Code of Conduct

Default What makes us choose the perfumes that we choose.

Although we think we decide on which fragrances to wear based on what we like and do not like, this may not be the whole story. According to the following article, there may be evidence to suggest that a genetic factor helps us determine which scents we like on our own person that "amplify in some way body odors that reveal a person's immunogenetics' that help potential mates decide whether or not one's genotype differs enough from their own to promote genetic diversity in their offspring.

http://beheco.oxfordjournals.org/cgi...urcetype=HWCIT
    Last edited by surreality; 5th December 2009 at 06:57 PM.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Blog Entries

Default Re: What makes us choose the perfumes that we choose.

Interesting. I've seen this before, but the re-read was good. I do know that I don't like it when SAs try to get me to wear a scent that I know I don't like. It's almost a gut response, which flies in the face of anything they say, or how I want to feel about it. It's as if they are "messing" with my odor - invading my personal space.

Perhaps we're not all that far from other mammals which select natural, external odorants for augmenting their own smell. Although I tend to think we do a better job of selecting!

Very interesting. Thanks for the link!

(I also bookmarked it with the explicit intention to bomb any future thread about "fragrance that drives men wild" or "cologne that makes women's panties drop" with it. )
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Interesting points thus far, let's keep this one moving