Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Favorites from the Histoires de Parfum Line

I got in my sample of 1725 the other day, haven't had a chance to sample it yet, but plan on doing so tonight. I've heard almost nothing but good things about this line, and a few of them are always brought up, 1969 and Marquis de Sade. What others ones are worth checking out?
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Favorites from the Histoires de Parfum Line

Marquis de Sade
    Ambre 114
    Noir Patchouli
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Ditto on the Amber 114, another great one!
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 1st December 2009 at 11:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely try the Noir Patchouli and Ambre 114 (I really want the Ambre).
    A great feminine is the George Sand (I think it's 1804). The GF loves that one.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

SmellChaser
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

1828 is my favorite. And it gets me more compliments than anything else I wear.
    Ambre 114 is a great dry amber.
    I like the new 1826. Possibly better as a feminine. Oh, the old 1826 is awful! Totally different fragrance.
    Marquis de Sade (1740?) has some rather complex development. It impresses me, but not for me to own.
    I think 1804 is a nice feminine.

Post Thanks / Like

Ambre 114 is a definite must try.

1740 Marquis de Sade is also a great fragrance

1828 Jules Verne is also quite nice
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    1828 is my favorite. And it gets me more compliments than anything else I wear.
    Ambre 114 is a great dry amber.
    I like the new 1826. Possibly better as a feminine. Oh, the old 1826 is awful! Totally different fragrance.
    Marquis de Sade (1740?) has some rather complex development. It impresses me, but not for me to own.
    I think 1804 is a nice feminine.
    What's the difference between the two? How would I know which is the new and which the old?
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Post Thanks / Like

The Ambre sounds amazing from the notes. That's going on the sample list.

Post Thanks / Like

Ambre 114 is the best in the line and I just bought a decant

after that I think 1725, 1969 and 1740 all worth checking out

SmellChaser
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    What's the difference between the two? How would I know which is the new and which the old?
    Do you have manufacturer's samples? If so, the new come with colorful labels. The old are rather plain and came with paper inserts.

I will type out the notes when I get a chance.

Post Thanks / Like

Ambre 114 and 1740 Marquis de Sade are two great ones.

'69 , not really - go with Guerlain 68 instead.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have manufacturer's samples? If so, the new come with colorful labels. The old are rather plain and came with paper inserts.

I will type out the notes when I get a chance.
    Oh, no I'll be getting them from TPC. I'd really appreciate the notes, then I can compare with the TPC description.

SmellChaser
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

New 1826 is described as a "sensual amber". Its notes are:

Top notes : Bergamot, Tangerine;
    Heart Notes : White flowers, Violet, Ginger, Cinnamon;
    Base Notes : Patchouli, Amber, Incense from Jakarta, Vanilla

Old 1826 is described as a "fruity chypre". Its notes are:

Top Notes: Corsican peach, strawberry, Tahitian coconut,
    Heart Notes: white flower bouquet, orange blossom, Egyptian jasmine, Bulgarian rose,
    Base Notes: incense, vanilla, cacao, benzoin, patchouli, cedar, sandalwood

I put a little of each on each hand. Radically different scents.

Sorry I didn't get to this right away!

SmellChaser
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh, no I'll be getting them from TPC. I'd really appreciate the notes, then I can compare with the TPC description.
    Per their notes, they have the new ones.

You might save a little money getting them at Beauty Cafe (see: http://www.beautycafe.com/histoires_des_parfums.htm). That is where the HdP website sends US customers. If they are manufacturer samples, they are 1.5 ml a piece.

The new 1826 strikes me as somewhat gourmand, with floral and amber tones.

The old 1826 has a dominant berry note that feels rather synthetic, a touch of florals and incense. It does nothing for me.
    Last edited by scentsitivity; 2nd December 2009 at 01:01 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

New 1826 is described as a "sensual amber". Its notes are:

Top notes : Bergamot, Tangerine;
    Heart Notes : White flowers, Violet, Ginger, Cinnamon;
    Base Notes : Patchouli, Amber, Incense from Jakarta, Vanilla

Old 1826 is described as a "fruity chypre". Its notes are:

Top Notes: Corsican peach, strawberry, Tahitian coconut,
    Heart Notes: white flower bouquet, orange blossom, Egyptian jasmine, Bulgarian rose,
    Base Notes: incense, vanilla, cacao, benzoin, patchouli, cedar, sandalwood

I put a little of each on each hand. Radically different scents.

Sorry I didn't get to this right away!
    Thanks man! Tangerine is an interesting note, though I'm not so confident in my ability to wear it!

SmellChaser
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks man! Tangerine is an interesting note, though I'm not so confident in my ability to wear it!
    As someone who wears Miller Harris' Tangerine Vert, I don't think you will have any problem with 1826. Honestly, I don't catch the note in it. Simply put, I would describe it as a gourmand-floral-amber. Just my initial impressions.

I prefer 1828 (Jules Verne) to 1826, for what its worth.

Are these full-bodied scents or do they wear close?
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Post Thanks / Like

The quality of ingredients in this line are pretty darn good, but the fragrances themselves didn't "wow" me.

Casanova (1725) was really good - smooth and classy, but it doesn't stand up to Invasion Barbare, which is similar, but better.

Marquis de Sade is a badass immortelle and leather scent, but I found it too sharp and herbal, so I prefer Eau Noire, which is sweeter and smoother.

Ambre 114, on the other hand, is one of my favorite ambers, good enough to stand up to Ambre Sultan and Ambre Precieux. I'm not sure, but it just might be my favorite "true" amber fragrance.

Post Thanks / Like

The Mata Hari (1876) is glorious, one of the best in the line.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser sa source

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by L'aventurier View Post
    The quality of ingredients in this line are pretty darn good, but the fragrances themselves didn't "wow" me.

Casanova (1725) was really good - smooth and classy, but it doesn't stand up to Invasion
    Barbare, which is similar, but better.

Marquis de Sade is a badass immortelle and leather scent, but I found it too sharp and herbal, so I prefer Eau Noire, which is sweeter and smoother.

Ambre 114, on the other hand, is one of my favorite ambers, good enough to stand up to Ambre Sultan and Ambre Precieux. I'm not sure, but it just might be my favorite "true" amber fragrance.
    Interesting I never heard of Invastion Barbare I will have to look for that one to compare

But I totally agree with you with regards to Ambre 114.

Ambre 114 is one scent that just WoW'ed me out of any amber's that I have tried.

Post Thanks / Like

My favourites are Ambre114 and Patchouli Noir. Especially the patchouli does NOT wear close to skin. This is one of my most potent bottles and I always go very easy on the trigger...
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

Post Thanks / Like

Wow my little sample pack from Histoires de Parfums arrived yesterday, great timing with the thread! I got mine from their website, came in a bunch of big (maybe 2ml?) vials and a nice big sheet of descriptions/notes, for something like 5 euros, pretty good price.

I've tried two so far:

1828 (Jules Verne)
    Remarkably similar to Cologne Noire*, a bitter, fresh green forest floor with little citrus spikes. It has the same cedar and vetiver, alongside pepper and aromatic crushed spices (nutmeg, whatever). Differences though, a very blasting fresh eucalyptus that gives us a certain minty freshness, as well as a strong patchouli and a thick incense (like Profumum's Olibanum) that isn't as transparent as Cologne Noire, and less warm and gently smoky than French Lover. It feels more like a fougere than a cologne to begin with, before slowing down into a sweet kind of amber (herbaceous amber like Ambre Sultan).

1876 (Mata-Hari)
    A dark peppered rose. The rose retains its certain plush, deep red character, but is totally subverted by an intense heat, from thick curling frankincense, cinnamon and ground cumin, and a big dose of black pepper. The powdery rose hits it with the powdered spices so well, creating a big, swirling, sensual dust that lingers and then settles, hours later, into a warm musky sandalwood. Suffocating, in a good way.

(* I'd written my impression of Van Cleef & Arpels Cologne Noire just a few days ago, which is the reason for the quick comparison.)

Liked both of them, 1876 more because I really like rose-based perfumes and this was very much its own simmering creation. I'm going to try the Ambre 114 and the famous Marquis de sade tonight. (That just reminded me of the movie Salo, which I am not going to watch with the marquis de sade fragrance, because I want to sleep tonight)
    Last edited by nwatts88; 2nd December 2009 at 07:44 AM. Reason: just realised i'd written the wrong dates in my notes

de Sade and Casanova are my favourites from HdP line.

Casanova is gourmand fougere which make me think of Laduree lavender and fleurdorange petit cookies & epoque galante every time I wear it.
    Invasion Barbare is more daring and modern perfume than Casanova, but both are in my wardrobe complementing each other.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Coincidentally, I just got samples from Beauty Cafe for 1740, 1828, 1969, Noir Patchouli, and Ambre 114. They are 1.5 ml sample vials. From a quick sniff of all, I liked 1828 (Jules Verne), but I really haven't tested them out yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Wore 1725 last night, it reminded me very much of Jaipur. I could barely smell it though, it seems that incredibly powdery notes often register in a frequency beyond what I can smell easily.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 2nd December 2009 at 02:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I've actually only tested Marquis de Sade, which I like a lot. Imortelle is one of my weaknesses...

Post Thanks / Like

Can anyone who has tried 1969 compare it to Frapin 1270 for me? From the reviews and descriptions it sounds like they'd be similar. If they are, I don't think I'm going to bother sampling it. This is a case where I think I don't need to similar scents in my drobe.

Post Thanks / Like

Can anyone who has tried 1969 compare it to Frapin 1270 for me? From the reviews and descriptions it sounds like they'd be similar. If they are, I don't think I'm going to bother sampling it. This is a case where I think I don't need to similar scents in my drobe.
    These two are nothing alike.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by surreality View Post
    These two are nothing alike.
    Oh ok good. I'll add that to the sample list as well then.

Post Thanks / Like

Tried Ambre 114: amazing. I've always found that dedicated amber perfumes have had one thing about them I disliked, whereas this was blended so seamlessly that individual notes barely poked their heads above the clouds. Specifically, it was what I wanted Ambre Sultan to be.

Also tried the 1725 which I didn't enjoy as much. Immortalle is something I struggle to like, and while I found this sickly sweet molten leather-spice concoction to be rich and sprawling, it wasn't something I liked to have on my skin. One in the "appreciate but not enjoy" basket.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

Ooh, Histoires de Parfums is definitely one of my top niche houses offering high quality scents with an aristocratic refinement that I really dig.

My faves from the line:-

Ambre 114
    Noir Patchouli
    Blanc Violette
    1725 Casanova
    1740 Marquis de Sade
    1828 Jules Verne
    1876 Mata Hari
    1969 Revolte

Btw, it only cost me 10 Euro to get the 12 samples from HDP. That's what I call a great sampling programme, unlike TDC's.
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 2nd December 2009 at 05:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I got two more samples the other day from the HdP line. I agree that Ambre 114 is great, and probably close to the top of best ambres I've experienced. Tonight I'm sampling for the first time 1969, and I'm sort of confused with it. This is supposed to be a gourmand? It's certainly nothing like any other gourmand I've ever smelled. Absent is the deep vanilla or cocoa I was expecting. The initial wiff brought some patchouli and quite a bit of fruit, but after that it's pretty much amber, fruit, and florals. Could I have gotten the wrong sample? The color of my sample is basically clear, with not touch of coloring to it.

Post Thanks / Like

1969 should have a note that smells like the skin of a really ripe peach with a little white chocolate adding sweetness. It is not like most gourmands that smell obviously gourmandish, it is a little more subtle and restrained.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

I got two more samples the other day from the HdP line. I agree that Ambre 114 is great, and probably close to the top of best ambres I've experienced. Tonight I'm sampling for the first time 1969, and I'm sort of confused with it. This is supposed to be a gourmand? It's certainly nothing like any other gourmand I've ever smelled. Absent is the deep vanilla or cocoa I was expecting. The initial wiff brought some patchouli and quite a bit of fruit, but after that it's pretty much amber, fruit, and florals. Could I have gotten the wrong sample? The color of my sample is basically clear, with not touch of coloring to it.
    1969 is never meant to be a gourmand scent even if it does make use of gourmand notes. I find it hard to describe as the interplay of notes is complex, the blend subtle but I do get hints of cocoa. 1969 Revolte is meant to reflect the tumultuous year, and perhaps that's why the cacophony of notes is harder to decipher much less understand.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys how would you compare Ambre 114 to other main stream BN's favourites such as Ambre Sultan, Ambre Precieux, Blue Amber, Ambre Russe, etc?
    "What actions are most excellent? To gladden the heart of human beings, to feed the hungry, to help the afflicted, to lighten the sorrow of the sorrowful, and to remove the sufferings of the injured" Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aerandir4 View Post
    Hey guys how would you compare Ambre 114 to other main stream BN's favourites such as Ambre Sultan, Ambre Precieux, Blue Amber, Ambre Russe, etc?
    I can only compare it against Ambre Sultan since I've yet to sample the others. As much as I love Sultan's herbal amber start, it can get a little too sweet towards the drydown. Ambre 114 is more linear, but feels smokier and less sweet. Maybe it's time for a 'celebrity deathmatch'...

Post Thanks / Like

I am biased but I think Ambre 114 is by far the best amber fragrance of those you have listed (although the MPG offering is a close second). Ambre 114 is decidely less sweet than most amber frags, more spicy and herbal and definitely leaning toward the more masculine end of the spectrum. It's longevity is good, but I find Blue Amber to last a bit longer. The spicy and herbal notes temper the amber and I find that I can wear Ambre 114 when it is -20 or 100+ and it still feels great to wear.

Post Thanks / Like

sounds good to me, perhaps I should search for a decant or sample.
    "What actions are most excellent? To gladden the heart of human beings, to feed the hungry, to help the afflicted, to lighten the sorrow of the sorrowful, and to remove the sufferings of the injured" Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aerandir4 View Post
    I would compare it in style with Ambre Sultan. Not surprisingly Ambre Sultan is another favorite ambre of mine.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I DID get 1969 then, I'm pretty sure there's peach in there.

I wonder if anyone has smelt the new tuberose scents from HdP?