Code of Conduct

Default Any Caron Narcisse Noir extrait connoisseurs around?

Hi! A fellow BN'er recently sent me a sample of vintage Caron Narcisse Noir extrait. It's been a while since I fell this hard for a perfume, but this is truly gorgeous stuff! I scoured the bay but couldn't find any vintage version of the stuff. Is there anyone out there that has tried both the vintage and the current extraits and could compare? Unfortunately, I don't know what the exact vintage of the stuff is but if I had to guess I'd say somewhere in the 70's/80's, but that is based on the feeling of quality I get compared with other extraits from that period.

Thanks!
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & RÍve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

Default Re: Any Caron Narcisse Noir extrait connoisseurs around?

I have a sample from the urn circa 2007- and it has definitely been reformulated. By "reformulated", I mean that Richard Fraysee got it and basically ruined it. It has that same soapy rosy sour base that he likes. He did the same base for most of the recent feminine Carons that I've owned/smelled.

To quote Luca: "Why can't he go ruin a purfume that wasn't interesting in the first place?"

Argh...

Teddius

Caron reformulations are NOTORIOUS....such beautiful scents, RUINED in their current versions.

Hopefully, kumquat will stop by this thread....she knows so much about the glories of the traditional Maison de Caron!
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

*~~________________________________________~~*

My bottle comes from the late 90's.

It is totally fabulous, orange blossom having a bitch fight with civet. Both are so well matched neither can win.

I call it the diva extract as you just feel like a goddess walking down the street wearing it.
    DONNA

Thanks for your replies so far! Unfortunately, what I'm hearing doesn't quite convince me that I should get a bottle, unless I'm able to find a vintage one...
    Chant d'Aromes extrait

Selling/swapping:
    ---

Blog Entries

I have never tried the current formula. It sounds like it must be sad compared to the old original juice. Happily, there is a beautiful scent twin. Unhappily, it is expensive, although, well worth it, IMO.
    It is Profumum Neroli. There is nothing more glorious on the market today. The fresh-smelling orange blossom anchored with smoky myrrh are so delicious, I have to refrain from drinking it.
    Just give it a try & you may become hooked.http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/secti...um/Neroli.html
    Last edited by kumquat; 2nd December 2009 at 05:21 PM.

I got my bottle in 2004 but it was heavily discounted so it might be older. I love it: beeeg orange blossom and baaad civet!
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darŁber muss man schreiben."

Great, thanks for the suggestion Kumquat! I'll be sure to add that to my luckyscent to-sample list! can't be more expensive than buying the vintage extrait of Narcisse Noir, right?
    Chant d'Aromes extrait

Selling/swapping:
    ---

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    I have never tried the current formula. It sounds like it must be sad compared to the old original juice. Happily, there is a beautiful scent twin. Unhappily, it is expensive, although, well worth it, IMO.
    It is Profumum Neroli. There is nothing more glorious on the market today. The fresh-smelling orange blossom anchored with smoky myrrh are so delicious, I have to refrain from drinking it.
    Just give it a try & you may become hooked.http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/secti...um/Neroli.html
    Resurrected this thread to thank Kumquat for a such a great suggestion re. Profumum Neroli - I have been interested in this Profumum for a while anyhow ( price point and my current distance, makes me hesistate somewhat ) ,thanks to Kumquat but now I hear it's scent twins with Narcisse Noir- it can't get better than that.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

This type of post makes me nervous... I just bought an 8 mL size of N'aimez que moi, En avion and Or et Noir. After reading this thread I went and bought a 1 mL of vintage narcisse Noir.

Right now I'm wearing N'aimez que moi pure parfum, and I really don't know if any of my fragrances are vintage or post-reformulated. however, If these are pre I can't bear to think what i will do when I need to refill, these scents make me weep, they are so gorgeous!
    Passionate supporter of parrot welfare www.thegabrielfoundation.org

I know what you mean bayKAT. I have Tabac Blond and En Avion decants of unknown vintage and I am afraid to order bigger bottles. I would like to go to a Caron boutique and sample the current version, but it's hard to miss the subtle details until I've brought a bottle home.

I recently decided to stock up on Chanel Pour Monsieur before it's destroyed, so I brought my old bottle with me to the shop as a reference. I was very happy with their current stock, so I bought some. Then a couple of days later I realised that the new bottle just wasn't doing anything for me. It took me a couple of days to really notice the difference, but now it's blatantly obvious
    Last edited by sean-dt; 27th February 2010 at 09:58 PM.

Sean- ouch. You're right, it takes a few days of wearing a scent in your own environment to get a feel for it. What did you do, I assume the store wouldn't take it back? I plan on getting a sample first before reordering from this line. Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by BayKAT View Post
    Sean- ouch. You're right, it takes a few days of wearing a scent in your own environment to get a feel for it. What did you do, I assume the store wouldn't take it back? I plan on getting a sample first before reordering from this line. Sigh.
    I'll probably wear it to save my old bottle, which is still nearly full. It's still very good -even though it doesn't blow me away. Besides, I have heard that there's a newer version without any oakmoss, so I suppose I should be thankful for what I have. IFRA/EU regulations are really messing things up

ok- I got my vintage decant today. (pricey little thing, isn't it?)

But mmm.... how gorgeous! Really, the current version isn't as good? Should i even try the new version?

Basenotes Institution

ok- I got my vintage decant today. (pricey little thing, isn't it?)

But mmm.... how gorgeous! Really, the current version isn't as good? Should i even try the new version?
    I have never tried the vintage version before Fraysse but I tried the new extrait at Harrods last year and it blew me away ...along with the other Carons. I am not going to sample the vintage version because it'll probably ruin the new version for me.

Ooh Mystic,,, thank you so much for your comments. I will go ahead and try it now :-)

Bringing this one back to life because I LOVE this fragrance and want to see if this will shake up any new responses....

I can't stand the modern Narcisse Noir, but I can't claim to truly know it, as even since 2007 many of my favorites have been altered irreparably ( see my recent post bemoaning Poivre and Farnesiana - agh! ) I could love Narcisse Noir from back in the day - as is, I simply don't know.

The weird thing is, even though Mr. Fraysse has murdered two of my all-time favorite fragrances, I actually quite enjoy his contribution to the line ( Tubereuse ). If only he'd have stuck to formulation rather than reformulation, I'd feel well disposed towards him.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    ...I am not going to sample the vintage version because it'll probably ruin the new version for me.
    Ditto this! I love the current Narcisse Noir and Poivre extraits, and I don't want spoil that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    Resurrected this thread to thank Kumquat for a such a great suggestion re. Profumum Neroli - I have been interested in this Profumum for a while anyhow ( price point and my current distance, makes me hesistate somewhat ) ,thanks to Kumquat but now I hear it's scent twins with Narcisse Noir- it can't get better than that.
    I got a sample of this, thanks to Kumquat's suggestion on another thread. It IS glorious, and though I love them both, I might love the Neroli more!

Basenotes Institution

Haunani - I also tried Profumum's Neroli but it fails on my skin . I may just try one more time though.....

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    Ditto this! I love the current Narcisse Noir and Poivre extraits, and I don't want spoil that.
    To be fair to modern Poivre, I don't think comparing it to old Poivre to old would ruin it for someone who loved the new stuff - they're just SO different. The biggest reformulation I've yet smelled. Even my mother, not into perfume, was kind of shocked. "This was the apple pie one we both liked," I told her, and she was just incredulous that it was the same fragrance.

For fans of the new trying to picture old Poivre, imagine the spices dialed down by two thirds, combined with a lot more rose, with much less pepper and more cinnamon, and given a very rich, warm, oriental base that's now almost totally absent. Modern Poivre is kind of like a cross between Penhaglion's Elixir ( which I'll now recommend to every modern Poivre fan - it's great ) and one of the spicy CdG's like White or the original CdG EdP. Old Poivre was more akin to a spicier, floral Ambre Narguille, or an even better an analogy if you've tried it, Biehl's AL02 ( which I think I'll have to get now, expensive as it is, as it's certainly cheaper than hunting down vintage Poivre! )

Basenotes Institution

Thanks Suga- I do understand the difference between vintage and new Poivre a little more now. The old Poivre must have been a fine fine beauty .

Bringing this one back to life because I LOVE this fragrance and want to see if this will shake up any new responses....
    Hi BayKAT,

I urge you to try all the vintage formulations. The cologne and EdT can be had more cheaply online than the extrait, but they are much stronger than today's EdT and colognes. And fyi to you and others who have inquired, the slim EDT bottle with the colorful artsy illustration of a woman (colors are bluish, greenish, black if I recall) is a later vintage but still way more intense than the current formulations.

Some ebay sellers seem to be selling this version without calling it vintage. I would grab that one ahead of the current formulation. (Always checking, of course, that the posted photo is a pic of actual product for sale).

I have bottles of Nocturnes and Nuit de Noel EDT from in this middling vintage and they are quite strong, dark, complex, with the wonderful Mouse Saxe base. Just so you know, this middle vintage always has an colorfully illustrated squarish label. I would guess this iteration dates from the 80s/early 90s but I'm just not sure.

The vintage extrait, of course, is to die for. I hope you haunt antique shops up your way, you might find a dusty bottle tucked away somewhere. That's where I found my 1/4 oz extrait.

Wow, I never thought about it before, but you are onto something! There is definitely a delightful similarity. I have a little left of an old bottle of extrait that, despite some pretty heavy evaporation, is simply divine. I tried the reformulation and it is an atrocity.
    Don a wig of larks and fly!

I wore Narcisse Noir in edt and extrait back in the 1990s, it was such a beautiful mysterious perfume. Is new Narcisse Noir as dark and exceptional, no it's not, it's brighter and less dramatic, however compared to what perfumery is today, sugary tenn fruitchoulis and thin florals, I don't care what some famous critic who obviously has a strong personal bias against the houses of Caron and Creed out there says. Narcisse Noir, specially in its parfum form is still a great perfume. Dita Von Teese just twitted about Narcisse Noir lately, she's not some angry perfume critic but she's the queen of Old Hollywood glam!
    Last edited by vegangirl; 2nd October 2012 at 04:12 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Denise View Post
    Hi BayKAT,
    the slim EDT bottle with the colorful artsy illustration of a woman (colors are bluish, greenish, black if I recall) is a later vintage but still way more intense than the current formulations.

Some ebay sellers seem to be selling this version without calling it vintage. I would grab that one ahead of the current formulation. (Always checking, of course, that the posted photo is a pic of actual product for sale).
    l agree with this. l bought one of these bottles off ebay for a reasonable price, & although it is not as thick & "dark" as the extrait, the same rich orange blossom & civet are there. Waaaaaaay better than the current EDT, which is a pretty but pale shadow of its former self.
    l adore the vintage extrait, which l managed to sample courtesy of Surrender to Chance; it is heartbreakingly gorgeous. But l cannot justify spending the huge amount of money required to buy a bottle, when it may have deteriorated with age.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.