Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default December Blind 3x3 Sniff

'Twas a night before Christmas and all through the house
    Not a creature was stirring except for a mouse.
    He was big, fat and greedy and wanted a gift,
    He was Mouse King from Mouse Kingdom, you catching a drift?

He saw piles of presents and thought with despair:
    "Oh, where is mine? Not here? Not there?"
    Of course, there was none: neither Limburger, nor other stinky cheese
    Had his name on them, so he used expertise --
    He stole three fragrance bottles, all marked A, B and C
    He wanted perfume, he was beaming with glee.
    "I've had fair share of bad luck all these years,
    Perhaps, it's a new beginning, time to switch carreers!
    Instead of rat races, I will swim in this stuff.
    All Mouse chick magnets," he thought. "Sure enough".

A little girl Clara Marie got upset
    She couldn't go back to sleep, she was breaking in sweat.
    Her best friend Nutcracker exclaimed: "No fear!
    I promise, we'll have them back by the end of the year.
    They are not what he likes, they are all sweet and tasty,
    He'd better stick to his Kouros, his decision was hasty!
    With a sample of each, we'll make a list of notes,
    He does not know what is what, hey where are your lab coats?
    We'll go travel far away where Sugar Plum Fairies live,
    Mouse King will have to give them up, it's Christmas, we'll forgive!"

The theme for the December Blind Sniff is "Visions of Sugar Plum Fairies", I am hosting and my backup is Darkdreams. The scents were chosen with the Christmas Ballet/Suite Nutcracker in mind.

Sniffers are: YouCanCallMeMo, LedByMyNose and Rogalal.
    Last edited by Twolf; 7th December 2009 at 08:48 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: December Blind 3x3 Sniff

Sugar plum fairies, you say?

Hmmmm.....

Sounds appropriately festive!
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Mine came today, and I'm resisting the urge to sneak an early sniff.....A beautiful nutcracker-themed hint, too....Thank you, Twolf, for hosting a generous 3x3!
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

*~~________________________________________~~*

Love the poem re-write!

Blog Entries

I have the samples in hand - thank you very much!

And I eagerly await instructions....

Great news! We are now waiting for LedByMyNose from Canada to report and we will start.

Thank you.

Nothing at the PO yesterday (Weds) - will check again this afternoon and report back. If I don't post before 7pm, assume they have *not* arrived yet.

When did the others receive theirs? Are you both in the US?
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

I'm in the Northeast US (About 8 hours due south of you) and I got mine yesterday. If they all went out at the same time, I'd guess yours would arrive today or tomorrow!
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

Twolfie dear, your poem reminded me so much of your wonderful 'Teasers' Something I will never forget.

Good luck to you and to all participants.

Irresistable, those "Sugar Plum Fairies"
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

I've done a search and I'm coming up empty...does anyone know where I can find a quick rundown of the rules of the game? I don't want to blurt a guess out of turn or anything! Now is a good time to review....

No rules, really! Just guess the fragrance and you are a winner! It might be helpful to describe what you think you are smelling, since other BNers can develop your thoughts and give more clues about the identity of a fragrance. I do not exclude the possibility of "Aha! I know this!" and if you do not want to post your guess right here, please PM me or my backup Darkdreams with your guess.

There are no prizes involved, though.

R., This is it! Just like I like them, Mouse Kings! And thank you for your continuous support of the game.
    H., Thanks for your kind words!

OK...I wasn't sure if we were supposed to hold off on public guessing until a certain time or anything...So, you or Darkdreams will say "GO on A!" and then we can start discussing and guessing. Then, we wait to get a "GO on B" before delving in to that....and so on?

I can't wait! My samples are sitting here in my desk drawer, taunting me with their mystery!

Hello, nothing at the PO earlier today. I will go again tomorrow morning before noon and post back as soon as I know. ARGH.
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

Do not worry about that, L.! They will be there, eventually (fingers crossed). I hope that nobody minds, or do you guys?

Mo, we all know the feeling -- those who have been there on THAT side, about 35 of us now? I never tire to repeat -- you are not a true BNer until you went through a boot camp of Blind Sniff -- we are all even, the nose knows and sometimes it is the viewer and not a sniffer who submits a correct guess.

Also, for those who forgot how we are playing here, please put November Blind Sniff or October (really any month!) Blind Sniff in the search box.

And another observation: so far we have not had a single repeat in fragrances whose samples are marked A, B and C -- and sometimes D. Therefore, those that have already been guessed in previous rounds -- most probably will NOT be included into your sniff.

Going to the PO in about an hour, will most likely be in by noon Eastern time and will post here to let everyone if the samples have arrived. Fingers crossed that Canada Post's dogsled teams have delivered the goods!

Nuthin'...which means it'll now be Monday at the earliest. Sorry about this, delaying it all.

No fuss from me, LBMN...I have a crazy holiday-preparation weekend ahead of me, so next week will actually be more convenient for me than this weekend would have been!

Stay warm!

Still nothing. I have no problem with you all going ahead with the first sniffy if everyone is impatient! Will post tomorrow afternoon if they have arrived!

Blog Entries

I'm happy to wait. It seems only fair.

It seems the mail is taking longer than usual this time of year...

It does seem longer. It is up to you guys whenever you are all ready.

I don't mind waiting...it would be a shame to let the post diminish the fun!

Still nothing. Can anyone confirm what day these samples were sent out? Again, if you want to get started on sample A, I don't mind. I'll be checking again tomorrow afternoon.

Mailed your out on Thursday, December 3rd. The PO lady told me 5 to 7 days.

Some packages I have sent to Canada have taken over 2 weeks, despite what the USPS says.

Well, I just called the PO and there's a "small package" there, so I'm off to check what it is. Fingers crossed please. And if it was sent on the 3rd, yep, this is not a weirdly long time. It's not the USPS it's the Canadian postal service. They suck.

WOO HOO! They're here! I need to take a couple of hours to get my sh** together but will be back very soon, and as soon as we get the go ahead, to start sniffin'. So excited.

Oh, yeay! I'm ready when the others are!

OK, I'm not going to say anything about sample A yet but before I do get into commentary on the samples what I WOULD like to say is that I am a bit of a noob at picking out specific notes in perfumes. I worried a bit about making 'mistakes' if I participated in a Blind Sniff but I've decided I'm going to disallow any self-second-guessing and just try to give my honest impressions. My impressions may be a little less specific than those who are more experienced - I hope this isn't too annoying or vague, but I really did want to participate in one of these and am genuinely bubbling over with excitement here.

Also want to say thank you to everyone for your patience with Canada Post.

I'm in the same boat, LBMN, both in terms of nose and excitement! It will be fun to see what our more impressionistic noses come up with!

Blog Entries

Nice. So we start tomorrow morning?

Our samples have crawled to the sniffers from the Land of Sweets,
    Let's see the dances, hear the notes and get some tasty treats.
    Please, all, join Nutcracker's crew and start wearing them very soon,
    Together we will figure out what they are, and win them back from the bad Mouse goon!

Sample A. Sugar Plum Fairy Dance.

Chiming in just to wish good luck to the sniffers and to thank Ms. Twolf for hosting this round. Here's a little treat to get you into a sweet mood.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vH9vYiqDX5o"]YouTube- Dance of the sugar plum fairy from The Nutcracker (Mariinsky[/ame]

I'm up early today, so I guess I'm the first to check in!

Sample A is a very pale yellow. It's a typical consistency for an EdT or an EdP, not an oil, etc.

sniff from the vial? Sweet to my nose, and...minty?

I've now dabbed a bit on my wrist and it's a definite mint top note...I'd say Peppermint, not spearmint. Sometimes I get a piney note in mint perfumes, but this one is straight up peppermint out of the gate.

Wow. On my skin, that peppermint top note didn't last as long as it took me to type out that sentence. The drydown is already upon me, I guess! The mint had me expecting gourmand, but this is definitely some kind of floral...it actually reminds me of Estee Lauder Beautiful quite a bit.

I have a preliminary guess, but as I'm the first to comment, I'll PM Twolf rather than spoil the fun. (As if I'd be even close, LOL.But, just in case I've lucked upon the answer, I'll keep it off here for now....)

I will say that my first sniff made me assume that this must be the dept store or perhaps drugstore scent. The surprising drydown made me think department store....And, yet, my preliminary guess is a niche scent. So, who knows?

Sample A: same colour as light white wine (in fact the samples all look about the same colour)

Out of the vial: smells floral and perfume-y to me, and I think I'm getting something 'fresh' - dept. store or drugstore is my guess

On skin, 1 min: Sweet-ish, but not foody/gourmand. And yes, is that peppermint? Again there is a fresh note. At this stage I find this inoffensive and unremarkable. Don't dislike it but there's nothing special about - or, nothing that would make me perk up and go "oh! niiiice!" It's crisp-sweet, not cloying-sweet right now. Is there any bergamot?

5 mins: Has more body now, although it still isn't foody to me, the sweetness is coming out. Smells very sugary (sugar? honey?) at this stage and the freshness is almost gone. It's a thin, sweet frag right now, and still floral although I cannot ID the floral notes (freesia? rose? lily of the valley?). Is there some kind of candied fruit here? I don't know if I've taken the Christmas theme too much to heart but it *does* smells Christmassy.

15 mins: Sweet and spicy. Warm, but not thick. Cinnamon?

OK, those are my initial impressions. I am with YouCanCallMeMo - this definitely seemed like a dept. store/drug store/lower-end frag at first, but this sweet/spicy thing is making me think niche. I think I'll stick with my initial guess. It also smells modern. 90's or later, if forced I'd say post 2000. More Oriental then Gourmand, to my nose. Definitely feminine.

Initially it had me thinking of Dior or Calvin Klein (newer CK), now it has me thinking of B Never Too Busy To B Beautiful line, which I find has the same sweet/spicy qualities in the 3 or 4 samples I've tried.

Am stumped.

This is remaining sweet but getting less-floral and more-spicy as it dries down.

EDIT: I don't think this is Botrytis, but it has many of the same qualities.
    Last edited by LedByMyNose; 17th December 2009 at 01:15 PM.

Blog Entries

One fragrance I know of that has a surprising mint up front is Biagiotti's 'Roma'. So I'll throw that out as a first guess.

Now that we have guesses in the ring, I'll go ahead a say that the guess I PMed to Twolf this morning was Diabolo Rose by Parfums de Rosine. I based this on a directory search for a few of the notes. This is the posted list for Diabolo Rose:

Top Notes: Sicilian bergamot, Peppermint, Essence of rose.
    Middle Notes: Lily of the valley, Peony, Rose absolute.
    Base Notes: Amber, Musk, Sandalwood, Yerbamate.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    One fragrance I know of that has a surprising mint up front is Biagiotti's 'Roma'. So I'll throw that out as a first guess.
    Oh, good guess Kumquat. But I think they would have been mentioning a strong pepper note that hangs around with Roma. Still, you could be right.

Twolf will probably be online soon but until then...keep on guessing. None of the above mentioned ones is it.

Jo Malone White Jasmine & Mint?

I'm amazed at how few minty florals I can even track down out there!

Heh, I'm almost hoping nobody gets this so the game can last longer. I feel like I'm 5.

I'm right at the tail end of the drydown now. Right now it smells totally generic to me. Generic sweet, possibly vanillic, sandalwoody drydown. I'm almost tempted to guess if this is a celeb scent? Argh it's probably something really high end now I've said that.

Cello - I wondered about pepper. It has a pepperiness to it, at one stage, but I can't put my finger on it. Pink pepper, maybe?

I'm interested to see if Rogalal smells the peppermint in the opening. I want to give it a second round to make sure of that...have you applied it again, YouCanCallMeMo?

It is not the Jo Malone one. I don't want to reveal more than Twolf would like to, but I'll say that perhaps you should not dwell that much on that minty note. Try to identify some other ones perhaps?

OK, I just reapplied...Crikey, I'm awful at separating floral notes...it seems to be a well-blended mix...

Let's see....There is an almost cedary mustiness under there...but, I hesitate to call it cedar...And something foody in the middle, kind of candied, all mixed in with that very heady floral blend.

Thank you guys for your participation and your guesses, I received two and none of them is correct. Darkdreams, you are doing a terrific job co-ordinating our sniffers' efforts while I am away.

You are good sniffers, both of you, ladies. I wonder what Mr.R has to say and how A behaves on his skin, but so far I have to agree with several things mentioned in your posts:

-- certainly has a Christmassy feel to me;
    -- more oriental and floral than gourmand with my chemistry, although some reviewers consider it gourmand;
    -- agree with candied fruit (what type?);
    -- and agree with generic sweet drydown and you attempt to classify it -- it smells like drugstore, department store and niche combined. She would not be a Sugar Plum Fairy if she did not have all these tricks up her sleeve.

Let's wait for Mr.R's first impressions and then we (DD and I) will comment about the correct notes that you have identified.

Blog Entries

Hi all,

I'm at work and it's finally lunch time, so I can write.

In the top, I get mostly carnation. Like some carnations are wont to do, it's quite bubblegummy. I think that minty spiciness is the spicy clove-like aspect of the carnation. I'm pretty sure they've added some cinnamon, too, which is giving sort of a candied quality to the whole thing. I'm getting other florals, too, but definitely secondary to the main smell, which is that bubblegummy carnation. I think it's muguet/lily of the valley, which gives the whole thing a sort of wet greenness that keeps everything floral. Or maybe some violet, which I find easy to miss, but does its thing to add a floral complexity and a sort of "upliftingness" to many scents.

As it dried, the carnation faded quickly, making room for a cassis note and eventually for rose. I think this is the candied fruit you guys are smelling. Of course, based on Twolf's hints, it's probably plum, but I smell more cassis than anything else. Maybe a pinch of strawberry or cherry, though.

It could be an aspect of the cassis, but I think I'm also smelling some safe white musk in the base, too. It's kind of creamy, which could be vanilla or sandalwood.

So, my official note questions:

carnation?
    rose?
    muguet/lily of the valley?
    violet?
    cassis/black currant/red currant?
    plum?
    strawberry?
    white musk?
    vanilla?
    sandalwood?

Based on these notes and Twolf's hints, I think I'm ready to make a first guess. I'll pm, so as to not ruin the fun if I'm right (which I'm probably not, but a lot of the notes match, so I'll try...)

Blog Entries

More thoughts I forgot.

I'm guessing it's an EDP, because it goes on pretty strong.

I'm guessing it's current, because it goes on pretty strong but fades fast (toploading?).

The carnation note can be a niche favorite (it's a house note for Caron, there are a few CDG's that use it, and it was featured prominently in one of the Lutens I recently sampled), but I'm guessing that this is a recent designer release.

In terms of genre, is "candy floral" an official description?

I'd be quite impressed if this is a drugstore scent, but not terribly surpised if it turns out to be niche.

I'm thinking the Christmas reference may be that combination of clovey carnation and cinnamon, which can have a Christmas candle sort of vibe (which I generally don't care for, but this smells quite good - I appreciate their restraint)

Perhaps that mustiness I sense is actually hints of carnation and violet, as it's more powerdery than a cedar would be....hummmm....let me reapproach my note searches.

J'Adore Anniversaire En Or? That's supposed to have plum, violet, rose, and something called "Crystallized Orchid," whatever that is.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by YouCanCallMeMo View Post
    Perhaps that mustiness I sense is actually hints of carnation and violet, as it's more powerdery than a cedar would be....hummmm....let me reapproach my note searches.
    Oh yeah... powder!

Maybe iris is a note?

When I think of powdery carnation, I think of Caron, which makes me suspect Nuit de Noel, but the notes don't match and if this is from 1922, it's been brutally reformulated...

How nice that we all happen to be here together at the same time!

Ok, I received two separate PMs identifying this fragrance as Van Cleef & Arpels Feerie, and let me disappoint you, it is a very good guess but, unfortunately, incorrect!

Now that Mr.R chimed in, more about the notes: it is a fairly modern fragrance (after 1990) and the notes identified correctly are:
    -- cinnamon (now you can brew a cup of tea with that same cinnamon note -- purple bag -- that I have enclosed for your pleasure, you might read the bag for more hints, BTW);
    -- clove;
    -- freesia;
    -- lily of the valley;
    -- honey;
    --sandalwood.

Surprisingly, there is no rose. The freshness some of you are feeling may come from aldehydes that are not in the manufacturer's official pyramid but are present in some other pyramids for this fragrance as found on the Internet.

Oh, man, now I need to go find the tea....

Ok...Look at that, Cinnamon Plum!

And, I also note that there are 4 teabags and 4 samples...Hm...Twolf is a crafty one!

I notice that all 4 teas are of English origin. This makes me want to give special consideration to the English perfume houses.

Well, my next guess was GOING to be Badgley Mischka Couture, but that seems less likely.

Energy by Anthony Logistics? That doesn't feel right.

How about Comme des Garcons Parfum? One reviewer describes it as "Christmassy!"

Ms.L I have read through your thoughts and you have made two important discoveries. One in #41 and another one in #50.
    Last edited by Twolf; 17th December 2009 at 08:18 PM.

OK, one more guess and then I'm going to brew myself a cup of tea!

Comme des Garcons White?

Post #41 and #50? Me and YouCanCallMeMo?

OK, so just to confirm there is *no* carnation?

The opening is interesting because we've had 2 strong impressions (mint for CallMeMo and carnation for Rogalal) and neither are right? This got me thinking that for a brief moment in the opening I get a mentholated feeling - the feeling you get when you've got a Vicks throat drop in your mouth and you breath in. This reminds me somewhat (just this note) of the Aomassai opening, which was quite mentholated to me. What note can give this feeling? That isn't mint?

I'm going to guess peach for the fruit...if it is peach it's specifically the kind of peach I don't like in perfume, though. Too much, too sweet etc.

YouCanCallMeMo - this, especially the mid-drydown, reminds of J'Adore as well (the regular one, I havent smelled any of the flankers).

Another point that's just personal - I don't like this. It's too strong and too 'perfumey'. It's not a scrubber, though.

EDIT: Got another note guess - ginger?

Also, have we guessed the 'main' floral note yet?

EDIT EDIT: Wait, is CallMeMo right about the plum?

Weeee this is so fun.
    Last edited by LedByMyNose; 17th December 2009 at 08:57 PM.

Of course you are right, #50's discovery belongs to Mo but it is a very good guess.

Instead of carnation it is clove, these two are pretty close every now and then.

The fruit is peach.

Strangely enough, A on me is not a scrubber either but I would not call it "strong". Again, I do not wear it very often.

Well, my CdG White guess was based on the thought the pink pepper you guessed in #41 and my house guess in #50.

Alternatively, I could have merely been right about the tea, or Twolf being crafty! (of course) And you could be right about the Celebuscent guess....

No, none of CDG.

OK, do not tell on me, but if you were to ask one certain BNer nicely, she would probably send you in the right direction with this floral note with multiple personalities. (Brielle is her name! )

So far, neither the name of the scent, nor the name of the house has been mentioned anywhere on this thread.

OK, Floris China Rose meets my "English House" guess, and has clove and peach and LBMN's Vanilla drydown discovery....

Is CallMeMo right about it being an English house??

EDIT: Is there jasmine in this?
    Last edited by LedByMyNose; 17th December 2009 at 09:14 PM.

Hmmm... Vanilla.... One pyramid for A I have seen gives vanilla among the basenotes, but not the one on the manufacturer's site. None of the pyramids I have seen specify jasmine as a note.

If you would, please elaborate on the fragrance development? Starts sort of fresh --> goes into fruity-floral --> and dries down like on Oriental? Or, starts fruity --> proceeds like a floral --> and ends up like a Gourmand? What are you getting?

There was a guess that it is a feminine fragrance and right now I feel that I can confirm this, yes it is marketed for women (but we all know that it does not really mean that a man can't pull it off).

As per #50, yes, there is a certain British connection.
    Last edited by Twolf; 17th December 2009 at 09:24 PM.