Code of Conduct
Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Thread: Pure Malt

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pure Malt

Quote Originally Posted by MJM_77 View Post
    I have a question. If most of you guys are buying up all their inventory for the purpose of jacking up the price and selling it, who the hell are you going to sell it to? That's so foul!
    Who cares who PM is sold to? As long as there's willing buyers then that's all that matters, and I have a good feeling that there'll be plenty of those.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fuster Cluck View Post
    Who cares who PM is sold to? As long as there's willing buyers then that's all that matters, and I have a good feeling that there'll be plenty of those.
    Attitudes like that are the reason why a fragrance like Pure Coffee sells for triple the price online! We are all supposed to be looking out for one another, hence the word " community ".

Basenotes Junkie N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

A bunch of people who only care about themselves. That's what it sounds like.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    A bunch of people who only care about themselves. That's what it sounds like.
    Sounds about right to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dudester! View Post
    Is PM up still for sale? Looks like they took it off.
    It is possible that Mugler has already sold all of their stock. I've contacted their customer service today and they said they would keep the Pure Malt panel up as long as they have stock available.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MassMenace View Post
    OMG! Totally bought 10 backup bottles because some Youtube idiot told me to! Seriously, you're all being a bunch of sheep.
    It's only 70 bucks--who cares.

And you can't really fault the people who are buying multiple bottles and have the intent of reselling...especially when these bottles are fetching double their price on more on Ebay. Smart move, if anything.
    What I've been wearing far too much of lately:

-Amouage Lyric Man
    -Guerlain Gourmand Coquin
    -Creed Jardin d'Amalfi

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Exactly. If people are willing to pay $300 for my Pure Coffee then it's their decision and my profit
    There's quite a difference between being selfish and having a good sense of how economics works IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Epic_Scent View Post
    Exactly. If people are willing to pay $300 for my Pure Coffee then it's their decision and my profit
    There's quite a difference between being selfish and having a good sense of how economics works IMO.
    I agree. Plus if people are willing to shell out that amount of cash without exploring other frags in that price range then their loss.

I'm not talking about the people who are reselling, I'm talking about the people who for some reason feel that if they don't buy 4 bottles of a rare fragrance, then it will be the end of the world. A 100ml of PM could easily last you 2 years..maybe even more considering how many fragrances you already have. It's just another YT hype fest.

I'm not talking about the people who are reselling, I'm talking about the people who for some reason feel that if they don't buy 4 bottles of a rare fragrance, then it will be the end of the world. A 100ml of PM could easily last you 2 years..maybe even more considering how many fragrances you already have. It's just another YT hype fest.
    Oh ok but yea I agree with you. I only have 7 frags but I bought pure malt 6 or so months ago and the juice level is still close to the tip of the star. P

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Trust me, even nowadays the YT FragComm vets don't even think that highly of Pure Malt once the novelty of it wore off late last year.

P.S. We've traveled to niche land and we're not coming back for a while.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't believe I missed this... I just got home from work thinking the lack of release last night meant that it wasn't happening...dammit!

AromiErotici

I use it as a bathroom air freshener by heavily spraying a washcloth and leaving it on the towel rack. It works better than Glade IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hollandaze View Post
    Trust me, even nowadays the YT FragComm vets don't even think that highly of Pure Malt once the novelty of it wore off late last year.

P.S. We've traveled to niche land and we're not coming back for a while.
    I'm in this boat, though i needed this bottle for collection purposes as i missed out last time around. With the exception of Pure Coffee, i have no intentions on purchasing any more designer fragrances every purchase will be niche.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How many Pure Malt should we Get?

I saw a thread about curing heart disease and I thought "Oh no not another Pure Malt thread."
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AZsmells View Post
    I saw a thread about curing heart disease and I thought "Oh no not another Pure Malt thread."
    Only Aventus can do that. And only if drank. Though as with everything regarding Creed, it depends on the batch numbers. The A series have only been known to cure lesser colds and nasal congestion so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    No doubt. We're going to REALLY freak out on the day they open Fort Knox up to daylight and find out that it's housing nothing but billions of bottles of Paco Rabanne 1 Million!
    LMAO

I'm old enough to remember when the guv'mint (no pun intended - or at least a different one) printed ( :smirk: ) these pamphlets saying not to worry - cupro-nickel coinage would be just as valuable as silver - Gresham's law wouldn't apply - the silver would circulate along with it forever - yada, yada, yada.

So when you hear that announcement that Paco Rabanne 1 Million is just as valuable as gold........ and you need to trade in your gold for Paco Rabanne 1 Million....... Yeah. Don't be "that chump".

Quote Originally Posted by hobbes22 View Post
    As others have said, this is a cold weather winter fragrance and/or a night out scent. Pretty limited occasions for use. It's doubtful you'll finish a whole bottle any time soon, unless your entire wardrobe consists of Pure Malt (although judging from these Pure Malt threads, that is a distinct possibility).

Plus you're all stocking up on six+ bottles of Dior Homme Intense before it goes extinct, right?
    Lol so true. I was actually thinking about swaping my backup bottle of Pure Malt for backup bottle of Dior Homme Intense because I find DHI more wearable daily, while Pure Malt for me is Pure Parties fragrance that I dont attend that often anymore.

It is insanity to buy many back up bottles unless people are sure that they want to spend rest of their lifes with Pure Malt. It is good? Yes, it is, but Mugler is obviously gona shoot their flankers every year and if we have to buy backup bottles of Pure Havane, Pure Coffee, Pure Chilli etc, there won't be place for anything else in wardrobe. So I say, *uck them, buy 1 bottle of whatever you like but there WILL ALWAYS BE SOMETHING NEW & BETTER released in future. And then there is niche.. OMG, I sampled just 6 niche fragrances so far and I already found that 3 of them are much better and higher quality ingredients than Pure Malt.
    Current TOP 5 from my collection:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    4. Encre Noire
    5. Dior Homme Intense

Post Thanks / Like

Just for the sake of curiosity, Dudester, please, please, please, please, PLEASE tell me you bought Pure Malt this time around?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Damn it's gone already? I wish I had purchased more. I only purchased TEN. hehehe

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm 22 and my 54 year old day has been getting into my Pure Malt stock. He loves the stuff so I will be giving him one of the two bottles I bought. He then said he remembers how I used to get into the liquor cabinet for his Glenfiddich when I was 18 and I never thought he knew about that lol.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

By the way, anyone else feel like Ebay charges too much for sales? Even if I sell mine at cost I would have to charge $95 per bottle (95 reduced by 10% for ebay fees, reduced by 3% for paypal fees, reduced by $5 for shipping = $75 which is what I paid per bottle).

Quote Originally Posted by Cerel9 View Post
    By the way, anyone else feel like Ebay charges too much for sales? Even if I sell mine at cost I would have to charge $95 per bottle (95 reduced by 10% for ebay fees, reduced by 3% for paypal fees, reduced by $5 for shipping = $75 which is what I paid per bottle).
    Yes, the fees are horrendous!! If you were to offer a bottle on Basenotes, to me for instance, you'd get a better profit

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boosh View Post
    Yes, the fees are horrendous!! If you were to offer a bottle on Basenotes, to me for instance, you'd get a better profit
    +1 to this. I'll give you $80 plus shipping no problem.

Ok- It looks like I've been hiding and living under a rock. I am about to buy a couple of bottles of this from a guy I know. The real deal. I might have to sell them on Ebay I'm a real 70's and 80's fragrance guy so I thought I'd find out what all the shouting's about with this one.
    La vita breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, my bottle shipped out today...I used the free shipping and it says I should get it by Sept. 9th. I anxiously await!

-Amouage Lyric Man
    -Creed Jardin d'Amalfi

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Partario View Post
    Only Aventus can do that. And only if drank. Though as with everything regarding Creed, it depends on the batch numbers. The A series have only been known to cure lesser colds and nasal congestion so far.
    And only if its the right batch number, LOL!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cjbee View Post
    Well, my bottle shipped out today...I used the free shipping and it says I should get it by Sept. 9th. I anxiously await!
    I couldn't get them to ship to Canada?
    "Live in each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each!" - Henry David Thoreau

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by telecaster View Post
    I couldn't get them to ship to Canada?
    I know...they don't ship to Canada. I used a shipping service in Sumas, Washington: www.myshiphappens.com

So when the package arrives there, all I have to do is drive across the border to pick it up. I live right near the border so it's not a big deal.

-Amouage Lyric Man
    -Creed Jardin d'Amalfi

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cjbee View Post
    I know...they don't ship to Canada. I used a shipping service in Sumas, Washington: www.myshiphappens.com

So when the package arrives there, all I have to do is drive across the border to pick it up. I live right near the border so it's not a big deal.
    Excellent idea cjbee!
    "Live in each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each!" - Henry David Thoreau

Post Thanks / Like

Super quick shipping. Mine showed up today -- Sept. 2nd. Anyone else?
    "Christian Dior / You wasted your life
    On aroma and clothes / Fabric and dyes." Christian Dior - Morrissey

Post Thanks / Like

Still waiting on my order.

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing yet. I did get my tracking info same day.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine arrived today as well!

Post Thanks / Like

I hope they release this again.. I'm pretty bummed that I missed out. Hopefully I won't run out before they bring it back.

Post Thanks / Like

How about that, my bank denied the charge to my credit card. Well, here's to next time.

Order was cancelled, grrr.

"Hello:

Thank you for shopping on Mugler.com!

When we went to process your order, we were informed that Thierry
    Mugler A*Men Pure Malt was sold out due to overwhelming demand. You
    will not be charged for this order, and we apologize for the
    inconvenience."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 577Nitroexp View Post
    Order was cancelled, grrr.

"Hello:

inconvenience."
    Wow I guess they weren't kidding when they said limited quantities. Sorry to hear, but I'm sure given how quickly this sold out Mugler will do another go around with Pure Malt at some point soon and if not, the market is now saturated with people who ordered several bottles of this so hopefully that will drive prices on ebay and other retailers down for you

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Screw This :(

Apparently when I ordered Pure Malt I got the order confirmation number. But just got an email and voice message that due to overwhelming demand, PM was very limited and So my order was canceled. I couldn't believe it. I placed the order the same time everyone else did you know, the 30th of August early on for 2 bottles so I thought I was set. . Now I will not receive Pure Malt. Oh well, it's just a stupid cologne right? Well whatever I guess.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Screw This :(

i'm very sorry for your tremendous loss but was there something else here that warranted an entire new thread when there was already a pure malt thread which had others users writing similar experiences as yours?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Screw This :(

There will be plenty up for sale on Ebay and on this website. Snag one of those. Crappy luck, but, a bit funny if you really step back and look at it...

I go the same email;

Hello:

inconvenience.

You will be the first to be notified if this item becomes available
    again.

If you also like A*Men Pure Coffee and A*Men Pure Havane, register for
    our Newsletter on http://www.muglerstoreusa.com/. The registration
    button is in the upper right-hand corner. Soon we will have limited
    quantities back in stock and available only in Private Sale.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Thierry Mugler Consumer Relations

Post Thanks / Like

Well that pretty much confirms Pure Coffee's re-release.
    Splits!

Roja Amber Aoud & Tom Ford Tobacco Oud --------> http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...d-Fleur-splits

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Surprised that quite a few others got it too. They probably only made 40 or so, not enough. You'd expect like 200 to be enough.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, I got the "order cancelled" email as well

Post Thanks / Like

That sucks for all who didn't get their order put in in time. Lucky me, I snagged 2 bottles early on.

Post Thanks / Like

In light of this disappointment, I will consider purchasing a niche bottle either New Haarlem or Musc Ravageur. Can't decide which one though i like them both.

Post Thanks / Like

I got the same email and just laughed and then immediately came here to see what dudester had to say about it. Classic.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

My order went through, tried it a few times and just flipped it to a BNer.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Just a friendly reminder:

3.5 For Sale / Swap posts are not permitted in the Discussion boards

Posts of this type may only be placed in the Basenotes Marketplace. There are certain restricitions as to who can post on these boards which can be read here

I have deleted some posts that sound suspiciously like trade/sale/buy solicitations.

Why did it take them so long to figure out they couldn't honor our orders? Heh, talk about underestimating demand. Or is it they just don't have the materials to make it? Not only did the sale not last a full day, customer orders are being canceled left and right.

Post Thanks / Like

Any way you look at it this was a major PR disaster for Mugler. From Circle Members not being notified first, to the sale not starting anywhere close to the advertised time, to the product page going up and down from the website several times, to finally now not being able to fulfill a good number of orders, they really would have been better off not even doing this re-release.

Given how low their supply was and how poorly they managed taking orders in regards to that low supply, the number of satisfied customers to unsatisfied customers breaks even, if not leaning significantly towards the latter. Especially considering that a good percentage of the customers who had their orders fulfilled weren't looking to buy for themselves but rather to sell on ebay at a profit, a lot of people who were waiting for this and hoping to buy it for personal use were left out in the cold (or thinking that their order went through to only be told about it a number of days later). It's hard to imagine a company screwing up something so simple so bad, but at the same time what else is new?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    I got the same email and just laughed and then immediately came here to see what dudester had to say about it. Classic.
    Actually bro, I'm glad I did not receive it in retrospect. Not only was 150 dollars credited back for 2 bottles, but I told myself I no longer have any interest in frags that are limited edition, since at the end of the day it will never be available again, so the enjoyment is ephemeral and gratuitous. Indeed I'm glad I did not receive it. I have now overlooked it. In sum, I am actually glad that I did not have to deal with it or have it, because I took this as an experience and as a lesson to forgo my undue frustration with some fragrances. There is a plethora of good smelling things out there which are just as good if not better than PM, and I for one don't care about the fragrance industry much now after this. I'm glad this happened. Otherwise my obsessions would have just reverberated. This was a blessing in disguise. But enjoy it to those who have it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dudester! View Post
    Surprised that quite a few others got it too. They probably only made 40 or so, not enough. You'd expect like 200 to be enough.
    Actually the Mugler rep told me they had about 200, so even that much wasn't enough, since they probably disappeared within the first hour or so.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually the Mugler rep told me they had about 200, so even that much wasn't enough, since they probably disappeared within the first hour or so.
    I'm surprised they would do a limited release with just 200 bottles. They went through this headache just to make $12,000 in sales? Doesn't seem worth it.

And for anyone paying more than $100 for a bottle, you should look around and find scents more deserving of your money. There are better offerings for the price these are going for on ebay.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm surprised they would do a limited release with just 200 bottles. They went through this headache just to make $12,000 in sales? Doesn't seem worth it.
    I have no way of being sure one way or the other, but considering the amount the released and the the rushed, messy, sloppy, and unprofessional method of sales, that these were probably just unsold stock, and they realized they had a market that they could burn them on.

Just a hypothesis though.

Post Thanks / Like

I have no way of being sure one way or the other, but considering the amount the released and the the rushed, messy, sloppy, and unprofessional method of sales, that these were probably just unsold stock, and they realized they had a market that they could burn them on.

Just a hypothesis though.
    Hmm this is a possibility. If they start to re-release other limited editions like Pure Coffee and Pure Havanne, then I think that would indicate an increase in actual production, not just selling old inventory. In this case, I can't imagine anyone restarting production on a fragrance just to make 200 bottles.

I wonder what is involved with reproducing a fragrance, like if they have a facility for making Pure Havanne, how much would it cost for them to switch it to Pure Coffee/Malt? This is a simplification, as I'd guess a lot of production might be outsourced/contracted out.

Post Thanks / Like

And for anyone paying more than $100 for a bottle, you should look around and find scents more deserving of your money. There are better offerings for the price these are going for on ebay.
    It would be hard to believe that they would go through all that hard work and sweat to produce only a few hundred bottles. However i do believe that whatever the amount of PM bottles they produced, it sold out pretty quick. There's too many of us who were demanding for those bottles and too many of us who would go to extremes to order massive bulks of PM and resell it for additional profit. On their end there were simply too many orders and they probably weren't able to keep up and check to make sure they had enough PM in stock. Many of them probably had no idea until much later that they've depleted their stock early on that morning/early afternoon. In the end it was a huge mess and most people's feelings got hurt by it (including mine) and in some ways it feels discouraging to try to business with them again when it comes to ordering limited editions that are available for a few hours or less. We'll have to see if the re-release for Pure Coffee will end in the same result: a lot of happy people or a lot of people with hurt feelings.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    We'll have to see if the re-release for Pure Coffee will end in the same result: a lot of happy people or a lot of people with hurt feelings.
    Well I'd hope they would learn a lesson from this and at least produce more bottles to sell. No reason not too, more profit for them, more happy customers.

They should send an email to their newsletter subscribers asking if they would buy a bottle of Pure Coffee/Malt/Havane. Get a better idea of demand, and at least produce enough bottles for each of their newsletter subscribers who indicate interest.

Also, it might make sense to limit orders so more product gets into the hands of people that will use it, not sell it for profit.

Post Thanks / Like

I just got my PM today (sorry to rub it in for those who weren't in time).

It was a blind buy, I had no idea what to expect. It is an interesting frag... definitely sweet and malty, like a triple bock beer wort before they add the hops. There is also some amount of whiskey and a creamy vanilla note as well.

Seems very unique, not something I'd expect in a designer frag. The quality also seems good. I'll have to wear it a few times to see if it's going to work for me...