Code of Conduct
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Pure Malt

Default Re: Re-Launch of A-Men Pure Malt?

I got a sample to try a testing of and the first wearing wasn't working for me. It still had too much of the A*men note in it for me to enjoy it all day. I tried again a few days back and it was better second time around but not 'loving it'. Still not sure if I can wear it all day. That note gives me a headachy feel. I have Pure Coffee and have no problems whatsoever, I actually love the frag but that note is barely there in that one.
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

Post Thanks / Like

What note is it that gives you the headache? Have you been able to discover what it is?
    Last edited by Rosehavn; 1st November 2010 at 09:01 PM.
    +"Do you spray below the waist?"
    +"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing,
    you will be successful." - Albert Schweitzer
    +"All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you." - Dr. W. Dyer

It's the one that is the A*Men signature note. I guess people call it a 'tar' like note. On paper it didn't jump out at me as prominently with the Pure Malt as it does the original and that really appealed to me cause I liked the malty, smokey vibe happening with PM. Once I got it on my skin that note really stepped forward and became almost unbearable.

If I smell it occasionally like I was when occasionally sniffing it on paper throughout the day it's not so bad but when it's on my skin and omnipresent it just gets me queasy and head achy. I tried a lighter application the second time around and it was better, less tar, more malt. I'm gonna try it again in a week or so and see if I can dial in an application that will allow me to enjoy it.

If Mugler with Pure Malt had toned down that 'tar' note and just hinted at it in the background like they did with the Pure Coffee I'd be loving PM. Although as it sits rights now I'm gonna have to balance the application just right or find myself not enjoying it at times depending on whether I get it right or not. That's a tricky game to be playing where one extra spray or too close to the nose or too warm of a day or anything that ratchets the intensity up too much for me it will ruin my day.

I am hooked on Pure Malt. I just picked up another bottle. Pure Malt may be the most addicting scent I have ever smelled. My bottles of Pure Malt will never be for sale, not even if someone offered $200 for a bottle. In my opinion, it smells better than anything made by creed or tom ford.

Should I go back and pick up a third bottle? The only reason I didn't buy a third bottle is because I expect 200ml to last many years. PM is not an everyday scent, it is for special nights. I can not imagine going through a bottle very quickly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsta View Post
    It's the one that is the A*Men signature note. I guess people call it a 'tar' like note. On paper it didn't jump out at me as prominently with the Pure Malt as it does the original and that really appealed to me cause I liked the malty, smokey vibe happening with PM. Once I got it on my skin that note really stepped forward and became almost unbearable.

If I smell it occasionally like I was when occasionally sniffing it on paper throughout the day it's not so bad but when it's on my skin and omnipresent it just gets me queasy and head achy. I tried a lighter application the second time around and it was better, less tar, more malt. I'm gonna try it again in a week or so and see if I can dial in an application that will allow me to enjoy it.

If Mugler with Pure Malt had toned down that 'tar' note and just hinted at it in the background like they did with the Pure Coffee I'd be loving PM. Although as it sits rights now I'm gonna have to balance the application just right or find myself not enjoying it at times depending on whether I get it right or not. That's a tricky game to be playing where one extra spray or too close to the nose or too warm of a day or anything that ratchets the intensity up too much for me it will ruin my day.
    Its patchouli mixed with coffee. Every Mugler fragrance has given me a headache at first, and its because of the patchouli. I know because thats the only note i'd smell and i'd be sick all day (headache, dizzy). Borneo 1834 is practically straight patchouli and it did the same to me.

There is NO TAR NOTE in A*Men. I don't know who started that misconception but its unfortunately caught on... Its just the dirty note of patchouli modified by the coffee. It comes off as dark and bitter at first, but with more testing/wearings it becomes sweeter, more coffee like. Thats what I recommend to all A*Men haters: keep trying it

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Neurosis View Post
    There is NO TAR NOTE in A*Men. I don't know who started that misconception but its unfortunately caught on... Its just the dirty note of patchouli modified by the coffee.
    Well, the Thierry Mugler site actually says that tar is a note.

http://www.thierrymugler.com/us/en/#...13-the_history

Though I don't get the tar note in Pure Malt as much as I do in the original. But that damned patchouli. I wish they left it out.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CanwllCorfe View Post
    Well, the Thierry Mugler site actually says that tar is a note.

http://www.thierrymugler.com/us/en/#...13-the_history

Though I don't get the tar note in Pure Malt as much as I do in the original. But that damned patchouli. I wish they left it out.
    Well if you combine both of our posts you get the full picture haha. "an association of tar"...and i'm assuming that arises from the patchouli coffee combo.

So I guess i've been wrong all along, there is a tar note... i just dont smell it or just get a coffee vibe instead

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well it's definitely not loud, but it's there. It's not like the petroleum note in Fahrenheit or anything. I started getting whiffs of it around 3-4 hours after I applied it. I've only worn it maybe 2-3 times. The patchouli really makes it a no go for me.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

I'd probably have liked it better if the tar note is stronger; would make it more like whiskey.

I have a 09 and 10 bottle and i get a more smokey tobacco whiff on the 09 version, the 10 smells better and smoother imo

Post Thanks / Like

Do you know if this one is available at airport shops within Europe(let's say,Heathrow airport-London)?
    Thank's!
    It's never too late to mend.

WARDROBE:http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1256

Post Thanks / Like

I removed my bottle from it's condom. So much better. Flimsy bloody sprayer though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don't have many issues with my sprayer as long as I push down hard enough.
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Yea, it doesn't smell like 'tar' to me, but that's what it seems like most were calling it so for ease of identification I used the term people were using. To me it smells like latex in the original and a tire fire in Pure Malt. I'm not a fan of patchouli either and for me to enjoy a frag using it I find it needs to be well disguised for me to enjoy.

Just a quick question, maybe I'm being stupid, but how do you remove it from the rubber casing?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gsp View Post
    Just a quick question, maybe I'm being stupid, but how do you remove it from the rubber casing?
    Take a letter opener and score along the bottom of the bottle and seperate the base from the casing. Then you remove the bottom using the opener and gently push the bottle out.

The bottle looks very naked without the rubber casing, so I've just cut open the top and put the bottle back in. Looks much better.

1 more note about reformulation of Pure Malt. I dont know if it was or wasnt reformulated but I saw a wholesale pricelist of one seller and he had Pure Malt listed as: "NEW 2010 A*Men Pure Malt"
    Current TOP 5 from my collection:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    4. Encre Noire
    5. Dior Homme Intense

The Ultimate Smell
    Post Thanks / Like

Where can I still get this in the UK?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=OldSchoolCharm;1977703]I am hooked on Pure Malt. I just picked up another bottle. Pure Malt may be the most addicting scent I have ever smelled. My bottles of Pure Malt will never be for sale, not even if someone offered $200 for a bottle.

+1 bro i fell ya, I have 2 back up bottles to last me a very long time

Default Re: Pure Malt age group?

Ik this thread is old but im a sophomore in hs and like A men from the sample vials ive tried. Is pure malt more mature smelling due to the whisky note or less?

Default Hunt for Pure Malt

Hey everyone,
    Just wondering if anyone can suggest anywhere I can find a bottle of Pure Malt. I've been searching day and night for ages now through every possible site and store lol. I'm dying to get a hold of this dream scent I've been searching Ebay but ppl are charging crazy amounts of money for it...

Cheers!!!
    Pumbaa

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Hunt for Pure Malt

Unfortunately you are going to be subjected to paying a good chunk of coin. At this point it is really only in the hands of private holders who can charge whatever they deem fit for it. Your best bet, and the route I went, is to scour the swaps / sales threads on this website and keep your fingers crossed that one pops up.

Looks like Ebay will be your only bet.

Quote Originally Posted by Pumbaa26 View Post
    Hey everyone,
    Just wondering if anyone can suggest anywhere I can find a bottle of Pure Malt. I've been searching day and night for ages now through every possible site and store lol. I'm dying to get a hold of this dream scent I've been searching Ebay but ppl are charging crazy amounts of money for it...

Cheers!!!
    Pumbaa
    Or you could save your money or spend them on some of the many other dreamy fragrances thats out there.

...and then hope Pure Malt will be re-released in 1-2 (which it prolly will)!

Thanks for the replies guys! haha 1-2 years?! no way I can hold off that long. I have a few dreamy frags, but I can't resist the temptation of pure malt any longer

Post Thanks / Like

I just sold my reserve bottle of Pure Malt about 2 weeks ago. It was sold for $65, wasn't looking to rip anyone off. At that time you could still find it at Fragrancenet. Now you are going to be stuck with the re-sellers on ebay looking to double up on what they paid for it!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies guys! haha 1-2 years?! no way I can hold off that long. I have a few dreamy frags, but I can't resist the temptation of pure malt any longer
    It's not a summer fragrance so unless you just want to spend the money and watch it set till fall or winter I'd wait. Not to mention it's very close to A*men so paying that much extra for a hint of booze is crazy.

haha nah its freezing here in Australia. Wish more ppl like u existed MJM

Basenotes Junkie N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I totally wasn't into fragrances back when Pure Malt was in stores (re-released), it frustrates me that i missed out on the time window to get several bottles of Pure Malt.

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    I totally wasn't into fragrances back when Pure Malt was in stores (re-released), it frustrates me that i missed out on the time window to get several bottles of Pure Malt.
    so you've tried it though?
    Time to musk up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hunting are we?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hunting are we?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't really see the problem with paying extra if you can find it on ebay. Considering people pay 150 and up all the time for niche fragrances it doesn't seem like a big deal to pay that much if it's a bottle that you really want.

Then again maybe you don't buy expensive niche frags either, and in that case I think your best bet would be to wait for a used bottle to pop up on ebay....they show up from time to time and usually go for around 80--100.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gekisen View Post
    I was able to sample it from a tester bottle at my local Nordstrom earlier this year, though they refuse to sell or give me a sample vial of it.

I only sampled this fragrance twice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gekisen View Post
    I was able to sample it from a tester bottle at my local Nordstrom earlier this year, though they refuse to sell or give me a sample vial of it.

I only sampled this fragrance twice.

haha legend! I'd prefer a new bottle hey, and that one is 2 years old i think lol. Do u guys who own it love it? We get shit all frags down here in Aus

I have my bottle listed on ebay right now.. With just over 1 day of bidding left its at $48 plus $8 shipping. I'm sure it will go up some as there are about 30 watchers but maybe it will stay in the range you are looking to spend. I bought it at my local Dillards about a month ago and have only sprayed it a couple times so it is pretty much a full bottle. I love the scent; just not reasonable for me to wear it much as I live in Florida. My seller name is Raegan1999

Post Thanks / Like

haha legend! I'd prefer a new bottle hey, and that one is 2 years old i think lol. Do u guys who own it love it? We get shit all frags down here in Aus
    I do like it a considerable amount.

Post Thanks / Like

^^ I was about to jump on that, Russell, but he's looking for Pure Malt. :-(
    "Christian Dior / You wasted your life
    On aroma and clothes / Fabric and dyes." Christian Dior - Morrissey

I'm an idiot.. Just saw you are looking for Pure Malt and not Pure Havane as I have listed. Sorry!

australia is as good a place to shop for fragrances as anywhere else. Pure malt was everywhere when it came out (i tried it in the deep south of new zealand of all places) but now it has gone. just get the normal a men, they are quite similar. (Do you think because of that old sticky from 4 years ago, ppl think pure malt is something special? maybe it should be taken down because its out of date)

Quote Originally Posted by pawful View Post
    australia is as good a place to shop for fragrances as anywhere else.
    I mean of course for mainstream fragrance brands 9such as thierry mugler), the same stuff is in every duty free and beauty counter in the world.

Haha all good Russel. The only problem with amen that's stopping me from buying it is it's lack of versatility compared to pure malt. Think there's a chance duty free may still stock it?

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone has a bottle of pure malt new/used that is willing to swap/sell?

Post Thanks / Like

You can get an 8ml decant from The Perfumed Court for $35.50.

Quote Originally Posted by pawful View Post
    australia is as good a place to shop for fragrances as anywhere else. Pure malt was everywhere when it came out (i tried it in the deep south of new zealand of all places) but now it has gone. just get the normal a men, they are quite similar. (Do you think because of that old sticky from 4 years ago, ppl think pure malt is something special? maybe it should be taken down because its out of date)
    i really don't think they are very similar. pure malt you want to smell up close, Amen smells dirty as hell up close
    Time to musk up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ROtto View Post
    You can get an 8ml decant from The Perfumed Court for $35.50.
    Which is a complete ripoff. For a bit more than double that you can find a 100ml bottle floating on the internet. I saw someone here put a PM bottle up for sale for about $70 not so long ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fitch256 View Post
    Which is a complete ripoff. For a bit more than double that you can find a 100ml bottle floating on the internet. I saw someone here put a PM bottle up for sale for about $70 not so long ago.
    Agree I wouldn't spend that much for a small decant. I dont suppose you remember the username of that guy.

Post Thanks / Like

I have an almost full bottle I never wear that I might swap, hit me up

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brenster View Post
    I have an almost full bottle I never wear that I might swap, hit me up
    Sent you a PM

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Agree I wouldn't spend that much for a small decant. I dont suppose you remember the username of that guy.
    do a search in the sale forum for pure malt

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default A*Men Pure Malt coming back (Again)

Mugler Circle tweeted this yesterday

"And by the way, if you like Amen Pure Havane, you will surely love Amen Pure Malt, soon available again on Mugler.com"

I wish they would bring back A*Men Pure Coffee

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: A*Men Pure Malt coming back (Again)

^ This is just like what happened when they brought back Pure Coffee for a few weeks on mugler.com. At that time, I got the impression that Pure Coffee might show up intermittently - so it's probably worth keeping an eye on the website for it - or Pure Havane - to pop up again in the future.

Post Thanks / Like

It's good news that TM is listening to their customers' demands. The only way I can see Pure Coffee coming back is if consumers continuously demand it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Pure Coffee better not come back so I can sell my decants and bottle for a ton...then it can come back!

And they need to just make PM a constant part of the lineup. It's unbelievably hyped and has a massive fan base

Good news for those people in the fragrance community who never had the opportunity to acquire it.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the heads up. Its a great frag. I just confirmed what you said. But who is Muglercirlce?? Are they officially affiliated with ThierryMugler.com or are they just fans of the house?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. Its a great frag. I just confirmed what you said. But who is Muglercirlce?? Are they officially affiliated with ThierryMugler.com or are they just fans of the house?
    If you buy a Mugler fragrance retail, there's a code inside the boxes to join the "Circle". It's essentially the "Mugler Fan Club" and you have access to random things and get heads up on stuff like this