Code of Conduct

Question Penhaligon's / free samples?

This past Saturday i e-mailed Penhaligon's and asked politely, if its possible, could i please get four samples. I told them i own and love Hammam Bouquet and i'm thinking about adding a second bottle to my collection. I would like to try before i buy. I asked for Castile, Endymion, LP No.9 for Men and Opus 1870.

I would have ordered their Scent Library if it came with Castile and LP No.9 FM.

Its now almost Wednesday and i still no response from them.
    I'm just wondering if anyone here has had any luck in getting samples from Penhaligon's.

I have been on a British kick lately and i'm dying to try these!
    Endymion especially, has been on my to smell list for a long, long time.
    Thanks.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Default Re: Penhaligon's / free samples?

Yea I've gotten free samples from them, but that was about two years ago.
    Spring/Summer Wardrobe: vetiver extraordinaire, rose 31, terre d'hermes!

It's the crisis I guess.

Since they're free you have to wait until they stock them and ship them. The USA center is usually pretty responsive thought I have not dealt with the UK stockist. I imagine they are swamped this time of year.

Depending on exactly which branch of Penhaligon's you approach, they can be very forthcoming with samples. I've received several from H.O, and one other store in particular sent me 25 LPNo9 samples AND a tester of LPNo9 when it was discontinued a few years ago. All I was doing at the time was making a casual enquiry as to whether they had any in stock!
    These were European stores, so i cant speak for the US.

Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 7th December 2009 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Added pic

In my experience, you'll probably just receive a plain manila envelope with the scents you requested one day.
    I asked for 3 different scents from them and got no email response. 2 weeks later I got an envelope with 2 vials in it.
    I emailed back thanking them and asking about the third scent (politely and gratefully). They replied that the third was out of stock and they'd send it when they got it. That was 4 months ago and I had written it of. However, a week ago I got another envelope out of the blue with the last scent in it! A nice surprise!
    They're not terribly communicative, but I bet you'll get your samples.

Matthew

I got them for free, in fact I got every single men's scent for free. But I didn't get them directly from Penhaligon's, I got them from the Yale Museum of British Art.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
    ...I asked for Castile, Endymion, LP No.9 for Men and Opus 1870.
    I would have ordered their Scent Library if it came with Castile and LP No.9 FM...
    My scent library came with all of those...did they change it?
    ďI wanna say something. Iím gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you donít, send it right backÖ."

Quote Originally Posted by arlecchino View Post
    My scent library came with all of those...did they change it?
    Possibly. I dont ever recall LPNo9 for Him being included in a Penhaligon's scent library.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

About 2 months ago I emailed Penhaligon's USA and requested 3 samples for myself and my husband, and they replied fairly quickly-- and we did receive the samples soon afterward.

Thanks for all of the replies.

I didn't even think about it being the Christmas season.
    Maybe i just need a little more patience.

Here is the link to their Scent Library. There is no Castile or LP No.9 FM.

http://www.penhaligons.co.uk/shop/fr...ry-496795.html
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

if you want a sample of LP No 9 for men let me know I can do one from my own bottle

Quote Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
    Here is the link to their Scent Library. There is no Castile or LP No.9 FM.
    That link points to a Men's and Women's Scent Library (combined)...the one I got was just the Men's, which doesn't appear to be on the website...maybe they're not doing it anymore and only offering a combined set?

I found the Gentleman's Scent Library at an actual Penhaligon's Boutique (Madison Ave. NYC). It's in a black box, the Woman's was white. You could always give them a call to see if they still do it and what's in it.

Mine has:
    LP No.9 for Men
    Hammam Bouquet
    Opus 1870
    Endymion
    Quercus
    Castile
    Raquets
    English Fern
    Douro
    Blenheim Bouquet
    ďI wanna say something. Iím gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you donít, send it right backÖ."

Quote Originally Posted by chaosman View Post
    if you want a sample of LP No 9 for men let me know I can do one from my own bottle
    Quote Originally Posted by arlecchino View Post
    That link points to a Men's and Women's Scent Library (combined)...the one I got was just the Men's, which doesn't appear to be on the website...maybe they're not doing it anymore and only offering a combined set?

I found the Gentleman's Scent Library at an actual Penhaligon's Boutique (Madison Ave. NYC). It's in a black box, the Woman's was white. You could always give them a call to see if they still do it and what's in it.

Mine has:
    LP No.9 for Men
    Hammam Bouquet
    Opus 1870
    Endymion
    Quercus
    Castile
    Raquets
    English Fern
    Douro
    Blenheim Bouquet
    Thank you for the offer chaosman. But i did get a reply from them a few days ago. They said they can only send one complimentary sample, so i picked LP No.9 FM. They also said you can choose the fragrances you want in the SL if you contact customer service.
    I opted for the single sample because funds are a little low this time of year.

I am not greedy and don't expect something for nothing, but their customer service seems to be inconsistent. Some get them all, some get a few, some get one and some get none!
    Check out this thread over at Badger & Blade.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=37824