Code of Conduct

Default colognes that are too popular

Hi, I just started getting interested in cologne a few months ago and have realized that im very picky but this site has definitely helped.

I was just wondering what colognes do you think are too popular to wear and/or is it not that big of a deal b/c most people still wont be able to tell?

I think Ive tried just about all the colognes at macys, younkers and at a fragrence outlet.
    Some of the more popular colognes that Ive liked is the polo blue. armoni code, DG the one, allure, ck reaction (even though I think it probably doesnt last very long and is light) and christian dior dior homme.
    I also like Boss bottled, polo double black (Ive heard it doesnt last very long) and dunhill brown.

Anyway, I would just like your take on cologne popularity.

thanks
    God bless

Default Re: colognes that are too popular

Welcome to Basenotes sjd123,

I wouldn't really let a cologne's popularity decide whether or not you would wear a particular fragrance. Most of the general public wouldn't even be able to tell what you were wearing and would most likely only form an opinion on whether they like the fragrance your wearing or not.

Dior Homme, for example, is an absolutely fanstastic, albeit very popular, fragrance which I would not hesitate to wear in public. Armani code, on the other hand, is something you would never catch me wearing (publicly or in the privacy of my own home) but this is due to reasons other than its popularity.

The main point I think you should be considering is whether or not you like a particular fragrance and how well it meshes with your own skin chemistry.

Hope you find the resources here on Basenotes as helpful as I have!

I have no comment other than the fact that Dior Homme is the best on your list.

Quote Originally Posted by warlandsboy View Post
    Most of the general public wouldn't even be able to tell what you were wearing and would most likely only form an opinion on whether they like the fragrance your wearing or not.
    Yep. There are a very small number of scents that a significant number of folks on the street will recognize, and you didn't list any of them.

Also, I too vote for Dior Homme.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by warlandsboy View Post
    Dior Homme, for example, is an absolutely fanstastic, albeit very popular, fragrance which I would not hesitate to wear in public. Armani code, on the other hand, is something you would never catch me wearing (publicly or in the privacy of my own home) but this is due to reasons other than its popularity.
    Reverse this and it's me. Can't stand Dior Homme (I know, I know).

It is accurate, however, that most "people on the street" won't recognize what you're wearing. And if a lot of people are smelling you, you might want to tone down how much you're wearing!

I personally think you might actually meet some "normal" people who recognize Code/Dior Homme/Polo Blue. Maybe I just tend to run into other "scent geeks."

One thing I have noticed is that most of my friends have one specific scent that they wear always. If your friends are the same way, you might not want to pick that one. Because I have put on Code before and been told by a female friend "you smell like John. Why are you trying to smell like John, huh?!"

A few frags that I like and wear that is a bit common from where I'm from are
    Polo Blue
    Blue Jeans
    and bvlgari aqua.

The funny thing is, the rest of my stuff in my wardrobe are all designer stuff, but not very many people wear cologne from where I'm from, and If they did, 90% of the time it's either Cool water, AdG or Polo Sport, I'm lucky I can be "unique" even when I'm wearing stuff like Joop!, A*Men , Opium PH and D&G The One. which I am very big fans of.
    LF: CAP/LID for Creed Original vetiver and Creed Millesime Imperiale, 75ml. Please pm me.. Thanks!

Blog Entries

Usually Sephora or Macy's top sellers list would be a gauge on what's super popular. I recently purchased a bottle of YSL L'Homme because I recollected the few times I've sampled it, I really did like the scent. I was a little hesitant to make the purchase because I know 2 friends who wear it and one of them, I hang out with on a weekly basis. However, since L'Homme isn't going to be my signature scent, I'm okay with that as long as I really like it and have an extra bottle to grab when I can't decide what to wear. At least I know a popular fragrance is pretty much universally liked by the masses. Haha.

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by sjd123 View Post
    Hi, I just started getting interested in cologne a few months ago and have realized that im very picky but this site has definitely helped.

Anyway, I would just like your take on cologne popularity.

thanks
    God bless
    My take is if it smells good to you, then it is good for you. It doesn't matter who makes it or who doesn't. It's popularity or lack thereof is also meaningless. Smell, choose, then decide.

Basenotes Institution

Welcome to Basenotes !

Just wear what you like - it doesn't matter if it's a popular scent. Also yes yes yes Dior Homme is tres fabulous !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Yes, many of those are very popular, but I don't think Dior Homme is TOO popular.

Others I would stay away from (due to popularity) are the following:

Acqua di Gio
    Le Male
    Fierce
    Dirty English
    Light Blue
    Essential

I tend to like colognes that are too popular for class and work. People are never really offended and they can be conversation starters. Cute girls always know their colognes

Dior Homme is certainly gaining recognition, but it's not VERY popular. I've only smelled it once or twice.
    Last edited by Regis Philbin; 11th December 2009 at 11:58 PM.
    I have: Davidoff Relax, Dior Homme Sport, Boss Selection, Azzaro Visit, and Creed MI (will provide # on bottle for verification) available.

Looking for the following: DG The One, Himalaya, YSL L'Homme, John Varvatos (not vintage) Canali For Men or Paypal.

Well, I would say that Versace Blue Jeans and Boss Bottled, although common, are frags I like

Yet, other of the common frags I don't like or wear NOT because they are to popular, it's just because
    I don't like their frag notes, namely

ADG
    A*Men
    Hugo (the 1995 version) by Hugo Boss
    Cool Water
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 13th December 2009 at 10:26 AM.

Dependent

I've not smelled Dior Homme on anyone yet - friends, family, people I am often in close proximity with, here in Singapore. Of those I have (most often) : CoolWater, ADG, CK One, Eternity For Men, L'eau D'Issey..........and yes HUGO by HUGO BOSS - I absolutely detest this particular HUGO.

The ones i mentioned, apart from Hugo, happen to be well-liked (and worn) by myself.
    Last edited by MFJ; 13th December 2009 at 01:14 AM.

Basenotes Plus

When it comes to fragrances, being picky is a good thing. I'd pick a popular cologne only if it has been popular for at least 3-5 years, or I might just end up with a trendy cologne instead - one every other person and his dog seem to be wearing. From your list, I'd rate Dior Homme. While it has gained some popularity recently ( I smelled it twice in public over the last 2 weeks), it still has some way to go before it matches the more ubiquitous Acqua di Gio pH.

I am not someone driven by popularity. Having said that I do have some colognes that are deemed popular. I have them because I like them & and they work for me not because they are "popular".

Fragrance is a personal thing and as such it should not be the popularity or lack there of that guides your purchase. If you like it and it works for you wear it and enjoy it. I know I do.

AdG
    Cool Water
    1 million
    Armani Code
    Hugo
    D&G the One

I think when you're considering buying a new cologne you think about that kind of stuff and worry too much about it but in real life once you get it and put it on and are wearing it... people don't generally think "that smell is overused!" they think "dang, they smell good."

By trying fragrances at Macy's and Younkers, I assume you live in the Midwestern US, right?

In the Midwestern US, if you want to avoid "too popular" scents, these are the ones you want to steer clear from:
    -Acqua di Gio
    -Polo Blue
    -Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue
    -Dolce & Gabbana The One
    -Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male
    -Azzaro Chrome
    -Abercrombie & Fitch Fierce
    -Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme
    Top 5 for Winter:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Back to Black - By Kilian
    3) Musk Oud - By Kilian
    4) Encre Noire - Lalique
    5)
    M7 (vintage or Oud Absolu) - YSL
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

I won't wear Fierce because it's too played out, but I love the smell nonetheless.

Remember to avoid Hollister, Abercrombie, and American Eagle. These are the places that A LOT of people resort to for fragrances when they don't want to hunt around for fragrances. On top of that, the people who wear clothes from these stores very likely wear fragrances from these stores. Again, a lot of people!