Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Question Best heliotrope dominant fragrances?

Looking for the best heliotrope dominant fragrances. Hope you can help.

Default Re: Best heliotrope dominant fragrances?

Got a lot of great suggestions here..
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Oh my favourite helitotrope perfume did not make that list! Paul & Joe Blanc, soft creamy floral loveliness. I love this one, and it always gets lots of compliments. Surprising sillage for such a soft perfume. The nose is JC Ellena and the notes are:

Top: hawthorn, angelica & almond
    Heart: sweet pea, freesia, lily & rose;
    Base: musk, heliotrope & milk.

But I totally agree that the oft-mentioned Guerlain Apres l'Ondee is the queen of heliotrope. Perfection.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Have you smelled L'Artisan Jour de Fête?

Post Thanks / Like

As in the link. The classic Guerlains Apres, Bleu are heavy with it especially the edp or parfum versions.

Etro Heliotrope or PTLiver Heliotrope Blanc are two I really like.

Caron Faranesena (sp).
    DONNA

Post Thanks / Like

Do try Jeffrey Dame's Lullaby (available from Irma Shorell).
    It is quite beautiful. Similar to Apres l'Ondee.
    I also love Heliotrope Blanc by Piver and the Etro Heliotrope.
    Apres l'Ondee was so lovely it made me cry!!
    Last edited by kewart; 10th December 2009 at 08:15 AM. Reason: spelling

Post Thanks / Like

I have another one to add - Philosophy Pure Grace. It's enormously wearable and easily available, plus they have lots of bath and shower products that go along with it.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Quote Originally Posted by kewart View Post
    Do try Jeffrey Dame's Lullaby (available from Irma Shorell).
    It is quite beautiful. Similar to Apres l'Ondee.
    I also love Heliotrope Blanc by Piver and the Etro Heliotrope.
    Apres l'Ondee was so lovely it made me cry!!
    Ok I must try Lullaby, I had never heard of it, but because I had the same reaction to Apres l'Ondee as you, Lullaby sounds like a must try for me

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 3xasif View Post
    Ok I must try Lullaby, I had never heard of it, but because I had the same reaction to Apres l'Ondee as you, Lullaby sounds like a must try for me
    Same here ! D / N Tesla- as you are a Guerlain fan - definitely Apres L'Ondee - it's out of this world good.
    I must also try Lullaby !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a little time on my hands . . . and thought I would revisit the only two obvious examples of this note I actually own, Apres l'Ondee and L'Eau d'Hiver.

Apres L'Ondee, for me, is incomparably beautiful and a little melancholy; a gift from the Paris of a century ago, standing alongside some of Debussy's piano works from the same period, perhaps 'La Fille aux Cheveux de Lin' or more aptly 'Danse Sacree et Danse Profane' because while Apres L'Ondee has an almost aloof beauty, beyond mere mortals, it (she) is also incredibly alluring.

L'Eau d'Hiver is of our time and that makes it all the more fascinating because it seems to look at me with one raised eyebrow as if to say 'well?', in the full knowledge that however I respond will totally give me away. I find it reassuring that in the opening of a wired-up and altogether more pragmatic century, it seems to say there is still time, if one has the inclination, to stop and reflect on beauty and I thank Jean Claude Ellena and Frederic Malle for offering that suggestion . . . one I also sense in recent piano works from Craig Armstrong ('A Gentle Piece', 'In My Own Words' ) and Ryuichi Sakamoto ('Amore', 'A Flower Is Not A Flower' ) another two of our own 21st Century impressionists.

(Not for clubbing and longevity - well, let's not go there )

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I must agree with mr. reasonable - Apres L'Ondee and L' Eau d'Hiver are to me the preeminent examples of heliotrope dominant fragrances.

What happened to L'Heure Bleue here? Isn't it a marvel of spiciness and cherry pie delicious heliotrope...? I'd call L'Heure Bleue the queen, and Après L'Ondée the princess

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. G View Post
    What happened to L'Heure Bleue here? Isn't it a marvel of spiciness and cherry pie delicious heliotrope...? I'd call L'Heure Bleue the queen, and Après L'Ondée the princess
    Oh, thank goodness. I opened this thread last week, all ready to say "L'Heure Bleue, of course!" but, then I saw all the Apres L'Ondee and second guessed my nose. "Wait...is L'Heure Bleue not heliotrope? I thought it was heliotrope. Am I thinking of Apres L'Ondee? What is with my darn nose?!?"

So, yes, now I'll say L'Heure Bleue. Definitely.
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

*~~________________________________________~~*

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post

L'Eau d'Hiver is of our time and that makes it all the more fascinating because it seems to look at me with one raised eyebrow as if to say 'well?', in the full knowledge that however I respond will totally give me away. I find it reassuring that in the opening of a wired-up and altogether more pragmatic century, it seems to say there is still time, if one has the inclination, to stop and reflect on beauty and I thank Jean Claude Ellena and Frederic Malle for offering that suggestion . . . one I also sense in recent piano works from Craig Armstrong ('A Gentle Piece', 'In My Own Words' ) and Ryuichi Sakamoto ('Amore', 'A Flower Is Not A Flower' ) another two of our own 21st Century impressionists.

(Not for clubbing and longevity - well, let's not go there )
    I feel like Jean Claude Ellena was thinking l'Eau d' Hiver on more of a cloudy, airy and slightly warmer note when he created P&J Blanc.

Plus, at $60 for a 50ml bottle, it's an astounding deal.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes you are right Mr.Guerlain ! LHB is Queen and Apres L'Ondee is princess ! How could we forget you LHB ?!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Quote Originally Posted by Wordbird View Post
    I have another one to add - Philosophy Pure Grace. It's enormously wearable and easily available, plus they have lots of bath and shower products that go along with it.
    I ADORE Pure Grace, it's up there as one of my absolute favourites, but it's not strong enough or long-lasting enough, and I don't have enough of it. I could seriously bathe in the stuff - and the bath and shower add-ons are terrific too. It's the most divine clean fresh fragrence, with a sensuality to it that I just can't get enough of. ADORE!!
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Post Thanks / Like

I was just marveling at L'HB, because I am wearing it tonight--lovely cherry and almond with resinous underpinnings. Somehow it reminds me of a "cherry" version of PdN Le Temps d'Une Fete. Or maybe I should compare the PdN to Guerlain, lol

Post Thanks / Like

Agree Mr. G. I originally included it as 'the orchestral version' of 'Danse' in my earlier post but figured I was getting altogether too flowery with the musical allusions and skipped it. I think because L'HB has a less ethereal character and so much more body with the other notes it tells a different story and doesn't jump to mind so obviously as a heliotrope driven fragrance? I bought the Parfum of L'HB and like others here would love to find the original Al'O Extrait one day! These two represent 'perfumery' to my rather inexperienced nose.

PS Thanks 3xasif - I was not aware of Blanc, will keep an eye out. And I see Pierre Bourdon did Bleu. Interesting.
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 11th December 2009 at 02:21 AM.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    ...I think because L'HB has a less ethereal character and so much more body with the other notes it tells a different story and doesn't jump to mind so obviously as a heliotrope driven fragrance? I bought the Parfum of L'HB and like others here would love to find the original Al'O Extrait one day! These two represent 'perfumery' to my rather inexperienced nose...
    I agree with mr. reasonable.

On my skin, L'Heure Bleue is a complex, wild, multi-varied fragrance. I smell so many things: powder, spices, pastry like iris, Guerlinade, etc. The heliotrope is one facet along with all of these notes and to my nose it doesn't have as much prominence at all. I own vintage juice too (PdT)...so I know my juice is not reformulated. However, I must admit the Eau de Cologne version of L' Heure Bleue (which is my favorite) is a bit more cherry/almond-y...so perhaps that's the heliotrope coming the surface. Still, it's not the scent I think about applying when I have a craving for heliotrope.

In addition, I have recently had the opportunity to sample the Apres L' Ondee parfum/extrait. It's nice, but I didn't have the insanely positive reaction to it, that I expected I would. It's very hushed and wore very, very close to my skin (and I applied a LOT of it).

Every time I wear Apres L' Ondee Eau de Toilette (I wore some tonight) I think to myself: WHY can't Guerlain release an affordable, stronger version of this?! Because IMO, the only thing even close to this description is Quand Vient La Pluie. Which is just ridiculously expensive. Frustrating.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 11th December 2009 at 02:46 AM.