Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1

    Default How Does Grey Vetiver Compare to Original Vetiver?

    Never sampled Creed OV

  2. #2

    Default Re: How Does Grey Vetiver Compare to Original Vetiver?

    They're actually quite different. GV is lighter, brighter, and cleaner. OV is deep, and spicy, yet soapy at the same time.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

    Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

    Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

  3. #3

    Default Re: How Does Grey Vetiver Compare to Original Vetiver?

    Sorry for the smart answer, but OV has no detectable vetiver, GV does.

  4. #4

    Default Re: How Does Grey Vetiver Compare to Original Vetiver?

    Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    Sorry for the smart answer, but OV has no detectable vetiver, GV does.
    Yes, agreed. OV smells like a modern, fun, in your face, synthetic cologne. Similar to Mugler's Cologne, full of musk aroma chemicals.
    Grey Vetiver, on the other hand, is a rather retro-style, 70s vetiver with a subtle blend of wood and floral notes. It gets my vote for the best, men's designer fragrance of 2009.

  5. #5

    Default Re: How Does Grey Vetiver Compare to Original Vetiver?

    A wonderful summary, Ruggles, and totally agree!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Yes, agreed. OV smells like a modern, fun, in your face, synthetic cologne. Similar to Mugler's Cologne, full of musk aroma chemicals.
    Grey Vetiver, on the other hand, is a rather retro-style, 70s vetiver with a subtle blend of wood and floral notes. It gets my vote for the best, men's designer fragrance of 2009.

  6. #6

    Default Re: How Does Grey Vetiver Compare to Original Vetiver?

    I get vetiver in OV.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

    Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

    Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

  7. #7

    Default Re: How Does Grey Vetiver Compare to Original Vetiver?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Yes, agreed. OV smells like a modern, fun, in your face, synthetic cologne. Similar to Mugler's Cologne, full of musk aroma chemicals.
    Grey Vetiver, on the other hand, is a rather retro-style, 70s vetiver with a subtle blend of wood and floral notes. It gets my vote for the best, men's designer fragrance of 2009.
    In full disclosure, I am not a great of fan of vetiver fragrances.

    However, Grey Vetiver gets my vote for the best men's designer fragrance of 2009 as well. Grey Vetiver opens on my skin as a fairly sharp but fleeting citrus opening with a light vetiver drydown. I have not as yet gotten any floral notes referred to by others. It is very suitable for the modern gentleman who does not care for overly green vetiver fragrances, or for that matter, vetiver fragrances that can come off as a tad dated. In my opinion, this is really where Tom Ford shines on this fragrance. I do indeed feel that he may very well have created a modern gentleman's classic, far more wearable and enjoyable, and squarely in the realm of Guerlain Vetiver, Dior Eau Sauvage and Chanel Pour Monsieur.

    Creed OV wears VERY green on my skin and I dislike such fragrances in general. This may very well be due to the thriving summer home care and lawn mowing business that I ran between the ages of 10 and 15 in Houston, Texas. Hot sun and green lawn clippings! I simply do not want to smell as if I just mowed someone's lawn, or for that matter, later in my college years, as if I just fell intoxicated into someone's shrubbery.

    As previously stated, I am not really a huge fan of vetiver fragrances in general, so I may not be the best source of advice on this subject.

    However, Bravo Tom Ford! Grey Vetiver should sell as well as Tobacco Vanille, another modern gentleman's classic.

    TJ
    Last edited by TigerJuice; 29th November 2009 at 11:13 PM.

  8. #8
    Moderator

    Redneck Perfumisto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Spiritually, Kansas
    Posts
    13,296
    Blog Entries
    37

    Default Re: How Does Grey Vetiver Compare to Original Vetiver?

    Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    Sorry for the smart answer, but OV has no detectable vetiver, GV does.
    (& agreed - OV threw me off big time in my original quest to understand vetiver.)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Yes, agreed. OV smells like a modern, fun, in your face, synthetic cologne. Similar to Mugler's Cologne, full of musk aroma chemicals.
    Grey Vetiver, on the other hand, is a rather retro-style, 70s vetiver with a subtle blend of wood and floral notes. It gets my vote for the best, men's designer fragrance of 2009.
    I'm having a hard time thinking of something better. It's awesome stuff. It had me at the magazine flap.

    Quote Originally Posted by TigerJuice View Post
    In full disclosure, I am not a great of fan of vetiver fragrances.

    However, Grey Vetiver gets my vote for the best men's designer fragrance of 2009 as well. Grey Vetiver opens on my skin as a fairly sharp but fleeting citrus opening with a light vetiver drydown. I have not as yet gotten any floral notes referred to by others. It is very suitable for the modern gentleman who does not care for overly green vetiver fragrances, or for that matter, vetiver fragrances that can come off as a tad dated. In my opinion, this is really where Tom Ford shines on this fragrance. I do indeed feel that he may very well have created a modern gentleman's classic, far more wearable and enjoyable, and squarely in the realm of Guerlain Vetiver, Dior Eau Sauvage and Chanel Pour Monsieur.
    Absolutely. The universe came into being to create the grey or charcoal suit to go with this fragrance.

    Quote Originally Posted by TigerJuice View Post
    ... or for that matter, later in my college years, as if I just fell intoxicated into someone's shrubbery.
    ...
    TJ
    Heh-heh-heh. College. Oh yeah!
    * * * *

  9. #9

    Default Re: How Does Grey Vetiver Compare to Original Vetiver?

    Quote Originally Posted by TigerJuice View Post
    Grey Vetiver gets my vote for the best men's designer fragrance of 2009 as well.
    I think you may be right. It's definitely my favorite designer release of 2009.

  10. #10

    Default Re: How Does Grey Vetiver Compare to Original Vetiver?

    Both are good for casual and/or office wear but I wouldn't classify either as a vetiver heavy weight.

    OV is a green vetiver fragrance - the vetiver is stripped off its hard edges and is presented alongside an accord of spices and wood resulting in a crisp green leafy accord with a white musk base.

    Grey Vetiver has a pleasant fruity citrus opening (lots of orange flower), then a vetiver heart somewhere between Guerlains citrusy vetiver and Malle's woody-earthy rendition, with very dry Iso-E-super like woody drydown.

    The quality of materials seems about the same, in the decent-to-good range, and are enjoyable to wear with no extreme bushwhacker 'captain caveman' vetiver note to scare away surrounding folks.
    -

  11. #11
    Moderator

    Redneck Perfumisto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Spiritually, Kansas
    Posts
    13,296
    Blog Entries
    37

    Default Re: How Does Grey Vetiver Compare to Original Vetiver?

    Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    OV is a green vetiver fragrance - the vetiver is stripped off its hard edges and is presented alongside an accord of spices and wood resulting in a crisp green leafy accord with a white musk base.
    Cool. I'm always up for "find the hidden note", and you may have given me enough of a crib to find it. I like my vetiver smooth and mild. Sel de Vtiver being a prime example. Maybe I need to go back and try OV again.

    Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    The quality of materials seems about the same, in the decent-to-good range, and are enjoyable to wear with no extreme bushwhacker 'captain caveman' vetiver note to scare away surrounding folks.
    Heh-heh-heh. That reminds me of the "tail end" of Vetiver Extraordinaire. I was comparing Grey Vetiver and that one on each hand, and by the time VE hit drydown (which came a bit quickly, I might add), it was acting up pretty badly. Captain Caveman is no gent, and especially not next to Grey Vetiver.
    * * * *

  12. #12

    Default Re: How Does Grey Vetiver Compare to Original Vetiver?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Cool. I'm always up for "find the hidden note", and you may have given me enough of a crib to find it. I like my vetiver smooth and mild. Sel de Vtiver being a prime example. Maybe I need to go back and try OV again.
    The main aromachemical powering OV is cis-3-hexanol, the molecule responsible for that 'fresh mown hay/green' smell. I suspect it is overdosed in OV, and then enveloped in pepper, coriander and woody notes to impart that crisp peppery leafy green main accord. Once you experience this you realize it is pretty far from just a 'Mugler + more $$$' knockoff.

    A scientist on cis-3-hexanol:
    http://www.ted.com/talks/luca_turin_..._of_scent.html

    A 'layman' on cis-3-hexanol:
    http://devonlife.blog.co.uk/2007/03/...ll_of~1991741/
    Last edited by zztopp; 30th November 2009 at 04:51 AM.
    -

  13. #13

    Default Re: How Does Grey Vetiver Compare to Original Vetiver?

    I like a good vetiver and I sampled Grey Vetiver a few days ago and Im surprised with the praise Grey Vetiver gets.
    I mean, its not bad by all means,but a very `I have smelled that before` fragrance.
    Ill even go as far to say it was Dolce and Gabanna Light Blue Pour Homme, with some Encre Noire added.Good, but not great. Considering the fact the Light Blue pour homme got a lot of bad reviews, Im surprised. Maybe Im wrong ,I have a sample of GV and I will test it more this week.
    Last edited by eric; 30th November 2009 at 05:24 AM.

  14. #14
    Moderator

    Redneck Perfumisto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Spiritually, Kansas
    Posts
    13,296
    Blog Entries
    37

    Default Re: How Does Grey Vetiver Compare to Original Vetiver?

    Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    I like a good vetiver and I sampled Grey Vetiver a few days ago and Im surprised with the praise Grey Vetiver gets.
    I mean, its not bad by all means,but a very `I have smelled that before` fragrance.
    Ill even go as far to say it was Dolce and Gabanna Light Blue Pour Homme, with some Encre Noire added.Good, but not great. Considering the fact the Light Blue pour homme got a lot of bad reviews, Im surprised. Maybe Im wrong ,I have a sample of GV and I will test it more this week.
    I can see where you're coming from on this. I was blown away at first by the magazine ad, then I got some samples, and my feeling was: nice, but do I REALLY want to spend money on this? I found, however, that I kept going back to the samples. Eventually, I bought the bottle, but in part because there was a fragrance event, and a sale, and... you know how that story goes. But after I got it, and used it a bit more - man, it just grew on me big time. And it's not like it's unique - I agree that it smells almost exactly as you describe - a nice cool citrus and Encre Noire layered together. But I think it's the combination of the sensible mix of citrus and vetiver, the great longevity, and the somewhat linear but dependable nature of the accord - you might say typical Tom Ford smooth linearity - the combination of all these things just comes together to make me love wearing it. I've found that several of my true fragrance loves were that way - it's as if we did some serious dating at the risk of breaking up before things just clicked.
    * * * *

  15. #15

    Default Re: How Does Grey Vetiver Compare to Original Vetiver?

    Just got home from work and sprayed some on. I have to admit its a good and easy on the nose,smooth and dry citrus,vetiver combo. Easy to wear.

  16. #16
    Moderator

    Redneck Perfumisto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Spiritually, Kansas
    Posts
    13,296
    Blog Entries
    37

    Default Re: How Does Grey Vetiver Compare to Original Vetiver?

    Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    Just got home from work and sprayed some on. I have to admit its a good and easy on the nose,smooth and dry citrus,vetiver combo. Easy to wear.
    Man, your post made me run upstairs and get my bottle. I'm breathing it in now.... so great. Tom Ford! Stop doing this to me! No, don't stop!
    * * * *

  17. #17

    Default Re: How Does Grey Vetiver Compare to Original Vetiver?

    LOL, Red

    I do agree, though--Grey Vetiver hits the sweet spot of being wearable, high quality, and not overly expensive. I don't understand the 3-star rating in LT's latest PDF of reviews--reminds me of how Rive Gauche had 3 stars but then said "brilliant fougere" in the text. Like you, I would definitely nominate this for the best male designer release of 2009, even though I found Guerlain Homme to be funky and fun to wear.

  18. #18
    Moderator

    Redneck Perfumisto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Spiritually, Kansas
    Posts
    13,296
    Blog Entries
    37

    Default Re: How Does Grey Vetiver Compare to Original Vetiver?

    Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    Like you, I would definitely nominate this for the best male designer release of 2009, even though I found Guerlain Homme to be funky and fun to wear.
    OMG - we're definitely on the same wavelength with that one. Have you tried the Guerlain Homme EDP Intense yet? If you love the EDT, then the EDP should be right up your alley. I found it much more complex and more "Guerlain".

    Sorry for going OT, but I simply cannot nominate Grey Vetiver without due props to Homme. It's not just a runner-up. Homme is like designer release of my lifetime!
    * * * *

  19. #19

    Default Re: How Does Grey Vetiver Compare to Original Vetiver?

    Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    I get vetiver in OV.
    I get no vetiver ROOT OIL in OV. And that's fine by me, Root oil is a very dirty brown earthy note, like in Etro's Vetiver.
    I don't mind when the root oil is blended with other fresher green notes, Like in Encre Noir, or like In any of the Guerlain Vetivers. But when it's just root oil with no fresher green notes it's not for me.

    There very well could be genuine infusion of Vetiver leaf/blade (aerial parts) in OV, but it is overwhelmed by the wonderful synthetic green note that is also present nakedly & in lower concentration in Mugler. Most of the scents referred to on BN as "Fresh vetivers" have little-to-no vetiver "root oil" in them. They likely contain natural Vetiver leaf/blade infusion/absolute (aerial parts), or synthetic green notes, or a combination of both..........This includes Creed's 1948 Vetiver, Adolfo Dominguez Vetiver, Creed's Original Vetiver, Mugler Cologne, Paul Smith Story, Frank Los Angeles, etc.

Similar Threads

  1. Fans of original Guerlain Vetiver must-read
    By sumandre in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 19th July 2012, 11:44 PM
  2. SotY: #1 Guerlain Vetiver
    By Somerville Metro Man in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 15th April 2009, 02:12 PM
  3. Vetiver frags - question
    By egrorian in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 19th December 2008, 01:58 AM
  4. Creed Original Vetiver vs. Mugler Cologne
    By RubenC in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 28th October 2008, 11:40 PM
  5. Mugler Cologne / Original Vetiver
    By rjrober22 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 17th July 2005, 09:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000