Code of Conduct

Default How Much Money Is Your Fragrance Collection Worth

How much money since becoming interested in Fragrances have you spent on your hobby and how much is your current collection worth?

Also how many bottles do you have and is there a limit you will not go beyond?

I own about fourteen bottles and have spent about eight hundred pounds, ouch.

Default Re: How Much Money Is Your Fragrance Collection Worth

I'm going to stick my head in the sand and ignore this thread, just like I did the other one about quantity... I'm far from extreme, but I still don't really want to know. Ignorance is bliss.

I shudder to think.

I sold off about 60% of my collection, mostly designer stuff, and used to the money to buy 4 Amouages, 1 Guerlain Parisienne and 1 Mazzolari. So the value to bottle ratio has risen, but the amount of bottles has decreased.
    If I had to replace my collection I'd say it would take around $3000.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 5th December 2009 at 01:33 PM.

around $900, just started collecting a month or 2 ago

Blog Entries

Hmmm...let's just say I've decided to make a list of their values (or at least what they sell for new) for my husband and daughter just in case they have to deal with my estate.

A rough estimate would lead me to an approximate figure of about 1750 $, but then again it could always be more or less. Probably less, since: a) I do not own ALL of the frags I have spent my money on any longer, for various reasons- like using them up, giving them away or even loss and/or deterioration, mainly of the bottle or the spraying mechanism, not the frag itself and b) also due to the fact that a tiny fraction of my scents came as gifts- never asked or requested, not even suggested in the slightest way- from friends and relatives who know certain things about my fragrance passion.
    But then again, my (entirely self-financed) "Christmas collection" has yet to arrive, most likely about 5-6 designer frags (neither mass-market nor niche and half of them backup bottles of some of the frags I already have), which might set me back
    an additional figure around 250-300 $, at most.
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 5th December 2009 at 02:44 PM.

I've probably spent close to $4000 USD for the entire hobby combined since starting this Summer. But if my recent sell-off activity is any indication, and the value is worth what others would pay for it, then it's worth much, much less than what I spent. I've spent at least a thousand on samples from Luckyscent, TPC, Scentmonkey and various niche houses directly in the past year.

I've toned down my spending dramatically but now I desire higher-end niche fragrances from Montale, Amouage, Creed etc. So I'm buying fewer and spending less overall but I'm spending much more per bottle than my initial spending spree. I was buying everything that smelled good until I calmed down.

Would love to hear what Maz24 has to say.

I have about 12 bottles right now, worth about $400.

This doesn't seem like a good topic for BN because the people here seem pretty meek, I doubt they'd answer...
    Last edited by Big Punisher; 5th December 2009 at 03:52 PM.
    WTT: Creed SMW for Creed GIT.

AromiErotici

My collection is almost worth the amount I learned from them.

I indulge myself. I have spare cash, and love to spend it. Ever since starting this hobby, I'll estimate that I spent an average of 23 dollars a bottle. That leads to a rough estimate of 3 grand, or three months pay, spent on fragrances. For the amount of joy this hobby gives me, that's pocket change.
    I refuse to sink.

Blog Entries

Question Re: How Much Money Is Your Fragrance Collection Worth

The cost of happiness is money well spent as regards fragrance. Who says you can't by happiness?

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    The cost of happiness is money well spent as regards fragrance. Who says you can't by happiness?
    This is exactly why I prefer blind-buying. I like the thrill of the hunt, endlessly researching fragrances before pulling the trigger on a bottle at a great price. Getting that bottle in, sniffing it, and seeing that it's absolutely wonderful is such a great feeling. I just blind-bought Minotaure and Nemo, two scents I would have a tough time sampling before purchasing, and am extremely pleased with each of them. That's what it's all about, as far as I'm concerned.

EDIT: For a more extreme example, I blind bought The Dreamer. From Perfumania. With a tester sitting right in front of me. Even the SA asked if I wanted to spray the tester first. Nope! I'd done my research and knew I'd like it.
    Last edited by Royal; 5th December 2009 at 04:51 PM.
    I refuse to sink.

Replacement cost - approx. $7000. I'm sure I've spent triple that on all the things that have come and gone over the years though.

ONE MILLION DOLLARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Basenotes Plus

Price of 30+ bottles and 50+ samples/decants = US$1200

Knowledge gained and enjoyment = PRICELESS

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Royal View Post
    This is exactly why I prefer blind-buying. I like the thrill of the hunt, endlessly researching fragrances before pulling the trigger on a bottle at a great price. Getting that bottle in, sniffing it, and seeing that it's absolutely wonderful is such a great feeling.

What he said!

This is a new hobby for me, so it's my current entertainment and will probably remain so for a while. Whatever I've spent has been actually less than what previous hobbies cost me, take up less room or require less effort. The enjoyment factor is beyond measure.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Hmmm...let's just say I've decided to make a list of their values (or at least what they sell for new) for my husband and daughter just in case they have to deal with my estate.
    That is a great idea!
    I envision you doing this, not on an excel spreadsheet, but in a beautiful journal or notebook with comments on about what scents you wore at family occassions, just to make it a special memory book for them.

7 bottles ......350 usd I think
    "Burn their homes and churches.Then see if they will not laugh, sing and pray again.
    For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia."

William Saroyan.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using: Antaeus, The Dreamer, Eau Sauvage and Voyage d Hermes

Wishing: Tuscan Soul by Ferragamo and Concentré d Orange Verte

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hillaire

I have also streamlined and consolidated dozens of more common designer scents into a couple of Amouages, a Malle, my favorite discontinued Jil Sander Scents...some Cuiron...

And then there are the vintages...

I am thinking in the 5000 USD ballpark...perhaps?
    Though I suppose if I were pressed to 'liquidate', I would be very sorely disappointed indeed...

I'd probably need over US$2k to replace my whole collection.

But if I were only to buy things that I like say because I lost my whole collection, 1 full 100 ml bottle each, I'd only have 5 fragrances worth about US$450.
    Q: How do you make a feminine fragrance masculine?
    A: Add 'Pour Homme' to the bottle
    - Pierre Bourdon

Money is odorless.
    Griff

in the past year I've probably spent much more on postage swapping frragrances than acutally purchasing them... shipping overseas costs me about 20 bucks a bottle, and even domestic shipping priority can run over 10 bucks... my collection is starting to dwindle as I've found my HGs are all in pretty much the same family, and it makes it much easier when deciding what to buy
    At your service

i have about $150 worth on 4 bottles, but gave one to my brother, so technically 3 bottles left
    Gucci PH, DKNY Men, DKNY Be Delicious, Perry Ellis 360 Red, Burberry London, Burberry Brit, Nautica Voyage, Nautica Classic, Nautica Blue, Adidas Victory League

What a wonderful way of putting it.

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    My collection is almost worth the amount I learned from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    How much money since becoming interested in Fragrances have you spent on your hobby and how much is your current collection worth?

Also how many bottles do you have and is there a limit you will not go beyond?

I own about fourteen bottles and have spent about eight hundred pounds, ouch.
    Who cares.

Basenotes Institution

Oh, terrible thought. A few thousand US dollars without a doubt.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    Money is odorless.
    With all due respect, I have to disagree. Ever taken a sniff at a crisp 50-dollar note? (not that the denomination should make any difference...)

allot!
    Last edited by moreda; 6th December 2009 at 11:03 AM.

I am not ready to do this calculation. The best moves I have made so far are to buy used bottles when available and to stick with non-niche scents as there are so many to sample before I even think about going to the expensive stuff.

So in this case, ignorance is bliss. However, I do know that this hobby is less than my other hobbies, such as audio, music collecting and motorcycling.

6 months, ~$2500 in bottles and ~$500 in samples.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    With all due respect, I have to disagree. Ever taken a sniff at a crisp 50-dollar note? (not that the denomination should make any difference...)
    I am sadly, completely anosmic when it comes to the fragrance of money. Which explains a lot.

And I did once tally up the fair market value of my collection on a legal pad. After I came to, I burned the legal pad and vowed to never, EVER do that again.
    Last edited by Griff; 6th December 2009 at 06:18 PM.
    Griff

Blog Entries

Less than $200, even with the addition of YSL L'Homme coming soon.

30+ bottles

I'm guessing they're worth about $400

Money well spent in my opinion. You could never put a price on how my collection makes me feel.

Well over $1000AU. Which is a little bit worrying since I just started collecting these less than 3 months ago.

960 + = lots.

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    ONE MILLION DOLLARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL Winner.

I thoroughly did the math in the other similar thread, it was a bargain for sure, something like 22% of it's retail value. Retail value was stupid high.

I've since willingly overpaid for 16oz of Windsor, so my thriftiness has met it's match.

Started about 3-6 months ago, have about 15 bottles and 100 samples with 15 on the to get list and 30-50 more to sample in full. Probably about $500 spent at this point, with the expectation to spend about another $500 before I'm content for a while... with that base of 20-30 bottles I'll probably just keep sampling until something really grabs me or my larger decants run out and I buy a FB
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

*eyes glaze over and sees self to the door*
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Trust me, I know ALL about it, working at a bank and all. Plus, I work nowhere near a gentleman's club, yet you'd be surprised at the various odors that come attached, to those bills. We even had a bill that must have been dropped in a vat of perfume, three envelopes and inside a plastic sealed bag later, and it could still be smelled clearly.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

$519.44 for 7 100ml bottles. I'm not sure about samples.. maybe $30? For about 6 months that I've gotten back into this hobby

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by knit_at_nite View Post
    That is a great idea!
    I envision you doing this, not on an excel spreadsheet, but in a beautiful journal or notebook with comments on about what scents you wore at family occassions, just to make it a special memory book for them.
    Thank you for that idea! I might still write it on a computer document...but definitely will include the where and when stories!

50 + 100 + 50 + 50 + 40 + 20+ 40 = $350 give or take. Though I do have some money saved up after selling a couple bottles for a bottle of Vetiver Extraordinaire, if that counts
    Spring/Summer Wardrobe: vetiver extraordinaire, rose 31, terre d'hermes!

I suppose I could spend a couple of hours trying to tally up what I've actually spent (or been given) over the last 40 odd years. Or I could attempt to calculate the current resale value (which would likely be very much higher- I once found black bottles of Joy (new) for $6 each. I bought them all.) I probably should, if only to purchase a bit of insurance on them.

But my collection? Is priceless.

Lets put it this way, i've spent around $3778 on my Oriscent oud oils alone!
    I can't remember the exact cost of all of them, but that is a close estimate.

I am afraid to add in the rest of my collection.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

My collection belongs in a Mastercard commercial
    Sales thread here

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post
    I'm going to stick my head in the sand and ignore this thread, just like I did the other one about quantity... I'm far from extreme, but I still don't really want to know. Ignorance is bliss.

+1

The only value I place is on how each individual one makes me feel. Monetary worth ??? - couldn't give a rat's.
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 8th December 2009 at 08:12 PM.

Since my girlfriend and I got into an argument about this last night I happen to have totals handy, not including the frags I bought her that are also in my wardrobe.

Total spent, 2.5 years: $495
    Replacement value: approx retail $1100

Quote Originally Posted by decillisjl View Post
    in the past year I've probably spent much more on postage swapping frragrances than acutally purchasing them...
    +1 Me too!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    LOL. Well said, N_Tesla.

Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    I am sadly, completely anosmic when it comes to the fragrance of money. Which explains a lot.

And I did once tally up the fair market value of my collection on a legal pad. After I came to, I burned the legal pad and vowed to never, EVER do that again.
    Griff I know you have an amazing collection, you should probably keep it stored in Fort Knox.
    I would estimate my current collection to have close to $10,000 in resale value. Thats just a wild guess.
    Amazingly I just heard from a Basenoter that they own 6,000 full size bottles!
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

2-3 grand (rough estimate) since February... And I have every single one of you to (blame) thank :brolly:

Started 2 years back and it is around 2000 AUD.