Code of Conduct
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Blog Entries

Default Re: December Blind 3x3 Sniff

Does this one have notes listed here on BN?
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Yes, it does have the notes on BN.
    I forgot to mention, there is another fruit in it, and it has not been mentioned yet. And there is a note that might be somehow related to cherry (in my mind at least), although they are not at all the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by darkdreams View Post
    And there is a note that might be somehow related to cherry (in my mind at least), although they are not at all the same thing.
    Could you be referring to heliotrope?

I agree on the newer designer theory...That's what this smells like to me...

Isn't wet paper bag usually lingin? (which is actually a major actual component of wet paper bags!) What citrus is left, lime or grapefruit? I'm getting neither of those, to be quite honest.

Neither musk nor amber but somehow similar? Hm. Something warm? Besides vanilla? Almond, maybe?

Others to consider:

Strawberry
    Some kind of sweeter melon, like cantaloupe?
    Violets
    Some kind of synthetic "fruit" scent?
    milk?
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

*~~________________________________________~~*

Other citrus: yuzu? mandarin?

For that warming base note, could it be tonka bean or benzoin?

I hope I won't incur the wrath of the wolf for this.
    You are right about the designer thing. It is fairly new too.
    Yes, heliotrope is one of the notes, but I wasn't thinking about it. The one I was reffering to, is described as musky, animalic amber but I did not know until today. Anyway, it is synthetic.
    There are other citrus fruits out there. And the "other" fruit has not been mentioned yet.

Haunani gets the mandarin.

OK, I guessed two different scents and was wrong on both counts....sigh.

Is the "other fruit" plum?
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

No, not plum. It is an "exotic" fruit.

Blog Entries

Searching BN for something with vanilla, ylan ylang, heliotrope, and mandarin, only one thing comes up, something called Lullaby Super-Fume by Perfume of Life, which doesn't sound like it could be this from the reviews, plus it has notes listed that shouldn't be there if it's sample D.

I get a few more hits from Fragrantica, none of which are designer and "fairly new." The closest they're giving me is Kenzo Jungle L'Elephant or D&G Feminine.

Based entirely on the picture clue, does this have something to do with "star"?

I was getting Lullaby Super-Fume, too, and also Homage a Greta Garbo by Gres (one of my failed guesses. And, really, how would this relate to Greta Garbo in any discernable way. La Garbo wouldn't wear this!) My other wrong guess was Sentimental by Escada.

Vintage by Kate Moss also matches up with many of our notes, here...and it doesn't have any reviews listed to judge by.

Sample D has reviews on BN.

Blog Entries

I can't believe that, with all of our guesses (and Haunani's help ), we only have four notes!

Vanilla, ylang ylang, mandarin, and heliotrope.

And they're not helping at all because clearly BN has different notes listed than the manufacturer's website. Argh!

More guesses:

Lacoste Inspiration?
    Hanae Mori Magical Moon?

BN has the right notes. Let's see...how about spices? What do you smell?

One of you -- rather, by chance -- has mentioned a correct house and scent (Hoorray!) in one of the recent posts while I was gone.

Now the choice is yours -- go with exclusion.

With D, we went with OsMoz set of notes, although BN directory is pretty accurate -- just three or four notes less and one of them is misspelled. Once again, vanilla is NOT a key player in D.

Also, read the intro -- about urban legends.

DD -- please give our sniffers some time to think or talk outloud.
    Last edited by Twolf; 22nd December 2009 at 01:40 AM.

Blog Entries

I've got it!!!

He he - I was searching for "ylang ylang" and not "ylang-ylang"

But I'm not going to say it, to give everyone else a chance...

Ironically, it seems to be something very big that would still be afraid of your Christmas mouse!!

>grumbles< I was just searching for "ylang," and got na-ching.

Wait....no way....really? I've seen this one referenced before, and I thought there was no way this was it!

PMing, because LBMN hasn't been here tonight...

Ah, got back from dinner and there is a probable solution! Congrats, Rogalal! I made some earlier guesses and they were wrong wrong wrong. This whole December game has been fun to follow. Hooray for Twolf, Darkdreams, and the three sleuths!!!

Is it Amouage Silver??? I just tried searching for the notes we had so far and got 3 results, one of which was Amouage Silver.
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LedByMyNose View Post
    Is it Amouage Silver??? I just tried searching for the notes we had so far and got 3 results, one of which was Amouage Silver.
    Silver wouldn't be scared of a mouse!

Ms.Mo PMed me the correct answer last night.

Like my partner DD said, look for more spice. There is another component similar in feel tp cherry but not exactly the same which in combination with helitrope creates that powdery note (almost like in Twizzlers, that come in cherry, strawberry and black ??? and Lolita Lempicka).

The juicy tropical fruit is not used in perfumery very often, but there are other fragrances with it.

And, finally, the note misspelled in the BN Directory is a synthetic compound often used in perfumery to evoke the feeling of velvety cashmere fabric.

Of course, Mr.R's remarks about mice making D "meeker and tamer" almost instantly, are not to be neglected.

Heh, it's got to be Kenzo Elephant then, no? I am thinking of the mice...

I'm bummed there are no more sniffies. This was fun and I think I learned some useful things about IDing notes, which is an area I need more knowledge in.
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

All right, now we all got it! (BTW, this time I played with my whole Wardrobe intact -- so did DD -- and we both have Kenzo Jungle Elephant in different sections of our Wardrobes).

The notes from OsMoz are: (1996)
    Mandarin, cardamom, cumin, clove;
    Ylang-ylang, licorice, mango (juice), heliotrope;
    Patchouli, vanilla, amber, cashmeran.

Amazingly, for me it is more a Spicy scent than a Gourmand, but for many people it is a totally different animal. The urban legend was a myth how mice scare elephants (because they can climb in their trunks) which is not quite true, but we placed our Bonus Round around this amusing fact.

Give me a few hours when I am home from work, and I will do the proper, rhyming conclusion.

Thanks to everybody for participating behind the scenes: kumquat, Haunani, Riannon and other BNers.

Blog Entries

Woo Hoo!

We did it!

This was way harder than I thought it would be. While I'd always had the inkling, this seems to prove how much published notes for fragrances are more for marketing and less about the actual notes of the scents. Seriously, all three of us smelled cherry clear as day in the Kenzo. And chocolate in the BBW, which smelled nothing at all like coffee without knowing it was supposed to smell like coffee.

It's amazing how, when you take all the branding and price and marketing and names and fancy bottles away, the juice seems to rarely match the vision we build around it with all those things intact, some times for the better, some times for the worse.

So many thanks to Twolf and DD, especially for somehow managing to monitor the thread and answer all of our questions quickly despite the craziness of this holiday time!

I am amazed that Sample D was Jungle Elephant! I had seen it mentioned on the forums, and had it on my must-try list because I delusionally thought it was a dirty yet floral leather. I had visions of a Cabochard/Bandit lovechild. Who knows where I got that idea! This stuff is not even close to what I expected!

Thank you to all who put this month's challenge together. I'm at that phase of learning where I'm working beyond knowing what I do and don't like and aspiring to know exactly WHY I do and don't like certain frags. My skill at picking up individual notes obviously still needs work. Remember these good times?

Mo: Sample A has lots of Peppermint!
    T/DD: Er....No.
    Mo: Oh, B is really cedar-heavy, isn't it?
    T/DD: No. No, it's not.
    Mo: Oh, this one is easy, C has Chocolate and Frankincense!
    T/DD: No, and No.
    Mo: Sample D? ALL cherries, AmIRite?
    T/DD: (sigh.) No.

My nose, she is crazy!

PS: I wrote this message a few hours ago....I see now that at least rogalal's more experienced nose picked up on some of the same "false" notes as I did. Really, though, published notes for some new frags have gotten silly, haven't they? I mean, "cashmere?" You know what cashmere smells like? Like whatever perfume I was wearing the last time I wore that sweater, that's what.

I shouldn't mock I mean, in the last few weeks, I've gone on record as saying that Samsara extrait smells like cabochon cut rubies and L'Heure Bleue EdP smells like a cello concerto. But, honestly...they aren't very accurate when they say a perfume smells like "mango JUICE" or "SKIN musks" or "Babies Dreams" or some such twaddle.

Smile Re: December Blind 3x3 Sniff

"Oh my", said the Mouse King. "This beast is for me?
    Better than camembert, better than brie.
    Perhaps, Christmas really can't be bought at the store,
    Perhaps, satisfaction awaits us next door?
    And thank you, all sniffers, Nutcracker and team
    I learned my lesson and I gained self-esteem!"
    The Wonders of Christmas we cannot foresee,
    Joy to the world, peace to you and me!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by YouCanCallMeMo View Post

PS: I wrote this message a few hours ago....I see now that at least rogalal's more experienced nose picked up on some of the same "false" notes as I did. Really, though, published notes for some new frags have gotten silly, haven't they? I mean, "cashmere?" You know what cashmere smells like? Like whatever perfume I was wearing the last time I wore that sweater, that's what.
    This cracked me up - thank you. Number one, I put on my jacket this morning and it smelled like all four of the 3x3 samples, plus a heavy dose of Encre Noire and some oud. Don't even get me started on what my sweaters smell like...

Number two, you called me a "more experienced nose" If you knew me, you'd know how off the mark that is. I'm still very much a newbie, albeit an enthusiastic learner, bordering on obsessive. I think I appear more confident in writing than I am in real life. If you could see my confused expressions while I say I smell cherries, you wouldn't trust me anywhere near as much!
    Last edited by rogalal; 24th December 2009 at 02:18 AM.