Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 61
  1. #1

    Default Obscure fragrances you wear frequently?

    I want to hear about those obscure scents, the ones that are very rarely, if ever, discussed on Basenotes, that are a part of your regular rotation. Not just obscure frags you like to use now and then, but that you use frequently.

    From my own wardrobe:

    D.R. Harris and Co. – His Cologne: I think of this like a combination of Egoiste, Carven Homme, and Goutal Sables. The notes I get are lemon, rosewood, immortelle, and bittersweet spices…very old school and a bit stuffy but with a slightly musky dry-down to keep it attractive. I wear this at least once a week.
    “I wanna say something. I’m gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you don’t, send it right back…."

  2. #2
    Pollux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    http://goo.gl/1zgdDl
    Posts
    4,239

    Default Re: Obscure fragrances you wear frequently?

    Quote Originally Posted by arlecchino View Post
    I want to hear about those obscure scents, the ones that are very rarely, if ever, discussed on Basenotes, that are a part of your regular rotation. Not just obscure frags you like to use now and then, but that you use frequently.

    From my own wardrobe:

    D.R. Harris and Co. – His Cologne: I think of this like a combination of Egoiste, Carven Homme, and Goutal Sables. The notes I get are lemon, rosewood, immortelle, and bittersweet spices…very old school and a bit stuffy but with a slightly musky dry-down to keep it attractive. I wear this at least once a week.
    Seems nice!

    Drugstore scents:

    American - British Sterling, Royal Copenhagen, Jovan's Musk
    Argentine - Chester, Chester Ice, Alliance, Grandal, McTaylor, Colbert
    Spanish - Agua de Lavanda Puig, Vetiver de Puig, Agua Brava, Heno de Pravia and Agua de Pravia 1905, Ambar, Sándalo and Vetiver by Zara
    Global ones - Old Spice and Canoe

    Direct Marketing:
    Avon's - Legacy, Woody Musk, Musk for Men and Black Touch
    Mary Kay - Tribute and Domain

    I use these before training due to their fleeting character. You apply them and in hours, they are gone, so they won't mix up with sweat, something that can be a nightmare to other members of the team. Or when at home just for the sake of it.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Obscure fragrances you wear frequently?

    AromiErotici needs to respond to this thread because he is a maestro of little known, obscure but very good scents from days gone by. Some that he has turned me on to are:

    MCM Success, Sybaris, Sagamore, Capucci Punjab and Monsieur Carven and Monsieur Rochas - all are excellent in their own way ! But they are kind of hard to find. You have too look between the cracks and crevices in the older pfume shops or on ebay now and again - they show up from time to time.

    Another fragrance that is discontinued but is outstanding if you can find it Gucci Rush. This may have been the first real incense fragrance to hit the mainstream market but it was before its time and got discontinued too fast for people to really discover it. A fantastic incense scent - highly recommended.
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 14th December 2009 at 06:35 AM.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Obscure fragrances you wear frequently?

    • Le Jardin Retrouve - Eau de Vetyver
    • Lorenzo Siena - Palio
    • Bogner - Deep Forest

  5. #5

    Default Re: Obscure fragrances you wear frequently?

    Le Dandy by Parfum d'Orsay, if only for the namesake....

    Shiseido Murasaki, to remind me of my girlhood.
    Last edited by Primrose; 9th December 2009 at 06:45 PM.
    "...her fragrance all in my keeping; softly she comes in the night." Lyrics, Gordon Lightfoot, "Softly."

  6. #6

    Default Re: Obscure fragrances you wear frequently?

    I used to wear Caswell-Massey Persian Leather exclusively for years, and still wear it occasionally.

    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    ...Another fragrance that is discontinued but is outstanding if you can find it Gucci Rush. This may have been the first real incense fragrance to hit the mainstream market but it was before its time and got discontinued too fast for people to really discover it. A fantastic vanilla/ incense scent - highly recommended.
    Vanilla? No. Cedar - YES.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

  7. #7
    Critic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    United Kingdom, Woking
    Posts
    538

    Default Re: Obscure fragrances you wear frequently?

    Shiseido Basala
    YSL Jazz Prestige
    Check out my Fragrance Review Blog

    Wishlist: Byredo Pulp, Creed Aventus, Montale Black Aoud, Original Santal, Dior Jules, Invasion Barbare, Pure Distance M

  8. #8

    Default Re: Obscure fragrances you wear frequently?

    Polo Crest for me.....Gary

  9. #9

    Default Re: Obscure fragrances you wear frequently?

    Hugo Boss Baldessarini Concentrate.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Obscure fragrances you wear frequently?

    Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    I used to wear Caswell-Massey Persian Leather exclusively for years, and still wear it occasionally.


    Vanilla? No. Cedar - YES.
    Awesome scent. Just found a large tester of Gucci Rush for Men at lunch today at a local shop.

  11. #11
    Dependent

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,226

    Default Re: Obscure fragrances you wear frequently?

    Most recently - S-Perume: S-ex.
    Last edited by MFJ; 13th July 2010 at 05:05 PM.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Obscure fragrances you wear frequently?

    Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    I used to wear Caswell-Massey Persian Leather exclusively for years, and still wear it occasionally.


    Vanilla? No. Cedar - YES.
    I guess that sweeetness in the opening I smell in this is Lavender possibly combining with the Sandalwood. Anyway it has a sweet mellow opening then it dries out into an all wood incense that is one of the nicer incense type fragrances I've tried. Recommended!

  13. #13

    Default Re: Obscure fragrances you wear frequently?

    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    I guess that sweeetness in the opening I smell in this is Lavender possibly combining with the Sandalwood. Anyway it has a sweet mellow opening then it dries out into an all wood incense that is one of the nicer incense type fragrances I've tried. Recommended!
    Buzzlepuff, in my haste, I forgot to agree with you regarding Gucci Rush. I find it eminently wearable, especially for informal occasions and knocking around the house. Very uplifting.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

  14. #14

    Default Re: Obscure fragrances you wear frequently?

    Wazamba found a little goes a long way one two sprays and its wearable frequently

  15. #15

    Default Re: Obscure fragrances you wear frequently?

    Masaki Matsushima M;0°C
    Tell Hugo, he isnt boss anymore.
    Nieruchomości Gorzów

  16. #16
    N_Tesla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Center of the Universe; California.
    Posts
    4,599
    Blog Entries
    2

    Smile Re: Obscure fragrances you wear frequently?

    Le Parfum by Barbara Bui, Vietnamese fashion designer from Paris had this perfume made for her by Fermeniche. A contract problem caused it to go into discontinued status but, it is absolutely wonderful.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Obscure fragrances you wear frequently?

    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    AromiErotici needs to respond to this thread because he is a maestro of little known, obscure but very good scents from days gone by. Some that he has turned me on to are:

    MCM Success, Sybaris, Sagamore, Capucci Punjab and Monsieur Carven and Monsieur Rochas - all are excellent in their own way ! But they are kind of hard to find. You have too look between the cracks and crevices in the older pfume shops or on ebay now and again - they show up from time to time.

    Another fragrance that is discontinued but is outstanding if you can find it Gucci Rush. This may have been the first real incense fragrance to hit the mainstream market but it was before its time and got discontinued too fast for people to really discover it. A fantastic vanilla/ incense scent - highly recommended.
    Aromi sent me Success, Sagamore, and Punjab, in addition to a few others. Of the 7 or so he sent me, the Success and Fresh Cannabis are my favs. Cannabis is kinda like a slightly ligher Amen or BMen. I am almost certain I would trade my Amen for the Fresh. The Success is a very classy fragrance. I feel sophisticated in it. I may purchase this one shortly.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Obscure fragrances you wear frequently?

    I've been wearing these three a bit regularly in the last month or so:

    Malbec

    Pancaldi

    Furyo

    Also, since finding a few more bottles, I have been more liberal with the Fougere Royale this year.
    Griff
    _____________________
    Follow me on FaceBook and Twitter
    And of course, eBay Radio
    Currently wearing: Parure by Guerlain

  19. #19

    Default Re: Obscure fragrances you wear frequently?

    Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    Le Parfum by Barbara Bui, Vietnamese fashion designer from Paris had this perfume made for her by Fermeniche. A contract problem caused it to go into discontinued status but, it is absolutely wonderful.

    Barbara Bui? Doesn't she work on the Howard Stern Show?

    (Sorry, couldn't resist)
    Griff
    _____________________
    Follow me on FaceBook and Twitter
    And of course, eBay Radio
    Currently wearing: Parure by Guerlain

  20. #20
    AromiErotici
    Guest

    Default Re: Obscure fragrances you wear frequently?

    These are bomb frags

    Pancaldi ( green so smooth it's like glass)
    Aigner Superfragrance for Men ( best herbaceous scent I've ever come across)
    Antaeus Sport ( I find it deeper and more versatile)
    Ted Lapidus PH circa 1978 ( perfect smoke Leonard PH tried and failed to copy)
    Balenciaga PH ( a smooth and civilized Kouros that's downright beautiful smelling)
    MCM Twenty four Evening ( dark civet-fest with a volume control)
    Moschino PH ( spicy and outstanding use of mace)
    Sagamore ( (no words necessary)
    Sybaris ( substantial herbal scent with class)
    Lauder for Men ( borderline dirty fresh fougere that fits anywhere,anytime....)
    Success ( Tobacco with leather out the wazoo)
    Versailles PH ( eclectic and sophisticated oriental bomb with pimento)
    Aigner #1 ( leather so smooth it may slide clean off of you)
    Gucci PH circa 1976 ( after this, you'd look at the modern versions and go "WTF"?)
    Monsieur Carven ( sexy in a bottle. Best implementation of civet you can find)
    Punjab ( The most badass leather I have found yet )
    Last edited by AromiErotici; 10th December 2009 at 04:19 AM.

  21. #21
    Dimitrios's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Beyond the Blue Mountains
    Posts
    3,454

    Default Re: Obscure fragrances you wear frequently?

    thanks Aromi ...
    about 4 of that list of yours : )
    & for the past few years i been working my way thru some extinct & scarce bottles of A/S - Colognes .
    > Paros by Avon , works beautifully as a body splash then a few hits of Kouros
    Huon Pine , a frag made in Tasmania that i been using mostly on its own for a while now .
    Cobb & Co , AS /Cologne , another Aussie only release that goes well with many of my musky frags




  22. #22
    Basenotes Plus

    JaimeB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Francisco, California
    Posts
    5,446
    Blog Entries
    148

    Default Re: Obscure fragrances you wear frequently?

    I wore Basala the other day and got a compliment from a young lady at a coffee shop.

    I like to wear Eau d'Hermčs fairly often, and Eau de Givenchy, which is my SotD for December 10.

    I pull out Cacharel Nemo once in a while, as well as Pour l'Homme by the same house.

    Homme de Grčs
    is another one I like to wear from time to time.
    Yr good bud,

    JaimeB

    "Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

    My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

    Fiat justitia ruat cćlum.

    Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

    Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

    Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

    Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca
    Currently wearing: Red Vetyver by Montale

  23. #23
    kxe003's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Fayetteville, AR
    Posts
    872

    Default Re: Obscure fragrances you wear frequently?

    Lolita Lempicka, Intense Euphoria, Animale Animale

  24. #24

    Default Re: Obscure fragrances you wear frequently?

    John Players special Classic Green
    (somewhat obscure) On El by J del Pozo
    Marbert Homme

  25. #25
    SillageMonger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Wakefield, Michigan
    Posts
    1,134

    Default Re: Obscure fragrances you wear frequently?

    There are three fragrances that I wear quite often that I know no one else at my workplace wears:

    Tactics by Shiseido
    Tabac Original Extreme
    Otto Kern Man

    Currently wearing: Bijan for Men by Bijan

  26. #26

    Default Re: Obscure fragrances you wear frequently?

    I wear Agua Lavanda at least about 5 times a month, I love this scent

  27. #27

    Default Re: Obscure fragrances you wear frequently?

    GFT Royal Cologne
    GFT Fougena
    GFT Sylvester
    D R Harris 'His' Cologne (mentioned in the first post)
    Last edited by joe mcclaine; 17th December 2009 at 07:25 AM.

  28. #28

    Default Re: Obscure fragrances you wear frequently?

    Quote Originally Posted by Inselaffe View Post
    • Le Jardin Retrouve - Eau de Vetyver
    • Lorenzo Siena - Palio
    • Bogner - Deep Forest
    Le Jardin Retrouve - Eau de Vetyver too!
    And Cuir de Russie by the same House also.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

  29. #29
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Reside in McLean, NYC, Manuel Antonio & Búzios
    Posts
    138,892

    Default Re: Obscure fragrances you wear frequently?

    Genghis Khan by Marc de la Morandiere
    Niagara by Courreges
    Gatsby by Pacoma Parfums

  30. #30

    Default Re: Obscure fragrances you wear frequently?

    Quote Originally Posted by Inselaffe View Post
    • Bogner - Deep Forest
    I always thought that scent sounded so intriguing

Similar Threads

  1. Genki Wear introduces Star Trek fragrances.
    By N_Tesla in forum General Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 8th April 2012, 03:02 PM
  2. fragrances "for the baby" - NE1 wear these?
    By seattlelight in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 7th March 2009, 10:54 PM
  3. THE MAIN reason for you to wear fragrances?
    By PigeonMurderer in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 13th November 2006, 11:29 PM
  4. What fragrances do celebrities wear...
    By PigeonMurderer in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 28th November 2005, 07:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000