Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 31 of 31
  1. #1
    N_Tesla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    The Golden West
    Posts
    4,587
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    2

    Lightbulb Oakmoss, My kingdom for Oakmoss.

    Is there still some fragrances out there that contain real deal ingredients in their original proportions? Pour homme or pour femme? Give me a list please. I want to live on the edge!
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 28th November 2009 at 07:50 PM.

  2. #2
    DULLAH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    4,461
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Oakmoss, My kingdom for Oakmoss.

    Of all the oakmoss absolutes I've smelled, and all the oakmoss drydowns I've smelled, the one that smelled closest to a natural Oakmoss soliflore drydown, was the 1993 formulation of "Jacques Fath Green Water". A very interesting and high quality green scent that i describe in detail in one of the "green" thread titles. It's somewhat of an earthier selection verte.

  3. #3
    Asha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,166
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Oakmoss, My kingdom for Oakmoss.

    Tesla, you may want to investigate AbdesSalaam Attar Profumo Oak Moss--it is all natural, so certainly will contain the real thing.

    There are still quite a few commercial fragrances that contain oakmoss--they just restrict the quantity. The most oakmoss-heavy contemporary scent I have is Miller Harris Cuir d'Oranger. Other frags that have it in smaller quantities include Chanel No.19 and Hermes Eau d'Orange Verte.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Oakmoss, My kingdom for Oakmoss.

    C&S's Oxford and Cambridge has a lot of real oakmoss in the drydown. It blends beautifully with the lavender.
    ***For sale:

    Iris Pallida 50ml

    Ungaro I 75ml

    and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

  5. #5

    Default Re: Oakmoss, My kingdom for Oakmoss.

    Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    C&S's Oxford and Cambridge has a lot of real oakmoss in the drydown. It blends beautifully with the lavender.
    I notice both of my recently purchased bottles of No. 88 and Frankincense and Myrrh have oakmoss extract listed in the ingredients. Will these be replaced soon or is a little bit of oakmoss ok with the new rules?

  6. #6
    Dane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,887
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Oakmoss, My kingdom for Oakmoss.

    ^ it's not completely prohibited, just restricted.

    I retested Armani's Oranger (whatever the next word is) and, now that Chanel Pour Monsieur has been tampered with, a good alternative. Not sure if there's much oakmoss in there, but they've given a good impression that there is.

  7. #7

    Strollyourlobster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    3,056
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Oakmoss, My kingdom for Oakmoss.

    I just ordered some Mousse de Chene by L'Aromarine, and I've got great hopes for it. I'll let you know.

  8. #8
    sables's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Frankfurt Main
    Posts
    675
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Oakmoss, My kingdom for Oakmoss.

    Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    ^ it's not completely prohibited, just restricted.
    Youre right, its not prohibited, but restricted - limited up to 0,1% in the finished product. Vintage Mitsouko is told to have about 5%!!
    So, there is no kingdom for oakmoss and treemoss left, just a little, very little county!

    http://www.ifraorg.org/Home/Code,+St...s/page.aspx/56

  9. #9

    Strollyourlobster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    3,056
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Oakmoss, My kingdom for Oakmoss.

    I've asked this question before on the Make Yer Own threads, but I'm not sure I've ever gotten a completely straight answer. What would happen if you just bought by-God oakmoss absolute and added it to the modern version of Mitouko, for instance? Wd you end up with something closer to the original or would you unbalance the frag in nasty ways?

  10. #10
    SoGent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Deep South
    Posts
    1,380
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Oakmoss, My kingdom for Oakmoss.

    Quote Originally Posted by Strollyourlobster View Post
    I've asked this question before on the Make Yer Own threads, but I'm not sure I've ever gotten a completely straight answer. What would happen if you just bought by-God oakmoss absolute and added it to the modern version of Mitouko, for instance? Wd you end up with something closer to the original or would you unbalance the frag in nasty ways?
    Not if you decant several equal amounts of your target frag & mixed with the oakmoss in varying percentages. This will give the opportunity to test each 'concentration' to render the one you like best. Word of advice - let your mix(es) sit for at least a week, with intermittent shakes so the oakmoss can integrate. It works.

  11. #11

    Strollyourlobster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    3,056
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Oakmoss, My kingdom for Oakmoss.

    Thanks, SoGent! Have you tried this? Good results?

  12. #12
    Basenotes Institution
    Mimi Gardenia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Exactly Where I Should Be
    Posts
    16,343
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Oakmoss, My kingdom for Oakmoss.

    Quote Originally Posted by SoGent View Post
    Not if you decant several equal amounts of your target frag & mixed with the oakmoss in varying percentages. This will give the opportunity to test each 'concentration' to render the one you like best. Word of advice - let your mix(es) sit for at least a week, with intermittent shakes so the oakmoss can integrate. It works.
    Hmmm- excellent food for thought. Line up for 'homemade Mitsouko - original and best ! Like moonlighting !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

  13. #13
    SoGent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Deep South
    Posts
    1,380
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Oakmoss, My kingdom for Oakmoss.

    Quote Originally Posted by Strollyourlobster View Post
    Thanks, SoGent! Have you tried this? Good results?
    Yes I have . . . . bumping the oakmoss in Guerlain's reformulated Vetyver
    adding beaver musk to several leather frag's . . . . additional 'woodiness' to cadjmere etc

    It's just enhancing a particular note I may enjoy in a product when I feel it could use a boost.

    The trick is integration time and starting small with the addtions working UP 'cause you certainly can't subtract from a mix.

  14. #14
    SoGent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Deep South
    Posts
    1,380
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Oakmoss, My kingdom for Oakmoss.

    Quote Originally Posted by mysticknot View Post
    Hmmm- excellent food for thought. Line up for 'homemade Mitsouko - original and best ! Like moonlighting !
    Moonlighting for the moonlight as it were.

  15. #15
    Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Diamondflame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,032
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Oakmoss, My kingdom for Oakmoss.

    Interesting and excellent idea. Imagine - a souped up Mitsouko! Your personal reformulation of a classic, eh? Time to invest in that chemistry set too, huh?

  16. #16

    Strollyourlobster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    3,056
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Oakmoss, My kingdom for Oakmoss.

    This is a very exciting idea to me. And it seems so natural. Oakmoss is, after all, readily available and quite cheap.

  17. #17
    odysseusm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    4,161
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Oakmoss, My kingdom for Oakmoss.

    Be warned that oakmoss EO is VERY concentrated stuff. I have good quality oil, sourced out of Yugoslavia, Evernia Prunastri . I took a pin and put two tiny micro-dots in a simmering potpourri of water, about 3 tbsp. Well, that filled the room with a deep woody mossy smell. For my nose, it got overwhelmingly rich after a while (and I like oakmoss). So my point is that you might have to do a tincture of a tincture to get the level down to what you'd have in a bottle.
    odysseusm

    "The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

  18. #18
    surreality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,137
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Oakmoss, My kingdom for Oakmoss.

    Quote Originally Posted by sables View Post
    Youre right, its not prohibited, but restricted - limited up to 0,1% in the finished product. Vintage Mitsouko is told to have about 5%!!
    So, there is no kingdom for oakmoss and treemoss left, just a little, very little county!

    http://www.ifraorg.org/Home/Code,+St...s/page.aspx/56
    Is that 5% of the total composition of the perfume oils or 5% in the diluted ready-to-wear fragrance?
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

  19. #19
    Basenotes Institution
    Mimi Gardenia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Exactly Where I Should Be
    Posts
    16,343
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Oakmoss, My kingdom for Oakmoss.

    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Interesting and excellent idea. Imagine - a souped up Mitsouko! Your personal reformulation of a classic, eh? Time to invest in that chemistry set too, huh?
    I think so ... oooh, I feel so much better about reformulations now I can make my own . ( Ever the control freak that I am ! ) Basteri has a whole farm of oakmoss - I shall have to buy mine from him !
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 1st December 2009 at 02:55 PM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

  20. #20
    Dane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,887
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Oakmoss, My kingdom for Oakmoss.

    Quote Originally Posted by surreality View Post
    Is that 5% of the total composition of the perfume oils or 5% in the diluted ready-to-wear fragrance?
    5% of the perfume-concentrate.

  21. #21
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    25,696
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Oakmoss, My kingdom for Oakmoss.

    Quote Originally Posted by Strollyourlobster View Post
    I just ordered some Mousse de Chene by L'Aromarine, and I've got great hopes for it. I'll let you know.
    Great idea! Wonderful (yet linear) stuff, but if it's oakmoss you want this is a great affordable option.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 2nd December 2009 at 02:24 AM.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

    -- Jack Kerouac

  22. #22
    rogalal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Berkeley, California
    Posts
    3,356
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    33

    Default Re: Oakmoss, My kingdom for Oakmoss.

    Parfums Regence, the people behind Kolnisch Junchten, have a scent called simply Oakmoss.

    I've smelled it and it's basically the mossiest chypre you could possibly imagine.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

  23. #23
    sables's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Frankfurt Main
    Posts
    675
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Oakmoss, My kingdom for Oakmoss.

    Quote Originally Posted by surreality View Post
    Is that 5% of the total composition of the perfume oils or 5% in the diluted ready-to-wear fragrance?
    Here is my source:

    http://1000fragrances.blogspot.com/2...ouko-note.html

    Octavian refers to the extrait and Im quite sure that means 5% of the un-diluted fragrance.

  24. #24

    Default Re: Oakmoss, My kingdom for Oakmoss.

    Because of the dilution factor, EdTs and even moreso, EdCs could actually have more oakmoss in them than EdPs (more oakmoss as a percentage of the formula, anyhow). Just something to consider.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 2nd December 2009 at 09:10 AM.
    ***For sale:

    Iris Pallida 50ml

    Ungaro I 75ml

    and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

  25. #25
    Delmar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Oslo
    Posts
    1,396
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Oakmoss, My kingdom for Oakmoss.

    I'd recommend Frederic Malle's Vetiver Extraordinaire. It had been sitting unused for some time now but yesterday I just had on one spritz on one lower arm / elbow region yesterday morning. Well into the afternoon, a co-worker (with a very good nose) came over and said whatever I had on was very good. VE has a very sizable dose of Evernia Prunastri extract which is the real thing, i.e. oakmoss. You really should try it if you haven't.

  26. #26
    Dane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,887
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Oakmoss, My kingdom for Oakmoss.

    Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Because of the dilution factor, EdTs and even moreso, EdCs could actually have more oakmoss in them than EdPs (more oakmoss as a percentage of the formula, anyhow). Just something to consider.
    I don't understand?

  27. #27
    kumquat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Posts
    7,168
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    93

    Default Re: Oakmoss, My kingdom for Oakmoss.

    Quote Originally Posted by Delmar View Post
    I'd recommend Frederic Malle's Vetiver Extraordinaire. It had been sitting unused for some time now but yesterday I just had on one spritz on one lower arm / elbow region yesterday morning. Well into the afternoon, a co-worker (with a very good nose) came over and said whatever I had on was very good. VE has a very sizable dose of Evernia Prunastri extract which is the real thing, i.e. oakmoss. You really should try it if you haven't.
    I didn't realize this. That may be why I liked this one so much right away. I thought it was one the best vetivers out there. It certainly is velvety smooth and deep!

  28. #28

    Default Re: Oakmoss, My kingdom for Oakmoss.

    Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    I don't understand?
    Well, the reason that is so because the ultimate limitation is 0.1% of the final product.

    So, let's just compare some numbers...

    Let's say we have oakmoss at 5% of the perfume concentrate. What percent is that of the final product? Well, that depends on the dilution level of the perfume concentrate. Let's do some math*:

    EdC concentration - 3% perfume oil to 97% alcohol. Let's assume this is a 100ml bottle. 3% of 100ml is 3ml, so there is 3ml of juice, total. Now, 5% of that (the oakmoss) = 3 * .05 which = 0.15ml. That's the amount of actual pure oakmoss in the bottle. But what percentage is that of 100ml? Well, 100ml = 100% of the product so .15ml = 0.15%. That's still too high. With a dilution of 3% perfume oils, we could only use 3.33% oakmoss to end up at the 0.1% of final product IFRA limitation.

    If we have an EdT at 10% dilution, we can only use 1% oakmoss in the perfume concentrate to = 0.1% of the final product.

    If we have a EdP at 20% dilution, we can only use 0.5% oakmoss in the perfume concentrate to stay within the IFRA limits.

    As you can see, the higher the ratio of perfume oil to alcohol (the higher the concentration), the lower the amount of oakmoss in the concentrate has to be.


    *The easier math is to just multiply out 3% * 5% (.03 * .05) to arrive at the .15% number (.03 * .05 = 0.0015 = .15%) but as this is not as illustrative of the concept I went with the more long-winded version shown above.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 2nd December 2009 at 10:29 PM.
    ***For sale:

    Iris Pallida 50ml

    Ungaro I 75ml

    and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

  29. #29

    Strollyourlobster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    3,056
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Oakmoss, My kingdom for Oakmoss.

    Received my Mousse de Chene by L'Aromarine today. At first what registered was mainly lemon. I had expected something that smelled woody and so I was at first not clear that I even had the right stuff. As it dried down it developed in a couple ways. One is it turned a bit salty, and I recognized that salty facet of several florals that I love, particularly Bandit and Odalisque. It also developed a kind of soapy/loamy/powdery thing. It's very complex and pleasant but also a good deal more shrill than what I had imagined. I suppose I was expecting something that behaved more like a basenote and smelled more like forest floor. What I got--and of course I have no idea what's actually in the stuff--remains almost citric, pungent, along with the other qualities I've described.
    The other thing that seems clear is that one aspect of several very dear eau de colognes that I had thought was rose, is mostly oakmoss. I'm thinking of Chanel Pour Homme, Monsieur de Givenchy, and Acqua di Parma Colonia in particular, but lots of others. Also helped me make sense of a weird note that had always bothered me in Azzaro pour Homme.
    Clearly I'm going to have to get some of the solid and dilute my own to finally know what it smells like, but do I seem to be describing oakmoss, those of you who know?

  30. #30
    SoGent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Deep South
    Posts
    1,380
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Oakmoss, My kingdom for Oakmoss.

    EXACTLY my thoughts too lobster . . . . Mousse de Chene is NOWHERE near unadulterated oakmoss - it was compared with my solid dilution.

    You may be happier going DIY, I know I was.


    Quote Originally Posted by Strollyourlobster View Post
    Received my Mousse de Chene by L'Aromarine today. At first what registered was mainly lemon. I had expected something that smelled woody and so I was at first not clear that I even had the right stuff. As it dried down it developed in a couple ways. One is it turned a bit salty, and I recognized that salty facet of several florals that I love, particularly Bandit and Odalisque. It also developed a kind of soapy/loamy/powdery thing. It's very complex and pleasant but also a good deal more shrill than what I had imagined. I suppose I was expecting something that behaved more like a basenote and smelled more like forest floor. What I got--and of course I have no idea what's actually in the stuff--remains almost citric, pungent, along with the other qualities I've described.
    The other thing that seems clear is that one aspect of several very dear eau de colognes that I had thought was rose, is mostly oakmoss. I'm thinking of Chanel Pour Homme, Monsieur de Givenchy, and Acqua di Parma Colonia in particular, but lots of others. Also helped me make sense of a weird note that had always bothered me in Azzaro pour Homme.
    Clearly I'm going to have to get some of the solid and dilute my own to finally know what it smells like, but do I seem to be describing oakmoss, those of you who know?
    Last edited by SoGent; 9th December 2009 at 01:14 PM.

  31. #31
    Asha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,166
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Oakmoss, My kingdom for Oakmoss.

    Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Well, the reason that is so because the ultimate limitation is 0.1% of the final product.

    So, let's just compare some numbers...

    Let's say we have oakmoss at 5% of the perfume concentrate. What percent is that of the final product? Well, that depends on the dilution level of the perfume concentrate. Let's do some math*:

    EdC concentration - 3% perfume oil to 97% alcohol. Let's assume this is a 100ml bottle. 3% of 100ml is 3ml, so there is 3ml of juice, total. Now, 5% of that (the oakmoss) = 3 * .05 which = 0.15ml. That's the amount of actual pure oakmoss in the bottle. But what percentage is that of 100ml? Well, 100ml = 100% of the product so .15ml = 0.15%. That's still too high. With a dilution of 3% perfume oils, we could only use 3.33% oakmoss to end up at the 0.1% of final product IFRA limitation.

    If we have an EdT at 10% dilution, we can only use 1% oakmoss in the perfume concentrate to = 0.1% of the final product.

    If we have a EdP at 20% dilution, we can only use 0.5% oakmoss in the perfume concentrate to stay within the IFRA limits.

    As you can see, the higher the ratio of perfume oil to alcohol (the higher the concentration), the lower the amount of oakmoss in the concentrate has to be.


    *The easier math is to just multiply out 3% * 5% (.03 * .05) to arrive at the .15% number (.03 * .05 = 0.0015 = .15%) but as this is not as illustrative of the concept I went with the more long-winded version shown above.
    I think what you are saying is...not that you will have MORE oakmoss in the bottle, because you can have 0.1% of oakmoss in any 100 ml, regardless of whether it is EDC, EDT, etc. However, you will have a larger PROPORTION of oakmoss in relation to the entire composition if you produce it as an EDC.

Similar Threads

  1. Oakmoss
    By Asha in forum Note Pad: Single Note Exploration
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 5th April 2013, 09:29 PM
  2. Fans of original Guerlain Vetiver must-read
    By sumandre in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 19th July 2012, 10:44 PM
  3. Looking for a masculine chypre?
    By auee in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 87
    Last Post: 15th January 2012, 06:40 PM
  4. Reviews: Kingdom & Ambre Canelle (warning- graphic!)
    By Indie_Guy in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 29th April 2007, 08:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •