Code of Conduct

Default SotD Sunday 6 December

Good morning!

Another day in SL Fourreau Noir for me, I am smitten.

Happy Independence Day to fellow Finns!
    Tonight's to night to play late Mr Blackwell while watching the Independence Day Ball on the telly...
    Last edited by tigrushka; 6th December 2009 at 06:00 AM. Reason: fatal error aka sotd bug
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Default Re: SotD Sunday 6 December

Good morning all.

Happy independence day to you Tigs and to all the other celebrants.

I am joining Tigs in chez Lutens with Un Bois Vanille, i adore this scent and that is saying so much because i usually do not "adore" vanille scents. I am almost done with my sample bottle and a darling BNer ((HUGS)) has another on the way to me. It will be an early holiday for me soon

Hope you all have a fabu day, love and hugs.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

5th Avenue for me today as well. Sometimes I feel i should explain why I wear this fragrance. No one else seem to appreciate it on the boards. But no. I don't have to explain why I wear this non sofisticated frag. Oh! Now I sort of have explained that I am aware of this so that people here at basenotes understand that I am aware of this ...

Happy independence day tigrushka!
    Last edited by Novis2007; 6th December 2009 at 08:28 AM.

Hi everyone,
    Im going to a gallery showing of my wife's art today, so its the fabulously resinous Eau Lente for me today!

Happy Independence Day Finland.
    Another day in Eau de Star.

Basenotes Institution

Happy Independence Day to all our Finnish Basenoters ! Have a fun day !

Dimitri - Mira's art is wonderful - what a talented lady !

More vintage Mitsouko ..................
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 6th December 2009 at 09:58 AM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Starting the day in Amouage Jubilation XXV. We celebrate Sinterklaas today - a day later than the Dutch. Except in Switzerland we call it Samichlaus or (where I come from) Santiglaus.

So it's a day of celebrations. Happy indipendenceday, Finland!

Itsenäisyyspäivä for our Finnish friends!!!

And Mira/Dimi those ikons ROCK. I've had some courses in writing ikons and am aware of what goes into the process. Your stuff is truly inspired Mira - BRAVO!!

Gettin' chilly - think I'll continue in the gourmand mode in MY fave of all the loukhoums I've tried....
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

To quote Brielle, it feels like early Christmas here: cold, white, with cookies baked and with the parcel from Europe containing 18 decants (about 90ml) of scents that a very kind BNer had sent here to Wolfland. Wearing Penhaligons' Artemisia. I have not been able to find a single Penhaligons' that is a FBW for me, but there is something about them that keeps me trying without giving up.

Happy Independence Day to all Finns!
    Last edited by Twolf; 6th December 2009 at 11:03 AM.

Teint de Neige today
    Serendipitous by Serendipity 3 yesterday

Good morning!

Montale Soleil de Capri

It's so cold here, and this is so sunny and warm.

Hope everyone has a lovely day!

Sur la Plage

My SOTD is Parfums de Nicolaï Maharadjah.

Notes include Lavender, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Cinnamon and Clove.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Basenotes Plus

Happy Independence Day, Finland!
    Dimitri - One word for your wife's artwork: magnificent. Congratulations!

Scent twins with Petruccijc in de Nicolai Maharadjah

Take care, everyone!
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

My middle daughter is with you Brielle in SL Un Bois Vanille. She loves the sample I gave her. It's too marshmallowey for me.

I'm complimenting you both in the drier SDV by Guerlain. It's fast becoming my Sunday snug.

The two of us are confusing elder daughter who keeps asking if I'm baking a cake!

Caron Pour Un Homme
    Wishlist is pointless.

After the delicious, but rather foody SnS frags yesterday, I am taking a little refreshment in Concentree D'Orange Vert by Hermes.

After reading Lightgreen22s thread I just had to wear Cuir de Russie today (EDT) to keep me warm on this snowy morning. CdR is so soft and beautiful. So luxurious.
    "You can't change the past, but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

"Three essentials for a good life: Someone to love, somewhere to go, and something to look forward to."

Thanks to Basenoters, I "scored" a bottle of Colony by Patou. It is a classic fruity chypre that is easy to wear. I'm so glad that I had a chance to try it, because it is discontinued. Since it would have been changed due to the dreaded oakmoss base, I feel that it's better to discontinue a fragrance rather than to sell an imposter.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

This morning in the deliciously woody-peppery Hermèssence Poivre Samarcande
    by Hermès. From a sample via ubuandibme
    Last edited by kbe; 6th December 2009 at 02:33 PM.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

L'Occitane Almond Milk Body Cream, it makes my skin nice and soft and smells wonderful. One of my wintertime favorites to snuggle up in...

http://usa.loccitane.com/FO/Catalog/...prod=29LC200A8

Basenotes Plus

Vintage Samsara EDP today. Taking my mother to see Eddie Izzard this evening, mucho excitedo!
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Yesterday I smelled iris for the first time! I thought I’d remain anosmic to that note forever. Just as I’ve struggled to detect violet; just as water lilies (Nyphaea odorata) are odorless to me; just as white moss is meaningless, and 31 rue Cambon may as well be cooking oil, I was resigned that iris would never register in my nose/brain. But, ComDiva, my angel, sent some DSH oil-rich Modern Iris (which reminds me I need to get out the DSH Nouveau Gardenia), and finally the words I’d often read found a way to register: earthy, cold, scent of spring.

On my skin, the MI got a bit lost, but sitting open on my desk, it’s like keeping a bit of the garden alive. I think there are a couple of scents best sitting next to me rather than on me. But that's okay. I get to experience more than one frag a day that way. So, technically, I’m wearing the very green AbdesSalaam’s Oak Moss because I want to see how it plays against the green Modern Iris.

Winter? What winter? I’m in a garden as long as I’m at my desk.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Happy independence day, Tigs!

And Dimitri: Mira is so very talented. What beautiful icons!

I am wearing with joy Chaya's special elixir: Ambre Gris layered over AL Dark Amber. What pleasure!

Posset's Nevada Heat for morning chores & laundry. This afternoon- we'll see
    Visit my website! http://www.smelloutlandish.com/ 10% discount with code: BASENOTES

A lot to celebrate today Happy Independence Day to all Finnish Basenoters and a wonderful Samichlaus celebration to Potiron. Easy with those sweets, dear

Dimitri, the art of your wife is really exquisite, thank you for sharing.

Kbe, thank you for that great picture of Sinterklaas and explanation of our December 5th tradition

After all the sweets of yesterday I am craving something more spicy:
    Donna Karan's Black Cashmere
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Yesterday I smelled iris for the first time! I thought I’d remain anosmic to that note forever. Just as I’ve struggled to detect violet; just as water lilies (Nyphaea odorata) are odorless to me; just as white moss is meaningless, and 31 rue Cambon may as well be cooking oil, I was resigned that iris would never register in my nose/brain. But, ComDiva, my angel, sent some DSH oil-rich Modern Iris (which reminds me I need to get out the DSH Nouveau Gardenia), and finally the words I’d often read found a way to register: earthy, cold, scent of spring.

On my skin, the MI got a bit lost, but sitting open on my desk, it’s like keeping a bit of the garden alive. I think there are a couple of scents best sitting next to me rather than on me. But that's okay. I get to experience more than one frag a day that way. So, technically, I’m wearing the very green AbdesSalaam’s Oak Moss because I want to see how it plays against the green Modern Iris.

Winter? What winter? I’m in a garden as long as I’m at my desk.

Congratulations Quarry! I can appreciate what a gift this is because I struggled with it too - then one day it just appeared to me in the form of Chanel No19 - the current edt, actually. I'd been wearing No19 for years, but was somehow oblivious to the iris. Now I seem to be able to detect it anytime it's in a fragrance, and it's possibly my single favorite floral note, rose being the other contender.

I'm in vintage Opium today. That other thread made the decision for me, but that's okay - I sometimes like having others tell me what I want - less pressure for me. I'm quite happy with the results.

Have a great day, everyone!

Dimitri- your wife's icons are incredible. My mother is Russian Orthodox and she has a collection of icons- she would SWOON over your wife's art. I'm speechless at the beauty.

Well, big football (NFL) night here, and I am making chicken parmigiana! YUMMY!

Do any of you ever wish you could consult with BNers about your scent on those days you just can't choose....falling back on MPG Or des Indes, warm & comforting. I *need* more warm scents. Yes, Bois des Iles, I'm talking to you.

Tabarome Private Collection Creed

I fished my Shalimar mini out of the Last Chance sample box this morning I still can't wear this one, it's too sharp on me at the opening. Switched to Timbuktu, and then to a Mitsouko sample post-nap. There is something compulsive about this one. I'm not sure that I need to own more than one chypre at a time though.

Enjoy Mr Izzard, Libertine!

I'm wearing a sample that Mysticknot sent of Vanille dîvine des Tropiques by La Maison de la Vanille. I really enjoy the tropical florals/vanilla mix in this (vanilla, tuberose, hyacinth, jasmine, heliotrope, gardenia, aldehyde) It's creamy, sweet, feminine and charming. There is a sampler set of the entire line on Lucky Scent that is calling my name...

Thank you for the comments about Mira's work - Im very proud of her talents and efforts.
    She (and I) send you all a whopping big H1N1-free hug! x

SJP Covet for a damp and muddy charity walk. It does have a foetid, vegetal quality to it, I suppose.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Riannon View Post
    a wonderful Samichlaus celebration to Potiron. Easy with those sweets, dear

That made me laugh, Riannon. Because just as I was reading your post I was thinking to myself "hmm I think I need another "Schoggistängeli" (sort of a long praliné)". But now I'll recondsider.
    Btw, I love your avartar.

SotD was Amouage Dia. SotE is Chanel CdR inspired by Lightgreen22's thread. I tried this a year ago and found it nice but it was my least favourite of the Exclusifs I had tried. But now, a year later it suddenly hit me: This is good stuff, real good stuff. Thanks Lightgreen22 for bringing my attention back to CdR.

SJP Covet for a damp and muddy charity walk.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

I'm failing to celebrate Finnish independence day properly (we packed the mini flag away already), but I did have a glass of bubbly last night.

I forced myself to break away from Alien because the obsession was getting a bit unhealthy. I'm in Kenzo Amour instead. It's very nice, but it's no Alien. What the hell is wrong with me?

Basenotes Institution

Angel Liquer de Parfum by Thierry Mugler

Happy Independence Day Tigs!
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Happy anniversary to all Finnish BN'ers Dimitri,I found Mira's work very inspiering! Thumbs up from me I had a really bad start of the day today...My dad was suppose to fetch me for work,but never showed up...I didn't reach him on the phone either Got rather worried,but had to call for a taxi to get to work in time...Only problem is that I had no airtime on my phone and the taxi cost money I didn't have I eventually used the bf's phone.Well,at least I got there ...about 15 minutes late.My dad called later..he ad overslept! No sotd for me,but sote is Musc Ravageur.

Jolie Madame today. Take care, all.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Dimitri, your wife's art is incredible! Such a gift!

I am wearing an old favorite, C&E Evelyn.

Although I think this is a perfume that smells better outdoors, I was wearing
    Voleur de Roses today, a busy Sunday spent in the house, with a lot of cooking and ironing.

Staying with the Hermes theme, I've moved on to Kelly Caleche for the afternoon.

Congrats to all our Finnish BNers, and Happy Sinterklaas (however you spell it) to all who continue to celebrate.Happy Independence Day, Finland!

Dimitri - Mira's work is spectacular. I'm rather partial to St. Catherine... Oh dear. I just made a strange and not entirely comfortable connection with my love of fireworks...

Believe I will make it scent triplets with Petruccijc and RHM inParfums de Nicolai Maharadjah
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Lollia Always...for the grapefruit note

Finally decided on Timbuktu. I enjoyed viewing your wife's beautiful art, Dimitri! And Happy Independence Day to our BN sisters and brothers in Finland!

Blog Entries

Hi all!

My Lutens-a-thon continues unabated, with a morning dosage of Clair de Musc.

Then, as Clair got down to its quiet basenotes, I put some Sa Majesté la Rose on my other arm.

Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Happy Independence Day, Finns!

Count me among those completely amazed by your wife's work, Dimitri. Wow. Stunning icons.

((((Ineespenes,)))) here's to a smoother start tomorrow.

Lol, Novis, just letting you know that I know that you know that I know that you know. Being enlightened is good, yes?

Happy Sinterklaas Day to you all, too! My sisters and I put our shoes out every year until we moved out, and even after my dad would call us and casually mention that St. Nicholas had been by.

Today I'm testing my very first Bond, Madison Soiree (thank you, rtamara! ). DH immediately liked it (total bonus, as you all know ). It is very pretty-- soapy, clean, sparkly in sort of the same way Eau Premiere is. I'm not really a soapy-clean fume type of gal, but this one might be fb-worthy. Anyway, anything DH likes deserves a second look!

Hope you're all having a relaxing Sunday.
    Last edited by Sunnyfunny; 7th December 2009 at 12:23 AM.

Happy Independence Day to our Finnish friends, and happy Sinterklaas and Samichlaus!

Mira really does gorgeous work.

Nuka, I went through an Alien addiction phase. It passed, though. I still love the smell on my clothes (particularly of the oil), but not as much on me any more.

SotD: Spiritueuse Double Vanille. Two days in a row of gourmands is probably too much for me, especially because it's not my favorite category. But I was going to a friend's holiday baking party, and SDV seemed perfect.

The good news at the party was that a friend was wearing a distinctive chypre, which turned out to be Paloma. The bad news is that during our greeting hug, it somehow got on my sweater. It's too strong for my tastes, and doesn't go very well with SDV.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

I thought I would celebrate the 1st snow of the season with a bit of Michael Storer's Winter Star. If ever there was a frag that says winter, this is it.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

summer means fireflys

I'm wearing Bulgari Blu Notte today. I finally went to see the movie New Moon with a few co-workers. (Loved it!)

Dimitri, thanks for sharing Mira's beautiful icons. I really enjoyed seeing them.

Happy Independence Day to all the Finnish BNers and happy Sinterklaas too!
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Purple Label by RL
    Gary

Mira's paintings are gorgeous--I also am attracted to St. Catherine. I have always loved medieval and renaissnce style painting, and I know I am not the only one!

SotD was a 4-way iris test:

Van Cleef & Arpels Bois d'Iris--iris starts rooty but later turns creamy with buzzy woods and some powdery vanilla

Serge Lutens Iris Silver Mist--iris is rooty and damp, with notes of dirt and rotting wood chips

Chanel 28 La Pausa--rooty but refined iris that is also a bit leafy-green, and with a drydown similar to Bel Respiro (soft musk)

And my comparator Dior Homme EDT--more balanced than Bois d'Iris, but also more masculine. Women may prefer the pretty and light fragrance from the VC&A, which ultimately seems like a less soapy Prada Infusion d'Iris.

SotN is Tom Ford Amber Absolute, my first time spraying from an atomizer. Big mistake! Turns out AA is more concentrated than most extraits I own. This one will have to be dabbed from now on!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Nukapai View Post
    I'm failing to celebrate Finnish independence day properly (we packed the mini flag away already), but I did have a glass of bubbly last night.

I forced myself to break away from Alien because the obsession was getting a bit unhealthy. I'm in Kenzo Amour instead. It's very nice, but it's no Alien. What the hell is wrong with me?
    Abducted by Aliens perhaps?
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.