Code of Conduct

Default On Reformulation: is ignorance bliss?

I've been interested in fragrances since the early 1990s, and until I read the Turin/Sanchez book and subsequently joined BN, I knew nothing about reformulations of fragrances. Whenever I replenished a bottle of cologne and it smelled different from what I had remembered, I just assumed the new bottle was fresh, or that my old bottle had turned, or that it was just my sense of smell, etc.. Due to my ignorance, I was never disappointed with my new bottles.

Since joining BN, I've noticed that about half of the discussions here turn on "vintage vs. new" formulations, and I've found myself getting drawn into the discussions.

Life seemed a lot simpler (and in a way better ) when I was ignorant about this stuff.

Anyone else feel this way?

AromiErotici

Default Re: On Reformulation: is ignorance bliss?

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    I've been interested in fragrances since the early 1990s, and until I read the Turin/Sanchez book and subsequently joined BN, I knew nothing about reformulations of fragrances. Whenever I replenished a bottle of cologne and it smelled different from what I had remembered, I just assumed the new bottle was fresh, or that my old bottle had turned, or that it was just my sense of smell, etc.. Due to my ignorance, I was never disappointed with my new bottles.

Since joining BN, I've noticed that about half of the discussions here turn on "vintage vs. new" formulations, and I've found myself getting drawn into the discussions.

Life seemed a lot simpler (and in a way better ) when I was ignorant about this stuff.

Anyone else feel this way?
    Understood. We all become discerning after joining and then staying on as part of the community. We cannot "unlearn", so in effect, we are ruined for all time.

In the past, I have noticed that fragrances have been tweaked, but at the time I didn't realise that they were actually reformulated. I feel that the industry is doing its best to keep us in the dark. What you usually get from SAs are vague statements about batches, age of the fragrance, skin chemistry... And the manufacturers don't announce that they're releasing new versions of old favourites.

But I was disappointed even back then if fragrances didn't smell "right", I was never blissfully ignorant.
    Last edited by tott; 28th November 2009 at 04:02 PM.

Taking into account I really liked some of the scents I owned before my interest in fragrances (Antaeus and Equipage comming to mind), replacing them would have meant finding out they did not smell the way they used to. So, this would have been an issue one way or another.

Base Notes let me know that there is something called reformulation, and BNoters made me aware of the qualities of differences, so all this comes up as a positive exercise.
    Last edited by Pollux; 28th November 2009 at 04:31 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Yeah, sometimes I too wish I had taken the Blue Pill. Too late now....

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Yeah, sometimes I too wish I had taken the Blue Pill. Too late now....
    Nicely put.

My first real 'Cologne' was Crabtree & Evelyn Mysore Santal in the early 80s. It was a step up for me (or at least I thought so at the time) into real grown up stuff after wearing essential oils in the 70s. I loved it - bracing and enervating out of the bottle and then a smooth Sandalwood vibe for a few hours after that. Then at some point I bought a new bottle and it seemed somehow sickly sweet. I figured they were dumbing it down for a wider market and moved on (to Creed GIT as it happens).

The problem now that I know more is the mental hand wringing about which ones to get back ups of before the last run disappears and the new improved IFRA compliant gelded version elbows it's way into the party and announces 'I'm the replacement guy'.

Yeh - maybe ignorance (innocence) was bliss.
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 28th November 2009 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by diamondflame View Post
    yeah, sometimes i too wish i had taken the blue pill. Too late now....
    lol :d

I for one am thankful to have this knowledge. I think it is good to know that certain fragrances have been reformulated, and that I should either focus my energy on finding the vintage, or just look elsewhere if the vintage is too expensive or too hard to find. It has also taught me that if there is a modern release that I fall in love with, I should grab a back-up of it as reformulation can come at anytime and without warning (see M7)...

Sometimes, yes.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Ignorance can be bliss as in some cases you do not miss what you have never experienced. I loved the Old Spice aftershave formula for its spicy bite there was no mistaking it.

Now they have messed with the formula and have muted the scent to some degree. If its not broke do not try to fix it.

I don't think I've ever finished a bottle and bought another one before.
    Spring/Summer Wardrobe: vetiver extraordinaire, rose 31, terre d'hermes!

If you have and love the "good old" stuff and don't know about the new, you remain content until you actually finish and replace the bottle, which could be an infinite length of time.

If you have and love the "boring new" stuff and don't know about the old, you never get pissed off unless maybe you replace it with an old bottle by accident and can tell the difference.

Of course, anyone on BN will have read about the reformulation of their favorite, regardless of whether their favorite is the "before" or the "after".

The fruit of knowledge can never be puked up...it's there to dwell forever! (how poetic)

I would always rather know if my Frags have been reformulated, though I'm sure life would be easier if I did'nt know. So yes, I guess ignorance is bliss.