Code of Conduct

Thread: Fidji

Default Fidji

Can anyone comment on the current formulation of Fidji compared to the vintage one? Which one to get?

Default Re: Fidji

I haven't smelled Fidji in a million years so I'm no help...just hoping somebody will be able to chime in for you.

I miss the old but am still quite happy with the new. The biggest difference (if memory serves me correctly) is that the old had a chillier, more sparkly-green undertone, while the current version is warmer, and somewhat less green.

I love Fidji. The vintage did have a greener more sparkly vibe- probably galbanum and I bet they toned that note down It had that classic feel to it with a modern twist. Even though Fidji is the same age as I am, it is very modern for a 1960s perfume. I just love how it manages to say "summer" while still being a cool elegant floral.

I still love the newer version- I find the carnation note a bit stronger than in the vintage, and agree with Leesee about it being somehow warmer. It still has a clean almost soapy feel, which is why I love it in the heat.

*Something* about Fidji has always reminded me of l'Air du Temps, which is a good thing.

My bottle is from the early 90s. Would that be considered vintage? It smells very green to me.
    Evenstar

Quote Originally Posted by 3xasif View Post
    I love Fidji. The vintage did have a greener more sparkly vibe- probably galbanum and I bet they toned that note down It had that classic feel to it with a modern twist. Even though Fidji is the same age as I am, it is very modern for a 1960s perfume. I just love how it manages to say "summer" while still being a cool elegant floral.

I still love the newer version- I find the carnation note a bit stronger than in the vintage, and agree with Leesee about it being somehow warmer. It still has a clean almost soapy feel, which is why I love it in the heat.

*Something* about Fidji has always reminded me of l'Air du Temps, which is a good thing.
    Yes -- it reminds me of L'Air du Temps, also. I never realized that until you said it!

Quote Originally Posted by arwen_elf View Post
    My bottle is from the early 90s. Would that be considered vintage? It smells very green to me.
    I don't remember when I first read that Fidji had been reformulated, but if yours smells very green to you, it might be close to, if not exactly like, the Fidji I wore in the late 1970s. So, vintage or not, yours is probably much more like the Fidji of yesteryear.

Thank you all for the insight and comments. It only makes me want to rush out and get some... NOW!!! I think I'll try to get a vintage version of it, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Leesee View Post
    I miss the old but am still quite happy with the new. The biggest difference (if memory serves me correctly) is that the old had a chillier, more sparkly-green undertone, while the current version is warmer, and somewhat less green.

I'd agree with that. Also, the newer formulations smells more 'chemical' to me. It could be that my memory of it is playing tricks on me though - I haven't had a bottle of the original formulation for something like 17 years. But I do still love it. It's outrageously strong to my nose though.
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Quote Originally Posted by Leesee View Post
    Yes -- it reminds me of L'Air du Temps, also. I never realized that until you said it!

I could never compare Fidji with L'Air du Temps - and how odd that I've recently bought new bottles of both!
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

The original smelt as if a lush green floral shrub had many small animals hidden in it, with a hint of earth. It had green, it had floral, but it also had a nice animalic undercurrent which is not in the newer formulations. I used to call it a dirty, flowery, bush scent.
    I also find the comparisons between Fidji and L'Air du Temps interesting. I would never have thought of them as kindred fragrances, each seems so representative of a different family.
    Last edited by Brielle87; 10th December 2009 at 10:26 PM.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser sa source

Well I haven't had a bottle of Fidji in a few years but this thread and the descriptions have awakened a craving for it!

When I worked in perfume I recall mentioning my perceived similarities between the Fidji and L'Air. We did side by sniffing and there
    was some consensus- this was years ago so om trying to recall the details, but I'm pretty sure carnation came up in the discussions. The things
    that go on at the perfume counter when business is slow! I do tend to sniff (imagine?) similarities between frags that could be just *me* lol

I think that was around 1997, and it was the last year that dept store carried Fidji. Now I can only find it at a little perfume shop here. Wondering
    if Fidji ever existed in a parfum?

Wondering
    if Fidji ever existed in a parfum?
    Oh yes love, it did and still does, when and where you are able to find it. It is exquisite, simply exquisite. It is worth seeking out. My first bottle was the extrait and the bottle alone was lovely and a treasure in and of itself. Now i think i might have to go looking for an extrait, if i find a bottle i will share.

I was just on ebay and noticed the huge jump in people bidding on auctions for Fidji. Are all my little bunnies out Fidji hunting?

LOL Brielle that is too funny, are you watching me? *looks over my shoulder*

No I have not bid but was looking at this- too expensive but I love solid or concreta parfums.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/VINTAGE-FIDJI-PER...0#ht_806wt_939

LOL Brielle that is too funny, are you watching me? *looks over my shoulder*

No I have not bid but was looking at this- too expensive but I love solid or concreta parfums.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/VINTAGE-FIDJI-PER...0#ht_806wt_939
    Let us think on this; a weekend getaway at a spa or a Fidji Perfume Stick. That is terribly expensive, considering it was once a give-away.
    Try ebay in the states also, they have a few nice Fidgi minis that are definitely older/vintage; not to mention much more reasonably priced.