Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Which "female" scents do you guys wear in public, and in private?

While I tend to favor Powerhouse 1980s and 1970s fragrances, there are many fragrances which cross the line both ways. I will occasionally spray on only three of my wife's many fragrances, all of which I enjoy ----> Fendi EDT, Hugo Boss Deep Red, and Sarah Jessica Parker's Covet. Fendi and Deep Red are the only two I would venture outside wearing on a day off from work, and I am curious if there are any other guys out there who pinch a few sprays from their wife/partner's "feminine" wardrobe, and which fragrances you dare pinch?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Which "female" scents do you guys wear in public, and in private?

Kenzo Jungle L'Éléphant, that is the only one I own currently that i wear regularly at work that is classified as female, but I have sampled many female scents

There are none that I wear in private that I wouldn't wear in public.

Female scents in my wardrobe include (in no particular order):
    Balmain de Balmain
    Vol de Nuit
    Bandit
    Cabochard
    Jicky
    L'Heure Bleue

I don't pinch frags from my wife, 'cause she doesn't have many to pinch.

Obsession. I hate Obession for Men.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

I just wear scents - and I wear everything in my wardrobe in public.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: Which "female" scents do you guys wear in public, and in private?

The only feminine scent I own is Shalimar EdP, and now that it is getting chillier around here, I can bask in its warmth. One spray to the chest is enough, and I dress well enough on a daily basis to carry it off (the smokiness, rather more pronounced in the EdT, helps too).

I have been playing around with layering The Perfumer's Workshop Tea Rose and some of the other fragrances I own, but mostly I use it to scent my closet or occasionally my sheets; a ladyfriend recently complimented me on the latter, among other things.

But while I enjoy the scent, Tea Rose is not really something I want to walk around smelling like.
    Last edited by Emlynevermore; 4th December 2009 at 03:28 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I've wear:

Chanel Coromandel
    Chanel Bois des Iles
    Guerlain Mitsouko
    Caron Tabac Blond

There're others from samples/decant I can't remind right now. Anyway, I never take the perfume gender into consideration.w

Post Thanks / Like

Shalimar, No.5, and a few others. I'm always a little uncomfortable wearing them as nice guy+sweet/floral=gay, whereas model/jock+sweet=sexy... I'm the sweet guy who ends up being "just friends", shiat I think I'll order some champagne next time ;-)
    NEW STUFF FOR SALE - TOM FORD, Guerlain, Acqua Di Parma, Serge Lutens, Byredo, Diptyque, etc. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Post Thanks / Like

I've worn Mitsouko (the greatest fragrance ever, IMO), Cabaret, Eau de Courreges, and Cleopatra. Mitsouko is the perfect chypre, and Cabaret and Cleopatra are awesome rose/patchouli scents. I've worn them all in public.
    Last edited by shamu1; 4th December 2009 at 03:41 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Re: Which "female" scents do you guys wear in public, and in private?

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    nice guy+sweet/floral=gay, whereas model/jock+sweet=sexy...
    That is an interesting observation.

I am neither a model nor a jock, as such, but I guess I have always implicitly understood, without actually engaging, the attitude factor you allude to by contrasting the athletic type with "nice guy".

A pleasant, even pretty scent seems to play up the beta aspects of a nice guy's personality. Yet I can easily imagine a powerhouse fragrance on such a man coming off as (over)compensatory or even desperate, somehow disingenuous.

Hmm....maybe you should stop being so nice?

Post Thanks / Like

Shalimar EDC & EDT & Samsara EDT. Public & private. Actually, those bottles are mine. I don't pinch from her, she pinches from me.
    Last edited by Bossa Nova; 4th December 2009 at 03:55 AM.

Le male, .....oh...wait

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I just wear scents - and I wear everything in my wardrobe in public.
    Bravo, petrucci, for your true commitment to scent connoisseurship. Disregard the label and sample the juice. Today, I--a woman--am wearing Aramis. Keep in mind that this was a scent originally made for women, but now marketed to men. I adore the floral and leather scent!

Today, my husband wore one of my fragrances. Which one? Hermes Equipage! How's that for a twist? LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by PhinClio View Post

Female scents in my wardrobe include (in no particular order):
    Balmain de Balmain
    Vol de Nuit
    Bandit
    Cabochard
    Jicky
    L'Heure Bleue

I don't pinch frags from my wife, 'cause she doesn't have many to pinch.
    I adore Balmain de Balmain and Cabochard!
    Last edited by Primrose; 4th December 2009 at 04:06 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emlynevermore View Post
    Hmm....maybe you should stop being so nice?
    Thanks, I'm working on it... asshole...

Yeah, I know what you mean. I find if I wear something like Joop! Homme and be all friendly everybody's gaydar goes off. I think fragrance, like clothes, put me in the mood, not the other way round. I USE them to make me feel a certain way, so that's why I tend to actually prefer the sweeter smells, but wear the woody/spicy ones more instead.
    Just thought I'd share some personal insight there...
    NEW STUFF FOR SALE - TOM FORD, Guerlain, Acqua Di Parma, Serge Lutens, Byredo, Diptyque, etc. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
    Le male, .....oh...wait
    Very funny.

Post Thanks / Like

The now discontinued Ispahan by Yves Rocher, Jasmin Noir by Bvlgari, possibly vintage
    Cuir de Russie by Chanel

Like Manco the bounty hunter said to Senor Martinez in For A Few Dollars More: I don't wear 'em.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

(None anymore. In fact I can't even stand the idea of doing so. Tell me a fragrance is marketed towards "females" - and I will smell the "female" component of it which makes it unbearable for me. Maybe it's because right now I don't like females much anymore.)

Chanel = Mademoiselle

I loved this so much on the women i dance with, i decided to wear it myself. Love that dirty note in it....lovely fragrance.
    Knize Ten !

Post Thanks / Like

I wear everything in my wardrobe in public.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DesGrieux View Post
    (None anymore. In fact I can't even stand the idea of doing so. Tell me a fragrance is marketed towards "females" - and I will smell the "female" component of it which makes it unbearable for me. Maybe it's because right now I don't like females much anymore.)
    Yes of course. I mean, no, not at all. So maybe it is maybe. It depends.

Cabochard and Tabu. They are femenines but they smell like many men's so I just wear them. Shalimar, the smokiness is perfectly male, so one shot is enough. But, I tried Nª 5 and I could not bare it. It has been months I have been thinking about Opium (the original)... I keep on mustering on it.

On the other hand, I tried Le Male (pour Homme) and, well, it just felt oddly uncomfortable - I had this weird sensation, something to do with calling the atention of the ones around me in a shriekish, histerical, way. At odds the way Hermes' Equipage and Guerlain's, Dominguez' and Zara's Vetiver make me feel. Don't ask me why.
    Last edited by Pollux; 11th December 2009 at 06:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

At least 1/2 of my wardrobe is marketed as women's, and I wear all of them in public. No. 5, Shalimar, Vraie Blond, Chinatown...I don't care if I smell girly...I still smell good.

Dependent

Post Thanks / Like

I think I have a nice handful of "female" scents in my wardrobe. I have no issues wearing anything I own in public - a prerequisite for all my purchases in the first place.

Banned

Post Thanks / Like

In my "own" collection I have:

A Scent Issey Miyake
    Le Feu d'Issey Issey Miyake
    Bronze Goddess Estée Lauder
    Black Orchid Tom Ford
    Blue Grass Elisabeth Arden
    Stephen Jones Millinery CdG
    Jungle L'Elephant Kenzo
    Vol de Nuit Guerlain
    L'Heure Bleue Guerlain
    Citizen Queen Juliette Has a Gun
    LPNo9 for Her Penhaligons
    Youth Dew Amber Nude Estée Lauder

...plus a few others that dont immediately spring to mind.

Post Thanks / Like

Tom FordBlack Orchid
    Makes my wife mad

So many different opinions...

The other day, my husband borrowed my Equipage...
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Which "female" scents do you guys wear in public, and in private?

Quote Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
    Le male, .....oh...wait

You forgot Versace Dreamer--You'll grow golden locks in your hair, pine for true love and write bad poetry.

BTW, I can't stand it myself, but how about Old Spice? Did they reformulate it after it came out as a woman's frag in 1937 and bombed?

Why any sentient being would wear Bandit is truly a 5 star koan.
    (Though I admit the history behind its creation is interesting.)

Gassho,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Justiniani View Post

You forgot Versace Dreamer--You'll grow golden locks in your hair, pine for true love and write bad poetry.

BTW, I can't stand it myself, but how about Old Spice? Did they reformulate it after it came out as a woman's frag in 1937 and bombed?

Why any sentient being would wear Bandit is truly a 5 star koan.
    (Though I admit the history behind its creation is interesting.)

Gassho,

Mario
    Parfum D'Orsay's Le Dandy was marketed originally to men and women in the 1920s took to it. It was advertised as a women's scent well into the 1950s. Now it is sold as a men's scent after the mid-1990s relaunch and reformulation.

Go figure...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    At least 1/2 of my wardrobe is marketed as women's, and I wear all of them in public. No. 5, Shalimar, Vraie Blond, Chinatown...I don't care if I smell girly...I still smell good.
    Same here. I am 6' 5" and 300lbs, all male, I wear what suits me, anyone got a problem with that???
    ISO-WTB
    Sample or Partial
    Teo Cabanel-Alahine
    Bois D'Armenie
    Mark Buxton-Wood & Absinthe

My sales thread:

--Bruce Lee
    Jeet Kune Do -"Way of the intercepting fist"

My store- www.AtoZknives.com
    (Knives, sporting & Tactical products GALORE !!)
    Low price LEADER- FAST ship too!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: Which "female" scents do you guys wear in public, and in private?

In public I wear Mitsouko, L'Heure Bleue, Vol de Nuit, Nahema, Cologne du 68, Lolita Lempika, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel No. 19, Cuir de Lancome, Jicky, Parfum Sacre, Fendi Theorema, YSL Nu, Chamade, Shalimar, Teracotta and more.

At home, Le Parfum, Nuit de Noel, Monatigne, Cabochard, Bal a Versailles, Balmain de Balmain and more.
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 11th December 2009 at 11:58 PM.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I honestly think you men would smell wonderful to me , wearing all those perfume choices. I mean , what is labelled ' pour femme' in only on the bottle / and or box. The person on the street will never be able to guess you are wearing women's fragrances- they would probably think " oh, he smells great - not like anything I have smelt before " - this would make you avant garde ,mysterious and hip !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Quote Originally Posted by mi-hooked? View Post
    Same here. I am 6' 5" and 300lbs, all male, I wear what suits me, anyone got a problem with that???
    LOL! The Comte d'Orsay was 6'3", full of testosterone, and wore eau de jasmine on his gloves and took perfumed baths. He was also a bare-knuckles boxer and a duellist.

Anyone making comments to the negative on his perfume would have had to address his comments to the tip of the Comte's sword or down the barrel of his pistol, or to his fist.

LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    In public I wear Mitsouko, L'Heure Bleue, Vol de Nuit, Nahema, Cologne du 68, Lolita Lempika, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel No. 19, Cuir de Lancome, Jicky, Parfum Sacre, Fendi Theorema, YSL Nu, Chamade, Shalimar, Teracotta and more.

At home, Le Parfum, Nuit de Noel, Monatigne, Cabochard, Bal a Versailles, Balmain de Balmain and more.
    Perfume marketing is all hype, esp. in gender issues. Bravo for you, Nick!

Quote Originally Posted by mysticknot View Post
    I honestly think you men would smell wonderful to me , wearing all those perfume choices. I mean , what is labelled ' pour femme' in only on the bottle / and or box. The person on the street will never be able to guess you are wearing women's fragrances- they would probably think " oh, he smells great - not like anything I have smelt before " - this would make you avant garde ,mysterious and hip !
    I agree, mysticknot, it's all in the wearing and perception. I get many compliments when I wear Aramis and Le Dandy.

I tend to ignore gender labels and use my nose to say what I like.
    Last edited by Primrose; 12th December 2009 at 02:08 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Rive Gauche
    Mitsouko
    Diorella
    Bandit
    Cuir de Russie (Chanel)
    Sous le Vent
    Tommy Girl
    Givenchy III
    Last edited by pluran; 13th December 2009 at 02:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SillageMonger View Post
    I am curious if there are any other guys out there who pinch a few sprays from their wife/partner's "feminine" wardrobe, and which fragrances you dare pinch?
    No one to pinch from, darn the luck! But on occasion I do wear No. 19, Le Dix, Ma Griffe, or Amazone to work.

BPAL The Ghost stays at home - I only have the one imp, and it's a nice iris to go to sleep to

Post Thanks / Like

In private, everything goes
    Lately, I love to 'borrow' Paco Rabanne's Calandre

Two other of my faves:
    PdN Le Temps D’Une Fête
    Opium

Oddly, some companies are coming up with "masculinity" and "feminity" ratings.

Lucky Scent are using a little "meter" to gauge the masculine and feminine characters of their offering, with "unisex" in the middle.

Post Thanks / Like

Shalimar
    Nu EDT and EDP
    Jasmin Noir
    Fuel for Life pour Femme

These are, IMO, unisex.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Aoud Damascus is too beautiful for just women to wear

None, I wear frag in public, never in private; no matter which gender it's originally marketed for.

My opinion is, "If you're too embarrassed to wear a particular fragrance in public, don't buy it or wear it at all."
    Q: How do you make a feminine fragrance masculine?
    A: Add 'Pour Homme' to the bottle
    - Pierre Bourdon

None

I'm wearing L de Lolita Lempicka and I love it

I'll wear any of them in public:

Bandit
    Crystal Noir
    Trussardi
    Hiris
    Jungle L'Elephant
    JPG Summer

Post Thanks / Like

I wear regularly in public:

Vol de Nuit
    Mitsouko
    Sous le Vent
    Dioressence
    Tabac Blond
    Bois des Iles
    Cuir de Russie (Chanel)
    Bandit
    Givenchy III
    Azurée

Some like Odalisque, Shalimar and Apès l´ondée I would rather wear in private for my own pleasure.....

Post Thanks / Like

mitsouko
    shalimar

Ubar
    gold amouage
    DIA
    Jubilation 25

opium
    diorella
    white patchouli

parfum sacre
    N0 5

Tubereuse Indiana, I really like this scent, but in sparing amounts.
    Green Dragon

Aliquando et insanire iucundum est.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

En Passant
    Une Rose
    Champs Elysee
    Lolita Lempicka
    Un Jardin Sur Le Nil
    Bleu Lotus (Roger & Gallet)
    Black Orchid

I do go over the top with my choice of female perfumes and I match them with what I wear. My best friend (male) only wears female frags.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

Shalimar EDT
    Samsara EDP
    Tommy Girl
    Patou 1000
    Chanel No.19
    Chanel Cuir de Russie
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 13th December 2009 at 03:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I like to wear lots of women's perfume out and about, most often they're from Chanel. 28 La Pausa, Bel Respiro and No. 19 from my wardrobe, and Cuir de Russie, 31 rue Cambon, Sycomore and Eau de Cologne from samples/decants.

Serge Lutens Sarassins is pretty much the only perfume that I wouldn't wear out and about because it's too feminine, even though I really like it and often put a drop on at home.

Recently, the following (in public):

Shalimar
    Tocade
    Chanel No. 19
    Mitsouko
    Cuir (Lancome)
    Parfum Sacre (Caron)
    Poivre (Caron)
    Vocalise (Shiseido)
    Apres L'ondee
    Beyond Paradise (Women and Man)
    Jil Sander No. 4
    Joy (Patou)
    Vetiver Pour Elle
    Vol de Nuit
    Le Feu D'Issey
    Griff

To each his own, but why would a man want to smell like a woman

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    Did you know that Old Spice was originally marketed towards women?

I guess a lot of men over the decades did and do want to smell like a woman?

Post Thanks / Like

I think you'd be surprised at how the same fragrance can smell very differently on an average guy, compared to the same worn by an average woman.

Even for the ones that don't, styles have changed so much over the years that some of these don't smell very "feminine" anymore (Vintage leather fragrances seem to lead that pack, but tobaccos, and other chypres maybe aren't far behind )

Clyde, I know that you are new here, but many people "genderbend" scents because we wear what we like and look beyond the label on the bottle.

Atttitudes toward scent change with time.

For instance, there were really no gender distinctions in perfumes in the early part of the 19th century (and earlier) and both sexes wore floral scents, including rose and jasmine.

Le Dandy was marketed to men but later sold to women. I also understand Aramis was marketed to women and is now sold as a popular masculine scent.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

I understand your concerns. It's more for the 'advanced class'...not everyone gets to this level. Besides, a man who is truly confident of his own masculinity does as he pleases.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    It's more for the 'advanced class'...not everyone gets to this level.
    Disagree. I've been there...moving backwards, and I'm happy with it. Can't really explain why I tend to think answers like these are in a way "fundamentalistic". I can totally understand why people who experience female perfumes as "female perfumes", being a man, don't want to wear it. If I wore Mitsouko and it would transcend me into something other than my grandmother (who in fact wears YSL "Elle" - so any other grandmother) I'd wear it. This "expert-talk" activates some dark side in me, so I'd rather stop now.

Post Thanks / Like

of what i have...
    Hermes Hiris
    Hermes Kelly Caleche edt
    Hermes Un Jardin Sur Le Nil
    Guerlain Shalimar
    Guerlain Vol De Nuit
    Guerlain Mitsouko

Kenzo Power...I've got this lipstick/crayon thing going on. Bleh!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    I understand your concerns. It's more for the 'advanced class'...not everyone gets to this level. Besides, a man who is truly confident of his own masculinity does as he pleases.
    I agree with diamondflame. If it smells nice to you, what the heck, wear it. I neglected to mention that in MY wardrobe I have Ivoire by Pierre Balmain, which some consider to be a "feminine" scent. I consider it to be one of the best, feminine or masculine. I am crossing the 'line' a bit more often because I am more progressively seeing fragrances as just that - fragrances. It really depends on the wearer's body chemistry and what he or she feels comfortable with - NOT as a pre-labeled, pre-determined (by some anonymous entity) feminine or masculine fragrance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DesGrieux View Post
    Disagree. I've been there...moving backwards, and I'm happy with it. Can't really explain why I tend to think answers like these are in a way "fundamentalistic". I can totally understand why people who experience female perfumes as "female perfumes", being a man, don't want to wear it. If I wore Mitsouko and it would transcend me into something other than my grandmother (who in fact wears YSL "Elle" - so any other grandmother) I'd wear it. This "expert-talk" activates some dark side in me, so I'd rather stop now.
    Halfway been there myself, and not moving backwards. Still, what I sense behind your words deserves attention, because you speak the truth, unless I misinterpret.

Turin (as the first, already in the nineties) advised people not to take gender classification too seriously. But he didn't ask his audience to completely ignore it ! Not all men are alike and not all perfumes have been designed for men as a group, least for specific individuals. Every man should only wear what he likes. But it would also be wise to keep an awareness for differing perceptions of people around us. Even the biggest narcissist needs a certain amount of acceptance by others. The best advice of fellow BNers may be wrong in real life situations. But it is harder to get true responses from other guys and girls around us, particularly when they are neither frag enthusiasts nor convinced that smell adds anything to the man they are stuck with during a significant part of the day, or even to the man they fancy.
    Last edited by narcus; 15th December 2009 at 09:22 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    Halfway been there myself, and not moving backwards. Still, what I sense behind your words deserves attention, because you speak the truth, or what I get out of your comment.

Turin (as the first, already in the nineties) advised people not to take gender classification too seriously. But he didn't ask his audience to completely ignore it ! Not all men are alike and not all perfumes have been designed for men as a group, least for specific individuals. Every man should only wear what he likes. But it would also be wise to keep an awareness for differing perceptions of people around us. Even the biggest narcissist needs a certain amount of acceptance by others. The best advice of fellow BNers may be wrong in real life situations. But it is harder to get true responses from other guys and girls around us, particularly when they are neither enthusiasts nor convinced that smell adds anything to a man they are stuck with part of the day, or even to the man they fancy.
    That's an interesting perspective, and certainly one that you have brought in, narcus - thanks. I don't think I had this complex answer in mind when writing the comment.

I made my comment "just" against the "connoisseur-attitude", i.e. that one has to develop etc. in order to appreciate female scents on yourself. If body chemistry makes you smell like a woman - because of what you associate with the "scent of a woman" - and one feels uncomfortable in that, I see no point in trying to persuade someone with the argument of "advanced level" or 'higher class of fragrance perception'. If Mitsouko, for example. "works" and adds to the "aura" of oneself - why not wear it? In any other case I'll leave it to women to enchant me with that fragrance.