Code of Conduct

Default Acqua di Gio...sign of the times...saving our pennies...

In tough economic times, when our pocketbooks are empty, we are faced with drastic changes in behaviour when it comes to our favourite scents.

The Comte d'Orsay was a compulsive gambler, as well as an avid patron of high-end tailors' establishments and perfume houses, ballet/opera subscriptions and mistresses. After 1838, when he was--shall we say--involved in a "division of finances" with his wife, he was forced to take stock of his "needs" versus "wants." (His beautiful Countess then set her aims on the Continent, netting a Crown Prince for a lover in Paris.) He curtailed [some of] his expenses. This happens quite naturally when you are forced to stay indoors during daylight hours to avoid being hauled into debtors' prison by one's coattails. If memory serves, he put up some of his collection of silver- and gold-headed canes as a security for a loan. A true dandy to the end. Only working as a government civil servant saved him.

Now the global economic climate has forced many of us to limit our perfume expenditures or change the way in which we get our nose fix of scent.

For those reduced in circumstances, AdG is now offered in a "knockoff" brand as G Eau by Belcam, a cosmetics company dealing in smell-alike scents. You can buy 3.4 oz for less than $10.00 USD.

http://www.belcamshop.com/products/f9709005aq
    Last edited by Primrose; 3rd December 2009 at 03:57 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Default Re: Acqua di Gio...sign of the times...saving our pennies...

They already have Designer and Celebrity scents. Now they need to add some Niche.

I have yet to find a company that makes smell-alikes that are any good, or even close to what they are supposed to smell like. So how's Belcam? Are they any good?
    Current Wardrobe (in no particular odor, HAHA!):

Creed Green Irish Tweed, Creed Silver Mountain Water, Creed Himalaya, Creed Tabarome, Aramis Havana, Bond No.9 Central Park, Trussardi Inside, Fahrenheit Absolute, Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit De L'Homme, Guerlain L'Instant Homme, David Beckham Signature, Cartier Declaration Essence, Azzaro Visit, Azzaro Silver-Black, Azzaro Pure Vetiver, Dunhill X-Centric, Perry Ellis Reserve, Armani Attitude, Armani Mania, Bvlgari Aqva, Jacomo Paradox Green, Canali Summer Night, Kouros Cologne Sport, Realm Men, Lolita Lempicka Au Masculine, St. Patrick, Cuba (Red, Green, Gold, Black, Grey, Brown, Maya), Opium Pour Homme EDP, Banana Republic Cordovan, Amouage Epic Man, J. Peterman 1902, Bogart City Tower.

Quote Originally Posted by Galleddrim View Post
    I have yet to find a company that makes smell-alikes that are any good, or even close to what they are supposed to smell like. So how's Belcam? Are they any good?
    +1. And most importantly, I know what I'm wearing, even if nobody else does. That feeling/emotion, is really most of what I'm paying for when I buy a frag. I want to feel like a million bucks for only three hundred (), not feel like ten...
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Smell alikes can be better. For example, I much prefer Lomani over Drakkar Noir. Not that I'm in love with either of them, but just to make a point that Lomani (the smell-alike) smells better than what I think it tries to imitate! :P
    Q: How do you make a feminine fragrance masculine?
    A: Add 'Pour Homme' to the bottle
    - Pierre Bourdon

I tried some http://www.fmworld.com/ perfumes like Azzaro Chrome & Silver Black, AdG, Ultraviolet woman, YSL L'homme, Le male and I can't see any big difference. Top notes are stronger, drydown is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by seemon View Post
    I tried some http://www.fmworld.com/ perfumes like Azzaro Chrome & Silver Black, AdG, Ultraviolet woman, YSL L'homme, Le male and I can't see any big difference. Top notes are stronger, drydown is the same.
    That's a pretty vague review...
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I got a new 3.4 oz bottle of AdG on eBay for $30 shipped, which is a good deal to me. Though I have refined my tastes over time with scents like Chanel pour Monsieur, vintage Farina, and others, I still find AdG a workable scent when applied with moderation.

I love good quality knock offs! There is one of Cool Water that smells btter than the original. And another one is quite close to the vintage version of Paco Rabane.

I only wish they would produce knock offs of discontinued scents (Rochas Macassar, Globe, or Hermes Bel Ami, for example), or niche knock offs.

I noticed that they also have Ed Hardy and Angel smell-alikes on the Belcam website.

But what shocked me is that even their website is a designer impostor... Belcam's website looks like a knockoff of Sephora.com, right down to the black and white colors and eerily similar trade dress. I thought "wait a minute, that looks familiar".
    Top 5 for Late Summer:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Aventus - Creed
    3) Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    4) L'Humaniste - Frapin
    5) Millesime Imperial - Creed

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

The Belcam brand tends to have better smell-alikes.

I am not a scent snob and have Hermes as well as Avon.

I have tried the Belcam versions of CK Summer, Polo, SJP Lovely, Paris Hilton and Euphoria. Not bad at all.

Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310 View Post
    I noticed that they also have Ed Hardy and Angel smell-alikes on the Belcam website.

But what shocked me is that even their website is a designer impostor... Belcam's website looks like a knockoff of Sephora.com, right down to the black and white colors and eerily similar trade dress. I thought "wait a minute, that looks familiar".
    Good observation. I did not notice that. They must have revamped their site to look more trendy.
    Last edited by Primrose; 3rd December 2009 at 11:08 PM.