Code of Conduct

Default Similar to Creed Bois du Portugal?

A couple of questions.

What fragrances do you think are most similar to Creed Bois du Portugal?

In which fragrance category would you put Creed Bois du Portugal?

Default Re: Similar to Creed Bois du Portugal?

I haven't smelled anything quite like Bois du Portugal. I find it an extremely powerful woody fragrance with a nice dry musk to it. It has just a bit of that signature Creed basenote. Very nice to smell, but doesn't really fit me, so I don't wear it.

If you're looking for a sample, I could send you what I have left of mine for the price of postage. I used about a quarter of it to try it out, but there's still plenty there. A sampling of something you've got would be nice in exchange, but not necessary. I'd send it anyway. I'm never going to wear it, and if someone else can get some benefit, I'll be happy.
    Last edited by Galleddrim; 2nd December 2009 at 06:55 PM.
    Current Wardrobe (in no particular odor, HAHA!):

Creed Green Irish Tweed, Creed Silver Mountain Water, Creed Himalaya, Creed Tabarome, Aramis Havana, Bond No.9 Central Park, Trussardi Inside, Fahrenheit Absolute, Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit De L'Homme, Guerlain L'Instant Homme, David Beckham Signature, Cartier Declaration Essence, Azzaro Visit, Azzaro Silver-Black, Azzaro Pure Vetiver, Dunhill X-Centric, Perry Ellis Reserve, Armani Attitude, Armani Mania, Bvlgari Aqva, Jacomo Paradox Green, Canali Summer Night, Kouros Cologne Sport, Realm Men, Lolita Lempicka Au Masculine, St. Patrick, Cuba (Red, Green, Gold, Black, Grey, Brown, Maya), Opium Pour Homme EDP, Banana Republic Cordovan, Amouage Epic Man, J. Peterman 1902, Bogart City Tower.

Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree is said to be similar

Quote Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
    Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree is said to be similar
    Agreed.

Some have said Guerlain Heritage is similar.

I don't quite see it, but it may be worth a sample. Heritage is a great fragrance on it's own, and deserves a place in any wardrobe, whether it's a "Bois du Portugal replacement" or not.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

Los Angeles, CA- too damn close to Scent Bar

I have both BdP and PMC and I don't see much similarity...PMC more vanilla, CdP spicier and woodier.

PdN New York sort of similar among scents I've tried or use.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 2nd December 2009 at 07:35 PM.
    Currently wearing: Royal Oud by Creed

Somewhat similar: Zino Davidoff, even Hermes Rocabar

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Moon View Post
    Some have said Guerlain Heritage is similar.

I don't quite see it, but it may be worth a sample. Heritage is a great fragrance on it's own, and deserves a place in any wardrobe, whether it's a "Bois du Portugal replacement" or not.
    Kind of similar but they're almost the same price now. All the cheap Heritages have dried up.

Very similar to Bois du Portugal is New York by Nicolai and Heritage by Guerlain. The New York has a little more leather/oakmoss in the drydown and the Guerlain has a vanilla basenote instead of amber. But, otherwise these all smell very similar. I still like BdP best!
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 2nd December 2009 at 08:59 PM.

I tried PdN New York based on some thread that said it was similar. To me it kind of is and kind of isn't. I love BdP but it's longevity is somewhat lacking for me.

If you love BdP and cost is the issue, I say hold out or buy smaller decantst. Nothing else will smell exactly like it. Same neighborhood but not the same house.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 2nd December 2009 at 09:46 PM.

the problem I have with BdP is that every time I tried it or owned a bottle of it it always smells a little different, and I am not talking about my memory of the scent changing. Creed does not seems to make their BdP consistent
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 04/24/2017)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Quote Originally Posted by Hasupk@gmail.com View Post
    the problem I have with BdP is that every time I tried it or owned a bottle of it it always smells a little different, and I am not talking about my memory of the scent changing. Creed does not seems to make their BdP consistent
    Hmmm. I wonder what will happen if I buy it. I have a sample here, and I've been going by that.

I found Carven Homme to be the closest to BdP I've tried. Yet BdP has more intense wood and is less sweet than CH, whose sweetness comes from vanilla, but I would say CH is still not as sweet as either Rocabar or Chanel pour Monsieur Concentree, mentioned above. And CH has more spice than BdP. I prefer CH over BdP myself--for the overall composition of notes--even though I would say BdP is superior in terms of craftsmanship and quality, something that's partly reflected in the price difference!
    Last edited by Spicemeister; 11th December 2009 at 06:17 PM.

i already have Chanel PMC, Guerlian Heritage EdT/EdP and PDN New York. i used to have a sample of BdP... i earlier used to feel BdP shares similarity with NY (not even remotely close to PMC)..but now, i feel BdP had nothing in common with NY or Heritage. However, if it's superficial similarity that you are lookin for? then PDN NY and Heritage will find home in your collection in a breath.

IIRC, BdP went from an ashtray to a bar of lavender soap, and I've never sampled another frag that did that. So, if that's what you want, you may not get it anywhere else. If you want the ashtray thing, perhaps Jasmine et Cigarette, and if you want the lavender soap/fougere thing, there are plenty, including the super-cheapo Lomani, which is quite good for what it is.

Dependent

I've never smelled anything similar to Creed Bois du Portugal. I've tried Parfums de Nicolaï New York and it didn't make me think of Bois du Portugal, which seems stronger and more "rough".

No one's mentioned Karl Lagerfeld's KL Homme yet.

New York (de Nicolai) is a great fragrance, but it isn't all that similar to BdP. Heritage is also good if you like the woody amber foghorn that comes with it. Very seldom do you find two scents all that close to each other. Havana and Montana Parfum d'Homme are the closest of any two I know.

If you want Bois du Portugal, get Bois du Portugal. Nothing else is all that similar.

Bois du Portugal is a woody oriental, btw.

Penhaligons Racquets is in a similar vein although not as rich or polished but can be obtained for a good price on flea bay.

Now I got the New York-BdP comparisons. I put on PdN New York today.

In the moment it is leaving the sprayer towards your arm, it smells identical to that same stage of BdP. But it veers quickly away after that.

Blog Entries

Heritage is close, but lacks the bitterness and smokiness of Bois Du Portugal.
    That is why I suggest trying BDP's pothead son, Rocabar by Hermes.