Code of Conduct

Default Sea, ocean, and pine. Need help finding cologne.

Hello, I am looking for a cologne that will remind me of the sea or ocean in addition to pine growing next to the beach. I grew up near the Baltic Sea and need to find a fragrance that resembles the beach next to pine forest there. Also, I like fir balsam alot. I am looking for raw salty aquatic, not the fruity or sweet ones. Also if you have any suggestions about sea scented fragrance that does not incorporate the pine or fir balsam, please let me know too. Thank you for your help.
    Last edited by greatchurn; 3rd December 2009 at 09:15 PM.

Default Re: Sea, ocean, and pine. Need hel[ finding cologne.

Ohhhhhhhhhh you need to get Chevignon for Men (1992).

It does have a very prominent piney, woody nature, and something about it also reminds me of being on a kind of dry, desolate shoreline. I can't place the note(s) that give this effect, but it's there.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 3rd December 2009 at 09:20 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Default Re: Sea, ocean, and pine. Need help finding cologne.

Good question.
    There should be a scent with this combo all prominent.
    However, if you don't mind the Pine being rather subtle:
    EROLFA

Top: Ozone, Sea Salt, Marine Algae, Seaweed, Morrocan Tangerine, Lemon, Bergamot, Orange, Mandarin, Lime
    Heart: Violet, Honeydew melon, Cyclamen, Jasmine, Ginger, Coriander, pepper, Caesarean Basil, Rosemary, Cumin, Pine
    Base: Cedar, Sandalwood, Musk, Ambergris

A heavy application of Erolfa will reveal it to you on the drydown, without much sweetness as heavy applications can tend to produce too much sweetness on many aquatic scents.

New west aramis is the perfect fit for you. It embodies all the qualities you are looking for, its readily availabel at macys ulta and bloomies

L'Eau Bleue D'Issey pour Homme

May be missing some of the sea you are looking for though

Olivier Durbano's Turquoise - here is a blog I wrote on this one!

See my BN review of Fragonard's Cyprien -- that may be exactly what you are looking for.
    I like the combination you outline.
    And I am interested in some of the suggestions you have received.
    There is another scent I've tried, I'll have to keep thinking about it and try and remember.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

I am only posting to second both Aramis New West and L' Eau Bleu d' Issey. I do not have your imagery of the real ocean and pine scent but both these perfumes make me think of exactly this.

Profumum's Acqua di Sale for a salty marine scent with cedar.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Great suggestions. If the emphasis is on pine and forest floor smells, Yatagan reminds me of the smell of the small island off the coast of British Colombia where I grew up. The forest smells are more dominent in Yatagan but I get a definite salt note.

Sur la Plage

For a marine scent - Calypso Christiane Celle Marine
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I love the sound of marine and pine together. I'm glad you posted, and I'll watch this thread. I think these three fragrances are standout salt air/marine choices. They have woods, but not pine:

Heeley Sel Marin: Lemon, Bergamot, Sea Salt, Seaweed. Vetiver, Birch, Cedar

Profumum Acqua di Sale: "Aroma of salt on the skin", Myrtle, Cedarwood, Marine Algae

il Profumo Aria di Mare: Ocean Notes, Bamboo Stalk, Java Tea Leaves, Floral Herbaceous Notes, Sweet Water Mint, Yellow Wild Broom, Acacia Flowers, Sand White Lily, Yellow Rose, Tiare, Musk

The il Profumo is my favorite of the three, but they're all great IMO!
    Last edited by Haunani; 4th December 2009 at 01:37 AM.

yatagan

This thread really makes me want to try New West. It sounds fantastic, hopefully I can find some locally to test.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Laura Tonatto - Oltre

It has what you're looking for, pine and all!

http://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/L...ltre-7488.html
    Last edited by KMF; 4th December 2009 at 06:03 PM.

If an actual pine note isn't the top priority, I would highly recommend Vetiver by Annick Goutal. It's a very green, dry and earthy vetiver, but with a very unique "salt" undertone which, to my nose, literally smells like ocean salt air. It's an extraordinary fragrance, and no other fragrance I've smelled captures the smell of nature and ocean air as well as this one.

Oh good grief, 17 posts into to this and I'm going to be the first one to shove Kenzo Pour Homme across the bar? Of course you'll want to track down the original bottle, the one with bas relief bamboo shoots and leaves on it but the smooth blue bottle will do in a pinch.

I truly second Chevignon.

Even the slightly lighter "Best of Chevignon" or the crisp and fresh, yet not sweet, somehow even sharp and edgy notes in Mugler Cologne might work.

You might want to try Roots for Him by Roots. It would seem like a fairly good match.

Bvlgari Aqua, Kenzo PH...no pine though...

No pine, but Bulgari Aqua and Kenzo pour Homme are good designer picks for a salty, marshy aquatic.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by noirwest View Post
    Oh good grief, 17 posts into to this and I'm going to be the first one to shove Kenzo Pour Homme across the bar?...
    My thoughts till i got to this post. To my nose the most realistic yet pleasant smell of the kind of sea we want to be around.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

+1 for Profumum Aqua di Sale, or as an alternative, Farmacia SS Hyle.

Another choice would be the great sel de vetiver by the different company, celine ellena did an excellent job on the, salty, hearty vertiver..I dont know whether there is pine in it but certainly worth a try.

Yatagan was my first thought but I also find something marine in Oscar for Men.
    I offer you perfume,
    More for its pleasure than for yours;
    You perfume perfume.

--Anonymous Ancient Greek Love Lyric

Yachting by Pascal Morabito

Basenotes Institution

New West? I smell no pine in that one. Nice oceanic/salty aquatic but I don't remember woods in that one...
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    New West? I smell no pine in that one. Nice oceanic/salty aquatic but I don't remember woods in that one...
    It's not woods, it is rather the smell of conifer needles when one rubs them between fingers. Definately sweeter and more synthetic than L' Eau Bleu d' Issey from which I get the exact same vibe.