Code of Conduct

Thumbs up Bulgari and it's fascination with Tea accord in scents

Bulgari has time and again fascinated us with astounding releases based around a rather uncanny note..an accord based around tea..and boy did they make it a statement. im sure many before would have tried it...but i guess it'd be fair to say no one did it with as much conviction as Bulgari did. They even roped in one of the finest perfumers of our times to create the Eau Parfumée series... just a breif snap shot of some of the offerings (that i have sampled)

Bulgari Black 1998
    Bulgari pour Homme 1995
    Bulgari pour Homme Extreme 1999
    Bulgari pour Homme Soir 2006
    Eau Parfumée au Thé Blanc 2003
    Eau Parfumée au Thé Rouge 2005
    Eau Parfumée au Thé Vert 1993
    Eau Parfumée au Thé Vert Extreme 2000

Anyone else here who admires this brand for this very same reason...?

Default Re: Bulgari and it's fascination with Tea accord in scents

J.C. Ellena's Eau Parfumée au Thé Vert Extreme still remains the standout scent in this collection IMO.

Blog Entries

I agree - tea has almost become the house accord. I think it's wonderful, too. Bulgari Black will always be a love of mine because of its tea, which is almost better than most real teas. I would go so far as to call it sexy - truly an achievement in perfumery.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

According to Chandler Burr (The Perfect Scent), J C Ellena was the first perfumer to introduce the tea note which Bulgari used to scent their boutiques. Apparently, their customers loved it so much they snapped up the $350 bottles... I suppose that was how Bvlgari came to use 'tea' as a signature or house note. Funny enough, before Bvlgari, the idea of tea-inspired fragrance had been rejected by other big design houses. Ellena the visionary had it tough-going for a while.
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 28th November 2009 at 04:27 PM.

Nobody does tea like Bulgari.

Two of my favorites from this house are Bulgari Black and Eau Parfumée au Thé Rouge.

Thé Rouge has excellent longevity on my skin, lasting well over 10 hours. With it's spicy pink pepper notes (Red Tea, Seville Orange, Bergamot, Pink Pepper, Walnut, Musk, Balsamic Notes), Thé Rouge is a perfect cold weather scent for me.

It's curious that Bulgari Black didn't end up with a name like "Eau Parfumée au Thé Noir."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bossanova_boy View Post
    It's curious that Bulgari Black didn't end up with a name like "Eau Parfumée au Thé Noir."
    Man, I like that!

Sur la Plage

I think their obession with the tea accord is why I really don't like this house very much.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Out of curiosity, how does the Bvlgari tea accord compare to that of GPH II?

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    According to Chandler Burr (The Perfect Scent), J C Ellena was the first perfumer to introduce the tea note which Bulgari used to scent their boutiques. Apparently, their customers loved it so much they snapped up the $350 bottles... I suppose that was how Bvlgari came to use 'tea' as a signature or house note. Funny enough, before Bvlgari, the idea of tea-inspired fragrance had been rejected by other big design houses. Ellena the visionary had it tough-going for a while.
    interesting piece of insight - thanks much for sharing...my love for JC Ellena's work grows by leaps and knows no bounds.

Quote Originally Posted by bossanova_boy View Post
    you just changed my perspective of this scent by that name love it !

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    J.C. Ellena's Eau Parfumée au Thé Vert Extreme still remains the standout scent in this collection IMO.
    Agreed !

Tea notes can smell great, but they just don't have the dynamism that would lead me to buy a bottle unless there is something else of interest going on. Lately, I've found myself enjoying Ungaro Apparition Intense and M; Men, for instance, but I just get bored with the Bvlgari tea frags, though I do like the smell itself.

I have often thought of Bulgari as a pretty decent and consistent "house". Yet, the tea associations were never really what impressed me, but just rather the brands ability to put out well thought out releases.

Not all there fragrances are for ME, but if the mass public ( I know I am being judgmental here ) would appreciate Bulgari like Jenson ( and many Basenoters do), then the world would smell much better.