Code of Conduct

Default Why no love for L'Homme Sage?

Divine's L'Homme Sage gets great reviews from those that know about, but then how come it's not more well known? I sampled it for the first time last night, and it came off to me as very similar to the highly lauded Amouage Jubilation XXV. I actually prefer L'Homme Sage to Jubilation though, it just feels more comfortable to wear to me. What are your guys' thoughts on this one?
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Default Re: Why no love for L'Homme Sage?

I just find it mediocre on all levels. A grand "meh" all around.

i cherished the sample that i had. it's a wonderful scent. and you know what, Trebor likes it..need i say more?

It was my first niche purchase when I finally decided I was unhappy with designer scents. I still enjoy this frag today. Yann Vasnier is a great nose.

The first sample I tried never really stuck out in my head as being something I wanted to sample again, but I have begun to appreciate it for what it is.

Personally, L'Homme Sage came off as a well made but quite boring to me -- it lost it's novelty rather quickly. You're right about the XXV similarities too, I had made that connection in a previous thread. Just add some Sequoia to L'Homme Sage and you get something quite relative to XXV.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Basenotes Institution

There was something about the dry down that just bothered my nose and I couldn't stand it after a few weeks of wearing it.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

I get an odd "rubbery" note in there, plus it's got the fruit from XXV, but toned WAY down.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Although I think L'Homme de Coeur is my better than Sage, that one has bored me a bit too. I don't think I've used more than a few ml's from my bottle.

Easily one of my top three choices. I just bought a 50ml refillable spray and a 150ml bottle of it. Seems a local spa that carried Divine products went bankrupt and just walked out. The owner of the building told the remodeling crew to take whatever they wanted. The husband of the woman I bought it from brought home 55 new, wrapped in cellophane bottles of various Divine products. They looked it up on the web and could not believe the retail prices. They are offering unbeatable prices on it and donating 20 percent to a 2 yr old cancer patient at St. Jude hospital. I'm trying to decide how much more to buy and stash away.
    Trying to make the world a better place, one sniff at a time

I absolutely loved it, then it got annoying for me for some reason. I can't explain exactly what puts me off in it, but I like Jubilation XXV better. Jubilation is a bit smoother and less pungent, whereas L'Homme Sage has some sort of incense note that just gets on my nerves. It's also lacking something I can't put my finger on.

It is a great scent, and definitely deserves more attention on BN, it just wasn't for me. Strange because it has all my favorite notes... oh well.
    Sales thread here

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    i cherished the sample that i had. it's a wonderful scent. and you know what, Trebor likes it..need i say more?
    I heard you!

L'Homme Sage is, admittedly, a very good creation (and it was released at least a couple of years before Amouage's Jubilation XXV). While I enjoyed it every time I tested it, I always felt there was something missing in the composition - a dark twist or an earthier drydown... I really can't explain it but its almost ethereal nature failed to make it FBW for me. Also, I got the impression that I wouldn't reach for it that much. It's one of those rare scents you find yourself being constantly indecisive about buying, and then (at the last minute) abruptly changing your mind after talking yourself into taking the plunge.

L'Homme Sage is a real strange beast but definitely worth some respect around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    I heard you!

L'Homme Sage is, admittedly, a very good creation (and it was released at least a couple of years before Amouage's Jubilation XXV). While I enjoyed it every time I tested it, I always felt there was something missing in the composition - a dark twist or an earthier drydown... I really can't explain it but its almost ethereal nature failed to make it FBW for me. Also, I got the impression that I wouldn't reach for it that much. It's one of those rare scents you find yourself being constantly indecisive about buying, and then (at the last minute) abruptly changing your mind after talking yourself into taking the plunge.

L'Homme Sage is a real strange beast but definitely worth some respect around here.
    Trebor I agree with this statement, I've now sampled it 3 times in the span of 24 hours, and I keep changing my mind. I swear there is a muted element of Nostalgia in there, with this weird rubber note. I'd actually like it more if it were a bit sweeter.

I wore this on Black Friday and I was totally underwhelmed. Decent lasting power, but nothing worth the price tag. Just nothing special to me.

On the other hand, my wife did comment that I smelled good that evening when I got home.

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    I'd actually like it more if it were a bit sweeter.
    Agree on this. I do find L'Homme Sage to be an outstanding creation, but the base is just a little too dry and somewhat harsh...sometimes. I usually crave a lack of sweetness, but I think if I could make one change to this one, it would be just a touch of sweetness in the base to soften it up.

I do love it for its complexity, but it might be more wearable with a few tweaks.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Well . . . L' Homme Sage got lots of love on basenotes when it came out and the year after - but our attention span is short when it comes to what's new. It is a very good fragrance and I enjoyed wearing it for a few years. It certainly gets a thumbs up from me!

L' Homme Sage is like so many other very good niche fragrances out there that get lost in the huge wave of very good new things that come out each year. Nathan Branch described L' Homme Sage by Divine compared to HeWood by DSquare. "Divine is an independent French perfume house focused more on artistry than marketing." He goes on to compare L' Homme Sage to HeWood and to point out that He Wood outsells Divine by bucketfulls - but its a cold cruel world. Divine doesn't do what it needs to do to get the attention of the marketplace. Note the link to a nice discussion about Divines quality and lack of sales: http://www.nathanbranch.com/2008/07/...ine-lhomm.html

I've always enjoyed it on a level. Technically it seems perfect, it just lacks personality. It's kind of like a movie star, everything's together, you just don't find them very interesting.
    Oh please, if everyone around here is going to start telling the truth, I'm going to bed. - The House of Yes

I like it, but it's not something to wear year-round in Las Vegas. I find it to be something of a shape-shifter; there are times when I wear it that it definitely comes across as a spice-bomb, while other times, even within the same wearing, it has a decidedly clean aura to it.

To me, this is what distinguishes excellent fragrances from mediocre and run-of the mill ones - I enjoy the journey the scent takes me on, despite whatever the destination may be. In that regard, it has plenty of personality for me.

Conversely, when I want underwhelming, uninteresting, and overpriced, I break out my Le Labo samples. Aside from Patchouli 24, and perhaps Rose 31, they pretty much all have the charm of a cabbage patch kid sitting in the bargain bin because Xavier was printed on its forehead instead of its ass.
    The Bark Bites Back.

It actually strikes me as having lots of personality--although the word can mean such different things, I guess--and lacking discipline. It has a strange floral/fruity accord that sticks out oddly. I tire of it quickly but when I return to it I love it. I would say that L'Homme de Coeur is the better composition, the better balanced work, but I love them both in a way.

I like it too, but only reach for it in winter, when it's very cold outside. In warmer weather it's way to overpowering.

Don't really understand the comments saying it's got "no personality" etc, because if this one has no personality, I honestly don't know which frag has!

Concerning the Amouage comparison; yeah, they are somewhat alike, but I find L'Home Sage to be more 'pure', probably because it has no Iso Super E in it, and if it does, it's so little that I can't detect it.
    No guru, not method, no teacher
    Just you and I and nature

I thought it was too heavy and perfume-y.

I loved my sample of this, but I've long since used it up. This has been high atop my to-buy list for over a year, but for some reason I haven't pulled the trigger. I think part of the reason is that the larger sizes are dramatically better deals, but I don't really need 100ml (let alone 150ml) of this frag. So, as pathetic as it sounds, I haven't bought any of them.

I really liked L'Homme Sage but I'm afraid that it kind of got lost in the shuffle..

I snapped it up from the BN marketplace shortly after a kind BNer gave me a sample. I agree that it is unassuming...but I find it very wearable and comforting in cooler months. It seems very warming, without getting heavy the way Egoiste (for example) can do. My comparator fragrance was actually Bulgari Eau Parfumee au The Rouge. L'Homme Sage is not brilliant, but I still keep coming back to it, the same way I kept hanging on to The Rouge before I sold it.
    Last edited by Asha; 3rd December 2009 at 02:54 AM.

A lesser known Gem! L'Homme de Coeur seemed to be the popular one right from the beginning. Sage remained in its shadow. Strange also, that some find it too much during the summer. The incense is then beautifully present, inspiring and cooling... - Sage - a perfectly named fragrance, and among the top ten masculines of this homme. Don't expect girls to love it all that much, but I do not wear fragrance to please them anyway.
    Last edited by narcus; 3rd December 2009 at 05:31 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    A lesser known Gem! L'Homme de Coeur seemed to be the popular one right from the beginning. Sage remained in its shadow. Strange also, that some find it too much during the summer. The incense is then beautifully present, inspiring and cooling... - Sage - a perfectly named fragrance, and among the top ten masculines of this homme. Don't expect girls to love it all that much, but I do not wear fragrance to please them anyway.
    I agree, I also really enjoy L'Homme de Coeur, it's one of the best iris scents I've found. i like it because, unlike many iris scents that tend to emphasize the powdery facets of iris, LHdC, juxtaposes them with sharp juniper. Beautiful scent in it's own right, even if it does have a bit of a Creed feeling to it.