Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: December Blind 3x3 Sniff

OK, I'll talk through how it works on me.

It does start with a certain freshness. I wouldn't call it "fresh" but it has a freshness, or a coolness to it. Fresh floral. Early drydown is floral and fruity and Oriental (i.e. it becomes Oriental to me, it doesn't start off that way) - it is definitely a warm frag at this point 9and, I think, overall, apart from those fleeting few moments at the very beginning). Late drydown is what I mentioned above as being to my nose a generic sweet sandalwoody drydown.

I guessed jasmine because you said the tea might have a hint, and there are jasmine flowers on the package. Heh heh. Oh well.

Twolf, is this a British celeb fragrance? I am gathering it's not a specific British house but that there is a more tenuous UK connection?

Please don't give up on us, I will keep working on this!

Another guess: orange blossom?

And am I correct in assuming that the ginger guess was a no-go?
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

OK, so here are the English houses I know off the top of my head:

Floris
    Penhaglions
    Czech and Speake
    Creed
    Ormonde Jayne

Although, the way our discoveries were hinted together....perhaps it's a celebuscent from an English personage?
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

*~~________________________________________~~*

Blog Entries

Just a couple of quick questions,

Is this fragrance listed in Basenotes?

Are the notes you're using from BN or from somewhere else?

Yes to plum?

Thinking through my Brit celebrities - is it a Kylie?
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Kylie Minogue is Australian, isn't she?

None of the Kate Moss or Posh Beckham offerings seem to fit...
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

Blog Entries

I guess it can't be Amaranthine because I don't see honey listed.

I hope i am not making any mistakes here. You are both right in assuming an English connection, which is not the house.

Quote Originally Posted by YouCanCallMeMo View Post
    Although, the way our discoveries were hinted together....perhaps it's a celebuscent from an English personage?
    YouCanCallMeMo you are very, very close with this.

The fragrance is in the BN directory but the notes aren't.

Not Amaranthine.

Orange blossom and ginger are not in this perfume according to the list I have from Twolf.

Blog Entries

Is it Penhaligon's Bluebell? That's a British carnation-heavy scent with notes similar to what we're finding...

My Google-fu is weak today....

Osmanthus? Nag champa?

Whatever the floral is, it smells sweet to me, sweet and perfume-y. It doesn't smell green at all to my nose.

Hmmm... something by Elizabeth Taylor maybe?
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

Not Bluebell. There is no osmanthus or nag-champa. And not related to Elizabeth Taylor either. I'm sure Twolf will give you some hints as soon as she shows up but until then keep the guesses coming.

Burberry London?

I don't think the house is English.

Gardenia?

I think I'm starting to go a bit mad...like when you say a word over and over in your head and it starts becoming completely nonsensical. But with my nose.

Oh, darn, I forgot that bit....OK, so associated with England/Britain/UK (Yes, I am one of those rare Americans that knows the difference between those!) but not from a British house....

Possibly a celebuscent...For all the BBC Radio 4 I listen to, you'd think I'd have more British celebrities filed away in my head.

hmm....I'm not sure this particular celebrity is much talked about on BBC Radio 4...
    no gardenia.

Ok, nobody goes mad, please? The mystery flower is ylang-ylang, and let me tell you -- the whole scent is not centered around ylang-ylang alone.

It is a French house with a British celebrity (hehehe) connection. Right, DD?

Although the fragrance is listed in the BN directory, there is no list of notes (just like DD pointed out) and only a few reviews. There are different note pyramids for this fragrance on OsMoz and Fragrantica, we have chosen to go by the notes listed by the house itself on their web-site.

Now that we have figured out the main notes -- peach, freesia, lily of the valley, ylang-ylang, cinnamon, clove, sandalwood, honey and something vanillic but not vanilla per se -- would you please, sniffers, comment on the longevity and notes of the drydown?

So far, neither the house nor the scent has been mentioned anywhere on this thread.

Mass market? Designer? Niche?

yay, Twolf is here!

Little hint. YouCanCallMeMo unknowingly mentioned the English connection in a recent post.

Well, I got kind of moderate longevity, I guess. The absence of truly strong basenotes incline me to go back to drugstore or lower end department store type. It wore VERY linear on me...that mintiness lasted all of 90 seconds, and then the floral middle lasted for 3 hours or so and then just faded out, no surprises or treats in the end....

I'd guess the vanilla is Tonka?

Right you are, it is tonka bean, but there is much more in it.

Are you all guys in agreement that it is either a designer fragrance or a mass market creation?

Nobody particularly likes it, right? No fans at first couple of sniffs? How would you explain it: is A sort of poorly made? are the notes too jumbled? too many notes? does it use the ingredients that scream "cheap"? is it too difficult to comprehend and you would like to wear it again to understand it better? how about dabbing it on a piece of paper and see what it does there? How about finding a small sprayer and spraying it on someone else and sniffing them?

Too many questions?
    Last edited by Twolf; 18th December 2009 at 01:51 AM.

Well...it's too sweet and linear for my tastes. That, and it really does remind me of Estee Lauder Beautiful, and that is such an awkward teenage association for me...

I'm desperately searching through my recent posts now....and I'm coming up kind of empty. Huh.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Nobody particularly likes it, right? No fans at first couple of sniffs? How would you explain it: is A sort of poorly made? are the notes too jumbled? too many notes? does it use the ingredients that scream "cheap"? is it too difficult to comprehend and you would like to wear it again to understand it better? how about dabbing it on a piece of paper and see what it does there? How about finding a small sprayer and spraying it on someone else and sniffing them?

Too many questions?
    I certainly don't hate it (I'm a sucker for carnation, even if it is bubblegummy and short-lived)

To my nose, it's toploaded, as I said before. The notes are fine and smell good together, but I think that focusing on the bubblegum aspect sort of cheapens it, or at least aims it squarely at a mass market.

I forced a coworker with very different skin than me to wear it, too. She's the one who picked out the lily of the valley and said that it smelled like a Christmas candle once the bubblegum died down.

Now that I'm off work, I can devote some time to researching...

Mr.R -- good for you! Ask that co-worker of yours more questions, will you? About A, of course!

Nice job so far, guys.
    Last edited by Twolf; 18th December 2009 at 02:00 AM.

The candle thing is curious...when I googled the notes, I got two pages of candle listings and no exact matches for perfume!

I can't believe I'm typing this...but, FCUK Her?

Ugh, ok, I'm going to bed...I hope you come up with something, awake people!

I think I am with CallMeMo re: linearity. It is (linear). The drydown is the main thing that's got me thinking mass market - it is the same drydown I feel like I've smelled in so many cheap/sweet frags lately. Is there amber in there, too? Benzoin? Are we missing notes throughout (top, middle, bottom) or in one of those in particular?

I don't think I would call this "jumbled" - and as far as hard to comprehend, well, clearly I'm having some difficulty comprehending it (re: the ylang ylang) but it doesn't smell complex (to me anyway).

I'll give this a spray on some paper in a bit - as of right now I've got no other humans in the house to spray. Maybe I'll try it on one of my dogs?

This is just an underwhelming scent imo.

OK, just sniffing my wrist again.

Coconut? Some kind of tropical flower?

EDIT: caramel?

EDIT EDIT: some kind of wussy-musk?

Also, the drydown, at the very end, is the most 'gourmand' stage of this, I think.
    Last edited by LedByMyNose; 18th December 2009 at 02:37 AM.

Lbmn, there are a few more notes listed, one of which I would call an exotic flower.
    It is not fron FCUK

Blog Entries

Wow, there isn't a single listing on Fragrantica with those notes...

What about Kate Moss? She has some scents of here own, but that doesn't count as a French house. She's done ads for YSL perfumes, as well as Chanel. Could that be a connection? She seems to be a (hahaha) celebrity...

EDIT: Could this be one of those Opium flankers? They're supposedly carnation-ish.

EDIT 2: Just went to YSL.com and they don't list notes. Twolf said she pulled notes from the house's site, so I must be barking up the wrong tree...

EDIT 3: Is is Intimately Night for Her by David & Victoria Beckham?

EDIT 4: DOH! There are notes for this one on BN. I fail.

EDIT 5: Kate Moss also did ads for Bulgari perfumes. Is that worth pursuing?
    Last edited by rogalal; 18th December 2009 at 03:14 AM.

The notes listed at Fragrantica are not the same as the manufacturer notes, Twolf gave me. Well...some of them are.
    No on KM. A very different type of celebrity this one.
    Last edited by darkdreams; 18th December 2009 at 02:53 AM.

OK, am I nuts? I sprayed this on some paper about 15 mins ago and I'm getting...green...in the opening. This is very different on paper than on my skin (and for what it's worth my skin also tends to make things sweeter/gourmandier). And is peach the only fruit here? I feel like I smell mandarin (orange? something citrus?). Is there something ozonic/aquatic/watery in this? Water lily? Anything?

I cannot stop thinking CK Eternity (fruitier version) about this on the paper. Which isn't what it smells like on my skin AT ALL. Damn. I think the dogs are gonna get dabbed.
    Last edited by LedByMyNose; 18th December 2009 at 03:29 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by darkdreams View Post
    The notes listed at Fragrantica are not the same as the manufacturer notes, Twolf gave me. Well...some of them are.
    No on KM. A very different type of celebrity this one.
    Doh! Ok.

I was also looking at scents Naomi Campbell has modeled for, but I'll assume this has nothing to do with models...

Blog Entries

OK, I'm giving up and going to bed.

Some parting questions, or, to be more honest, shameless begging for hints:

Confirmed: French house
    Confirmed: British tie-in somehow

More details please??? The frag is somehow linked to a British celebrity or something, the type not regularly discussed on Radio 4 (a quick google search tells me that Radio 4 is the intellectual BBC radio station, focussing on politics and culture, so I'm guessing this "celebrity" is either really trashy or really obscure - or maybe both). The aforementioned "celebrity" is not a model in perfume ads and sample A is not a celebuscent??? Or is it something to do with the name of the scent?)

Confirmed (?): Not YSL, Chanel, FCUK, Estee Lauder, or Burberry or anyone else British.

We seem to agree that this is a lower-end scent. I personally think designer, but Twolf is leading us towards the downmarket with her questions. Maybe. Sort of....

I've done searches for any names involving London, British, Britain, UK, England, English, Plum, Fairy, Dance, Ballet, and countless others and come up with nothing.

I've gone through the hundreds of perfumes listed in the celebrity scent listings as OzMos looking for British celebs and only gotten the 3 or 4 that have already been ruled out (Kate Moss, Victoria Beckham, Naomi Campbell, etc)

I've gone through the Fragrantica note search for tons of combinations of the notes given and come up with nothing with a British tie-in, other than stuff from British houses or British designers.

Urgh.

I hope this gets easier with B and C...

See you all tomorrow!
    Last edited by rogalal; 18th December 2009 at 05:25 AM.

You guys are cracking me up, with your arbitrarily dabbing your coworkers/pets! You all are a blast to read. Keep up the highly entertaining work!
    Last edited by Sunnyfunny; 18th December 2009 at 04:20 PM. Reason: spelling

I'll try to answer a few questions without really giving you clues. Forgive me, but that is not in my job descripion. Twolf will reveal more soon, don't worry.
    The house is French and the celebrity has English ties although NOT the birth. The reason why it might not be on radio much is not because this is a trashy celebrity. Far, very far from that! Remember, this is not your usual "celebuscent" although you can't deny this person't celebrity.Even here on BN there is at least one huge admirer...
    rogalal is guessing mass marketed. Does everyone agree with him?
    Ledbmynose, there is no water lily. Almost all the flowers have been mentioned. There is one more "exotic" one. But I am not even sure that it is truly the flower that is used in perfumes.
    There are a few more notes you did not discover. Most of them in the base.
    Last edited by darkdreams; 18th December 2009 at 12:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post

I've done searches for any names involving London, British, Britain, UK, England, English, Plum, Fairy, Dance, Ballet, and countless others and come up with nothing.
    In this phrase you are mentioning the English connection as well as you are getting close to that celebrity (in a very unintentional way).

More hints:

-- Surprise, surprise! A is not a designer fragrance, neither it is a mass market scent.
    -- The NICHE house who put it on the market is from Paris but it was named after a British celebrity, after that celebrity passed away.
    -- The scent itself is fairly new -- we have identified that and I have confirmed that it was created after 1990's -- let me tell you now it was put on the market in this, 21st century.
    -- Many of this houses' bottles are done in the same style, as it is with many niche houses. .
    -- This scent is present somewhere in My Wardrobe.
    -- A kind BNer sent me sufficient amount of A to be included into the sniff, back in the summer of 2009. I have never owned a bottle.

Doncha love it how DD says "it is not in my job description"?
    Last edited by Twolf; 18th December 2009 at 12:34 PM.

Oh man, I feel bad Twolf. We've forced you to give us help. OK, I need to do some things around the house but I'll be back to try and figure this out. My first thought upon reading your post was "did someone do a Jade Goody tribute at a niche house?"

Now, I suppose, we need some help from our readers.

Oh, now I have ideas.....I went through Twolf's wardrobe last night, but I was so tired I gave up and went to bed. Let me try it while fueled by the magic power of COFFEE.

I'm thinking that the "celebrity" must have been a dancer, perhaps?

I'm checking Histoires de Parfums right now, but nothing really fits...1876 was Mata Hari, who was, after all, a dancer (but not English) and 1804 was George Sand, who was English, but not involved with dance. Both note listings on the website have some crossover with what we are discussing, but not all...

Oh, the things I learn. FUN FACTS (none of which contribute to IDing scent A)

The great British Ballerina Margot Fonteyn was the proud owner of the torso used for the Schipparelli Shocking bottle. She is a deceased English "celebrity," but I can't seem to find any perfume named in her honor. Shocking is a vintage scent.

Carla Fracci is a ballerina who now has her own fragrance house, with two offerings. She is neither English nor dead.

I found a reference in a post to a fragrance called "Alicia," named for a dancer. I hoped it was for the great British ballerina Alicia Markova, but, alas, I cannot find a fragrance named for her anywhere.

I perused the list of L'Artisan's offerings, as their scents tend to run linear and short-lived on my skin, much like this one did...but no candidates emerged.

I also checked out Parfums D'Orsay, because Primrose's one woman fanclub has taught me that "his" house was revived after his death. The good Count was born in France, but spent much of his time in London, so there's your dead English celebrity of yore bit....But, alas, there are only 2 post 2000 releases from this house that I could find, and they didn't seem right.

No, not a dancer, but has to do with Fine Arts anyway.

Wait, Mo, you got it, DD referred to Primrose in one of her earlier posts as being a fan of Comte D'Orsay.

When she said, "One Basenoter is still an avid fan, " Primrose's love for the Comte was my immediate thought....

Off to review the house list again....

Femme de Dandy was released in 2001, and only has two reviews here, but they both refer to boozy notes that I am just not getting out of Sample A. This is the only fragrance listed as a feminine that has been released since 2000.

>Is stumped<

Top: Bergamot, peach;
    Heart: Freesia, lily of the valley, ylang-ylang, aniseed flower (DD referred to it as "more exotic" and I suspect some of your perceived as "mint"), asian cardamom, carrot (responsible for that sweet comfortable powder Mr.R has pointed out), cinnamon, clove;
    Base: Tobacco, vetiver, sandalwood, tolu balsam, benzoin, cistus labdanum (which technically is NOT a rose), honey, tonka bean (no rum, musk or vanilla that I also can detect).

These are the notes for Femme de Dandy I got from D'Orsay website and the BNer who sent it to me was Aiona (who is expecting!).

Congratulations!
    Last edited by Twolf; 18th December 2009 at 02:49 PM.

Interesting...the website listing I found just says:

Beginning with a rich fruity scent, it grows into full flavoured fragrances with high floral and woody notes associated with woody and balsamic scents and musk
    It was gone-gone-gone on me before I ever got the woody/balsamic/musky notes...which is a bummer, because those would have been my favorite part!

OK, I'm off to Christmas shop for my kiddies...I'll dab a bit of Scent B on for my SotD, seeing as it will obviously take me time and several applications to get an idea!

PS: oh, I actually really like B so far...If we hadn't already had niche, I would have pegged this one for the special snowflake. I'm getting some balsam or cedar, perhaps a bit of almond? Be back later!
    Last edited by YouCanCallMeMo; 18th December 2009 at 02:49 PM.

Hang on with your descriptions of B, I will do an intro and, perhaps, DD will do some pictures for B, OK?

Lips, zipped.

Ohhhh! You guys guessed it and I was not even looking!
    Congratulations! I hope you did not use all your energy on this one. It was tough, wasn't it? I did not smell sample A, could anyone satisfy my curiosity? Is that minty note you mentioned the anise flower?

Here's an image to go with Sample B.

Last edited by darkdreams; 18th December 2009 at 04:29 PM.

Blog Entries

Good detective work. I was stumped!

Aw, well done YouCanCallMeMo! I am pretty sure it would have taken me ages to solve this, and it's possible I never would have.

Going to apply Sample B now but will keep quiet until Twolf posts the intro.

Hey, I don't think she'd mind if you started talking about B.

Yay! OK. First impressions: spicy, sweet, boozy, leaning towards the masculine side of things. There's some kind of sweet fruit here, maybe something candied.

initial note guesses:

- apple or plum or candied citrus of some kind (orange would be my first guess) - maybe even pineapple?
    - spices: cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, ginger
    - tobacco (specifically pipe tobacco - this smells just like putting my face in a bag of my dad's pipe tobacco when I was a kid)
    - honey, especially at the top
    - amber
    - woods
    - boozey something or other - cognac would be my first guess
    - resin
    - benzoin/something vanillic

This is drying down now and smelling even more masculine. I realize anyone can wear any fragrance but this, to me, smells like a 'manly' frag - nothing girlish about this. I find this quite strong and for that reason don't like it much, so far.

EDIT: This reminds me somewhat of Tom Ford Amber Absolute, it's boozy like the AA is. I prefer the AA, as well, it seems much better done than this. I want to call this a niche frag.
    Last edited by LedByMyNose; 18th December 2009 at 06:35 PM.

Scent B is also a pale yellow, almost clear.

My first application had me noticing sweet notes...I thought about Baklava, which is made of honey, nuts, butter, and rosewater. So, perhaps some honey, nut, and rose notes?

On a refresher application, I'm noticing some different elements.

From the tube and right up against your nose, there is something medicinal going on...it tickles my nose and makes me want to sneeze. Eucalyptus, perhaps?

I strongly suspect cedar is among the woods, which continues that bracing, medicinal feel.

It is a bit sweet, although not even in the realm of most current feminine offerings, which inclines me to think that LBMN is on to something with her masculine guess.

And a quick hint question: When we talked about the tea last go-round, I grabbed that plum cinnamon tea because we were still talking about plums....but, it turns out that the fruit note was actually peach! So, should I have been using the Peach Black Tea for inspiration? (Thus putting the Plum Cinnamon tea back in consideration....)

All right, we have another sniffer wanting to call B "niche". Would it be fun if B turns out to be mass marketed, dont'you all think? Some of the notes have been identified correctly, and -- would not you agree? -- just a glance at them makes you think that A and B are very similar? But this is just looking at the notes that Ms.L initially sniffed.

Now we are waiting for Mr.R and his comments about A and initial impressions of B. His lunch break is soon, I hope.

My itinerary: I am off today, the whole weekend and Monday morning. I will be performing household chores, but I am always here. I also tend to edit a lot because I type fast and then start thinking and, besides, English is neither mine or DD's native language.

Blog Entries

Woo Hoo!!! You guys got it!!

(thank goodness that's over)

Of course, I'm behind the times, sitting here at work in a cloud of Sample A. Doh!

Teas -- as a set -- are my favorites: all black and all British. None of them is particularly tied up with one of the scents that we are sniffing, they are included for your enjoyment (perhaps, you do not drink tea at all, I do not exclude that possibility) and inspiration only.

They are: Cinnamon Plum, Peach, Spice and English Breakfast. However, if I were forced to tie one of them with B, it would be Peach.