Code of Conduct

Default Acqua Di Parma Colonia Vs Assoluta

I am nearing the end of my first purchase of Colonia Assoluta and was wondering how similar Assoluta is to the original. I would really like to try the original or should I stick with the Assoluta. I really liked Assoluta and I dont want to be disappointed if I switch to the original colonia. Any info would be great.
    Last edited by Sampson23; 1st December 2009 at 11:33 AM.

Default Re: Acqua Di Parma Colonia Vs Assoluta

There are lots of threads on this, so use the search function to find bunches of discussion.

In summary, both have lots of fans here and while you wiil find some favoring Colonia and others favoring Assoluta, you don't find many people loving one and trashing the other.

My recommendation is to get a sample of Colonia and then decide.

I guess I am one of the people who equally like both.

They are quite different, in my opinion. Assoluta is a woody citrus and Colonia is a classic eau de cologne with some dusty rose. Personally I love the original colonia but don't like the Assoluta at all.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

I prefer Assoluta, and find that it lasts much longer on my skin than Colonia.

Thanks for all the info. I have contacted them directly about getting a sample.

I love them both. . .but the original is smoother, livelier and and absolutely invigorating. Assoluta is better than most frags on the market, but it can be a tad harsh sometimes with the spicy wood notes.

Either way you can't go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    They are quite different, in my opinion. Assoluta is a woody citrus and Colonia is a classic eau de cologne with some dusty rose. Personally I love the original colonia but don't like the Assoluta at all.
    I agree, Assoluta smelled like a premium version of Brut imo, very sharp and astringent, with no charm or sweetness. The original Colonia, when the lavender isn't dominant, is really a superior frag to everything else in Acqua Di Parma's line, and superior to much else as well.

I should state that I have reached for Colonia more than any other fragrance in my wardrobe this year: over 40 times!

I own and enjoy both.

In addition to the differences in classification already pointed out, Colonia is more restrained, a gentleman's fragrance. Colonia Assoluta is "louder", lasts hours longer, and if overapplied (as I have done) might be perceived as a bit gauche.

what, no love for Intensa?
    Tom Ford Splits!!!!
    Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir, Costa Azzura,
    Neroli Portofino,
    Plum Japonais, Lavender Palm and
    AMBER ABSOLUTE, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    I totally agree.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 1st December 2009 at 09:33 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I totally agree.
    I totally agree with your total agreement.

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Sampson, good onya for getting a sample.

People often cite the longevity issues with the original Colonia but, hand-to-heart, the opening twenty minutes of it remain the best thing I have ever smelled in my life.

When the sweetened citrus starts to give way to the rosy floral heart at the end of that period...unreal. And I am hardly a citrus or rose aficionado.

Hope you like it.

Thanks for all the replies. I obtained a sample of Tom Ford for men this morning. I like the Tom Ford but I only want to purchase the one fragrance. I guess I will have to make a choice and go with it.

Thanks again for all the help.

Assoluta might just be my favorite fragrance. I only tried the regular Colonia one time but it was a fleeting experience on my dry skin. Couldn't detect it 90 minutes later. Perhaps a heavier application would've helped. I feel like Assoluta is a perfect extension of who I am. Clean, Confident, Modest, Mellow, and Elegant. Not that I fit that mold perfectly, but it is what I am striving for. Assoluta also lasts for 8+ hours on my skin with two sprays, and will last for days after on the collars of my shirts.