Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Did I make a mistake that Is Unforgivable?

The day before Thanks giving I bought a 1.7 oz Unforgivable that was buy one get one half off. So I got both, and since I had a coupon the total came out to $24

The day after Thanksgiving I go to Sears and see that an Unforgivable gift set with a 1.7 oz EDT, a 2.5 deodorant, and a 2.5 shower gel. It was on sale for $18.99 I remembered I had a Sears Gift card so Bought 8 gift sets for $60 after using the gift card.

Do you think I made a good decision? I like the synthetic hybrid between Imperial and Wallstreet. They are my two favorite fragrances. Unless my nose is deceiving me, there also seems to be a hint of Cool Water. I don't know why but all of a sudden i am liking this fragrance I never thought I was even considering smelling again.

So now I have 10 bottles of 1.7 oz Unforgivable. 8 gift sets, and two bottles by themselves. All for less than $100. And I like the hbrid of my two favorite fragrance, even if it is sub par. Its fun to wear when you don't want to use up any of your favorite expensive scents, and still be wearing a fragrance reminiscent of them. I think I made a good choice, But tell me my Basenotes friends, would you have made the same decision?
    Last edited by Maz24; 3rd December 2009 at 10:02 AM.

Default Re: Did I make a mistake that Is Unforgivable?

well i just paid like 80 for a large bottle, so i think u got a great deal.. although personally i would have been happy with 1 small bottle at the price u got yours for..

i already want to get rid of my bottle and get the multi-platinum instead
    Last edited by FlyingLotus; 3rd December 2009 at 07:59 AM.

I dunno, mate. I remember another thread by your hand which centered on compulsive buying. I'd file this behaviour there.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

You'll never use that in a lifetime. Sorry, I see this as a waste of money. You don't need 5 or 10+ bottles of everything you own, especially not things that are still in production or easy to obtain.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 3rd December 2009 at 08:05 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by veuve amiot View Post
    I dunno, mate. I remember another thread by your hand which centered on compulsive buying. I'd file this behaviour there.
    That is true. But it only seems like I am compulsive with Colognes and Watches only.
    Last edited by Maz24; 3rd December 2009 at 08:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    You'll never use that in a lifetime. Sorry, I see this as a waste of money. You don't need 5 or 10+ bottles of everything you own, especially not things that are still in production or easy to obtain.
    The price was oh so tempting.
    And P Diddy stole my heart when I saw the pic of him gazing deep into my soul! J/K on that last one

Maybe you can turn it from compulsive buying to business by selling some of them and make some income.

Weren't you the guy whose wife told him not to buy any more bottles of cologne? How is that going?

Basenotes Plus

I'd have bypassed the lot and just got another bottle of M I.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonx View Post
    Maybe you can turn it from compulsive buying to business by selling some of them and make some income.
    Trust me I have been told by everyone (my wife) to do so. But I love my fragrances. Every fragrance has its own story to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Scooter View Post
    Weren't you the guy whose wife told him not to buy any more bottles of cologne? How is that going?
    It's going pretty, pretty, pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    I'd have bypassed the lot and just got another bottle of M I.
    I was thinking the same thing, I have about one dozen MI, maybe more, so I thought I would get something different, Unforgivable.
    Last edited by Maz24; 3rd December 2009 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Sorry I only own one dozen MI, not 2 dozen ( I wish!)

Quote Originally Posted by Maz24 View Post
    Trust me I have been told by everyone (my wife) to do so. But I love my fragrances. Every fragrance has its own story to me.
    Well, if it isn't creating any problems in your life, you can buy whatever you like. I will freely admit that it seems very strange to buy 10 bottles of a scent you consider sub par.

Was it a good decision? Depends what your goals are. If you are selling them, you could turn a bit of profit. If you actually think you will wear all of them and you saved yourself money finding a good deal, great. If you are buying them to fill a closet, most people would probably not consider it a good decision.

edit: oops, meant to quote the original post
    Last edited by Big_Scooter; 3rd December 2009 at 08:45 AM.

That is true. But it only seems like I am compulsive with Colognes and Watches only.
    I'm sure it's "limited" to fragrance & watches, but that's not the point, is it?

The theme in the last thread was a thinly veiled attempt to have others justify your compulsive behaviour, and when commenters expressed their doubts, defending that behaviour. Seems the same is happening in this thread. Which -again- makes me wonder what the use of asking for advice is, other than justification of your actions.

I mean, it's your money and you should do with it as you please, but I'm not going to pat you on the back for it.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

That's a lot of Unforgivable. I can see having one or two backups but 8 of them is a bit much especially since it's still in production and easily found. At least you got a great deal.

While flipping through tv last night I came across Diddy pushing his wares on HSN and he sold a ton of it at $57 plus shipping so you didn't do so bad. He actually sold out of all of the Unforgivable in one segment and so much of the rest of his stuff that they cancelled the later show cause there was nothing to sell. Amazing. A caller asked what he was wearing at the moment and he said that puts on Unforgivable first and then "tops it off" with I am King. I don't know if he's telling the truth but he's so smooth that man didn't skip a beat.
    Last edited by Futami; 3rd December 2009 at 09:21 AM.

Well you did get a great deal. And I can see the logic of having a bunch of bottles onhand for everyday, workhorse usage so that you don't have to use your high-end stuff as much. I'd say if you have the money to spare, then be happy with the deal you got and spray liberally

Well, do you really have a serious shortage of the premium stuff, so that you need to use sub-premium stuff in very, very large quantities? Is it extremely rare that you can afford a premium bottle?

From the other posts in this thread, it sounds like the purchase of the premium stuff is not a rare occasion. So, no, I wouldn't have made this purchase. I'd recommend gifting, donating, or selling most of it away.

From one compulsive buyer to another: you've got a problem, bro'.
    You're buying it, not because you really really like the perfume or really need it (it's way too much to ever use) or for the explicit purpose of reselling it at a profit, but entirely for the short-lived kick of having made a great deal. Call it a variation of ebayitis. If it makes you feel better: your affliction IS necessary to keep consumer capitalism from collapsing.
    Last edited by the_good_life; 3rd December 2009 at 10:09 AM.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Agree 100%.

It's only a good deal if you use it!

Unless you are using it as a piece of artwork on display.

Quote Originally Posted by Djamison66 View Post
    Well you did get a great deal. And I can see the logic of having a bunch of bottles onhand for everyday, workhorse usage so that you don't have to use your high-end stuff as much. I'd say if you have the money to spare, then be happy with the deal you got and spray liberally
    thank you my friend

I have been using it almost everyday and enjoying the hell out of it. I have used the gift set as well. The smell of Imperial somehow always puts me in a good mood. This puts me in a good mood similar to wearing MI. So basically it uplifts me for a fraction of the price of Imperial.

Wow. That's really excessive.

Just because you could, doesn't mean you should.
    Good deal aside, you've given in to your compulsion again BIG TIME, and that's worrying. I personally would not stock up on a single scent like that unless it was being discontinued.

Ultimately you can do the heck what you want, but Im kinda glad you're not managing my finances.

I can't stand Sean Jean/P Diddy. I wouldn't even buy one of those.

But if you like it, that's cool. You wear what you like right? I probably would have only bought one bottle though, unless I either planned to sell the rest and make a profit or smell like Unforgivable for the rest of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by L'aventurier View Post
    I can't stand Sean Jean/P Diddy. I wouldn't even buy one of those.

But if you like it, that's cool. You wear what you like right? I probably would have only bought one bottle though, unless I either planned to sell the rest and make a profit or smell like Unforgivable for the rest of my life.
    There are worse smells than Unforgivable to smell like for the rest of my life. But no, I won't smell like it all the time. Just during my down time.

Well, compulsive buying is only a problem if you don't have money left to save on the bank.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

If I were you, I might have done the same thing, but then sold most of them. There are some scents that I'd like to have backups due to their good price, but always stop because the money can be spent on new scents, instead.

How many bottles of Unforgivable have you emptied? Who knows? Maybe you will get through them.

To me, Unforgivable was less interesting than MI, so it wasn't an option.

Yes, it is unforgivable! What were you thinking!
    Choose to believe, choose joy.
    Scelga di credere, scelga la gioia.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

And here I thought you're buying all those as X'mas gifts for your friends... On a more positive note, this would be a good time to literally soak yourself in a bathtub of Unforgivable...

You made P. Diddy (or whatever he's called now) an even richer man.

That's Unforgivable
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

The day before Thanks giving I bought a 1.7 oz Unforgivable that was buy one get one half off. So I got both, and since I had a coupon the total came out to $24

The day after Thanksgiving I go to Sears and see that an Unforgivable gift set with a 1.7 oz EDT, a 2.5 deodorant, and a 2.5 shower gel. It was on sale for $18.99 I remembered I had a Sears Gift card so Bought 8 gift sets for $60 after using the gift card.

Do you think I made a good decision? I like the synthetic hybrid between Imperial and Wallstreet. They are my two favorite fragrances. Unless my nose is deceiving me, there also seems to be a hint of Cool Water. I don't know why but all of a sudden i am liking this fragrance I never thought I was even considering smelling again.

So now I have 10 bottles of 1.7 oz Unforgivable. 8 gift sets, and two bottles by themselves. All for less than $100. And I like the hbrid of my two favorite fragrance, even if it is sub par. Its fun to wear when you don't want to use up any of your favorite expensive scents, and still be wearing a fragrance reminiscent of them. I think I made a good choice, But tell me my Basenotes friends, would you have made the same decision?
    The above bolded is where I laughed. It is so random and funny at the same time. Non-chalant..."Great deal so I picked up 1 or 8 of them.". I think overkill. I can see you walking around with the boxes stacked.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

As on the other thread, I'm going to echo others' sentiments on this situation as well. While I agree, that a problem only truly becomes a problem when it begins interfering with your life or your finances, if you can afford these splurges then perhaps it doesn't become an immidiate issue. However, I feel that it has become quite clear with this thread and the other similar one, that you DO have a problem, that could perhaps be playing itself out in other ways in which you aren't sharing with us. Trust me, coming from someone with clinically diagnosed Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, I understand how difficultit can be when you have Compulsions, but you need to accept that you DO have them, and get them treated, and Maz, this IS a compulsion, it's simply not normal to need to purchase an obscene amount of something, that you clearly won't use or even particularly like, and then proceed to seek approval for said actions.

Before you say that you really do enjoy and need them, pay attention to all of your posts (not just in this thread) regarding Unforgivable, and notice the gradual change in your opinion on it once you purchased this mass amount of bottles, its reflective of the natural need to rationalize the compulsion. My friend, trust me, you need to STOP, and just take a deep breath, and look at your wardrobe. Look at the multiple bottles, and ask yourself "Am I ever going to even touch 75% of these in my life. Am I going to gift them or sell them off?" If the answer is no to either of those, you need to seek some help.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 3rd December 2009 at 02:36 PM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    As on the other thread, I'm going to echo others' sentiments on this situation as well. While I agree, that a problem only truly becomes a problem when it begins interfering with your life or your finances, if you can afford these splurges then perhaps it doesn't become an immidiate issue. However, I feel that it has become quite clear with this thread and the other similar one, that you DO have a problem, that could perhaps be playing itself out in other ways in which you aren't sharing with us. Trust me, coming from someone with clinically diagnosed Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, I understand how difficult and can be when you have Compulsions, but you need to accept that you DO have them, and get them treated, and Maz, this IS a compulsion, it's simply not normal to need to purchase an obscene amount of something, that you clearly won't use or even particularly like, and then proceed to seek approval for said actions.

Before you say that you really do enjoy and need them, pay attention to all of your posts (not just in this thread) regarding Unforgivable, and notice the gradual change in your opinion on it once you purchased this mass amount of bottles, its reflective of the natural need to rationalize the compulsion. My friend, trust me, you need to STOP, and just take a deep breath, and look at your wardrobe. Look at the multiple bottles, and ask yourself "Am I ever going to even touch 75% of these in my life. Am I going to gift them or sell them off?" If the answer is no to either of those, you need to seek some help.
    Excellent post!

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    And here I thought you're buying all those as X'mas gifts for your friends... On a more positive note, this would be a good time to literally soak yourself in a bathtub of Unforgivable...
    Exactly what I thought while I was reading the first post.
    "Cool guy, giving frags for Xmas"
    ...then found out you're gonna use them all yourself? Whoa
    ...just my two cents, if I had that many bottles of one scent it would spare me the hassle of thinking of something to give my Dad, the boss, my client-friends...Shopping buzz? Check,done and over with. Saved me a whole lot of time and effort to think of gifts too? Check, check and another check (okay...to whom should I give out these other bottles to...)

But tell me my Basenotes friends, would you have made the same decision?
    In short, no, I would not have made the same decision.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by surreality View Post
    In short, no, I would not have made the same decision.
    +1. Next . . .

I have been using it almost everyday and enjoying the hell out of it. I have used the gift set as well. The smell of Imperial somehow always puts me in a good mood. This puts me in a good mood similar to wearing MI. So basically it uplifts me for a fraction of the price of Imperial.

You know what might also put you in a good mood? Returning all those gift sets you compulsively bought and donate the money you get back to a nice charity for the holiday season.

Just sayin'

So now I have 10 bottles of 1.7 oz Unforgivable. 8 gift sets, and two bottles by themselves. All for less than $100.
    When calculating cost, you should consider the value of the gift card as cash.

I calculate over $175 + tax.

How many of your frags have similar stockpiles to back them up?

Some of you guys seem to have missed the post where he said he has twelve bottles of Millisime Imperial. He bought 10 bottles of a fragrance he doesn't seem to particularly like based on the fact that he doesn't want to waste his MI, which he has 12 bottles of.

Basenotes Plus

Yes, you got a good deal. Now please consider immediately donating all those gift sets to a charity that gives out Christmas gifts People are very generous with giving toys for younger kids but these charities are usually in desperate need of gifts for the older teenagers.

Stuff you don't need at a price you can't refuse...

Flip on Ebay or donate to charity, or sell for cheap to those on Basenotes starting out... It's not a huge amount of money and you got a lot, but yes, it does seem a little excessive
    NEW SPLITS - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven and Beyond Love (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

If I get a great deal on frags I enjoy, I will often buy a couple of back ups. As long as you have the room to store them! LOL. In any case, I think the crucial thing is to be fairly certain that you really do like the frag, and won't get bored by it. And in some cases, you can get lucky and it becomes discontinued, leaving you with several items to sell on ebay for a lot more than you bought them for. I don't see a huge downside here, unless you are buying several backups of expensive niche frags for a modest discount.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 3rd December 2009 at 08:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Scooter View Post
    How many of your frags have similar stockpiles to back them up?

Some of you guys seem to have missed the post where he said he has twelve bottles of Millisime Imperial. He bought 10 bottles of a fragrance he doesn't seem to particularly like based on the fact that he doesn't want to waste his MI, which he has 12 bottles of.
    The only reason why we don't bring it up, I'm assuming for those of us that have been around a while, is because Maz has a history with MULTIPLE back up bottles of scents he enjoys. I think at one point he had close to 2 dozen MIs, so at this point it doesn't bare repeating.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

"Did I make a mistake that Is Unforgivable?" Yes.

"would you have made the same decision?" Absolutely not.

But history shows this feedback clearly doesn't matter to you so what's the point of even bringing it up?

I agree with Maz about unforgivable being somewhere between Wall St. and MI, it's got good topnotes especially. The Multi-Platinum Version of Unforgivable is actually better than Wall Street imo (less blaring geraniol and givaudan orange), and closer to MI than Wall street is. I like the regular Unforgivable, but the Multi-Platinum version isn't just more concentrated, it's far better.
    You'll never use that in a lifetime. Sorry, I see this as a waste of money. You don't need 5 or 10+ bottles of everything you own
    Well, with a light citrus scent like Unforgivable, one can go thru alot fairly quickly, especially if you reapply throughout the day.

especially not things that are still in production or easy to obtain.
    Well, that's true, unless it's a total bargain.

you should try multi-platinum.
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Yeah, that's....Wow. There aren't many options there.

Option 1: This is a reasonable amount considering your usage. Which means you wear WAY too much fragrance and are choking us all to death.

Option 2: You have serious hoarding issues. Sell some on ebay, give some as gifts, ease up. And...maybe get some help. There is something that seems a bit off about your tone, it's like you want someone to tell you it's OK, it's nothing to worry about...but methinks you doth protest too much.

I normally try not to jump in a judge like this, but you did ask.....
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

*~~________________________________________~~*

^To put all that in perspective I own both MI (12oz for under $240) and Multi-Platinum (7.5oz for under $65), and each time I wear MI, it's about 12-14 sprays, each time it's multi-platinum, it's about the same. I probably used 1oz of MI and .5oz of multi-platinum just this summer alone.

It's not sables he's hoarding, although a dozen bottles of unforgivable and MI seems excessive even if he's as heavy handed as me.

Maz, you should contact A&E and see if they can get a camera crew out to you right away.

Great show, but unlike sister show Intervention, it never seems to "take".

I'd like a fragrance named Unforgiven. Eastwood-power, yeah! ;-)

That's... a lot. I have one backup bottle for A*Men Pure Malt because it will be discontinued and that's it. To be honest, I would never even buy ONE bottle of a fragrance I thought was "alright". There's a lot of frags that I think are alright, I only buy the ones that I thoroughly enjoy. I'd send them off for charity or as gifts for friends

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    I agree with Maz about unforgivable being somewhere between Wall St. and MI, it's got good topnotes especially. The Multi-Platinum Version of Unforgivable is actually better than Wall Street imo (less blaring geraniol and givaudan orange), and closer to MI than Wall street is. I like the regular Unforgivable, but the Multi-Platinum version isn't just more concentrated, it's far better.
    Well, with a light citrus scent like Unforgivable, one can go thru alot fairly quickly, especially if you reapply throughout the day. .
    Reapply I do! Its fun to always enjoy the combination of my favorite fragrances at the same time. Which Unforgivable does for me. And I do enjoy smelling good

Has anyone tried the third flanker Unforgivable Night yet?

^Or unforgivable Eau fraiche

Quote Originally Posted by dmarino67 View Post
    Has anyone tried the third flanker Unforgivable Night yet?
    Yeah it's good. The top note however has a lot more citrus to it. It smells similar to Unforgivable, but with a nice twist.

Thanks. I'll check it out.

Unforgivable has a horrible shelf life, so I think you definitely made a mistake. Plus it lasts all of 2 hours, and thats with 10+ sprays, so I'm thinking I either got an old bottle or its just weak stuff.

I would sell a few of them on Ebay or give half away as Christmas presents, no one needs that much of Unforgivable.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Eight bottles of Unforgivable should be good enough to not waste any of your twelve bottles of MI...
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Wow. That's really excessive.

Just because you could, doesn't mean you should.
    Good deal aside, you've given in to your compulsion again BIG TIME, and that's worrying. I personally would not stock up on a single scent like that unless it was being discontinued.

Ultimately you can do the heck what you want, but Im kinda glad you're not managing my finances.
    I have to agree. Not only was this compulsive but it was for a fragrance that I wouldn't take if it were free.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony87 View Post
    Unforgivable has a horrible shelf life, so I think you definitely made a mistake.
    +1

Sell all but two of them asap.