Code of Conduct

Default Looking for a nice floral scent for this spring / summer

Hey there. I'm new to fragrances - always had a bottle of some sort of cologne to wear when going out, but I've only recently (within the last 3 months or so) started considering fragrance as an important part of groming, and started exploring around a bit.

Right now, my collection is:

Burberry London
    Burberry Brit
    Kenneth Cole Black
    Armani Code
    John Varvatos
    John Varvatos Artisan
    (I'm also considering picking up a bottle of Bvlgari Soir and/or D&G The One in the future)

I don't really have anything that fits the floral side of the wheel very well, and it would be a nice fragrance to invest in for more social summer / springtime gatherings, so I've been to Sephora a few times to try out a few different fragrances.

I got a sampler of D&G Light Blue, although I'm not instantly sold on it. I agree with the reviews on the site in that it's just.. "plain," in a way. It smells nice, but it's instantly forgettable. It doesn't help that the bottle design is abysmal, too.

I also recently tried Gucci Pour Homme II... sprayed it on my wrist last time I was out at the mall, and couldn't stop smelling it on the drive home. I was thinking, "This is perfect! Such a sweet, flowery scent and yet so unique at the same time!" I brought home a sampler, but since then I've tried it a few more times and I've started to notice the cinnamon / woody notes in the middle and base, that fall into the theme of the rest of my collection too much. I wish it had less of that and more of the floral scents, but maybe my perception of it might change by the time I'm done with the sampler. It also appears to last a short time on my skin (although the silliage is phenomenal - it reaches out so wonderfully far that it forgives the short lasting time). So altogether, I'm not 100% enthused about the scent, it's just... the top notes on it are so unbelievably unique, it kills me to pass it up.

The third fragrance I've tried is Polo Double Black, which I was pleasantly surprised with. I've smelled a few polo / lacoste fragrances, and to me they've always had this air of snooty, country club golf-ness about their fragrances. (Especially Lacoste Red), and I'm not a huge fan of that. Double Black's opening is really good (if not a bit so-so, nowhere near the uniquity of GPHII), but I still get that "golfy" sense when smelling it after about an hour or so, so I'm a bit turned off by that as well.

I'm looking for something really unique that will help to round out my collection by staying away completely from woods and orientals. If you guys have any feedback at all concerning my interpretation of the three scents I described, or anything else you think I might really love, I would love to hear it.

Default Re: Looking for a nice floral scent for this spring / summer

Kenzo Power, Prada Infusion d'Homme and Dior Homme Cologne (the lighter version of the original) are all great mens fragrances with a strong floral focus that work well in warmer weather. Infusion might be the best bet as Power is quite woody and Dior Homme is still a slightly sweet / gourmand fragrance.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony87 View Post
    Kenzo Power, Prada Infusion d'Homme and Dior Homme Cologne (the lighter version of the original)...
    Great suggestions. You make like to try also :

Aramis 900 - animalic rose
    Hermes Hiris - carroty, slightly powdery Iris.

Are niche recs allowed? Heheheh. If they are I would highly recommend:

Manoumalia by LesNez
    Carnal Flower by Frederic Malle

Thanks for the replies so far-

What's a niche rec?

Sorry rec = "recommendation" I guess I shouldn't short form that.

You can read about what a niche fragrance is on this thread >>> What are Niche fragrances? And what are Luxe?

Try kenzo power and dior homme!
    SALE:Bond no.9, Armani Code Summer, Prada, Kenzo, Amouage...more!!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/310...o-Amouage-more!!

Kenzo Power/Dior homme

I like Kenzo Power better

Look into the brand new Kenzo Power Cologne when it comes out, which should be shortly...

I agree with the Kenzo Power suggestion. Haven't tried the cologne version, but the fraiche (original) is very nice.

My all-time favorite light, floral, designer scent is Eau de Cartier. Some think it leans a bit towards the feminine side, but I feel comfortable wearing it.

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120495.html
    Last edited by Big_Scooter; 8th December 2009 at 10:12 PM.

Dior Homme for buttery iris and cocoa

Caron Third Man for smokey florals

Balmain de Balmain (so unisex) for woody florals.
    I offer you perfume,
    More for its pleasure than for yours;
    You perfume perfume.

--Anonymous Ancient Greek Love Lyric

wow, I'll definitely check out Kenzo Power when it comes out. When's the release date on it?

I just got Artisan by John Varvatos, which is perfect for summer, but I'm still kinda interested in a sweeter scent with less citrus.