Code of Conduct

Default Perfume for aunt for Christmas

Hello ladies!

I'm hoping to get some input and suggestions for a nice perfume for my aunt for Christmas. She has been expressing a lot of interest in my fragrance hobby lately, and she is about the most appreciative of fragrance in our family (second to me, of course!).

Last year I got her Hermes Un Jardin Meditteranee, and she loves it

This is her response when I told her to tell me about the perfumes she likes:

"Tabu, opium, patchouli sparingly, and during the summer I like tropical fragrances and orange blossom perfume. I've been using the cinnamon oil I told you about, and also one that smells like Sephora's Pink Sugar, but not so cotton candy like. I have an apricot, a chocolate sort of based one, lotus extract, cherry, and one called moonflower. Also kind of like White Shoulders, Obsession, Chanel #5, and coconut. It depends on the mood I'm in."

She is an avid gardener and loves gourmet stuff. She's 49. She'll probably be happy with just about anything I get her, but I figured I'd let you girls have your say before I make any decisions, as you know perfumes better than I do... She's eccentric and a bit funky, but definitely appreciates the classics and pretty things.

Designer "priced" range. Something really cool would be some sort of high-end scent library like penhaligons. Hmmm.

What do you say?
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Default Re: Perfume for aunt for Christmas

She sounds fabulous! I love her taste! How sweet of you to give her perfume

Flowerbomb by Victor & Rolf
    Estee Lauder Private Collection Amber Ylang Ylang
    Rochas Tocade, Badgley Mishka
    Yves Rocher Cocoon

--> rich and lush, floral but with sweet woody bases. Warm & sultry stuffs.
    beauty guru & perfume whisperer
    dalybeauty.ca
    twitter @daly_beauty

If she likes spicy orientals, she may go for Chanel Coco. A spicy floral-oriental alternative that I tried recently was Tocca Brigitte--also very good, although it doesn't meet the same standard as Coco.

Since she likes No.5, she may also like Eau Premiere, or maybe some No.5 bath and body products.
    Last edited by Asha; 30th November 2009 at 03:38 AM.

It sounds as if she welcome anything you gave her an open heart and nose, how lovely!

What about the Ormonde Jayne sample programme? Lovely scents in generous sample sprays and she probably won't have seen them before. It's 35 including worldwide postage.

I like the EP suggestion too.

I have an observation: people I know who love spicy oriantals either go for Opium or Coco but rarely both. I find it strange.

Popping up at TGMax for cheap:
    DK Gold
    Rochas Trocade
    Online for cheap:
    Ambre Gris by Balmain - cinammon note, but also a lovely fragrance

Or maybe CdG White, certainly spicy.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

I envy your having a family member who can relate in such a wonderful way.

How about a few of minis? They look more glam than a collection of vials for Christmas, but have the same effect of offering variety and discovery. Some of the aforementioned scents are available as minis. My nominees are:

Chopard Casmir ($9): Terrific coconut-like scent, includes sandalwood, patchouli, citrus and peach notes.

Hermes 24, Faubourg ($11): Classy for sure—orange blossom, tiara flower, ylang ylang, iris, patchouli, sandalwood and vanilla.

Molinard de Molinard ($6): A soft, green, elegant scent often overlooked, but well reviewed. As a greeny-gardener, can't think of a better recommendation for the price point.

Some of Guerlain's Aqua Allegorias are available as minis (can't beat the cute factor bottle-wise, but check reviews for which ones have proved more successful than others), Bal a Versailles, Boucheron pour Femme (another orange blossom frag along the lines of 24, Faubourg).
    Last edited by Quarry; 30th November 2009 at 03:52 PM.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Natori is a "warm" comfort oriental & has a great set out right now. 100ml edp & the body cream for $115. I really love to wear this scent to sleep, so luxurious. It doesn't "hit you over the head' but there's something very attractive about it...subtle & addictive. Particularly the body cream!
    I have the Coco, the Eau Premier, so many other classics but I'm reaching for this one.
    We cannot live only for ourselves. A thousand fibers connect us with our fellow men. ~Herman Melville

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Perfume for aunt for Christmas

I don't think you can go wrong with Chamade edp or Chanel 19 or my favorite, Mitsouko edp. These are gold standard fragrances IMO. I would remiss if I didn't favor Mitsouko but, L'heure Bleu might be considered also. Anyway that's my two cents.

I second Asha's rec. of Coco & add to that Shalimar.

During the holiday season, Estee Lauder puts together fantastic coffrets of fragrance mini's. (So does Bulgari.) I would seriously review Lauder's Knowing, Youth Dew, Sensuous, Private Collection, Super Estee, Pleasures and White Linen.

Sur la Plage

For tropical, maybe Estee Lauder Bronze Goddess.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Hebe View Post
    It sounds as if she welcome anything you gave her an open heart and nose, how lovely!

What about the Ormonde Jayne sample programme? Lovely scents in generous sample sprays and she probably won't have seen them before. It's 35 including worldwide postage.

I like the EP suggestion too.
    Second the idea of the OJ Sample Set, it's a generous collection and beautifully presented too! And if she likes "tropical" she may fall for Frangipani Absolu and the new Tiare..."
    THE BEST OF 2009 to date Maison Francis Kurkdjian Lumiere Noire Pour Homme, Cologne Pour Le Soir, Annick Goutal Mandragore Pourpre

REDISCOVERING CLASSICS - AGAIN!:- , Guerlain Derby, L'Artisan Premier Figuier

Thank you so much everyone!
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

A little late, but how about Annick Goutal Neroli? Since she's a gardener so she might appreciate the natural notes and it's a highly rated orange blossom, a note I often wear in January because it cheers me up. Pretty bottle, too. Heure Exquise might appeal to her Chanel No 5 loving side.

Another line she might like is i Profumi di Firenze or Parfums de Rosine. I thought I would like Penhaligons and someone sent me some samples, but I ended up passing them on.
    Last edited by beachroses; 4th December 2009 at 03:38 PM.

Blog Entries

How about Serge Lutens-A la Nuit? Just about perfect, IMO. Sexy, not cloying and not super $$$.
    http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/secti...A_La_Nuit.html
    Miller Harris-Fleurs De Bois is also 'Da Bomb' A great workhorse scent. Perfect anytime. It's a little more $$ though.
    http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/secti..._de__Bois.html
    Last edited by kumquat; 4th December 2009 at 04:55 PM.

No - by all means, it's not too late!

Keep 'em comin'!

Quote Originally Posted by Scentronic View Post
    No - by all means, it's not too late!

Keep 'em comin'!
    if you insist

Her descriptions of preferences immediately brought to mind Mauboussin- dry cocoa and soft spice notes, yet very classy. I love it and I am also an eccentric, funky, middle aged lady.

Hey, how about Delices de Cartier? That has a beautiful bottle, too. Notes: Iced Cherry, Bergamot, Pink Pepper, Gold Jasmine.
    Last edited by beachroses; 4th December 2009 at 11:25 PM.

I'm close to your aunt's age and I love gourmand fragrances and "pretty" floral fragrances. If I were she, I'd be tickled pink to receive any of these...

I second the Bronze Goddess suggestion.
    by Kilian's Love is a wonderful confectionery scent (my favorite), but it' really expensive.
    Missoni
    Hanae Mori Butterfly
    Thierry Mugler Innocent (Angel Innocent)
    Shalimar Light or Eau de Shalimar (lemony vanillic)
    One of the fragrances by Comptoir Sud Pacifique