Code of Conduct

Default What cold weather frag can I get past my Citrus obssesed wife?

This might be mission impossible, but here goes....

I want to get a 'warming' fragrance to wear in the British winter (its already too bloody cold here). However, I dont want to alienate my wife (she will literally stay away from me if I wearing something she doesn't like, and I'm a hugger ).

To give you an idea of what she does like (on me):

The only fragrance I already owned that interested her when we first met was CK One
    The first birthday present she bought me was Armani Eau pour Homme
    Every time we have been in Duty Free or one of the big department stores in London, she gets me to try quite similar scents. So far, Blenheim Bouquet, Eau Sauvage, one of the AdP Colonia flankers (cannot remember which, but the topnotes reminded me of Wine Gums!), Eau de Cartier, Ormonde Jayne Zizan, Clinique Happy. The only time she even slightly deviated from these types of scents, she got me to try Terre d'Hermes !

So far, the only warming fragrance she has liked on me is Ambre Narguile, which I cant really justify the price of. She did say yes to Body Kouros first time I tried it, but then said no second time (it 'gave her a headache'... I will just have to wear it on workdays only and hope it has weakened enough by the time I come home!).

So has anyone got a suggestion for a fragrance that has at least top notes that will appeal to this citrus obsession, but will be warming for me. To give you an idea of what I like, I think BK is perfect for me - I like how the 'baking spices' kind of wraps around you like a scarf, and the sweetness is kept in check by the medicinal smells. Like a Patisserie and a Pharmacy next door to each other

Andy
    Last edited by andym72; 3rd December 2009 at 10:22 PM.

Default Re: What cold weather frag can I get past my Citrus obssesed wife?

Citrus fresh scent that lasts i nthe winter air???
    Silver Mountain Water

A warmer/spicier citrus-fresh scent that lasts in & cuts thru winter air?
    CARON L'Anarchiste seems like it might fit perfectly, if you like baking spices (mace and cinnamon), and like apples and citrus (very natural apple-like, no candy here)
    Bowling Green is a spicier, more citrusy Armani PH with less oakmoss, since you like Armani PH.
    Monsieur balmain even has a very dry, yet warm woody base, and a long-lastin citrus top.
    A&F FIERCE is warm, and somewhat citrusy/fresh.

Also, if those don't seem classy enough...
    I can think of 2 spicy/citrus scents that are not as cut-thru as SMW, but they're definitely both warmer/spicier, yet still citrus, and with fairly good longevity in the cold, thanks to tactful blending of natural&synthetic citrus notes, and each with very distinct spice notes...

Maitre's Pour Le Jeune
    Maitre Fraiche Badiane

L'Artisan's house seems to be screaming for a warm/spicy citrus like what you desribe

Allure Homme by Chanel

smeller

I don't know about you, but I believe she will love Boucheron pour Homme.

Jubillation XXV - citrus for her, incense for you.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Burberry London Special Edition

Here are the notes:
    http://www.nstperfume.com/2008/09/15...ew-fragrances/

V&R Antidote

A nice citrus opening over a very light oriental base.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Well, I *was* going to suggest T d'H - what was wrong with that ?

Just some ideas - I'd probably lean towards the Boucheron myself.

Aramis Life by Aramis
    Tuscan Soul by Ferragamo
    Artisan by John Varvatos
    Oranger Alhambra by Armani (the Prive collection)
    Boucheron pour Homme by Boucheron

L'Instant de Guerlain

It smells like lemoney cocoa
    Sales thread here

I second Bourcheron Pour Homme. I guess it is a citrus scent, but to me it never felt like any other citrus scents.

Rich. Strong. I think it would be great in cold weather.

Hillaire

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    V&R Antidote

A nice citrus opening over a very light oriental base.
    +1

Maitre Secrete Melange is a warm, spicy orange scent, nice in winter.

Hillaire

Adding ...

Roadster by Cartier

Dolce & Gabbana PH

Mandarine Mandarin
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Hollister Socal
    CK Euphoria
    sb[]p

Maybe read the reviews for New York by Parfums de Nicolai, and see what you think!

I would very highly recommend Bowling Green by Geoffrey Beene. It has as nice a citrus opening as any fragrance that I have ever smelled, yet it warms up wonderfully with near perfect sillage and exceptional longevity. I work with mostly females, and I have received more compliments from Bowling Green than from any other fragrance I wear at work. It works well in all seasons, and even though it is discontinued, it is fairly easy to find (and cheap too!).

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

She's into citrus top notes, eh? Unfortunately, many women are, esp when they subscribe to traditional outdated views about men colognes.

While your desire to please your SO is commendable, it's cramping your style and limits your options. And picking similar scents is only going to perpetuate this problem. Maybe ask for her opinions on drydowns that she likes and take it from there, since top notes seldom last beyond 15 minutes anyway. With new scents, apply lightly and let her get used to the subtle differences. Once she's grown accustomed, she might be more open to your trying out different genres, incl. Body Kouros which you like.

Wow, lots of options here that I haven't tried yet, thank you all. Keep 'em coming!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Rudi View Post
    Well, I *was* going to suggest T d'H - what was wrong with that ?
    I dont think there is anything wrong with TdH, as its incredibly popular here. No, its just a personal taste thing, I dont enjoy it. Sometimes I cant even tolerate it, first time my wife asked me to smell a tester strip of it, I flinched - I could smell something rotten in it, it triggered my disgust reflex And then I was really confused as she went on sniffing from the same piece of paper with this look of euphoria on her face

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Maybe ask for her opinions on drydowns that she likes and take it from there, since top notes seldom last beyond 15 minutes anyway.
    Good point. I'm also going to have to work out what basenotes she likes on me, because like I mentioned on the other thread I started, I find most of her frags have lots of patchouli in the base (Eau du Soir, Baiser de Dragon, Aromatics Elixir), and I seem to be sensitive to that note. But she doesn't seem to like anything that has a strong patchouli basenote on me. She seems to like sweet 'amber' bases (the labdanum, benzoin thing), which is good because I do too.

But you are right, she is cramping my style!

Andy
    Last edited by andym72; 4th December 2009 at 09:43 AM.

CK Obsession for men. Citrusy (at least top notes) but warm, excellent for cold days.

Boucheron is the one. But I agree you need some spicy oriental liberation . Perhaps you could use some of your wife's perfumes, she should like those
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

You can fool her with this:

AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

Do you guys think I could get away with Hanae Mori? The reviews mention Lemon Gumdrops....

I think that Lux by Mona di Orio would be very alluring to her, but I don’t think that its price would be very alluring to you.
    “As if everyone, all over the world, had his daily visually artistic task; the task of being an image for others.” Peter Handke

HM was one of the ones I was going to suggest.. lemony chocolate. Covet is similar IMO, but greener. Also Gucci edp (original brown juice) is quite unisex and a dark orange/vanilla with a hint of cumin... one of my favorites. Have you tried Habit Rouge? Caron's L'Anarchiste might be ideal, but I think of it more as autumnal than great for winter.
    I offer you perfume,
    More for its pleasure than for yours;
    You perfume perfume.

--Anonymous Ancient Greek Love Lyric

Creed Himilaya. I haven't worn it much,,,just samples..but am wearing it now. I think it is great in cold weather and though it isn't close to a citrus there is an unobtrusive goodness to it that shouldn't offend.

And this may be way off but you might get by with Bulgari Aqua. It has a "peppery" and spice feel to it that I think can be worn in winter but it still has its aquatic nature that makes it a summer and spring scent.

these don't have the sitrus to get you by her but I just wanted to throw out maybe some things that could pass and have a "sunnier" side too.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 4th December 2009 at 02:46 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Another vote for PdN New York.

For something less formal but still cirtusy and warm with a sweet, vanilla/amber base, try Geir.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by andym72 View Post
    ...I dont think there is anything wrong with TdH, as its incredibly popular here. No, its just a personal taste thing, I dont enjoy it. Sometimes I cant even tolerate it, first time my wife asked me to smell a tester strip of it, I flinched - I could smell something rotten in it, it triggered my disgust reflex And then I was really confused as she went on sniffing from the same piece of paper with this look of euphoria on her face ....But you are right, she is cramping my style!...
    I totally understand you. TdH is the only perfume ever that has given me a headache. To be more exact: I developed the headache in response to that high pitched, slightly piercing note that I couldn't bear for more than 30 minutes. That's as i remember how it happened.

Partnerships and perfume: that can be a problem when both feel fairly strongly about their own preferences and dislikes. We love to be complimented, not criticized for what we are wearing. And it does happen that ones own perfumes are a little more important than those of the partner. We are always ready to compromise, of course, and that's very healthy. But banning total groups of smells, or accepting only a certain kind ...? I don't think I would want to adjust to that. Less than this I would want to be adjusted.

I would try and explain that I cannot find enough 'warmth' in smells that are built around lemon and orange, and that my constant craving for it is just one (important) aspect of my personality. Personality (character) only comes in whole units - it's still a biological fact in 2009.
    Last edited by narcus; 4th December 2009 at 04:21 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Miller Harris Cuir d'Oranger--citrus over leathery oakmoss base
    Guerlain Habit Rouge EDC--citrus over woody vanilla-benzoin base
    Guerlain Eau de Shalimar--citrus throughout, vanilla base, wearable by men
    Guerlain Mitsouko EDP--bergamot top, classic chypre easily worn by men
    Dior Diorella--power-up from Eau Sauvage, very citrussy, floral chypre base, can be worn by men
    Bois 1920 Sandalo e The--lemony top notes over vanilla and benzoin with very light wood
    Guerlain Sous le Vent--bergamot and mixed citruses over moss and labdanum base, classic chypre that is more "spare" than Mitsouko
    Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta--citrus cologne in the first half, sweet, resinous and herbal fougere in the second half
    Last edited by Asha; 4th December 2009 at 04:25 PM.

You need citrus-vanillas:

Guerlains Habit Rouge EDC or Shalimar EDT or the Eau de Shalimar
    Creeds Sublime Vanille
    L'Artisan Vanilia
    -

Chanel pour Monseiur could work

My sotd happens to be Escada Pour Homme, and it's a wonderful fragrance for cold weather. You get citrus, cognac, spice, wood, musk... It's an allround crowd pleaser at a great price.

Quote Originally Posted by rinosaur View Post
    Chanel pour Monseiur could work
    +1 Chanel PM or PMC

Did anyone mention Guerlian Coriolian?

It has a fairly long lasting citrus opening (lemon leaves and bergamot). followed by a great dry down of juniper, patchouli, coriander, nutmeg, absinthe.

On me the citrus lasts longer than most citrus top notes.

It's been discontinued, but easy to find online. According to the BN directory, it has been relaunched as L'Ame d'un Heros.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

Quote Originally Posted by peevish_yolk View Post
    I think that Lux by Mona di Orio would be very alluring to her, but I don’t think that its price would be very alluring to you.
    Completely agree.

Lux is a brilliant fragrance -- pity about the pricing though.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Versace's Versus Uomo ?

Goutal Eau de Sud?

what about the new Burberry -the beat- ...??? citrus introduction and then a very woody-spicy base, in contrast is fresh and warm at the same time.

If anyone is wondering why I haven't been responding.... it is because I decided to just let everyone suggest things, without me stepping in and saying 'no, that one is no good' or whatever. I'm just going to try as many of these suggestions as I can. Some of them are going to be tricky to test before buying because they are not sold in stores in the UK, but there have been so many great suggestions that I am going to be busy for weeks! Many thanks again everyone.

Andy

Hanae Mori - lemony chocolate but very very sweet
    Rochas Man - I found it similar to Body Kouros in a way, not the same notes but a similar result without the nauseating aspects of BK
    Terre D'Hermes - You said she liked it.
    Tommy Bahama
    D&G
    Escada PH
    Jaipur
    Last edited by makeitrainharder; 6th December 2009 at 05:08 PM.