Code of Conduct

Default Guerlain Homme Intense--MODERN FLORAL CHYPRE FOR MEN? SO COOL!!!!!

Ha-HA! This one is a bit of a flowerbomb and definitely a Guerlain for the Guerlainophile!!! This caught me totally by surprise and opened my eyes a little bit.

I managed to get a sample of the juice, and I was impressed, in the sense that takes Guerlain back to the aspect of different and the discriminating. To my nose it definitely has Guerlain's touch, with a definite defiance to the cliched wood and patchouli recipe for mens colognes.

Unarguably different from the original, it starts off with a bright and mildly powdery white floral, something like peony with that feminine "modern chypre" accord that is subtle, and develops into another floral accord that smells something like the pear-fig-mimosa combination in Halle Berry's fragrance. I'M NOT KIDDING ANYBODY WITH THIS!!

I remember all the argument about the femininity of Habit Rouge EdT on this board. NOW I REALLY WANNA HEAR IT ABOUT GUERLAIN HOMME EDP!!! lol!

Smelling the EdP and the EdT side by side made me change my mind about the EdT. It is not so mainstream as I had thought it to be. It definitely is different and paying attention to the opening a little more, I actually am impressed by its unusual complexity and very textured tonalities. I think the EdP is a perfect contrast to the original.

I HEREBY DUB THIS NEW EDP "GUERLAIN FEMME FOR MEN"! Definitely a collector's item that stands apart from any "created for men" scent that I own. Thumbs up for me!

*****BIG EDIT!!!!!!****

See my reply below guys...
    Last edited by iMaverick; 20th October 2009 at 07:53 AM.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Default Re: Guerlain Homme Intense--MODERN FLORAL CHYPRE FOR MEN? SO COOL!!!!!

Interesting! Is the edp version only being released as a limited release?

This is embarrassing...I was duped by my own nose.

What I received was a sample of IDYLLE in a Guerlain Homme Intense card!!!

I'M GONNA CRAWL UNDER A ROCK AND DIE NOW!

It goes to show though...perfume doesn't really have gender! I actually thought it was a mens scent.

Gotta go fix this mess--I want my GH Intense!
    Last edited by iMaverick; 20th October 2009 at 07:58 AM.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Smile Re: Guerlain Homme Intense--MODERN FLORAL CHYPRE FOR MEN? SO COOL!!!!!

It's possible, that Guerlain intentionally released Homme to be approachable, nice and marketable, after which they released the real thing as Homme Intense. This would be both good and bad news, when it comes to Guerlain today. Good, because it would prove they are capable of creating a fine Wasser under Thierry. Bad because it would indicate they're giving up on quality to be more commercial in some instances.

I need to sample this one as soon as possible.

iMaverick - perhaps you could just edit the first post to save people time and money ...

IDYLL Eehh? That is some good stuff too! Too bad you didn't get a chance to snell the new stuff though. Expensive though. It is beautifully presented.

I wasn't impressed with Guerlain Homme Intense at all
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Ludlow View Post
    It's possible, that Guerlain intentionally released Homme to be approachable, nice and marketable, after which they released the real thing as Homme Intense. This would be both good and bad news, when it comes to Guerlain today. Good, because it would prove they are capable of creating a fine Wasser under Thierry. Bad because it would indicate they're giving up on quality to be more commercial in some instances.

I need to sample this one as soon as possible.
    I agree with what you say exactly. The EDP Intense is excellent. It removes my objections to the EDT in almost every way. Wetter, sweeter, more complex, more gourmand, wears closer, less acrid, just beautiful.

And Idylle is also great. Just a bit too femme for me, but an awesome scent. I wish my wife didn't object to the powder in Idylle.

Wasser was clearly a good move for Guerlain, in my somewhat nooby opinion.

I just bought Guerlain Homme Intense last week, the real one, and am really enjoying it.
    For swap/sale: NIB: Pure Malt, Floris Vetiver, Vintage Tiffany, Charriol Royal Leather, Dior Homme; Dior Homme Intense, Chanel PMC, M7 gel, Roma (women's), LIDGE, Spicebomb, Trussardi Uomo, Obsession, others...
    http://tiny.cc/rd8ptw
    (swaps)
    http://tinyurl.com/a7qoley
    (sales)

Tried Idylle on paper at the airport the other day - I'm not a great judge of clearly feminine scents but seemed nice enough.

Tried Homme Intense on my wrist and enjoyed it. I was going to have another look on the way back but shenanigans with flights saw me rushing to another terminal before I had the chance. I liked the EDT enough for what it was but the Intense is better.

Seems fair enough - get one out then up the ante a bit. The Insolence EDT was weird but the EDP that followed is an amazing perfume.

If they are at HK Duty Free (but stangely not in the Guerlain counter in town yet) I think they'll be everywhere pretty soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Ludlow View Post
    [...] it would prove they are capable of creating a fine Wasser under Thierry.
    That's funny
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

Homme Intense is really a winner.
    The added notes in the whole pyramid from head to basenotes make it simply wonderful
    The EdT appears shy, nearly a watercolor or a sketch compared to the EdP.

Concerning Idylle it's really a lovely and very feminine fragrance that will be a best seller for sure (even if it is a little bit too expensive)

Anyone know when/if this is going to be available in the US?? I only see one for sale on ebay and looks like the seller is gouging the price because of it unavailability ($120 for 2.5 oz.)

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Thierry Wasser was brought in to extend Guerlain's reach among the younger crowd so I hope Guerlain knows what it's doing. I haven't been bowled over by his creations thus far so I'm also keen to sample Homme Intense. Personally, I wish Guerlain wouldn't adopt such tacky naming conventions. But I can understand why - some men won't even pick up anything that has the word 'parfum' on it...

Tried Guerlain Homme Intense today and it is an intense joke.

The difference is that the base is a bit darker, dryer, deeper. But that can't hide away the fact that Guerlain Homme - imho - is a cash cow disaster in the first place.

What I *think* Guerlain is trying to do here with Guerlain Homme is to produce a Chanel Allure Homme knockoff: a synthetic masculine sandalwood. To not entirely copy it, some ornaments, like the toothpas... I mean Mojito accord have been added. Allure Homme has been a major cash cow for Chanel (it's featured in many top 10 lists of stores), and I suspect Guerlain wants a bit of that as well. I don't think they have such a huge cash cow in their lineup presently.

The Intense is better, less flimsy than the original. But you can't give the monkey a golden ring and expect it to be pretty.

Lovers of Chanel Allure Homme should definitely try Guerlain Homme.
    Last edited by Stereotomy; 5th December 2009 at 08:40 PM.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

why people dont like the Intense version is beyond me, but i know that im enjoying it and that it is waaaay better than the EdT..

well done Wasser
    Last edited by Young Dro; 5th December 2009 at 08:48 PM.

Haha - how wonderful to hear praise of Idylle, so to speak by mistake! Count me in as fan. Its floral bouquet is just cute, surprisingly dewy. The patchouli works as a wonderful dry background, and the white musks are so soft and fluffy that you want to bury your nose in it.

As for Guerlain Homme: To me, it's a "recapitulation of innocence" like Chant d'Arômes was back in 1962 - although I miss the charm of the latter in the former - I guess that's why so many Guerlain followers has been disappointed. I still have to explore the EdP to really see the big difference to the EdT, although so far I've found the EdP too sweet (like Vetiver Extreme was), while I like the dry crispness of the EdT - I think the fine transparency of the top is a bit "messed up" in the EdP... But maybe I'll change my mind in due time...

Quote Originally Posted by iMaverick View Post
    This is embarrassing...I was duped by my own nose.

What I received was a sample of IDYLLE in a Guerlain Homme Intense card!!!

I'M GONNA CRAWL UNDER A ROCK AND DIE NOW!

It goes to show though...perfume doesn't really have gender! I actually thought it was a mens scent.

Gotta go fix this mess--I want my GH Intense!
    LMFAOL... Don't worry! We still like you.

I'm trying this as soon as I find it

Hilarious thread - so if I seek out Idylle I may end up stuck with a *shudder* knock off of a knock off ?
    -

I wasn't fooled from the start - I thought, "The OP must be mistaken - he must be describing Idylle". Read the subsequent posts to have my suspicions confirmed.

Idylle is an unremarkable modern pink chypre. After having smelled several of these perfumes in this new category, and several years for other perfume companies to up the ante, Narciso Rodriguez for Her EDT is still the Queen of the Pink Chypres.
    Q: How do you make a feminine fragrance masculine?
    A: Add 'Pour Homme' to the bottle
    - Pierre Bourdon

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Hilarious thread - so if I seek out Idylle I may end up stuck with a *shudder* knock off of a knock off ?
    LMAO

I doubt it. Idylle samples are literally pouring over the counters right now, and you couldn't find GH EDP Intense samples if your life depended on it. I think Guerlain has gone beyond unisex - to unifragrance.