Code of Conduct

Default Is this real Mysore Sandalwood?

Then why is it so cheap:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1ml-Pure-100-Mys...item439b234429

Anyone experience with this seller please comment.

Default Re: Is this real Mysore Sandalwood?

Probably not, but I can't attest to that from personal experience.

Hmm..

I will step out on a limb and state there is no way on god's green earth that you can get a good quality, aged Mysore sandalwood even for 10 times that price for 1 ml. It just isn't going to happen.

A shame for such a reputable seller.

It is of course real Mysore Sandalwood acquired by the seller personally in an equitable trade with Tippu Sultan at the turn of the 19th Century!

In the body of this post, it states (twice) that it is PERFUME oil...this is an indication that it is synthetic or a synthetic blend.

Quote Originally Posted by bokaba View Post
    It is of course real Mysore Sandalwood acquired by the seller personally in an equitable trade with Tippu Sultan at the turn of the 19th Century!
    I'm still waiting on my share. I was the mediator in that deal -- dayum, Tipu cheated me

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Quote Originally Posted by SoGent View Post
    I will step out on a limb and state there is no way on god's green earth that you can get a good quality, aged Mysore sandalwood even for 10 times that price for 1 ml. It just isn't going to happen.
    For 1ml? Surely you can. Perhaps you are thinking one ounce? At the price he's listing, one ounce (30ml) would be almost $180. I'm not saying you'd get the best aged oil for the price but you could get authentic mysore santalum album oil in that range.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Blog Entries

Tester 1ml Pure 100% Mysore Sandalwood Absolute Essential Perfume Oil
    Good god, it's like how many words does it take to misrepresent a product.

Anyway, you should be able to find Sandalwood EO in that price range, probably not high quality Mysore sandalwood but real essential oil, however I make it a point to never buy essential oils from eBay. A reputable site has it at $7.34 for 1mL, and I'd gladly pay the difference to know I'm not being had.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

I understand what you're saying Soul . . . . but I know my own experience with a 50 year old supply. I'll buck up & stick with my original assertion. Anyone with the good stuff which is real, likely won't let it go anyway - it's WAY too rare.

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    For 1ml? Surely you can. Perhaps you are thinking one ounce? At the price he's listing, one ounce (30ml) would be almost $180. I'm not saying you'd get the best aged oil for the price but you could get authentic mysore santalum album oil in that range.

For reference, I bought a ml of the profumum.it mysore sandalwood from The Perfumed Court. It provides a framework for me to understand this note.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SoGent View Post
    I understand what you're saying Soul . . . . but I know my own experience with a 50 year old supply. I'll buck up & stick with my original assertion. Anyone with the good stuff which is real, likely won't let it go anyway - it's WAY too rare.
    Well, he never asked if it was good, or aged, at that price point. Just if it's real, which I'd say probably not because it's eBay more than because it's cheap. But getting real sandalwood oil in itself is possible at around that price point, without bringing quality or age into it (my experience with the company I linked above is that it should be of at least a decent quality).
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Post Re: Is this real Mysore Sandalwood?

What do they say about things that sound too good to be true?????
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Since it is a perfume oil, it could be diluted with something. The ad says "alcohol free", but it could be diluted with another oil.

This quote is from Wikipedia (link to whole article below.)

"Perfume oils are often diluted with a solvent, though this is not always the case, and its necessity is disputed. By far the most common solvent for perfume oil dilution is ethanol or a mixture of ethanol and water. Perfume oil can also be diluted by means of neutral-smelling oils such as fractionated coconut oil, or liquid waxes such as jojoba oil."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfume
    Last edited by Bossa Nova; 2nd December 2009 at 06:55 PM.

Got it Blue & I stand corrected. So the answer then is NO but then that's just my take on it which - admittedly - is a little skewed.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesoul View Post
    Well, he never asked if it was good, or aged, at that price point. Just if it's real, which I'd say probably not because it's eBay more than because it's cheap. But getting real sandalwood oil in itself is possible at around that price point, without bringing quality or age into it (my experience with the company I linked above is that it should be of at least a decent quality).