Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Which "female" scents do you guys wear in public, and in private?

I made my comment "just" against the "connoisseur-attitude", i.e. that one has to develop etc. in order to appreciate female scents on yourself.
    I agree it sounds awfully elitist when put like that. I read the infamous remark slightly differently, though: the "advanced class stage" is being open-minded about gender classification, and being able to appreciate scent regardless of the label on the bottle. Now, if after trying any amount of pour femme, you still prefer to wear designated masculines, I don't think anyone can argue with that. Tastes differ. Many (most non-BN'ers, I suppose) pre-emptively decide that anything marketed to females is automatically bound to make them wear frilly pink skirts, though. In that respect, even considering to wear female marketed scent is "advanced class", innit?
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by veuve amiot View Post
    In that respect, even considering to wear female marketed scent is "advanced class", innit?
    In that respect I agree.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Ah, the perils of such an imprecise language... which is why 'advanced class' were in quotation marks to begin with, any connotation of 'elitism' is far from intended. Arguably it does take a little more experience (and open-mindedness) to learn just how gender-neutral many of the female-marketed scents are, and even more experience to pick the right scents for the right occasion as I have always pointed out in many of my earlier posts. Anyway I offer my apologies if my less than precise use of English has ruffled feathers...

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Ah, the perils of such an imprecise language... which is why 'advanced class' were in quotation marks to begin with, any connotation of 'elitism' is far from intended. Arguably it does take a little more experience (and open-mindedness) to learn just how gender-neutral many of the female-marketed scents are, and even more experience to pick the right scents for the right occasion as I have always pointed out in many of my earlier posts. Anyway I offer my apologies if my less than precise use of English has ruffled feathers...
    In my opinion--and my opinion only--I find the "genderfication" of scent enjoyment and connoisseurship to be a bit strange. No one, after all, would attach a gender to the enjoyment of wine, for instance, except to say for its suitability for different types of food or meals

In that respect, perhaps one can categorise scent to the occasion or season. Most people usually prefer floral, lighter scents in warm weather, and muskier, heavier scents in the cooler weather. That's not to say you can't wear anything you wish whenever you choose!

I am of the opinion that scents can be used by anyone--for their enjoyment and others. The "gender labels" of scent are really late 19th century ideas. It was around this time that men started wearing trousered pyjamas instead of the nightshirt/nightgown that they had worn for centuries.

I have used the Comte d'Orsay to point out the paradox of gender labels. For instance, he was a formidable bare-knuckle boxer, duellist (sword and pistol), rifle shot, cricket player, driver and rider (carriages and horses) and was broad in the chest, standing a towering 6'3": almost 7' in his top hat. This would put him in a masculine category for most people.

Then again, he took perfumed baths, and used tons eau de jasmin and eau de Cologne, and paid a great deal of attention to his clothing. Many people put fashion sense and perfume (esp. jasmine scents) in a feminine category. This paradox did not seem to bother him at all.

It's all perspective, I guess.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Blog Entries

Not that I wouldn't wear a pour femme fragrance, but in my limited experience, the closest I've gotten is the unisex Mugler Cologne (which I really enjoy).

As far as masculine/feminine go, my little girl's Mary Kate & Ashley perfume smells quite masculine to me. However, I don't like the way it smells at all.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    To each his own, but why would a man want to smell like a woman
    Only because [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxLBpa7g5fg"]YouTube- Little Britain. I'm a lady.[/ame], you see.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

LMAO. Good one, Matt!

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    In my opinion--and my opinion only--I find the "genderfication" of scent enjoyment and connoisseurship to be a bit strange. No one, after all, would attach a gender to the enjoyment of wine, for instance, except to say for its suitability for different types of food or meals
    Genderfication usually applies to the things we wear, hardly ever to the food we eat/drink. Which interestingly brings gourmand scents into question where 'sweet, honeyed, candy-like' scents are deemed more feminine than say, 'dark chocolate, spices and coffee'. Gender bias in food-related scents but not food itself, eh?

But I agree with your e.g. on Comte d'Orsay. Ultimately it is probably the way you project to others that defines masculinity or feminity, irrespective of the scent you're wearing. And you don't really have to be 6 foot 3"...
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 16th December 2009 at 03:05 AM.

Dependent

LMAO. Good one, Matt!
    Glad you enjoyed the humor, DF.

I'd wear some "female" fragances... but the thing is that i don't like so many female frags, not even on them. Anyway i'm thinking about buying somo Temps d'une fete

Well i wear Fleurs d'oranger by Lutens, but, for me, it's unisex.

I have worrn a whole bunch, it's all about the way you carry yourself, i have been told only once that my scent was "flowery" but not in a mocking way, more in a surprised way (a magnolia scent).

My skin chemistry allows me to wear some feminine scents making them masculine smelling (Balmain's Ivoire) .

There are many more that i don't wear but i keep for "research" purposes (Patou's 1000 and Lanvin's Arpège).

And then there are those scents that are labeled feminine but borrow heavely from the "men's" side of perfumery (YSL's Y; Dior's Midnight Poison) . And those more "unisex" than anything (some of Guerlain's AA line;etc).

It's all in good fun.

The latest one i like to wear, mostly at home and marketed for women is TF's Black Orchid VdF.

diorissimo cologne in the checkered bottle (just like an even more floral and greener eau sauvage)
    bulgari blv eau d'ete limited edition (like a less harsh gph II)

dior homme is more feminine than these two to my nose.

when i wore dior homme cologne i kinda felt pretty lol!
    Last edited by scentcloud; 24th February 2011 at 12:24 PM.

Too many to name , just be bold and wear what you want to wear with abundance and audacity

As I said in my earlier post, the gender marketing of fragrance is really a phenomenon of the end of the 19th century.

Wear what you like and don't worry about the label. If a man wants to wear Dior Poison or Chanel No. 5, that is his choice and no one's business but his own.

Scents do indeed smell different on different people, and on men and women.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

This discussion has been going on in one form or another since the day I arrived on BN. I haven't yet smelled Cuir de Lancome. I'm going to buy a bottle just because it is so reasonably priced and well liked... I'm sure if I don't like it I can always find a good home for it. I believe it is marketed as "female."

I do prefer to turn female heads, say e.g. in a supermarket queue, and would not really want lustful men to turn around and look at me confused.
    I do own, and wear, obviously, Bvlgari Au De Rouge, an, in my opinion, rather feminine unisex. Admittedly mainly at home as it is calming and relaxing for me. Also Bal a Versaille, as I was craving some civet. It's lovely and doesn't strike me as too feminine.

Also had a sample of Manifesto which I quite liked at first but lost interest quickly.

Midnight Poison is a terrific "masculine" in small doses.

fountain

eden by cacharel

Banned

I wear all fragrances everywhere and I tend to get more compliments from women on pour-femme fragrances. Just the other day the clerk in a clothing store gave me a "OMG you smell goooood!" and I was wearing the very girlish Guerlain La Petit Robe Noir. If I had to guess I'd wager that for most women the potent masculines are a turn-off, especially if you're wearing too much of one.

Wearing Jicky myself - but it's not a girls scent or is it?) my older brother who is full of testosterone and chase women like mad wears his secret weapon and it works - Black Orchid

Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel Golfer View Post
    Not that I wouldn't wear a pour femme fragrance, but in my limited experience, the closest I've gotten is the unisex Mugler Cologne (which I really enjoy).
    Me too. Mugler Cologne is also about the closest I've gotten thus far.
    Versace Metal Jeans for Men I find to be even more feminine, but I have'nt worn it in years.

I recently bought Chanel No.5 Eau Premiere, which I've worn only once. I'm going to give it to my mother if it doesn't work out for me, but I need to give it some more time, especially with summer coming.

I've worn many. Eau de Shalimar is something I wear a lot. It's just extremely beautiful and quite unisex. Have had numerous compliments with it from ladies.

Banned

I know we're going back a couple months with these posts, but I didn't read the comments as elitist in the slightest. To expound on the above explanation, I'll add that the longer one is into fragrance and the more time one spends sampling all sorts of fragrances, the less any fragrance feels like it belongs to any gender. After all, there is no such thing as a "masculine" smell or a "feminine" smell, these are just associations. Eventually one only smells notes and the gender associations fall away. Of course to get to this point one must be open minded about sampling and experiencing all manner of fragrance. This isn't to say that those who disregard gender are 'better' in any way, but more often then not it does infer a certain level of experience and knowledge. If you're newer to fragrance and have come to understand that it's all just perfume at an earlier stage then most then all the power to you, that's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Giorgio View Post
    Midnight Poison is a terrific "masculine" in small doses.
    Agree 100 %.

I am confident of my own sexuality. I wear a scent that I like, regardless, of its marketed gender. In public and work I use common sense and maybe tone it down closer to my skin. Yes I have and wear Chanel Eau de Cologne and on top of that I have got my future sights on acquiring Jicky.

As of lately, Dior Homme...