Code of Conduct

Default Quartz pour Homme - 180 or a lesson learned

OK, I knew that one must not judge before giving a scent a full trial, but this was a slap on my face.

I always thought of this as a very common scent so I never took the trouble of giving it a thorough trial. When I received a 1/4 full bottle and decided to test it, all I got was a huge surprise for I came to realize that I was plain wrong: Quartz has a very complex structure.

In this term it is an amazing scent - I have never felt such a quantity of facets in an EdT the way I am doing now. The yuzu and the grapefruit give way to the mid notes (nutmeg, pepper, cardamom) and the rest of the base notes (leather, cedar, sandalwood, and musk) in such a fashion that you just can not relate these with the topnotes, feeling so classical that the year it was launched does not pay tribute to its character. On the other hand, its subtlety calls for attention, just don't expect sillage and longevity in Quartz for these are not part of its persona, but do not think of it as being imperceptible as in many inexpensive scents.

I do not like to relate scents to personalities, for I think that there is no correlation between these two variables, but I just can not stop thinking of Quartz as being the right choice for a very self assured man that does not have to resort to high-end brands in his purchase decisions. This feels like a scent for connoiseurs that can not be misguided by pretentiousness as per pricing or fancy branding activities.

For those into classical fragrances this is quite an unregarded and unconsidered must.
    Last edited by Pollux; 4th December 2009 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Redundancy

Default Re: Quartz pour Homme - 180 or a lesson learned

Good to hear

If I am to be honest, I'll confess to not even have heard/read about this.....until now, that is. I'll see if I can find some to sample.
    Last edited by Amit; 2nd December 2009 at 07:19 PM. Reason: typo

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

I liked the reviews of it and would've purchased a bottle "blind" but it sounded so much like Everlast Original 1910 that I thought I shouldn't bother (I've got a few EO 1910 bottles).

I genuinely think that Quartz is really a mature and understated (sadly, underrated too) frag and, at comparatively affordable prices, it can actually pull off a niche-worthy refinement.
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 2nd December 2009 at 07:48 PM.

Hillaire

I have always considered the women's version very underrated, and Molyneaux to be a very good, largely under-the-radar house. I am eager to try this one now!?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I liked the reviews of it and would've purchased a bottle "blind" but it sounded so much like Everlast Original 1910 that I thought I shouldn't bother (I've got a few EO 1910 bottles).
    Wouldn't that make it like the 30th Everlast Original clone in your eyes?
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I'm glad to see discussion of this underrated fragrance. Ken_Russell and myself are two of the three BN'ers to have reviewed it. In fact, it was due to KR's comments that I tried it. I find it to be a very classy scent. It is constructed on a spine of clove which gives it a slightly old-school, barbershop vibe. Bergamot and fruit notes lead into dry galbanum and then mossy vetiver. The spices give it warmth, yet it also has a cool and airy character. Quite a versatile scent!
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

"Barbershop" and galbanum! Now I'm really glad I didn't buy it. LOL.

Has anyone tried this recently? Or for all the gents that have, do you still have a bit of love for this one? I recently found a bottle and I'm wondering if it's worth a purchase.

Best wishes,

K.
    La vita breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Never have had any love for this one.

Quote Originally Posted by koala501 View Post
    Has anyone tried this recently? Or for all the gents that have, do you still have a bit of love for this one? I recently found a bottle and I'm wondering if it's worth a purchase.

Best wishes,

K.
    I tried it and found it worthless when finally I gave it a full wear, and that is when I changed my mind. If I were you, I'd get some samples and give it a full try before even thinking of getting a bottle, or... being so inexpensive, you might as well buy a small bottle (1 =Oz / 30 cm3) and give it away if it is not of your liking: it is a woody acquatic, thus the last notes can be ground for negative initial assesments.

Thank you Gents.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guess I know what I'll be trying tomorrow... :-)
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Well Odysseusm I may have to give it a go too!