Code of Conduct

Default smallish niche bottles

I'm thinking about dabbling in a limited number of niche lines after a year and half of trying and buying a lot of designer, so here's a question for the cognoscenti:

Which niche brands sell smallish bottle sizes? Money isn't an issue really, but I know that even 50 mL is multiple lifetime supplies for me, so I might as well save some space in my collection (i.e. cardboard box). This will strongly affect which lines I seek samples of.

So far I've been able to identify

Annick Goutals in 25 mLs
    Jo Malones in 30 mLs
    Parfums de Nicolai in 30 mLs
    Diptyques in sets of 3 large minis, 12 mLs each

Are there any others in this size range (say 15-30ish) among other "big" niche houses? I can't recall ever seeing this discussed.

Thx!

Default Re: smallish niche bottles

How I wish 30 ml was a standard size for all houses . . . perfect.

The Hermessence line is offered in 15 ml. I believe you can now select any 4 from the line and purchase a sampler boxset at Hermes boutiques.

I read recently Parfumerie Generale are offering 30 ml - perhaps someone could confirm?

Andy Tauer's Memorables line, whose first (and so far only) member is the wonderful Rose Chypree, comes in 15ml bottles.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post

The Hermessence line is offered in 15 ml. I believe you can now select any 4 from the line and purchase a sampler boxset at Hermes boutiques.

I read recently Parfumerie Generale are offering 30 ml - perhaps someone could confirm?

I was at the hermes boutique recently and they will not allow you to mix and match you have to get all of the same for the 15 ml travel set

Quote Originally Posted by denec View Post
    I was at the hermes boutique recently and they will not allow you to mix and match you have to get all of the same for the 15 ml travel set
    Bummer.

A couple of weeks ago here I looked in and they said it was 'new policy' and I could pick any four. A year ago they only sold the 'stock set' of AN / VT / RI and I think the Poivre one. Come to think of it maybe it was Osmanthe Yunnan and not the Vetiver . . .

Maybe some territories do and some don't - or they changed their mind again. Mix and match any 4 strikes me as a hell of a good way to get sales moving and introduce the line to people who can't spring for the full bottle.
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 28th November 2009 at 06:55 AM.

Serge Lutens has those 15ml minis though I think they're gifts. Montale has 20ml bottles but those are freebies and not for sale, but you can buy them on Ebay and ThePerfumedCourt. By Kilian & Czech & Speake (I think only No. 88) have small travel sprays. Le Labo have 15ml bottles.

Nasomatto have 30ml extrait bottles.

Nasomatto only sell in 30ml sizes, give them a go. Le Labo online sells 15ml bottles. Frederic Malle sells sets of 3x10ml travel sprayers, some singles are easily found on ebay, and if you buy a 3 pack for yourself you could swap for other Frederic Malle 10ml sprayers. Ormonde Jayne and the women's Amouage and The Different Company also come in travel-sized sets.

The Serge Lutens minis are very cute, but I've never seen them on sale before.

Le Labo has 15ml spray bottles

edit: Already mentioned above me
    Last edited by adonis; 28th November 2009 at 11:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post

Yes Parfumerie Generale will be offering 30mL sizes for the numbered collection. However, I don't know when they will be available in the US. The Limited edition and Private Collection will still only be available in 50/100mL sizes.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by Redbeard View Post
    I'm thinking about dabbling in a limited number of niche lines after a year and half of trying and buying a lot of designer, so here's a question for the cognoscenti:
    Personally I think that if all you want is a small amount (<30mL) of niche fragrances then the solution is to build a collection of decants; like many BN'er's have done. That way you can get 5 - 8mL of those frgarances that you like but will wear only a few times a year and get larger sizes (15 - 30mL) of those fragrances that will get more use.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

OK thanks guys...I'll have to check some of these out.

I have been slowly weighting my collection toward 8-10 mL decants...I guess I may just have to do that with niche...the minor caveats being that you don't get the cool box and bottle. More importantly, though, I just don't trust decants not to lose solvent over the slow timescale I will use them, and TPC's skinny 8 mL bottles are very awkward to deal with. I guess I'll need to buy more of my decants from BNers directly.