Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Quick question about the inside shape of the bottles..

I noticed most bottles got this shape on the inside, as shown below

there are dozens of bottles with a shape like that,

does anybody why this is?

Default Re: Quick question about the inside shape of the bottles..

You have stumbled upon the great secret that keeps people like us buying frags that we clearly do not need, so be careful because the perfume police may come knocking on your door one of these days!

Seriously, I have yet to see any consistency in this business. It is characterized by a lack of any kind of consistency, other than the formulation notation (EdT, EdP, etc.), which doesn't seem to be consistent in terms of strength, and the sizing for the bottles (at least 50, 75, 100, and 125 ml; the mini bottles vary quite a bit though).
    Last edited by Bigsly; 5th December 2009 at 07:31 PM.

Visually maximizing content?
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Post Thanks / Like

It is easier on the eyes, more appealing design.
    WTT: Creed SMW for Creed GIT.

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Re: Quick question about the inside shape of the bottles..

Wasn't there an issue with the original Mugler Angel bottle and the points of the star?

The standard shape is probably the cheapest, simplest way of designing the bottles (when they are glass).

Post Thanks / Like

I think a lot of the development of a Frag is the Packaging, the presentation. Thus the way the bottle looks. they do a lot of research and study how consumers percieve the merchandise

Post Thanks / Like

Glass must be molten in order to be molded or shaped. Because it starts to solidify very quickly at room temperature, parts will look a bit saggy if manufactured in a certain way. In other words, it is just physics

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

Clean cut lines and the hefty feel of solid glass appeal more to the guys, according to market research.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    Glass must be molten in order to be molded or shaped. Because it starts to solidify very quickly at room temperature, parts will look a bit saggy if manufactured in a certain way. In other words, it is just physics
    This is the true answer. I dont think u can get a 100% box shape inside the bottle.
    When the bottle is manufactured, i assume its blow molding, an amount of molten glass is put in the mold and blown (imagine blowing a balloon).

The bottle now has its shape, but since theres no other way to remove excess material ( to make square edge box), the inside of the bottle becomes wavy like that.

Plus, sharp edges = easier to crack

Source: my material and manufacturing's knowledge from last semester.
    Last edited by ohhmygod; 6th December 2009 at 10:54 AM.
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

Post Thanks / Like

What about those indented lines that go across the top of the bottle below the sprayer/bottle-neck ?

Are those a sign of shoddy workmanship or just how it's supposed to be ?

There have been quite a few times when I mistook those lines as cracks at first glance.
    Last edited by JoNnY 4; 6th December 2009 at 11:08 AM.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

Post Thanks / Like

u mean those indented line on the top of the bottle and runs along the side from top down to bottom ?

I just checked my John Varvatos bottle. Those lines are formed in the gap between the mold (mold is usually made of 2 halves).

The better the mold the better the "lines" quality i think =]

P/S: i dont think they can sand that stuff down, first because the glass will have mini-scratches even if u use finest grade of sanding paper, 2nd is to save money
    Last edited by ohhmygod; 6th December 2009 at 11:24 AM.
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

Post Thanks / Like

whew ~ ! Thnx Asha

btw, i love it that way..thick chunk of glass with liquid suspended inside always get my vote

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ohhmygod View Post
    u mean those indented line on the top of the bottle and runs along the side from top down to bottom ?

I just checked my John Varvatos bottle. Those lines are formed in the gap between the mold (mold is usually made of 2 halves).

P/S: i dont think they can sand that stuff down, first because the glass will have mini-scratches even if u use finest grade of sanding paper, 2nd is to save money
    Polishing glass is an old, old technique--you start with rough compound and then progress to finer and finer grades. It is definitely possible to achieve a bright, shiny surface on polished glass. So, if you see that the mold marks are not present, that means they spent some time, money and resources to polish them out.

Regarding sharp edges and cracks...very true, but it is "half moon" type chips that occur. This is prevented by beveling the corners a little bit. Incidentally, corners that are less than 90 degrees (as in a prism) are even more problematic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ohhmygod View Post

Actually not from top to bottom but across, from one corner of the top part of the bottle to the other end diagonally. passing through the bottle neck part. Almost all my bottles have this indented line(s).

But thanks for your explanation
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

Post Thanks / Like

There are plenty of glass bottles that the inside shape is the same shape as the outside shape, more or less. I don't think this shape you are showing us is totally a function of the process. I think somebody - an idustrial designer working with the art director - worked really hard to get these shapes to look this way.

A possible reason for this type of shape is it is an intentionally created design to show minimalism surrounding the world of nature. It looks beautiful and pleasing to the eye. It looks natural and rounded but is under perfect control with exact boundaries. The hard edge, generic precision and coldness of a minimal shape to contain the soft natural shape of essences of fragrance within. It is a statement of the human mastery of the natural world.

A reflection of a pleasing notion of the self to itself. That's just my opinion.
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 6th December 2009 at 03:28 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Umm... Thicker glass reduces the chances of breakage?
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    Umm... Thicker glass reduces the chances of breakage?
    Stop with the common sense JamieB, it is not in tune with our visual asthetics.

Post Thanks / Like

here's another idea - if the internal corners were hard square edges, you'd have to turn your bottle side to side as it neared the end just to get the juice. with only rounded edges inside, the juice all pools to the middle where the straw can get it. Some bottles (ok most) have the straw curved to the one corner... so maybe this doesn't make sense, but it was my first thought and I'd already started typing...
    NEW STUFF FOR SALE - TOM FORD, Guerlain, Acqua Di Parma, Serge Lutens, Byredo, Diptyque, etc. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Post Thanks / Like

If the external glass cracks or chips off at the bottom or the sides, would the internal shape still be able to prevent air contamination of the juice inside ? Lets take the TdH bottle as an example.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emlynevermore View Post
    Wasn't there an issue with the original Mugler Angel bottle and the points of the star?
    Hey jackass, found it for you :

http://www.osmoz.com/statique/en/200...ses/mugler.htm

Right on Asha, It depends on the manufacturing process and the relative locations of support on the material when it is molded. You can see near the corners the peaks are smaller; I believe this is because of the corners supporting each other against gravitational force (assuming it is made in the orientation we see it, which could be wrong), where as in the middle you see sagging. If I'm wrong, someone correct me, I've only taken manufacturing process classes focused on metals, polymers, and ceramics.

Also, it would make sense that gravity would pull the glass downwards, making it slope down as the the Terre bottle posted.
    Last edited by runstile; 7th December 2009 at 04:12 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by runstile View Post
    Right on Asha, It depends on the manufacturing process and the relative locations of support on the material when it is molded. You can see near the corners the peaks are smaller; I believe this is because of the corners supporting each other against gravitational force (assuming it is made in the orientation we see it, which could be wrong), where as in the middle you see sagging. If I'm wrong, someone correct me, I've only taken manufacturing process classes focused on metals, polymers, and ceramics.

Also, it would make sense that gravity would pull the glass downwards, making it slope down as the the Terre bottle posted.
    I'd like to add that glass has a very consistent surface tension which is dependent upon the chemical content of the glass material. For example, when I was kiln-forming a particular kind of art glass, I could stack up several cm of the glass, but after it reached melting temperature, it would puddle into a piece ~6mm thick, height and width dimensions commensurate with the amount of glass volume present. So, depending on the surface tension of the glass used to create a bottle, it could affect the sagging in different ways. Also, if blown by hand, the amount of sagging could depend on the person doing the blowing.

I'd say these bottles must be blown in some way. Casting molds can't have undercuts, so the only way to cast would be to create different parts and piece them together. That is a very expensive proposition for something like a fragrance bottle.

Post Thanks / Like

I Don't know why, but I'm a sucker for these types of bottles.... I love tdH and D&G The One,
    I Also Love these, NR I Haven't sampled, but based on the reviews and the lovely bottle, I'm buying a full bottle blind. Maybe I'm just lucky that these great bottles come with great juice inside them.

Last edited by TimothyX; 7th December 2009 at 06:09 AM.
    LF: CAP/LID for Creed Original vetiver and Creed Millesime Imperiale, 75ml. Please pm me.. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

they can make it look alot larger than what it actually is
    even the 50ml bottles look huge even though we know 50ml is well just about close to nothing when compared to a glass of water
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

vita odorifera
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    here's another idea - if the internal corners were hard square edges, you'd have to turn your bottle side to side as it neared the end just to get the juice. with only rounded edges inside, the juice all pools to the middle where the straw can get it. Some bottles (ok most) have the straw curved to the one corner... so maybe this doesn't make sense, but it was my first thought and I'd already started typing...
    This is actually the reason for the curved inner shape. Simple physics. If the inside were flat there will be a fraction of the liquid that will never be sucked up by the vacuum created in the "straw". With a curved surface the bottle can always be positioned to place the straw in the centre of a pool of diminished liquid, up to the last drop.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyX View Post
    What fragrance is that again?

Banned

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Young Dro View Post
    I noticed most bottles got this shape on the inside, as shown below

there are dozens of bottles with a shape like that,

does anybody why this is?
    Were you perhaps stoned when you noticed this`
    "Ooooh maaaaaan, the shape, the shape... its getting FREAKY in here!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by makeitrainharder View Post
    What fragrance is that again?
    i *think* its Dirty English.

"No Pain, No Gain"

Post Thanks / Like

some people dont quite understand what i mean

i meant the line that curves on top with the sharp edges on the top left and right on the inside, because i have seen this on more bottles

and no Dimitri, i was not stoned lol..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Young Dro View Post
    some people dont quite understand what i mean

i meant the line that curves on top with the sharp edges on the top left and right on the inside, because i have seen this on more bottles

and no Dimitri, i was not stoned lol..
    What i said before was the answer. excess material from the sides will make the bottle have those "sharp edges" =)

"No Pain, No Gain"

Post Thanks / Like

but why do so many houses use that particular shape?

Post Thanks / Like

Its not about the house, its about the manufacturing processes *limitation*
    Last edited by ohhmygod; 7th December 2009 at 09:12 AM.

"No Pain, No Gain"

Post Thanks / Like

thanks ohhmygod

Post Thanks / Like

No worries bro

"No Pain, No Gain"