers on Basenotes. Maybe he has experienced fragrance fatigue and found new hobbies and interests to devote his time to? Wherever you are Vibert, I wish you well. You are gone, but not forgotten! Thanks for all the great Basenotes Reviews!

I'm honestly surprised that we haven't gotten to the bottom of this yet. I echo all the previous sentiments about Vibert being an incredibly valued member here on BN. Unfortunately I don't know him well enough personally to go searching for him, but he's been around here long enough that I'd figure he knew more than a few BNer personally. Hopefully someone is able to contact him outside of BN, and clear this up once and for all.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Cool Re: What happened to Vibert's reviews and recent posts?

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    I'm honestly surprised that we haven't gotten to the bottom of this yet.
    Yet?

Erm, 'we' cannot get to the bottom unless Vibert chooses to drop in and join this discussion, right?
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Th Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Quote Originally Posted by Stereotomy View Post
    Yet?

Erm, 'we' cannot get to the bottom unless Vibert chooses to drop in and join this discussion, right?
    I suppose so, but like I said, I'm sure he has made quite a few friends in his time here. I don't think he needs to stop by for us to get to the bottom of it.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 28th November 2009 at 09:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    I suppose so, but like I said, I'm sure he has made quite a few friends in his time here. I don't he needs to stop by for us to get to the bottom of it.
    ^
    What he said.

I think its time we stop this premature eulogy and stop bumping this thread to the top over and over.
    -

Off-Scenter

I had hoped to simply slip away from Basenotes more or less unnoticed, and had I been able to contact Grant by PM to bow out, I would not be posting here at all. However, given all of the amusing/alarming conjecture, I'll post this last time just to settle the confusion and provide some closure.

So for those who care to know:

Yes, I am, if you will, "resigning" from Basenotes, for reasons of my own. My account has not been hacked, and I have not suffered any personal catastrophe. I have withdrawn my reviews because I find their content and quality embarrassing and the thought of them lying around where they can be read disturbs me. I have no plans to publish a book on fragrance - something I am manifestly unqualified to do - nor do I plan to post fragrance reviews or blog on fragrance anywhere else on the 'net.

Basenotes is a great resource and a wonderful community, and I have enjoyed participating, but it's time I moved on. I'm sorry if my exit disappoints anybody, but it's hardly important in the grand scheme of things. To those who have been supportive, I give my thanks, and to those who have been antagonistic, my blessings.

Ho finito!

Vibert

Sorry to hear that you are leaving sir. I wish you the best.

And most importantly, thank you for your posts and reviews. And how you treated me very kindly and generously as well.

Take care and all the best.

I wish you would change your mind Vibert, as many of us started out as newbees with your reviews - that are excellent, not embarrassing - as a guide.

But all in all, good luck with your endeavours and hopefully you will return.

The thing is, no matter how "bad" your reviews are (and yours are among the best, Vibert), they contribute to a comprehensive understanding of how they are perceived, so even the not-so-good ones can be very useful. However, I can understand the "burn out" factor, especially for those who do a lot of sampling. I was doing that for a while and decided that I should stop and begin to appreciate what I have (swapping off what I realized I could never enjoy). I've given up various "hobbies" in my life, but I often come back to them, even if it's at much lower level of intensity, so my advice is not to "burn bridges" in your mind, but to put thoughts about frags on the "back burner" for a while, and see if anything percolates up to the surface. Enjoy the non-frag life !

All the best, Vibert.

Goodbye and good luck, Vibert--you will be missed!!!

How about just taking a break for a few months? Don't throw the baby out with the bath water!
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    I had hoped to simply slip away from Basenotes more or less unnoticed, and had I been able to contact Grant by PM to bow out, I would not be posting here at all. However, given all of the amusing/alarming conjecture, I'll post this last time just to settle the confusion and provide some closure.

So for those who care to know:

Yes, I am, if you will, "resigning" from Basenotes, for reasons of my own. My account has not been hacked, and I have not suffered any personal catastrophe. I have withdrawn my reviews because I find their content and quality embarrassing and the thought of them lying around where they can be read disturbs me. I have no plans to publish a book on fragrance - something I am manifestly unqualified to do - nor do I plan to post fragrance reviews or blog on fragrance anywhere else on the 'net.

Basenotes is a great resource and a wonderful community, and I have enjoyed participating, but it's time I moved on. I'm sorry if my exit disappoints anybody, but it's hardly important in the grand scheme of things. To those who have been supportive, I give my thanks, and to those who have been antagonistic, my blessings.

Ho finito!

Vibert
    Andrew.......you didn't perhaps get your reviews mixed up with mine somehow, did you? I have the market cornered on embarrassing reviews my friend and I can now see you are extremely hard on yourself.

Regardless of what you think of the body of work you shared here, IT WAS GOOD and IT HELPED many members decide and learn.

I understand your decision bro. Life is timing.....and it's your time to move on to something new. Thanks for some terrific info and also for your personal generosity. Whether you realize it or not, you epitomized what a good member is and I Thank You for that.

Best of luck. You will be missed here.

Good luck, Vibert. You will be sorely missed.

As much as I'm going to miss Vibert's reviews (which I honestly valued more than any other perfume reviews, on or off basenotes), it saddens me more that he seems to have become embarrassed by them.

Any critical writing involves a certain self-exposure. I don't write perfume reviews. But I do write book reviews. So I have some idea of what it feels like to put one's opinions out there with your name on them. And describing scents is somehow more personal.

Whether or not we ever get to see your wonderful reviews again, Vibert, I hope you'll come to understand that there was nothing, nothing at all, remotely embarrassing about their content or their quality. They were an important part of what made this place special. They've helped guide my own experimentation in the world of perfume. I know I'm not alone. I think I speak for many when I say that you'll be thought of fondly by those of us lucky enough to have been BNers during your heyday!