Code of Conduct

Default SotD Monday 30 November

Good morning!

Guerlain Eau de Cologne du Coq works wonders after a program-packed, late nights weekend. The Sonics were great last night!

Have a marvy Monday!
    Last edited by tigrushka; 30th November 2009 at 06:59 AM. Reason: fatal error aka sotd bug
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Default Re: SotD Monday 30 November

Guerlain – Vol de Nuit parfum

Basenotes Plus

Just realised that this is my 1,000th post, woop! For the first time in about 6 months I'm wearing Millisime Imperial.
    Last edited by Candy Perfume Boy; 30th November 2009 at 07:15 AM.
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

Woo hoo Libertine!

Timbuktu for me today. Wishing everyone a good Monday and hoping you all have better weather than we do here!

Congrats on the 1,000 posties!

Creed Angélique Encens today.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Basenotes Institution

Congrats Libertine !
    Gucci By Gucci for me again... I am doing this perfume to death !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

YEY to Libertine! Sotd is Jicky.

Sur la Plage

My SOTD is Creed Bois du Portugal.

Notes include sandalwood, lavender, vetiver and cedar.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Basenotes Plus

Congrats on the posts, Libertine! Keep 'em coming.

Caron Aimez-Moi

Wishing you all a great start to your week!
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Thumbs up Re: SotD Monday 30 November

Hello all, special to Libertine for his 1000 posts

Patchouli

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday weekend in the US and a regular wonderful weekend elsewhere.
    I believe that I missed Kumquat's birthday so a belated Happy birthday to her and any others I missed.
    Pomander glad to hear that there is such a thing as a time-release dart.
    I had a great few days off and actually got my last birthday present over the weekend as very good friends commissioned a pen and ink sketch of Buckaroo Banzai for me and presented it to me at dinner with them. I spent most of yesterday just admiring it and reflecting on how blessed I am to have the community of friends around me that I do.

Back to work and wanted to wear a new favorite.

By Kilian Cruel Intentions

I've only recently begun exploring Kilian Hennessy's By Kilian line of fragrance and when I was first sniffing the whole collection earlier this year there was one that hit me just right. That scent was the 2007 release Cruel Intentions by Sidonie Lancesseur.

I think the thing that grabbed me is it is perhaps the most restrained use of oud in a fragrance I've found. Most oud based fragrances come out and at some point in the development use the oud like the bright blare of brass in an orchestra. I found Mme. Lancesseur's much more restrained use of oud to be much more interesting like placing a bell mute in the aforementioned brass section. This has the effect of making me feel like I'm always hearing the oud from a distance and while I expect it to pick up in intensity it never does and that makes this fragrance unique.

The top of Cruel Intentions starts with a pedestrian mix of bergamot and orange blossom it is light and fresh and a tad boring. Just after this the oud begins to appear and as I mentioned already it rises in intensity and then holds at that level for the rest of the development. This allows the notes that appear later to interact with the oud and not be overwhelmed by it. The next group of notes that appear are a floral bouquet led by violet. Violet is a good compatriot for oud as it has a sharpness to it that goes well with the medicinal quality oud brings to fragrance. The fragrance then settles into a base of gaiac and sandalwood along with a dollop of vetiver. As with the violet, the vetiver has its sharper edges on display to go along with the oud. Very late in the development on my skin I get a healthy bit of animalic castoreum and it seems a like a late-comer to the party but not an unwelcome guest, to be sure.

Cruel Intentions has above average longevity on me but it is a very close wearing skin scent with almost no sillage to speak of. Another oddity for an oud scent.

The thing I admire most about Cruel Intentions is the ability Mme. Lancesseur has with making one work to find the oud. It makes the journey that much more enjoyable when its done.

Have a Miraculous Monday everyone.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

My SOTD is No. 5 Eau Prémière. Have a nice day!

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Guerlain Coriolan today
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Roberto, you do post the most eye appealing photos, thanks for that warm feast to the eyes!

Hypnotic Poison as an homage to November...
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

The enticing, soft wood tinged Lorenzo Villoresi Musk today. Someone mentioned here recently that they prefer the wafts & sillage of this rather than sniffing the skin. I agree. Its gorgeous.

Ava Luxe Cafe' Noir on one hand.

Bond's New Haarlem on the other.

Cafe' Noir wins!

Hope everyone has a great start for the week.
    Last edited by Caron33; 30th November 2009 at 12:21 PM.

Roberto, your pics are always so wonderful, and that label is especially rich looking. It makes me want to drink your bottle

Thanks for the review SMM, glad you had a restful weekend, and one more birthday surprise.

I'm wearing Ambre Gris by Balmain today - go disco cap

Back to work in Krigler Lovely Patchouli.

Ormande Jayne Frangipani for a day's teaching.
    I put this on at 7.30 and it's still going strong 6 hours later.

Hello All!

Have been off the scene this last fortnight during partner's mother's hospitalisation. She has had her lymphatic system removed but has had some rather worrying post-op complications. Christmas is also a worry, I am afraid to say ...

Do hope everyone is well. I have been thinking of you all, despite my inability to check in, as I would have liked to have done. Am still smelling good, though -- in Amaranthine today.

Take care everyone and congratulations Libertine!
    Last edited by soirdelune; 30th November 2009 at 08:56 PM.
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

I am fortunate to be wearing a decanted gift from a highly esteemed basenoter,

Saffron/Amber/Agarwood/Cardamom - Korres

These four notes compliment & soften eachother like a cozy cashmere scarf snuggled around my neck in the dead of winter. An emulsion of wood and spices that is easily unisex. Thank you ~ I'm loving it!

Trying to get in the Monday work mode. SL Chene and a Starbucks mocha to help me this morning! Met my daughter's BF for the first time Friday. He is really pretty cool. About 32, is an RN, was a HS math teacher AND is in charge of 3 National Guard Armories in KS. She is sad b/c he will be going to Iraq January for about a year TOD. After that, though, he's through with the Guard, and will be back in nursing fulltime. They make a neat couple. I hope it works out in the long-run for them.

Hope everyone had a great weekend!
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

Hello everyone!

I'm in Deneuve today. This one is so stunning it almost leaves me speechless. For anyone familiar with Babe, I've always considered Deneuve to be the elegant and high-end version of that fresh and sporty drugstore scent. And to my nose, Yendi is also in the same family. They all share more than a couple of notes - bergamot, hyacinth, rose, lily of valley, orris, moss, cedar, sandalwood, and musk - so it makes sense that they'd smell similar. Deneuve apparently adds civet and I'm thinking this is what gives it its rich and smoldery base.

I'm a little surprised by it this morning, and very pleasantly so. I've never noticed how similar the floral accord is to Flora Danica, yet another tragically discontinued beauty.

I've also tried the Irma Shorell LLP version called Cannes and I'm thrilled to tell you that it's a superb dupe.

Hoping this day starts off a great week for all!
    Last edited by Evangeline; 30th November 2009 at 01:16 PM.

JADE

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Some belated celebration festivities are in order:
    Let me hold out a chair for you, Kumquat, MikePerez.
    I wish you many healthy, happy birthdays, and I’m sorry I’m late to express my fondness for your presence in this virtual world.

Soirdelune, may your worries fly by quickly. May all who visit here latch on to attitudes that help you find victory in your travails.

Last day for No-Repeats November: Chopard Casmir.
    I recently got a new sample to compare to PG Cadjmere. Casmir is still very much likable in my mind, but it’s one of those things where, once you’ve been introduced to a new standard, it doesn’t measure up as favorably as it once did. Props though: Lovely, perfumey coconut. Not too foody, not painfully sweet. Still a
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Basenotes Institution

Jicky (vintage Parfum de Toilette) by Guerlain

I have been wanting a bottle of this for a while - so I got a decant of it, to stall my cravings. Wow, it's wonderful. Like the older sister of Mouchoir de Monsieur - with a little more Guerliande and a lot more attitude (sillage). I knew I'd love it. And I do. Vintage Guerlain's are just incredible, aren't they?

Thanks Quarry [hug]
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 30th November 2009 at 03:24 PM.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Basenotes Plus

Well...I'm just a sad sack, I am.

My sister & neice went back to Jacksonville yesterday. My neice is sick, she has a punctured eardrum & a tummy bug. battlekitty is mourning the loss of her dear horse, Duke. He was such a good boy, always wanted to please you, no matter what.

Tomorrow is my 13th wedding anniversary and the first one my husband & I will spend apart. He's still working overseas. I'm grateful he's employed but we miss him terribly.

Today is perfect for wearing gifts from two very special basenoters: my daytime comfort scent, Caron's Fleurs de Rocaille parfum and later Andy Tauer's Incense Extreme. Both fragrances make me smile on this lonely, rainy day.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

(((Soirdelune))) (((RHM))) so sorry to hear of the bad news.

Libertine, welcome to the 1000-club!

I've been wearing nothing but Alien for lost-count-how-many-days in a row. It's almost worrying me now; this sudden addiction.

Quote Originally Posted by RHM View Post
    Well...I'm just a sad sack, I am.

My sister & neice went back to Jacksonville yesterday. My neice is sick, she has a punctured eardrum & a tummy bug. battlekitty is mourning the loss of her dear horse, Duke. He was such a good boy, always wanted to please you, no matter what.

Tomorrow is my 13th wedding anniversary and the first one my husband & I will spend apart. He's still working overseas. I'm grateful he's employed but we miss him terribly.

Today is perfect for wearing gifts from two very special basenoters: my daytime comfort scent, Caron's Fleurs de Rocaille parfum and later Andy Tauer's Incense Extreme. Both fragrances make me smile on this lonely, rainy day.
    *a big fragranced hug for you*

Coze for me today.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Hugs to RHM! Sorry you are having such a tough time. It is sad to be apart on your anniversary.

I've had an expensive and rather tedious week since Wednesday. We hadn't planned to do any shopping this weekend...HA! Life had other plans.

It started when my washing machine died. It's only 6 years old but was one of the Kenmore "Calypso" models (top loader without an agitator) that turned out to be lemons, so it's not worth fixing again. We had to go out and get a new one.

It wouldn't have been quite such a shock to our wallets if our computer didn't die two days later. Saturday we took it to the Apple store and learned that not only would repairing it cost half the price of a new one, but they also consider it nearly obsolete (at 4 years old)-- and after 5 years, they no longer even repair them.

So we bought a new one, and had to have the files from our old one copied onto the new one...so it's not in use yet. I'm online at the library. I sure hope no more appliances break down anytime soon!

While at the mall (at Blue Moon) I sampled Cypress Bark by Skeem-- it's quite linear but very pleasant, a nice wearable and unisex wood smell. Only $28, maybe I'll get a bottle next visit. I think my husband would like it too. They also had Skeem Tea Leaves and Sea Spray but I didn't care for the way they developed.

Wearing Parfums de Nicolaï Fig-Tea.

Big hugs to Jasper and everyone else having a rough time of it....
    Sniff and let sniff.

It's so nice to see all of you. Like a breath of fresh air, truly! Tomorrow, I take my mother to the airport to go back home after a ten day visit. I should be sad, and I am a little, but mostly I'm relieved, God forgive me. The woman is so high maintenance that I feel very stressed.

I'm wearing Lismore by Waterford today, a bargain buy from earlier in the year. It's juicy mandarin, white florals, and a soft woodsy base. Very pleasant, pretty - and short lived. I don't know what it will be later on. SMM has me dreaming of Kilians. Maybe Santa will bring me one of those this Christmas.

Love to you all, you're all quite sane to me.
    xo

Hugs to RHM, Soirdelune, and Lilybelle...and all who need them...

Congrats to Libertine on his 1000th post!

SOTD: Chanel No. 19 parfum....again...

Hope you all have a wonderful week...
    Last edited by RainDropSparkle; 30th November 2009 at 08:01 PM. Reason: hug for soir, too!

Blog Entries

Smile Re: SotD Monday 30 November

Tumulte Homme with a touch of Ambre Gris.

Oh dear, Soirdelune - what a difficult time it is for you and your partner and her mum. I hope you can hang in there.

Hugs too to Lilybelle for her multiple defective appliances and RHM for her general sad sackness.

I started out in the ethereal Osmanthe Yunnan, which got progressively overlaid by Eau de Decant as the day wore on. By evening, no two fingers smelt the same.
    Last edited by VM I hate civet; 30th November 2009 at 07:13 PM.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

Sending everyone good thoughts this evening!

ANNICK GOUTAL CE SOIR OU JAMAIS

Rose flesh, candied petals with ambrette seed and secret ingredients...

Cuir de Lancome. It arrived today and I love it.

Wearing SL Cuir Mauresque today. Great stuff in this cool, damp weather.

I'm home with the flu. Seems to be a mild form, fingers crossed. Sought a therapeutic fragrance for SotD, and I think I've found it in L'Eau de Jatamansi. Husband is preparing peppers for red beans and rice, and that smell is also health-inducing.

Sending warm fragrant hugs (but no bugs!) to Soirdelune, Jasper, and RHM. I'm sorry for your sadnesses.

Wow! You all have great taste. I'm unabashedly wearing a sample of Love in Black, because as it turns out, I can wear loud violets with a kick of spice and get away with it. And that snuggly rose drydown kisses and makes up for the sugary slap in the face at the top. Love.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Tom Ford Tuscan Leather tonight from a Ubiuandibeme decant. Gracias Amiga!
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by BlanchesBath View Post
    Wow! You all have great taste. I'm unabashedly wearing a sample of Love in Black, because as it turns out, I can wear loud violets with a kick of spice and get away with it. And that snuggly rose drydown kisses and makes up for the sugary slap in the face at the top. Love.
    Hello, BlanchesBath, and welcome to Basenotes! I love your post, and I thank you for the reminder that I need to try Love in Black one of these days!

summer means fireflys

I'm scent twins with 3xasif ... I'm also wearing LV Musk today.

It sounds like a lot of us need hugs today ... group hug anyone?
    I've trademarked the color bleu

I went for La Mome today. Great big (((hug))) to those who need or want it.
    Visit my website! http://www.smelloutlandish.com/ 10% discount with code: BASENOTES

Weird. I posted this morning, but my post never "took." Oh well. I wore Nina Ricci Coeur Joie today. Take care, all!

Diesel Fuel For Life Pour Homme
    Gary

Congrats Libertine.....Way to go!!!!!
    Gary

Hugs to RHM, battlekitty, soirdelune and lillybelle. Hope you find peace and calm soon.

Today I wore Love by Kilian

We had about 200 people retiring from my workplace today. I only knew a handful. I am a little sad because there is a very special person whom I will miss greatly.
    Evenstar

Went back to my childhood with some Halston today. Not the new one...still not sure about it.
    Mapping the memory one scent at a time

Blog Entries

Ack! Hugs to all who would have them.

Congrats to jrd4t on getting engaged at the peak of a mountaintop hike on Thanksgiving morning (in Amouage, of course) - everyone be sure to pop over to the men's thread and show him some love!

Today I sampled Chaman's Party

Last edited by rogalal; 1st December 2009 at 02:35 AM.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Mmmm, closing out the month in Lolita Lempicka.

RHM, big hugs to you. Enjoy your gorgeous Fleurs today and tomorrow, isn't it just amazing what a favorite scent does for your spirit! Happy Anniversary You have his homecoming to look forward to Hugs to your friend, too, it breaks my heart when I hear of beloved animals passing on.

Get lots of rest, Haunani, I'm glad your husband is taking good care of you. Thanks for your lil Oregon souvenir aren't necessary, tee hee tee hee

((((Soirdelune,)))) do something really nice for yourself this week.

And congrats to libertine on your fifth star! I figure once you hit that mark you're probably a lifer.

You all have a lovely evening.

Closing out the evening in DK Gold, my newish personal fav. I just love this stuff.

Hugs to all who need them--there seem to be lots of tender feelings going around for many of us.

SotD was Dior Homme which I was barely able to smell for some reason. I hope I'm not getting olfactory fatigue. SotN is Helmut Lang parfum.

A little bit of Nan Green (allergies today)
    [COLOR="Purple"]I am not afraid... I was born to do this.

-Joan of Arc [/COLOR]