Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: December Blind 3x3 Sniff

Here's a question for the sniffers: This sounds like a fragrance that is likely to have a base of white musk. Are you smelling musk, or not?

Mo, coffee is what this fragrance is based around.

H, very good question! Anybody care to sniff for musk? Or, what do you feel in the drydown besides that "phantom" frankinsence? Any other conventional notes, like woods? amber? etc.

So far, we have got:
    -- vanilla;
    -- spices;
    -- florals (one specific flower);
    -- coffee.

Are you enjoying C more than A? What would you pay for a 100ml bottle of C?

Blog Entries

I'm getting maybe hazelnut or caramel, now that I'm wrapping my head around the coffee idea. Is whipped cream a perfumery note??

It's still more of a little girl fruit scent on me than anything else, so I'm having to sniff around all that sweet fruity candy to get to anything else.

If it's coffee, it's one of those Starbucks choco-mocha monstrosities with the Italian fruit syrup in it, topped with whipped cream, caramel sauce, candy bar pieces, and a cherry...

Haunani, if there's musk in here, it's such a generic white musk that I'm not even smelling it. But I feel the same way about whatever flower is in here - whatever it is, it's so generic that I'm not sure how it matters to the scent.

I'm assuming that this is a CSP, because it's a sticky-sweet gourmand. Of course, there are dozens of CSP's, so I'm working my way through the reviews and notes and trying to narrow them down. Already eliminated via PM: Coeur de Vahiné

Now I'm leaning towards Vanille Mokha, based on the hints above.

EDIT: to answer Twolf's question, I think I liked A better than C, thanks to the carnation and lily (two notes I enjoy). I've gotten terrible longetivity from both, which is especially shocking considering that C is a gourmand and they usually stick around, based solely on the big vanilla molecules.
    Last edited by rogalal; 20th December 2009 at 12:45 AM.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Agree with your perception. C is a fragrance I sleep in now, every other night --however, the longevity is quite decent on me -- I can smell it often times when I get up. But again, despite my dry skin, almost everything lasts on me.

Do not sweat, Mr.R. It is NOT a CSP fragrance.

How about the price range?

Oh, great. The only two notes that I specifically got were Chocolate and Frankincense, and it turns out that neither one is actually there. >throws hands up in the air<

I've reapplied now....I still say that topnote smells more like cheap chocolate than it does coffee, (And, I even went and sniffed my bag of French Roast to be sure) but, we can call it coffee if we must. Maybe it's one of those "General Foods International Coffees," and we can all sit and talk about our feelings while we sniff it in smug satisfaction.

Now, that "Frank" note that isn't....again, it's really incense to my nose, but let me reevaluate under the assumption that it's some kind of spice. I suppose it could be one of those Penzey's spice blends that has Cinnamon, Cloves, Anise, and Nutmeg. Probably not what we're looking for, huh. Maybe it's more of a cassia cinnamon?

There is definitely a wood of some sort in there. If it's not supposed to be frankincense, perhaps it's an odd cedar, cypress, or myrrh. (grumbles a bit about being Catholic and knowing incense when I smell it...)

Obviously, my Google-fu is stronger than my nose-fu. Help me out, fellow sniffers!
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

*~~________________________________________~~*

Blog Entries

Is there patchouli in here? That would explain a lot...

Hallelluja! You got patch, Mr.R. Yes.

PS If and when you have a chance please Pm me how do you cook your ziti? Or, perhaps, post it in OffTopic, if you would?

If that's patch, it's a weak version. My first thought was "Chocolate and incense, it's an Angel knockoff, with frankincense instead of patch."

But, then, we know by now how sharp my nose is.

ps. More typing at the same time. Sigh.
    Last edited by YouCanCallMeMo; 20th December 2009 at 01:18 AM.
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

Please do not dwell on spices that much, I also feel cinnamon, but the pyramid just specifies "spices". That's it.

If pressed and if in your shoes, I would also say "incense", but it is not just there.

Yes, patchouli note is sweet and weak, but it is present.

Musk, Mo? Mr.R said "No".
    Woods? Amber? Florals?

BN is slow all of a sudden. My screens are loading 50-55 seconds each!

If there is musk there, it's wimpy. But then, if they thought that this was patchouli, then who knows? Maybe they'd say there's musk here. I'm not getting it, though. I keep sniffing for it, and my nose burns at the synthetic vanilla before I can get any of the rich earthiness of a good musk.

I'm really struggling to find any other notes, here. Mr. R?

Oddly enough, my Googling for the notes we have so far turns up Bond Number 9 New Haarlem and A*Men as the most likely candidates...neither of which is on the house list guessed by Mr. R and confirmed by Twolf.

I suspect that this frag is probably a lot less costly than either of those two fragrances.

Wow, this is a challenge! Twolf mentioned that the fragrance has a particular flower. Does it smell exotic -- like ylang-ylang or frangipani?

Is there any chance there is coconut?

I don't think it's ylang ylang. It's not a sharp or tart flower in any way...I'm wondering about spicy, nutty flowers. I'm crap at naming different flower notes. Any input on a flower that might be spicy, nutty, or incensey?

Quote Originally Posted by YouCanCallMeMo View Post
    I don't think it's ylang ylang. It's not a sharp or tart flower in any way...I'm wondering about spicy, nutty flowers. I'm crap at naming different flower notes. Any input on a flower that might be spicy, nutty, or incensey?
    Wow, no, not apart from the carnation/clove connection, which doesn't sound like it applies to this fragrance. And it sounds like you have a much better handle on incense than I do.

Well, if I'm smelling incense when it isn't there, I don't know how great my nose is for it! LOL

Curiously, I like to sleep in incense-centric frags. I think it's interesting that Twolf sleeps in this one...I credit what I am now going to call "Fantom Phrank" out of silliness.

But...I see there is some flower here...watered down tuberose? I don't know. That mocha frappachino is drowning out everything else.

There is no musk listed as a note in C.

Mo, you are so right calling this flower nutty, spicy and incensy at the same time! So right!

I better call it a day and see you all in the morning.

DD might come back tonight, though.
    Last edited by Twolf; 20th December 2009 at 02:24 AM.

Blog Entries

Well, it's definitely not New Haarlem (another favorite of mine) or A*Men....

I only guessed patchouli because that could explain both the fake chocolate and the phantom incense, as well as the caramel.

So Twolf has confirmed that the house is one of these: Laurence Dumont (who do dirt-cheap gourmands, hence my guess), B&BW, Avon, or Disney

Blog Entries

Testing my detective abilities, I'll make a couple of guesses:

Laurence Dumont Vanilla Orientalle, which Twolf describes as "something comforting" in her SOTD post of September 11th, 2008 (the day her washer went on the fritz)

And on June 4th, 2008, Twolf wore Laurence Dumont Vanille Bourbon to bed - she said C is something she occasionally wears to bed!

That's as good as I'll be able to do tonight. I made too much ziti (you have to make a giant pile of it before you cover it with cheese and bake it), so I'm eating unbaked ziti for dinner. It's tasty, but just not the same. I'll have the real thing at a dinner party tomorrow...

I am trying to catch up with everything was guessed so far. Maybe I can give a little clue: this one is NOT in the BN directory.

I used to be having them both LD vanillas, but I sent one of them to Ms. Tao and left another one behind in TX, I miss Vanilla Orientalle once in a while and have not found a replacement yet.

Agree with DD: C is NOT in the Directory, although the House is and you are right -- it is one of the 4 Mr.R has mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by YouCanCallMeMo View Post
    I'm really struggling to find any other notes, here.

There is not much left in the notes department. The whole thing is "something pleasantly cheesy" as described in the preview.

Wake up and smell the C, sniffers!

They might need a cup of their morning java first.
    Last edited by Twolf; 20th December 2009 at 02:31 PM.

AHA! I bet it's a BBW, the directory is really spotty with their constantly rotating lines.

Although "cheesy" could mean it's from The Mouse. But, who makes coffee perfume for kids? Hmmm......

I needed a break from the sweet, so I slept in vintage No5 and am in Vol de Nuit this morning. After my shower I'll venture back in to Sugarland.

Morning all. I've been trying to "play along from home", and here I am with my morning java and no further ahead, either.

A couple of questions/thoughts to consider, which may not be any help at all, since I'm baffled so far:

• It's possible that the fragrance is brand new or long-discontinued.
    • What is the consistency of the "juice"? Could C be a home fragrance of some sort?

Haha! Ms. H, you are always so good at guesses. I am going to wait for Twolf to answer, but...you came soo close again. Amazing!
    Last edited by darkdreams; 20th December 2009 at 04:38 PM.

H., thanks for playing with us. It is a commercial fragrance, not custom- or home-made, and not used as a home scent, but you are right, it was short-lived on the market -- after two years it has been discontinued and there is no word about it on the manufacturer's website.

However, I know of three more BNers who enjoyed it at one time or another -- one introduced me to it with the full bottle, another one was selling it at a Marketplace not so long ago and the third one has it in the blue field atop of the Own section of her Wardrobe (since it is NOT in the Directory) with a positive comment beside it.
    Last edited by Twolf; 21st December 2009 at 04:17 PM.

Ms.H has just submitted a correct answer via PM. We are still waiting for our sniffers to get up with their Arabica or Java and chime in.

Hint for the java-sipping sniffers: Where might you look for a discontinued fragrance?

Blog Entries

OK, so I'm searching e-Bay now, guessing that it's the only place references to a discontinued mass-market scent will turn up.

There's no Avon perfume with coffee or cafe or mocha coming up.

Bath & Body Works has something called "Mocha My Day" and something called "Double Mocha Espresso" (but DME seems to be a home fragrance...)

There's a Mickey Mouse cologne for boys, as well as a Mickey Mouse EDT for men , but none of the eBay sellers list notes (I guess your average person in the market for Micket Mouse EDT probably doesn't really care what it smells like...)

Wow, and looking further, there's a Minnie Mouse for girls as well as a Minnie Mouse for Women. eBay even has someone selling a "vintage" Minnie Mouse amber glass perfume bottle.

And there's no Laurence Dumont on eBay.

Hmmmm....

EDIT: B&BW also had an old limited edition called Vanilla Noir.

EDIT #2: And a Black Raspberry Vanilla.

EDIT #3: Wow. Disney makes a perfume for every single thing it releases. Every movie has a perfume. Every classic character. That's So Raven has a perfume, as does High School Musical. Scary...
    Last edited by rogalal; 20th December 2009 at 07:25 PM.

You are right, searching for the fragrance with some sort of the word "coffee" in its name -- it is not cafe or mocha, though, it is another word that we have been using too many times on this last page.

I will make it easier for you -- I have already mentioned earlier that I do not have any of LD on hand -- oh well, it has NOT been included in this sniff. So, now you have got just three houses to comb through, Laurence Dumont is OUT.

Blog Entries

But where do all the cheese references come in? I'm baffled....

But thanks for the hint!

Blog Entries

Hmmm... There's also a "rare discontinued" BBW called Java Bloom. But that doesn't account for all the cheese references...

That's it, you have got it! Bath and Body Works Java Bloom was our scent C.

"With sultry spices and exotic warmth, master perfumers have created the perfect blend of white coffee blossoms, sensual vanilla and satin woods" -- it says on the back of the box.

The notes from B&BW site (while they were available) were:
    Coffee, spices, woods, vanilla, patchouli.

We referred to it as "cheesy" because it is an uncomplicated fragrance perceived by some as cheap. Not by me. (Tang introduced it to me, Ubuandibeme was selling some and lizzie_j has it in the blue thing on top of her Own Wardrobe's section).

What will be your suggestion as to when do we start the fourth -- and the last -- sample D?

Blog Entries

Woo Hoo!

You've been picking some doozies!

I have to admit that I put on a large amount of C before bed last night and it was still going strong this morning. And, given time to settle down, it was a pleasant chocolate raspberry combination.

I'm about to leave for the big Christmas party I made all that ziti for, so I'm offline for the rest of the day.

Sample D for Monday morning, everyone?

Have fun at the party and, once again, thanks for finding time and participating in the Sniff this busy holiday season!

Ah, great work! sorry I missed the frantic stage, I was actually AT THE MALL, and even peeked in both BBW and The Disney Store for a quick look for a coffee frag. Hubby and 3 kids were with me, so I didn't get to sniff any bottles, and good thing, too, since it wouldn't have done me any good with a discontinued frag!

D on Monday sounds good...a bonus round from a mystery source! Can't wait!

Bonus Round, Sample D "Of Mice and Vice".

In hopes that St.Nicholas soon would be there,
    Nutcracker jumped for joy: "So happy to interfere".
    While visions of coffee still danced in their heads,
    Our sniffers revealed C, not your thoroughbred.

And Mouse King shouted and called them names:
    "You can all have it, I am so tired of your silly games,
    Nutcracker is a dreamer, he must go straight to work
    Of cracking nuts," They all sighed "What a jerk!"
    But Nutcracker was kinder and smarter and wiser,
    He opened Sample D, made for the Mouse miser.
    He knew -- or so the urban legend goes --
    D is for Mouse Kings, to keep them on their toes,
    As mice have been said to have the magic power
    To make D meeker and tamer by minute, not by the hour.

Here's the last pic of the round. Let's see what's the present King Mouse is gonna get this year.

Gonna be nice and easy, I hope.

Good morning, dear sniffers! Take a sip of your spice tea -- or whatever you drink in the morning -- and let's all take the Mouse King scent seriously, if it does not take you first. Or, are you overpowered already?

Woooo, baby, scent D is SWEET! I feel the need to brush my teeth, LOL.

I get cherries and a hint of vanilla. And cherries. Like a Luden's cough drop.

Did I mention the cherries?

(Watch, now, kids...Prepare for the giggles...I bet there aren't any cherries in it and I'm yet again misidentifying a note. It's my way.)

Good call! Vanilla is present in D, but it is NOT the key component.

Cherries? Like in Cerises? Like in cough candy/syrup? Like in BBW Cherry Blossom?

Like I said, Luden's Wild Cherry Cough drops. Not cherry blossoms, not bitter or tart pie cherries....Cherry like a lollypop that dyes your lips bright red. You know, the ones you'd eat on purpose when you were 12 amd your mother said you were too young for lipstick? And, of course, you were, and you looked absolutely ridiculous with bright red lips, teeth, and tongue?

Maybe that was just me.

Anyhoo. THAT kind of cherry.

I'd guess it was the cherry perfume from Claire's, but that is only available in solid form in a bright red stick that looks like a crayon. Because, it's Claire's. (/mom of three girls)

I guess, we will wait for each sniffer to post their initial impressions of D without our interference. Will it work, DD?

Am going out for some retail therapy for a few hours but have just applied D (literally about 15 seconds ago) and...initial impressions (I'll be back this evening to post more):

- of the 4 frags, this is the first one that I feel like I might like, even though right now it's quite strong I'm getting the feeling this may dry down into something I like
    - getting a bit of that mentholated/Halls cough drop-y feeling here

- incense?
    - something fruity, red fruit - berry?? - I'm not sure this is a fruit or something else with a fruity quality
    - resin?
    - dry woods?
    - leather?
    - anise?
    - myrhh?
    - pepper of some sort - I am thinking more red pepper/capsicum-pepper than black pepper? (is it coriander?)

This has spice and heat. It has the olfactory qualities of that sweet Thai hot sauce - the spicy sweetness and the heat together.

It's been drying down for about 5 mins and it's mellowing considerably already, the sharpness fo the initial bit is almost gone. It's gotten a little softer and sweeter. I might smell something floral now? That fruity thing is still there, too. It smells a lot gourmandier now - I can smell the above-mentioned vanilla now. There's a candy-like something or other happening as well. At this point I'm calling this as feminine.

OK, will continue to sniff my wirst and be back in a bit to post again!!!
    Last edited by LedByMyNose; 21st December 2009 at 04:44 PM.
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

I take back what i said about maybe liking this. It now smells like potpourri-candle. Ick. Sweet, fruity, and I may have been imagining what I thought was a smokiness or dryness in there. I don't know, there's still a ghost of it. This is the potpourri-iest frag I have smelled in ages.
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

What do you mean by potpourri smell? A little bit of everything? Too much spices? Too synthetic?

Sorry that none of the 4 fragrances are to your liking, Ms.L.

Blog Entries

Hi all - It's just about lunch time again, so I'm able to post.

D went on with the cherries mentioned above, but boozy and a bit funky.

But the cherry quickly faded to the background and the heart came in as a fuzzy mix of vanilla and musk, spiced up with cinnamon, maybe nutmeg, and stuff like that.

With time, it got a touch powdery - maybe orris or iris? Tonka?

I'm still getting touches of the sweet cherry, but there's a sweeter fruity quality to it, almost like orange or bergamot. And a pinch of white florals brightening it up and keeping it from going completely gourmand.

It's almost Geurlain-ish, but without the booziness and the deft hand, but I can tell that's what they're going for with the mix of basenotes.

There's also some paper-baggy tobacco.

This reminds me of Luctor et Emergo - that mix of gourmand and classic with the cherry and tobacco (it's been forever since I smelled LeE, so I'm probably way off...)

Is this one in the directory? Does it have listed notes? Or are you being mean again ??

Glade edt?

This is some stroooooong stuff! Hours later, and still producing an impressive Cherry ChapStick sillage.

I'm sure there is probably more in here than cherry and vanilla, but the cherry is so strong for me that I'm having trouble picking up the other notes...

Sniffing straight at the vial, the alcohol is a strong blast. Perhaps something sharp, like lemon or pineapple? But, that note doesn't stay once the frag is no longer wet on my skin.

So very sweet. I'll let Mr. R weigh in...

ETA: And, so he did, while I was typing. ETA 2....redacted guess, will PM so as to let others guess...
    Last edited by YouCanCallMeMo; 21st December 2009 at 07:13 PM.

Well, my guess was wrong, so back to the drawing board...

It is in the Directory, how about that?

It is not Luctor et Emergo (which Ms.L has in her Wardrobe's Own section), and by now I have received two guesses via PM, both incorrect but worlds apart:

1) Serge Lutens 5 O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    2) Brittney Spears Hidden Fantasy.

So....
    Would you describe C as fairly modern? Do you think it is the 60s? the 70s? the 80s? the 90s? 21 century?

How potent is it? (Mo also noticed that it is strong.)

Agree, there is fruityness about it. Would you classify it as fruity-floral? Or, something else? Like a floral chypre? Or? (there is no cherry or pineapple in the official set of notes)
    Last edited by Twolf; 21st December 2009 at 07:46 PM.

No cherry. Figures, that's all I smell. Bad nose!

Well, I own SL 5O'C, and I can say there is little to know similarity...I'm not getting any ginger at all here.

Is there rose in this? A powdery rose, hidden under whatever non-cherry fruit this is supposed to be?

OK, I'm back. As my eyes skimmed over the page I saw CallMeMo's 'Glade?' and my heart sank. "Twolf wouldnt do that to us! Nooooo!" - but it seems she didn't.

Twolf i've changed my mind, too. This is masculine, not feminine. At this stage of the drydown (3 hrs in-ish) this def. seems like it would be marketed to the dudes. And I agree that it is strong. It does not smell too modern to me, I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't from after 1990, maybe even 1980.

Whatever this is, I'm unfamiliar with it as a type of frag, I think. I would call it spicy-fruity, I think? Whatever it is, the fruit isn't the main thing I'm getting right now. I still feel like I can smell some leather/incense/resin? Woods? Dry woods? Cedar?

Rogalal - During the first 30 seconds of this I also thought of PotL - definite similiarities.

Twolf - I have weird perfume taste. Nor do I mind that none of these were my thing, it's been fascinating to do this. I think I need to resniff Sample A again, too.

EDIT: CallMeMo, Rogalal and I have both noticed a similiarity to PotL, which has a cherry note, so I don't think your nose is off at all. Whatever it is, it's making us think of cherry...but it isn't cherry.

I was wondering about rose, too.

EDIT EDIT: Now I'm not so sure it isn't modern! Gaaaah! OK, I don't want to hack anyone off but this smells a bit Andy Tauer-ish? I've only smelled 2 by him (Desert Marocain and I forget the other one) so take that opinion for what it is (near useless) but that might be why I'm asking about incense?

EDIT EDIT EDIT: Twolf, by potpourri I meant literally potpourri (meaningless, I know, as good as saying "hey! smells like perfume!") - but it reminds me of those bowls of dried stuff my grandma has. Or, at that point it did. Now it smells more masculine. Not quite besweatered-man masculine but...hmmm...

Just read the last few posts and I had the same white flowers thought that Rogalal did, earlier in the drydown. Tuberose?
    Last edited by LedByMyNose; 21st December 2009 at 08:19 PM.

It is marketed for women.

There is neither rose, nor tuberose in D.

There are powdery elements among the heart and the base notes of D.

Do you guys think it is mass market, designer or niche?

Blog Entries

Hmmmm....

My guesses so far:

Current - If it's 90's, it's probably niche. If current, maybe a designer, maybe a unisex niche.

For whatever reason, I keep thinking of the New Juicy Couture - Couture Couture. Not because I think this is CC but because I smelled it on a foldout in a Macys catalog and was surprised that it was so much more about the basenotes of musk and vanilla than it was about fruity florals, so I've got a feeling in my gut that this may be a newer designer.

Overall, I'm thinking oriental, but I'm only wearing a light ammount, so I'm not getting the massive cherry chapstick thing you guys are.

Potential notes we've guessed (not just from me):

Cherry (already said no - doh!)
    plum
    orange
    bergamot
    lemon
    vanilla
    white musk
    tonka
    orris/iris
    cinnamon
    nutmeg
    tobacco
    rosewood/teak
    myrrh/incense
    gaiac wood
    sandalwood
    ylang ylang
    some sort of booze - brandy?
    wax or honey (for that chapstick feeling)
    rose
    tuberose

Verification?

I can't get that wet paper bag note out of my nose - usually it's tobacco or rosewood that does this to me. I've had this happen with a couple of Ava Luxes...

According to the official list there is some sort of citrus but not the ones you mentioned, there is vanilla and ylang-ylang. There is one ingredient that could be interpreted as musk (or even amber, I guess) but they don't call it that.