Code of Conduct
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Pure Malt

Default Re: Official A*Men Pure Malt Re-Release: Fall 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Akalucas View Post
    Does anybody know if the packages received from fragrancenet though UPS require signature or will they just leave the box outside
    I've found that UPS will need a signature unless there is a note left on the door saying to leave it from the recipient.

Quote Originally Posted by fitch256 View Post
    I've found that UPS will need a signature unless there is a note left on the door saying to leave it from the recipient.
    I can vouch for this. I usually just tape a note with my signature to my door giving my permission to leave the package.

Isn't that incredibly risky? Leaving a large package outside your front door for anyone to take?

Quote Originally Posted by fitch256 View Post
    I can vouch for this. I usually just tape a note with my signature to my door giving my permission to leave the package.

No, you don't need to sign to receive a package. My brother bought the new halo game from xbox and when they delivered it no one was at home, UPS placed it in between the door and the screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Smeghead View Post
    Here is what the bottle inside looks like (obviously not the same bottle, but I'm assuming it's very similar):

Thanks

Man, basenotes.net has been extremely slow for me today....90% of the time not even loading up. Thanks for the advice, I left a note like u guys recommended. Got my two pure malts today. Both were wrapped but one of them had the wrapping open before since one of the ends was open. Seemed whoever returned it was at least careful. You can see that it was handled but it looked fine and the juice seemed all there, so im pretty happy. This was my first blind buy and thankfully I LOVE IT. Smelled incredible and my gf really loved it as well.

They have about ten bottles @ Nordstroms at Stonebriar Mall in Frisco.

Quote Originally Posted by gabystie View Post
    No, you don't need to sign to receive a package. My brother bought the new halo game from xbox and when they delivered it no one was at home, UPS placed it in between the door and the screen.
    It's not the carrier that decides whether a sig is required, it's the sender.

Exclamation A*MEN Pure Malt Re-Release MAY NOT be the same as the original

Sooo, here's the scoop:

I saw that a couple of Nordstrom's near me had the re-released A*Men Pure Malt in stock. I was like whoopee!!!

So I go down to check it out (since I missed the chance to check it out last year) and from the tester on the counter it smelled great, but just to be sure I had them make me a sample vial from that tester, and I took it home and wore it for a day.

Suffice to say - loved it. It had that smokey, boozey, sexy, intoxicating scent, and the longevity was awesome. Could still smell it 8-10 hours later on my skin.

So I go back the next day and tell them 'sold' and they take a new sealed bottle/box out of the case and hand it to me and I'm on my way. I get it home and take it out and go to spray it to wear it that evening, and immediately I could sense something was amiss.

First off, even the WAY IT SPRAYED out of the bottle was a little off, like it was a little watery or something. And right away I could tell it smelled different than the tester/sample I had tried.

There was NO smokey aspect to it whatsoever, AND it was weak, lame, and NOT all that great. I thought - hmmm, maybe I need to shake it up, or just spray more on. And the more I sprayed on, just more of the same ho-hum lameness landed on my skin.

Since I still had the little sample vial they made for me the day prior I got that out and at home tested both on sample cards, as well as my skin (left arm vs. right arm, etc), and the sample made from the tester was such a total winner, and the new bottle was just lameness. My girlfriend even agreed, and her nose is better than mine.

So - the next day back to Nordstrom's I go, to explain the situation. And the conversation goes like this:

Me: [explain the whole deal to the woman]

Saleslady: Well, that tester that's on the counter is last year's tester, we brought it back out from the back room when we got the new bottles back in stock.

Me: [Start spraying them both and show her and she agrees the difference]

Saleslady: Well, the tester's probably aged a bit, and that could account for part of it, or the new batches might be different somehow.

Me: Well whatever, the tester you have sitting here smells incredible, and that's the one I'd like, so let's just swap these out.

Saleslady: Oh, I couldn't do that, the testers aren't for resale, it says so on the back [shows me].

Me: Well, isn't that like bait and switch though? You're offering a sample of something for sale that IS NOT what you're actually delivering via the new boxes in the case, IMO. Wouldn't you be smarter to take the bottle here I want to return, and MAKE THAT you tester?? So that people smelling it know what they're getting in these wrapped up boxes in your glass case here.

Saleslady: Sqwuak, blah, blah, sqwuak...blah

Me: Okay, I'd like to speak to the manager now.

Manager comes over, could care less which bottle I want as long as I'm happy, and gives me last year's tester and sends me on my way. The tester is about 75% full, but I'd rather have 75% of a fragrance I'm ecstatic about, rather than 100% of something I honestly wouldn't wear (regarding the new bottle in the sealed box).

So BOTTOM LINE, could be one of the 3 things here:

1. The new stuff they're producing is indeed different than last year's formula. Either they changed the ingredients or the manufacturing process or something or

2. My bottle was just from a bad batch or a bad bottle in and of itself, and not representative of the rest of the new ones. Seeing as how Nordstrom's wasn't going to unwrap the other 3 brand new bottles they had in the case for me to test this possibility, we simply don't know.

3. Or, over time, say a year from now - the new ones will smell like the old ones once they've aged, but I wouldn't hold my breath for that, it literally seemed like the new bottle was MISSING one of the ingredients (at least) of last year's bottle, particularly the smokey aspect of it.

Caveat Emptor peeps. And Mr Mugler - put the steroids and the free weights down for a few minutes and do a spot check of what coming out of your factory here.

Default Re: A*MEN Pure Malt Re-Release MAY NOT be the same as the original

Could be a bad bottle. There have been more than a few other members who've bought new bottles and made no comments about it smelling different. Usually a reformulation wouldn't remove notes, or drastically change the way it inherently smells as you seem to have described here, just a bit more synthetic and maybe a very slight change in overall scent.

Hell nah, just tested it out and it has nothing special. Just like A*Men but lighter. I'm compering Play Intense with Pure Malt and Play Intense is more versatile and way better smelling. I felt I got cheated, the nordstorms SA was kissing my ass when I told her i wanted to test out Pure Malt, she said I knew my colognes and how it smelled good on me,lol but I was like "whatever lady". Then, she tells me that they had only one left.Yeah,I bought it, I'm sure they had more but they had it hidden somewhere in the back. It's still in the bag and has the plastic wrap. I'm thinking of taking it back or keeping it so I could sell it later for like One million dollars. haha.

Hell nah, just tested it out and it has nothing special. Just like A*Men but lighter. I'm compering Play Intense with Pure Malt and Play Intense is more versatile and way better smelling. I felt I got cheated....
    I had the experience of comparing the new one to the one released last year and I noticed a difference to the point that was I to be stuck with the new one I purchased out of the case at Nordstrom's, I would have returned it and got my money back and forgot about Pure Malt altogether.
    Last edited by fsface; 24th September 2010 at 08:27 PM.

Meh. Pure Malt starting to smell like, coffee shampoo.

I REALLY HOPE it was just a bad bottle. It's such a great fragrance that it should be on the market for people to buy, and not some rare commodity on ebay.

If anyone who has a bottle from last year and has bought one or more of the re-release could chime in, it might help to point things in one direction or the other.

The thing that sucks about having one or more bad bottles, is that there's not many bottles even out there from what I understand, but then again someone in the other thread said they bought 8 of the re-released ones lol.

For me, rather than roll the dice on another new bottle (and waste more of my time) today I managed to track down an unused 2009 tester for sale, of the same batch/lot number as the tester Nordstrom's finally handed over to me. I paid more for it than the going rate of $70 for the new ones, to have as a second bottle, but I love it so much a few extra bucks to have more of this is worth it.

As a note, while I was talking to the manager, the SA went out back and found a new 2010 tester that was sent to them from Mugler, but by that point I wasn't going to turn a 2-way smell test into a 3-way smell test. I was happy to get what I liked (and had originally sampled) and go home.

Hey Folks,

I got Pure Malt today and this blows away the original AMEN. In your opinion, do you see any similiarites between pure malt and L'instant Extreme?

Nick

Default 2009 Pure Malt and Re-released Stuff

Sorry to beat a dead horse with the Pure Malt subject, but I did not have the opportunity to smell this stuff when it was originally released. Has anybody who has tried both the 2009 juice and recently re-released juice noticed any differences? I know that one BNer stated that his new bottle smelled different from an old tester that Nordstrom's gave him a sample from. Has anybody else noticed any changes?

Default Re: 2009 Pure Malt and Re-released Stuff

I think the 2009 PM is the re-released stuff. I'm almost positive TM is just getting rid of excess stock from the first release.

Hell nah, just tested it out and it has nothing special. Just like A*Men but lighter. I'm compering Play Intense with Pure Malt and Play Intense is more versatile and way better smelling. I felt I got cheated, the nordstorms SA was kissing my ass when I told her i wanted to test out Pure Malt, she said I knew my colognes and how it smelled good on me,lol but I was like "whatever lady". Then, she tells me that they had only one left.Yeah,I bought it, I'm sure they had more but they had it hidden somewhere in the back. It's still in the bag and has the plastic wrap. I'm thinking of taking it back or keeping it so I could sell it later for like One million dollars. haha.
    haha like the last bit. but yeah after all the hype i was a little underwhelmed w/ PM. I like A*Men better. But still it smells great. Definitely prefer it over Play Intense no doubt.

Blog Entries

Alright time to crack my bottle open and compare. I got mine at Nordstrom's, sealed in plastic, etc.

How do you read the lot numbers on these? Ive got one bottle I bought from Nordstroms a week ago and one that I just got today from Fragrancenet.

The numbers on the nordstroms bottle are:

And from Fragrancenet its:

I wonder if the one from Fragrancenet is from 2009?

Quote Originally Posted by Neurosis View Post
    Alright time to crack my bottle open and compare. I got mine at Nordstrom's, sealed in plastic, etc.
    Please do.

I tried to compare my two bottles, but Ive had a couple beers, and while I could have swore the one from Fragrancenet had a more smokey smell, the one from Nordstroms had more pronounced malt/plasticky scent.

Blog Entries

Holy crap, this is incredible. The 2009 tester samples i had and have been wearing SUCK compared to the new one i got. The new one smells GORGEOUS. It opens up with a super-sweet boozey note; the sample did too but it was immediately smothered by an obnoxious and noxious plastic note. The new one just gets sweeter, woodier, smokier, and simply a totally different, better, and great fragrance.

I really feel like i just smelled a totally different, better fragrance

I never smelled the original but i bought the "new" one from fragrancenet. not sure if its different but i got

ALOT of berries, and whisky on the top. A bit of the plasticy note but it disappears later. I can smell the original frame and hints of chocolate, and in the end im left with
    chocolate waffer smells on me. hahaha smells nice i think

Holy crap, this is incredible. The 2009 tester samples i had and have been wearing SUCK compared to the new one i got. The new one smells GORGEOUS. It opens up with a super-sweet boozey note; the sample did too but it was immediately smothered by an obnoxious and noxious plastic note. The new one just gets sweeter, woodier, smokier, and simply a totally different, better, and great fragrance.

Are you serious ? I don't see how 1 year can make a difference in a fragrance since they didnt reformulate.
    Anyone else agree with his post ?

News on the forum suggest that the 2009 Pure Malt from fragrancenet does not compare to the 2010 Pure malt from nordstorm in that the 2010 nordstorm is way better. Can anyone confirm this ?

Quote Originally Posted by SJRTX View Post
    How do you read the lot numbers on these? Ive got one bottle I bought from Nordstroms a week ago and one that I just got today from Fragrancenet.

I really wouldn't worry too much about it.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Quote Originally Posted by fsface View Post
    I REALLY HOPE it was just a bad bottle. It's such a great fragrance that it should be on the market for people to buy, and not some rare commodity on ebay.

If anyone who has a bottle from last year and has bought one or more of the re-release could chime in, it might help to point things in one direction or the other.

The thing that sucks about having one or more bad bottles, is that there's not many bottles even out there from what I understand, but then again someone in the other thread said they bought 8 of the re-released ones lol.

For me, rather than roll the dice on another new bottle (and waste more of my time) today I managed to track down an unused 2009 tester for sale, of the same batch/lot number as the tester Nordstrom's finally handed over to me. I paid more for it than the going rate of $70 for the new ones, to have as a second bottle, but I love it so much a few extra bucks to have more of this is worth it.

As a note, while I was talking to the manager, the SA went out back and found a new 2010 tester that was sent to them from Mugler, but by that point I wasn't going to turn a 2-way smell test into a 3-way smell test. I was happy to get what I liked (and had originally sampled) and go home.
    Fragrancenet is only selling the 2009 bottles
    That weren't sold or
    Returned. Nordstrom is the only place receiving the new bottles. So if u want
    The older stuff get it from fragrancenet

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ctran019 View Post
    Are you serious ? I don't see how 1 year can make a difference in a fragrance since they didnt reformulate.
    Anyone else agree with his post ?
    Well the tester was half-empty sitting on a self in bright lights for god knows how long. It probably altered it somehow

Default Re: Re-Launch of A-Men Pure Malt?

Is Pure Malt suitable for summer and hot weather?

Quote Originally Posted by Slushiex3 View Post
    I never smelled the original but i bought the "new" one from fragrancenet. not sure if its different but i got

ALOT of berries, and whisky on the top. A bit of the plasticy note but it disappears later. I can smell the original frame and hints of chocolate, and in the end im left with
    chocolate waffer smells on me. hahaha smells nice i think
    Yeah, I get that too. It smells nice, but I would not think it so great as it's portrayed here.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniffa View Post
    Is Pure Malt suitable for summer and hot weather?
    I think it would be fine if you apply lightly, 2-3 sprays.
    +"Do you spray below the waist?"
    +"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing,
    you will be successful." - Albert Schweitzer
    +"All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you." - Dr. W. Dyer

I hope I can sell mine for a million dollars.

You are correct. The 903118/09064 is from original 2009 batch, most likely. If you look at the bottom number it denotes the year with the first two digits at the start of it, from what I can tell. i.e.:

10018 -> Denotes 2010

09064 -> Denotes 2009

Well, here's some proof there is / could be a difference between the two years. In this case Neurosis happens to like the NEWER ONE BETTER. So hey, cool that worked out for you that way. In my case the difference was a negative one, so with any fragrance personal choice I guess. But interesting we've got a second or third person here saying there IS a difference between last year's bottle and this year's "re-release".

Quote Originally Posted by ctran019 View Post
    If they are indeed making new batches (rather than shipping out old stock, which I doubt) then it could even be the suppliers where they source the raw materials from have changed something. i.e. - Mugler's manufacturer is using the exact same 'formula', machines, and raw materials to produce the fragrance, but the places where the raw materials come from have made a change somewhere.

Probably not the easiest thing for them to figure out should they admit there is a difference, but at the same time if people are buying it up and some like 2010's better than 2009's, Mugler might not care to...

Just another 'limited' aspect of each Limited Edition.

I tried to compare my two bottles, but Ive had a couple beers, and while I could have swore the one from Fragrancenet had a more smokey smell, the one from Nordstroms had more pronounced malt/plasticky scent.
    That is EXACTLY my opinion, and why I liked the 2009 better. I even said I think in my longer post about the experience that I felt the new 2010 one was totally MISSING the smokey aspect.

So I can concur on that. The smoky aspect was the main difference for me. SJRTX, maybe try another comparison once all the beers wear off lol and see if you still think the the same thing.
    Last edited by fsface; 25th September 2010 at 04:07 PM.

Anyone else notice a difference in the pure malts ?

my bottle i got from duty free is

Default Pure Malt age group?

I've just received a bottle of PM as a gift but from what I've read the genral consensus seems to be 25(around) and up. I absolutely love the smell but being a senior at hs and attending college part time do you guys think it might be too mature for my age group? I would just like to know your take at PM's age group. Or just age group in general. Thanks in advance

Default Re: Pure Malt age group?

I think 21 and above would be fine. Anyone 20 or younger, it just won't work.

Simply put, don't wear it.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Who cares. If you like it wear it. I'm 22 and I wear it.

Blog Entries

Im 18 and i wear it proudly. If you like it wear it. People told me the same thing about A*Men and im very glad i ignored their advice

I think Pure Malt is one that any age group could wear comfortably. Someone in their late teens could easily pull it off. I say hold on to it. Even if you don't wear it much now, save it for a few years. You'll be glad you did.

BTW, I hope you sensed my sarcasm Wear whatever you want. If it smells too mature and makes you feel uncomfortable, don't wear it!
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Thank you everyone for your responses. I think ill just try it out a bit more and if it doesn't work out save it for later. Thanks again

I agree with everyone who says to wear it if you like it; I don't completely understand why certain fragrances are "supposed to" be worn only by people of a certain age. (I don't completely understand supposed gender differences in many fragrances as well, but that might be the subject of another thread.)

Yeah if you don't end up liking it then you could save it for awhile and then sell it. You could make a pretty penny!
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Who is the spokesmodel for Pure Malt? I haven't seen any ads so I am not sure what group it is targeted towards. Most young people are not Scottish Whiskey drinkers so I would guess Pure Malt would not be their thing as much as a Mojito flavor, green tea, or coffee fragrance might be chosen for the young.

I have never understood the idea that fragrances are age specific. Are some fragrances better for younger people?? Of course not. After the bottle is put away and the advertisement with the actors face on it is out of the way all you have left is the fragrance itself. What you like and what makes you feel good is most important. It is true that younger people may have less experience and might be unsure of what to wear and so they just go with brands that are marketed towards their peer group. Advertising is all about owning a piece of your mind and most brands select a "face" for their image campaigns to target a particular age group. But, I recommend to not be controlled by the marketers and make your own creative decisions.

Own yourself and create yourself. Wear what you like!

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    Who is the spokesmodel for Pure Malt?
    Some guy resembling Captain Morgan meets Clint Eastwood I suppose.

i'm 17 and a senior in highschool too. I wear pure malt and love it ^ ^ my friends say they wanna eat me so meh

My twin second graders wear it and it's just fine on them. My daughter is the one who gets more enthused about it at the moment. As a scotch lover, I'd have never picked out the ''scotchiness'' in Pure Malt at all. That being said, PM is about as close to the bees knees as a fragrance can get.

Oh....They're 7 and I'm 44 so that spreads the age range around eh?

This was the only Perfume bottle that I purchased and then RETURNED for a refund the next day ( it was the new edition!) Nothing special in Pure malt, smells sweet and has that Mugler touch as usual... I don't find it necessary and I don't really see what all this HYPE is all about! and like someone mentioned already: DO NOT BLIND BUY THIS! Test it before buying and don't try to convince yourself that you like it because of what you read online.

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    This was the only Perfume bottle that I purchased and then RETURNED for a refund the next day ( it was the new edition!) Nothing special in Pure malt, smells sweet and has that Mugler touch as usual... I don't find it necessary and I don't really see what all this HYPE is all about! and like someone mentioned already: DO NOT BLIND BUY THIS! Test it before buying and don't try to convince yourself that you like it because of what you read online.
    you're right. I was really expecting this to be a 5/5 for me and when I got it, 3/5. Not my type of frag, i think its too offensive still.

fountain

Quote Originally Posted by JacquesD View Post
    I agree with everyone who says to wear it if you like it; I don't completely understand why certain fragrances are "supposed to" be worn only by people of a certain age.
    exactly.

It should be fine for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    I have never understood the idea that fragrances are age specific. Are some fragrances better for younger people?? Of course not.
    Well, itīs hard to say - I canīt imagine a young guy in his teens wearing Aramis - this would probably make me laugh (not in a bad manner)
    Iīd say there are some fragrances that are better for younger crowd and there are other, more suitable for more mature men.

Anyway I agree with the statement "Wear it if you like it" and forget about what other people think about it. If they donīt like it, itīs their problem, not yours.....

Changing the subject a bit; how many sparys and where?

yup, compared my two. One old from fragrancenet and the other purchased new from Nordstroms yesterday. The old one is certainly smoother and seems a bit "deeper" overall. However, this only lasts during the opening, once they dry down the scent is identical. The only thing I noticed and cannot be sure of this because I may not have applied the same amount of both during my side by side comparison, is that the old version seemed to be stronger on my skin.

Quote Originally Posted by LizardKing View Post
    Changing the subject a bit; how many sparys and where?
    one on the neck, one on the arm and dab

I got my first whiff of Pure Malt today at Nordstrom's and I'm pleasantly surprised I like it. It still has that Mugler twangy note in it I find in A*Men but in PM it's wrapped in a more pleasant package. I can't stand that note in A*Men but in PM it's something that I can not only 'bear' but enjoy. I think I just might be acquiring a bottle of this. I'll have to swing by and give myself a good full wearing off the tester before I do.
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsta View Post
    I got my first whiff of Pure Malt today at Nordstrom's and I'm pleasantly surprised I like it. It still has that Mugler twangy note in it I find in A*Men but in PM it's wrapped in a more pleasant package. I can't stand that note in A*Men but in PM it's something that I can not only 'bear' but enjoy. I think I just might be acquiring a bottle of this. I'll have to swing by and give myself a good full wearing off the tester before I do.
    Hey P,
    Did you get your bottle of Pure Malt yet?
    +"Do you spray below the waist?"
    +"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing,
    you will be successful." - Albert Schweitzer
    +"All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you." - Dr. W. Dyer