Code of Conduct

Default Czech & Speakes Sample Pack My Thoughts

I have received a nice package from them containing their range of scents along with a nice booklet on the fragrances. Below is my take on each one.

No 88

This opens up very rosy and soapy to my nose which does remind me of potpourri that you can buy in a supermarket, The soapy rose smells constrained and stuffy and more like roses that are withering. When this settles down upon the skin the scent reminds me of a rose joss stick that has been taken out of the packet and smelled up close.

NEROLI

This scent is very refreshing and light and smells of orange blossoms. It comes across as a barber shop scent that you would not be surprised to find in your room in a top class hotel.

A most delightful inoffensive uplifting scent to spray on after a shave before you head out.

FRANKINCENSE & MYRRH

I was quite unprepared for the menthol/detergent attack to my senses on the opening, I have not smelled anything like this before in a cologne. I can see what they were trying to do as I have smelled real Frankincense & Myrrh incense resin before. And I can smell a little of that in this though done much lighter.

Unless you re tune your olfactory senses and have a base line for what the real stuff smells like this will come across like a sweet smelling cleaning detergent. I luckily can get past that association to get the Frankincense And Myrrh experience with this scent. But only just.

DARK ROSE

This is a beautiful refined rose scent and I only wish the rose in No 88 smelled like this. It reminds me of Lyric Man by Amouage but where the rose scent there is soapy and untidy this is pure elegance and it behaves and does not let itself go as Amouage's offering.

A rose of class and elegance that can be worn by either gender, very good indeed.

OXFORD & CAMBRIDGE

This is a very refreshing herbal take on lavender with a peppermint which is blended in so well. This scent reminds me of those lavender aromatic bags you can buy to freshen up your wardrobe. As it drys down I can smell the rosemary more in the composition. This is the best lavender scent that I have smelled so far. Thumbs up

CITRUS PARADISE

Wooohhh the grapefruit is very sharp in the opening with this one and it smells like something you would clean the bathroom with. I do not like this one at all the more I smell this scent the more it smells like a urinal with urinal cakes. Horrible.

MIMOSA

A ladies jasmine type floral that smells dated a type of scent you could imagine a old lay would wear in the 1950's.

CUBA

I have a full bottle of this and the best of the line up. Like everyone says on first application you get a strong opening of mint and lime. Then you get a dirty note like you have just pulled a geranium plant up from the earth. Then a strong sweet rum animal musky tobacco note takes hold as time goes by. Great stuff.

IN CONCLUSION

The winners for me are Cuba, Neroli, Dark Rose and Oxford and Camebridge.
    Last edited by Jack Hunter; 8th December 2009 at 09:27 PM.

Default Re: Czech & Speakes Sample Pack My Thoughts

Great reviews, Jack. I agree with almost all of what you've said. Cuba is the only one I've found FBW as well, although I might consider F&M and O&C as possibilities sometime in the future. I've never really gotten the whole #88 fandom thing. I'll re-test Dark Rose now because of your review, but I already have some rose-prominant fragrances that would be hard to beat IMHO (Aramis 900, Dominico Caracini, L'Artisan Vd'R).

Does this mean I'll finally be getting my sample pack? I've even purchased a few full bottles directly from them with no samples yet!

Quote Originally Posted by PorkFat View Post
    Does this mean I'll finally be getting my sample pack? I've even purchased a few full bottles directly from them with no samples yet!
    I requested my samples in July and have only just received them. I had a email from them saying they have been out of stock and have finally got some sample packs done. They say they are delivering all the back dated sample packs within the next two weeks. So fingers crossed.

I recently received my sample pack too. Nice little rundown you've given us. No. 88 was a huge letdown, Dark Rose was much nicer (but not quite as nice as my recent rose/oud favourite Midnight Oud). My girlfriend loved Oxford and Cambridge, and neither of us found Citrus Paradise anywhere near as offensive as the reviews made it out to me. I'll give Havana a go now.

Nice reviews and I can see how you arrived at all these conclusions. Currently I own Cuba, Oxford & Cambridge and Frankincense & Myrrh. I like all three of these. For the most part the No. 88 fan base was built on the earlier formulation which was changed a few years ago. Since the change the excitement over No. 88 has slowly died out. But, even though the older formula was richer and more hypnotic it was still one of my least favorite men's rose scents and I personally like the new one more. However, I know I am in the minority here on Basenotes in this opinion.

I requested samples from C & S last spring around March and have gotten several apology e mails saying we ran out and they will come later. Never sent me samples, but thats ok as I've smelled them all anyway from Luckyscent.

O&C is one of the best full-bodied lavender fragrances I have tried. It has a rounded richness to its herbal-lavender accord which makes it immensely enjoyable.

No.88 can be a dense cloud of confusion at times, but with a light hand it imparts its uniqueness.

Citrus Paradisi was somewhat of a disappointment - the pepper coriander heart is too dry and the base is even more so. It needs florals and wood notes to round it out.

Cuba is a great rum-mojito fragrance - the base was cheapened a while ago but it seems like its back to its original formulation.
    -

I agree zztop, O&C is an amazing lavender fragrance. There is a lot of real oakmoss in the base too, which is providing most of the body of the scent.

One of the most natural scents out there that's not truly all-natural. A great and therapeutic scent that I will definitely add to my wardrobe someday.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Nice reviews. I got some samples of this line recently and here are my thoughts.

No.88-- legendary for good reason, even if the new stuff has been reformulated. I do get the frangipani/nag champa character and so do others when I wear it-- I asked a buddy his opinion without saying anything about it, he said it smelled like "one of those 'goth' hot topic stores" and that it was really good. I'd wear it anywhere that I would normally wear Antaeus.

Frankincense & Myrrh-- I didn't really care for it much either, surprising because of how much I love these notes. Smelled like of those weird carpet cleaning deodorant powders that you shake onto your carpet and then vacuum away.

Oxford & Cambridge-- I liked this one, and thought it similar to SL's Encens et Lavande. Maybe a bit simple for me, but very easy to wear.

Cuba-- WOW. This one is really interesting. I agree with the original reviewer's description of the evolution. For me, it starts out like a love child of CdG's Sequoia and Montale's Oud Cuir d' Arabie with tobacco. The drydown is really nice and the dirtiness in this one is done in a way that is still easy to wear. Full bottle worthy.

for me only no.88 and dark rose are worth mentioning maybe thats because im new in roses and sniff only about 6-7 rose based frags
    Last edited by yrk; 9th December 2009 at 10:18 PM.
    Tell Hugo, he isnt boss anymore.
    Nieruchomości Gorzw

Cuba - wow, tobacco is not really my thing, but this was intense. From the dirty mint to rummy cigars and sweat, this is is my moustache's perfect companion.
    Neroli - fresh and simple, a clean shave in perfume form for sure.
    Oxford & Cambridge - really nice, bright and herbal, beautifully fresh. Don't normally go for lavender, but with the mint and the oakmoss this dials the relaxation station down a bit, making for a soft, green, simple perfume.

I'd say of all I've tried, Cuba would have to be the best, even if it's not something I'd wear myself. Oxford & Cambridge is the only one I'd think about buying.

I got the sample pack months ago and was pretty impressed.

I already had a bottle of No. 88 (reformulated version) and am a big fan of it.

I liked most of the others, too, especially Cuba, O&C, and F&M.

I was a little disappointed by Dark Rose, which is nice, but not as nice as very similar frags like Black Aoud and Black Tie.

I tried no.88 not too long ago and I really didn't get it
    I am middle eastern so it smelled very familiar to me for some reason (not in a good way either)
    I have yet to try the rest but I def will after this
    thanks!
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    CUBA

I have a full bottle of this and the best of the line up. Like everyone says on first application you get a strong opening of mint and lime. Then you get a dirty note like you have just pulled a geranium plant up from the earth. Then a strong sweet rum animal musky tobacco note takes hold as time goes by. Great stuff.

IN CONCLUSION

The winners for me are Cuba, Neroli, Dark Rose and Oxford and Camebridge.
    That does it, I have to get a sample of Cuba in my next set of Luckyscent samples. I can't wait for C&S to send it. I already have my favorites: the reformed versions of No. 88 and Frankincense and Myrrh (it's detergent qualities you describe I cannot even smell a trace of- in fact it's probably my favorite C&S I've tried so far). I'll have to retry O&C but it didn't strike me as well as it has others the first sniff around.
    Last edited by PorkFat; 10th December 2009 at 03:02 AM.

Where F&M is concerned lavender is a huge player . . . so if you think of it that way it may be a little easier to understand. I really like it but not to wear it so much for some reason. I'm never quite satisfied with it.

Neroli is a charmer but if you buy a bottle and spray it on liberally you'll find her unfaithful after a couple of hours she gone for good!

Don't try vintage 88 ever. You'll only experience heartbreak!