Code of Conduct

Default Sandalwood by Art of Shaving

I'd like your input on this fragrance. I've read the reviews in the fragrance directory but they don't make me any wiser. Is it anything like Egoiste? I like Egoiste, but it's a bit on the sweet/heavy side. I don't have much experience with the sandalwood note. I own Egoiste, have a sample of Sandalwood by Geo F Trumper (which to my nose is almost identical to Egoiste) and finally I have the sandalwood shaving cream from Crabtree & Evelyn. The pine needles and eucalyptus notes in AOS sounds different and interesting, but I can't imagine how it works together with sandalwood. Is AOS very spicy? And what about the quality, projection and longevity? Other comments? Thanks

Default Re: Sandalwood by Art of Shaving

AOS Sandalwood is a synthetic from what I've read, be that as it may, I don't find it to be the same as Egoiste at all, not even close. It is not spicy IMO, and the eucalyptus is not evident in my view. Crabtree & Evelns sandalwood is yet again distinctively different than the AOS sandalwood, like apples and oranges.
    I find the longevity to be quiet good, close to 8 hours for me. I love their shaving creams, top quality in my book and the cologne is right up there with them.

Basenotes Institution

I like it.

I think it is NOTHING like Egoiste (which I also love).

It is very eucalyptus prominent, IMO. Which is the part I like about it, but I can see how this might annoy others.

This is not a good candidate for a blind buy.

Send an inquiry to AOS. They send out really nice sample packs.

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

interesting. i'm looking for a good synthetic sandalwood for regular usage.

eric b

Not like Egoiste at all. The eucalyptus and conifer notes add a slightly medicinal zing to AOS Sandalwood, which fits with the barbershop vibe. There's no creamy or softer mid to base development either - it stays pretty bracing. I like it, it kind of reminds me of the old version of Crabtree & Evelyn's sandalwood scent.

Nothing like Egoiste. Get a sample.

I've got it and kind of like it but don't wear it very often. I believe it's an "oil" not EdT of EdC for whatever that's worth..

It's kind of heavy. I recall fantastic longevity, good sillage and a bit of projection too. Quite masculine.

The knock I believe I've read on it by some of the better noses in here was that it is very "synthetic" sandalwood.There is a bit of a eucalyptus note that some think makes it smell a bit medicinal too.

Probably the most linear scent I've got.

One me, it is what it is from beginning to end. Not a lot of notes here as I recall.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 10th December 2009 at 12:17 AM.

I found it to be much more wearable than Egoiste (don't like that synthetic fruity thing in Egoiste). There is also Brit Gold and Etro's Sandal, but they have strong spices, so it depends upon what you are looking for. I don't like really strong a sandalwood note, but AOS is one that I can deal with for the several hours that a decent frag lasts.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 10th December 2009 at 03:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I like it.

I think it is NOTHING like Egoiste (which I also love).

It is very eucalyptus prominent, IMO. Which is the part I like about it, but I can see how this might annoy others.

This is not a good candidate for a blind buy.
    Ditto.

Renato

Too linear and medicinal for me. Swapped my bottle away years ago.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

My advice is to get a sample of AOS Sandalwood and then compare it to a sample of Diptyque Tam Dao.

I wore a few samples of AOS Sandalwood because at the time I was impressed with the word smiths that these companies hire who wax poetic about the authenticity of the sandalwood oil derived from some sacred tree, or some other such nonsense. If you fall for what these people write, you would purchase every fragrance offered by Luckyscent, Aedes, Neimans, Saks and Nordstrom.

After a few wears, I found AOS Sandalwood to be a predictably very generic and boring department store offering. At the time, I was disappointed. Now, this has become my expectation.

I think after the comparison, you may very well fall in love with Tam Dao, as many of us have.

Please make sure to sample first.

And by the way, as others have remarked, I find no comparison to Chanel Egoiste.

i found it very synthetic...cant imagine going thru a bottle of this one.. (AOS ie.)

if you wish to experience sandalwood in pure form; try Lorenzo Villoresi Sandalo. i have no idea how he pulled this one off. pure genius. Tam Dao too is a na excellent recommendation.
    Last edited by jenson; 10th December 2009 at 01:49 PM.

Ooooo I'm really interested in trying this! (and the rest of their shaving products!)

Smile Re: Sandalwood by Art of Shaving

Quote Originally Posted by warlandsboy View Post
    Ooooo I'm really interested in trying this! (and the rest of their shaving products!)
    It is a bit off topic. But actually J.M. Fraser Polar Ice shave cream is, in my opinion, far superior to AOS. If I am not mistaken, J.M Fraser cream is made in Canada.

One time I did an A to B comparison between AOS and J.M Fraser. I shaved with AOS lavender one day, and the next day with a day older razor, shaved with J.M Fraser. The shave with J.M Fraser was so superior and my AOS tubs had been used and could not be returned, I ended up giving three tubs of AOS cream to the Goodwill. True story. To me, no doubt whatsoever, J.M Fraser is far superior to AOS.

Economic Bonus: 8 ounces of J.M. Fraser goes for $10 USD. 5.3 ounces of AOS goes for $22 USD. J.M Fraser is the superior cream and also far cheaper.

TJ

Fraser's cream is better, no doubt. I like AOS's shave soaps better than any of the top-shelf English brands, but their creams are just okay. The Fraser's Polar Ice is nice; the Mosswood is, roughly, a take on Penhaligon's English Fern. The standard Fraser's cream is actually the least expensive of all. A 14 oz. tub runs about $12 and has a perfunctory but more than livable citrus scent.

But that's a digression. AOS sandalwood EDT that smelled like the AOS soap would be a dream come true. Unfortunately, it doesn't. I still think it's a very good - but, yes, medicinal - take on sandalwood.

Regards,
    T

I have now sampled and bought it. It's no wow factor, but it's different and nice enough to be FBW. As you said it's got nothing in common with Egoiste. It's fresh and transparent, I don't get much of the eucalyptus but a lot of pine needles in the beginning - it almost smell like a cheap pine scented air freshener in the beginning, but later it gets a lot better. Very "barbershopish", if you like Rive Gauche you'll probably like this.

Quote Originally Posted by irrbloss View Post
    I have now sampled and bought it. It's no wow factor, but it's different and nice enough to be FBW. As you said it's got nothing in common with Egoiste. It's fresh and transparent, I don't get much of the eucalyptus but a lot of pine needles in the beginning - it almost smell like a cheap pine scented air freshener in the beginning, but later it gets a lot better. Very "barbershopish", if you like Rive Gauche you'll probably like this.

always love it when you close a thread with a purchase and an update Cheers!

Wow. I'm surprised at all the opinions that AOS is "synthetic." Their site seems to indicate that they use only essential oils.

From their site: http://www.theartofshaving.com/taos6...p=19&trk=group

Sandalwood Eau de Toilette
    The sandalwood trees of Mysore, India, yield the world's most valuable and exquisite sandalwood essential oil prized, over thousands of years for its perfume and therapeutic qualities. The treasured essence is extracted from the heart of the mature tree 30 years or older, then aged for six months to achieve its full eloquence. Warmed by the skin, our custom blend of sandalwood and pure essential oils becomes sweetly spicy, lightly herbaceous, with a woody undertone both calming and sensual.
    Sandalwood Essential Oil
    100% Pure Essential Oils
    I haven't smelled it myself yet, so I can't comment. But I have their shaving cream, which is quite nice, if a bit understated, and I have the aftershave in the mail right now, which should arrive any day now. I'll check back here with my results.
    Last edited by Galleddrim; 11th December 2009 at 06:46 PM. Reason: added link
    Current Wardrobe (in no particular odor, HAHA!):

Creed Green Irish Tweed, Creed Silver Mountain Water, Creed Himalaya, Creed Tabarome, Aramis Havana, Bond No.9 Central Park, Trussardi Inside, Fahrenheit Absolute, Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit De L'Homme, Guerlain L'Instant Homme, David Beckham Signature, Cartier Declaration Essence, Azzaro Visit, Azzaro Silver-Black, Azzaro Pure Vetiver, Dunhill X-Centric, Perry Ellis Reserve, Armani Attitude, Armani Mania, Bvlgari Aqva, Jacomo Paradox Green, Canali Summer Night, Kouros Cologne Sport, Realm Men, Lolita Lempicka Au Masculine, St. Patrick, Cuba (Red, Green, Gold, Black, Grey, Brown, Maya), Opium Pour Homme EDP, Banana Republic Cordovan, Amouage Epic Man, J. Peterman 1902, Bogart City Tower.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerJuice View Post
    It is a bit off topic. But actually J.M. Fraser Polar Ice shave cream is, in my opinion, far superior to AOS. If I am not mistaken, J.M Fraser cream is made in Canada.

One time I did an A to B comparison between AOS and J.M Fraser. I shaved with AOS lavender one day, and the next day with a day older razor, shaved with J.M Fraser. The shave with J.M Fraser was so superior and my AOS tubs had been used and could not be returned, I ended up giving three tubs of AOS cream to the Goodwill. True story. To me, no doubt whatsoever, J.M Fraser is far superior to AOS.

Economic Bonus: 8 ounces of J.M. Fraser goes for $10 USD. 5.3 ounces of AOS goes for $22 USD. J.M Fraser is the superior cream and also far cheaper.

TJ
    Thanks for the info! I'll be sure to try JM Fraser as AOS won't ship me any of their samples because I live in Canada. I know I know! We bite..........HARD!

[QUOTE=Galleddrim;1694311]Wow. I'm surprised at all the opinions that AOS is "synthetic." Their site seems to indicate that they use only essential oils.
    QUOTE]

It may be all essential oils. The eucalyptus may contribute to the synthetic smell...I always find it a kind of odd note myself.

FYI too - it doesn't smell a lot like their sandalwood shave soap or AS balm.

Quote Originally Posted by Galleddrim View Post
    Wow. I'm surprised at all the opinions that AOS is "synthetic." Their site seems to indicate that they use only essential oils . . .

Sandalwood Eau de Toilette
    The sandalwood trees of Mysore, India, yield the world's most valuable and exquisite sandalwood essential oil prized, over thousands of years for its perfume and therapeutic qualities. The treasured essence is extracted from the heart of the mature tree 30 years or older, then aged for six months to achieve its full eloquence. Warmed by the skin, our custom blend of sandalwood and pure essential oils becomes sweetly spicy, lightly herbaceous, with a woody undertone both calming and sensual.
    Sandalwood Essential Oil
    100% Pure Essential Oils
    "seems to indicate" is right. That doesn't mean that it does. I have posted on this previously:

Where in the ad copy that you quote above do they actually claim that their product contains Mysore Sandalwood essential oil?

As I read it, you get your standard, oft-repeated, formulaic, banal, romanticization of the origins of Mysore Sandalwood and then a spiel about their "custom blend of sandalwood and pure essential oils" blah, blah, blah.

Mysore Sandalwood in contemporary perfumery is a ruse. Companies who produce fragrances are under no legal compulsion to define it specifically or to provide proof that their product contains it, which more often than not (99.9% of the time), it does not. I am entirely weary and incredulous about any claims made by perfume companies. As I have noted before, Chandler Burr's courageous book The Perfect Scent makes it perfectly clear that modern perfumery is predicated on lies and the withholding of information. To my nose, and for what it's worth--for a company that "implies" its products are all natural--AOS products smell unbearably synthetic, and I'm one of those people who loves synthetic when it is done well. I can guarantee you as someone in possession of true Mysore Sandalwood essential oil that AOS Sandalwood, according to my nose, does not contain any Mysore Sandalwood essential oil; in fact, I will even go so far as too say it contains very little quality sandalwood essential oil at all. Notice, they don't even say it contains sandalwood essential oil. What they say is that it contains a "custom blend of sandalwood and pure essential oils." They can't even come straight out and say it contains sandalwood essential oil, because I suspect it doesn't. "Sandalwood"--as opposed to "Sandalwood essential oil"--is a very broad and elastic concept in perfumery. It means any number of synthetic woody odorants available for use by the perfumer to construct a sandalwood note. Many of the these "sandalwoody" odorants have been around since the 1960s and 1970s, and many have been developed since. I suspect, although I have no way of proving it, that it is these types of odorants that are predominantly used in AOS Sandalwood, and this is why it smell synthetic.

scentemental
    Last edited by scentemental; 11th December 2009 at 08:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental View Post
    "seems to indicate" is right. That doesn't mean that it does. I have posted on this previously:

Where in the ad copy that you quote above do they actually claim that their product contains Mysore Sandalwood essential oil?

As I read it, you get your standard, oft-repeated, formulaic, banal, romanticization of the origins of Mysore Sandalwood and then a spiel about their "custom blend of sandalwood and pure essential oils" blah, blah, blah.

Mysore Sandalwood in contemporary perfumery is a ruse. Companies who produce fragrances are under no legal compulsion to define it specifically or to provide proof that their product contains it, which more often than not (99.9% of the time), it does not. I am entirely weary and incredulous about any claims made by perfume companies. As I have noted before, Chandler Burr's courageous book The Perfect Scent makes it perfectly clear that modern perfumery is predicated on lies and the withholding of information. To my nose, and for what it's worth--for a company that "implies" its products are all natural--AOS products smell unbearably synthetic, and I'm one of those people who loves synthetic when it is done well. I can guarantee you as someone in possession of true Mysore Sandalwood essential oil that AOS Sandalwood, according to my nose, does not contain any Mysore Sandalwood essential oil; in fact, I will even go so far as too say it contains very little quality sandalwood essential oil at all. Notice, they don't even say it contains sandalwood essential oil. What they say is that it contains a "custom blend of sandalwood and pure essential oils." They can't even come straight out and say it contains sandalwood essential oil, because I suspect it doesn't. "Sandalwood"--as opposed to "Sandalwood essential oil"--is a very broad and elastic concept in perfumery. It means any number of synthetic woody odorants available for use by the perfumer to construct a sandalwood note. Many of the these "sandalwoody" odorants have been around since the 1960s and 1970s, and many have been developed since. I suspect, although I have no way of proving it, that it is these types of odorants that are predominantly used in AOS Sandalwood, and this is why it smell synthetic.

scentemental
    Killer post.

Now we wonder if Guerlain and Chanel are using Mysore sandalwood. According to those who should know, they do use it to some extent on their best stuff.

The synthetic woods are an abomination. I just saw Paestum Rose for more evidence, and the overall fragrance is so bad it almost made me rethink Duchaufour.

And this Hinoki (CdG) shit. Luckyscent should do perfumery a favor and get it the hell outta there.

scentemental
    Yeah, I'd have dismissed it as all marketing too, except that it DOES display the claim: "Sandalwood Essential Oil, 100% Pure Essential Oils" at the end.

Also, on their "Philosophy" page: http://www.theartofshaving.com/taos6/philosophy.php

Our dedication to the science of aromatherapy is the foundation of our product philosophy. We formulate our products using high quality botanical ingredients and 100% pure essential oils. These ingredients provide therapeutic properties to the skin and mean that razor burn and ingrown hairs are avoided, while nicks and cuts are prevented and healed. We are committed to eliminating even a trace of alcohol, synthetic dyes, synthetic fragrances or other ingredients that can be harmful when absorbed into the skin.
    Hmmmm . . . I dunno what to say. I'm not doubting your nose or experience. I am just wondering how they could possibly spin this and still use synthetic.

In the laboratory section: http://www.theartofshaving.com/taos6/aromatherapy.php

Today, Myriam’s domain is the company’s state-of-the-art laboratory where she personally formulates all products. She has never used artificial chemicals because she knows that any product applied to the skin is absorbed into your body and can affect overall health.
    So wow. If they're loading up their products with synthetics, this wouldn't just be putting a spin on marketing copy. It would be outright lying.
    Last edited by Galleddrim; 11th December 2009 at 10:01 PM.

Creed Green Irish Tweed, Creed Silver Mountain Water, Creed Himalaya, Creed Tabarome, Aramis Havana, Bond No.9 Central Park, Trussardi Inside, Fahrenheit Absolute, Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit De L'Homme, Guerlain L'Instant Homme, David Beckham Signature, Cartier Declaration Essence, Azzaro Visit, Azzaro Silver-Black, Azzaro Pure Vetiver, Dunhill X-Centric, Perry Ellis Reserve, Armani Attitude, Armani Mania, Bvlgari Aqva, Jacomo Paradox Green, Canali Summer Night, Kouros Cologne Sport, Realm Men, Lolita Lempicka Au Masculine, St. Patrick, Cuba (Red, Green, Gold, Black, Grey, Brown, Maya), Opium Pour Homme EDP, Banana Republic Cordovan, Amouage Epic Man, J. Peterman 1902, Bogart City Tower.

Yeah, I'd have dismissed it as all marketing too, except that it DOES display the claim: "Sandalwood Essential Oil, 100% Pure Essential Oils" at the end.

Also, on their "Philosophy" page: http://www.theartofshaving.com/taos6/philosophy.php

Hmmmm . . . I dunno what to say. I'm not doubting your nose or experience. I am just wondering how they could possibly spin this and still use synthetic.
    At the end of what? At the end of the blurb. That still doesn't mean that it contains Mysore Sandalwood essential oil or even a preponderance of real sandalwood essential oil. Also, no company is under any compulsion to explain how much or what quality Sandalwood essential oil there is in the formulation. A tenth of a drop might assuage their conscience in claiming their fragrance contains sandalwood essential oil, if they have one. My main points still apply.

By all means doubt me and believe the perfume companies. I know, I know, if they say it, it must be true. The same goes for politicians.

Also, if you look at my posts over the last 5 years you'll see I've spent a large part of my time and energy trying to obfuscate things fragrance related, while in the last 5 years the perfume companies have gotten more and more honest and transparent.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Killer post.

Now we wonder if Guerlain and Chanel are using Mysore sandalwood. According to those who should know, they do use it to some extent on their best stuff.

The synthetic woods are an abomination. I just saw Paestum Rose for more evidence, and the overall fragrance is so bad it almost made me rethink Duchaufour.

And this Hinoki (CdG) shit. Luckyscent should do perfumery a favor and get it the hell outta there.
    I have to agree, as usual, with pluran's assessments, and the jump he makes from a discussion of a fragrance that is overly synthetic woody to the master of overly synthetic woody fragrances makes perfect sense to me.

There's nothing inherently wrong with synthetic wood odorants; they've been around for over 5 decades, and they have been used in all classic fragrances of the the past 50 years. Their ultimate success in a fragrance It depends how you use them. I have always found Duchaufour's use of them strident. I think it's interesting that in an interview when asked which fragrance he wished he had created, Duchafour said "Dior Homme." Dior Homme is a classic example how to use woody odorants with a deft, subtle, hand.

The only Duchaufour creation I really like, and I really like it a lot, is CdG Peppermint.

scentemental
    Last edited by scentemental; 11th December 2009 at 10:52 PM.

By all means doubt me and believe the perfume companies. I know, I know, if they say it, it must be true. The same goes for politicians.

Also, you'll see I've spent 5 years on the boards posting to obfuscate things fragrance related, while in the last 5 years the perfume companies have gotten more an more honest and transparent.

scentemental
    Dude. I think I said I'm NOT doubting you. I'm just trying to figure out what AOS company is all about. Marketing spin I can take. I'm in marketing services and I work with marketers, so I know how it works. I can't take outright lying.

Also, did you mean less honest and transparent? Or are you saying that the state of the industry is actually improving?
    Last edited by Galleddrim; 11th December 2009 at 10:02 PM.

Dude. I think I said I'm NOT doubting you. I'm just trying to figure out what AOS company is all about. Marketing spin I can take. I'm in marketing services and I work with marketers, so I know how it works. I can't take outright lying.

Also, did you mean less honest and transparent? Or are you saying that the state of the industry is actually improving?
    That's fine dude; I understand that your trouble with others lying more than likely comes form the fact that your a decent person, and I mean that straight up. In fact you're so decent and honest and accepting that you didn't get the irony in my statement about the perfume companies becoming more and more honest and transparent. My statement is ironic; it supposed to signify the exact opposite of what it claims.

So AOS has a single essential oil practitioner, Myriam, cranking out their formulas in a state of the art lab. Hmmm, the perfect, ideal blend of technology and artisan craft. What a wonderful image, but I suspect that's all it is, an image. Creed used to claim the same thing, essentially, until the IFRA packaging requirements caught them with their breeches down. Again, read, Chandler Burr's The Perfect Scent. He makes it quite clear, with irrefutable facts, that the only truly natural ingredient in what fragrance companies sell us is the fantasy.

Hey, but in matters of faith, the truth is irrelevant. If you have faith, then who am I to deny you that. I am writing for the agnostics and the atheists on the boards.

scentemental
    Last edited by scentemental; 11th December 2009 at 10:32 PM.

That's fine dude; I understand that your trouble with others lying more than likely comes form the fact that your a decent person and I mean that straight up. In fact you're so decent and honest and accepting that you didn't get the irony in my statement about the perfume companies becoming more and more honest and transparent. My statement is ironic; it supposed to signify the exact opposite of what it claims.

So AOS has single essential oil practitioner, Myriam, cranking out their formulas in a state of the art lab. Hmmm, the perfect blend of technology and naturalness. What a wonderful image, but I suspect that's all it is, an image. Creed used to claim the same thing essentially until the IFRA packaging requirements caught them with their pants down. Again, read, Chandler Burr's The Perfect Scent. He makes it quite clear, with irrefutable facts, that the only truly natural ingredient in what fragrance companies sell us is the fantasy.

Hey, but in matters of faith, the truth is irrelevant. If you have faith, then who am I to deny you that. I am writing for the agnostics.

scentemental
    Okay, first, I didn't get the irony because it's in text, and things like irony usually need a bit of a hint in this medium or risk being missed. Got it now though.

Art of Shaving isn't primarily a fragrance house, so I thought maybe they might be different. With fragrances I don't care so much. I just assume that most of it is synthetic, and if it smells good to me, that's all I ask. With skin care and shaving it's a bit different. I would like to know that I am buying all (or at least almost all) natural if the company claims to use all natural ingredients.

The lab person, Myriam, isn't just some random person. She was the founder of the company with her husband in 1995. At least according to their site. It isn't as if they have a whole line of frags like Creed or something. After all, frags aren't really their thing. They produce two EDT fragrances. TWO. I don't think it's that far fetched to think that one person could have formulated both of them.

But if anyone knows for a fact (not just presumption) that they are being outright dishonest about their formulations, then I'd be quite interested. I prefer as much natural ingredients as possible for shaving, skin care, etc.

Also from their Q&A page: http://www.theartofshaving.com/taos6...php?trk=footer

Q13. Why don’t we put any synthetic perfumes in The Art of Shaving products?

A13. Synthetic perfumes are made of chemicals that replicate the scent of natural essential oils. These chemicals are the leading cause of skin allergies and irritation in the cosmetic industry. The risk is even greater when used in shaving products, because while shaving a small layer of skin is removed, leaving the skin of the face and neck more vulnerable.

Natural essential oils are in keeping with The Art of Shaving philosophy of using only natural ingredients which can have beneficial properties as well as natural aroma. Synthetic fragrances, on the other hand, add no benefits and can irritate the skin.
    So clearly they are making a claim. The only question is whether the claim is true or false. It shouldn't be THAT hard to figure out, either way.
    Last edited by Galleddrim; 11th December 2009 at 10:47 PM.

I think I have a tendency to assume that a company wouldn't flat-out lie, by the precise literal translation of the words. That is, if they said the equivalent of:

"The sandalwood scent of this fragrance comes from real, natural sandalwood oil.

When we say the word 'sandalwood' we mean the traditional meaning of the oil extracted from the wood, not some synthetic thing that uses the same name and is therefore technically correct. We didn't affectionately nickname a eucalyptus or a chemical plant 'Sandalwood'. Our chemist is not nicknamed Sandalwood.

None of the sandalwood scent in this product comes from synthetics. No synthetics are included that sort of smell like sandalwood.

That's true of every product with this fragrance name. It wasn't just true when we developed the fragrance, it's still true now. It's true of the bottle you're holding in your hands. It's true of every bottle we ever shipped. The only sandalwood scent in there comes from real oil from real sandalwood trees. Really."

I tend to assume that they wouldn't be lying, however naive an assumption that might be.

But of course they don't say that. They say the equivalent of:

"Sandalwood is a fabulous thing that can come from expensive wonderful oil that comes from real trees. Listen to our stories about the glamour of sandalwood. We once touched some real sandalwood oil. By the way, this fragrance smells similar to sandalwood."

So there are two levels of falsehood. I tend to assume that perfume companies wouldn't lie the first way but they would lie the second way. I'm wrong about not lying the first way? I'm quite open to being told that I'm wrong.
    Last edited by ChickenFreak; 12th December 2009 at 12:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChickenFreak View Post

So there are two levels of falsehood. I tend to assume that perfume companies wouldn't lie the first way but they would lie the second way. I'm wrong about not lying the first way? I'm quite open to being told that I'm wrong.
    If I understand you correctly, I agree. The first way is a LIE, outright. The second way is marketing smoke and mirrors. Lie the first way, and you can be taken to court for false advertisement. But put out the smoke and mirrors version of it, and it's all subjective.

However, getting back to AOS, I think that if they were to use anything other than natural essential oils (not necessarily all sandalwood, but at least all natural), then that would be lying outright, since they say on multiple places on their site that they DO NOT use synthetic fragrances.

I think that the way these people from Art of Shaving have expressed themselves, it is quite misleading and as a result almost everyone is made to believe that their Sandalwood fragrance contains 'real Mysore Sandalwood', which of course is a blatant lie since it is impossible.

I remember starting a thread here asking for opinions of members if they believed in their claim. The link is here http://community.basenotes.net/showt...art+sandalwood

I thought it would just add a bit of dimension since it's so relevant to the topic being discussed.
    I hope someone takes up the matter with them and they are made to clarify.

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    I think that the way these people from Art of Shaving have expressed themselves, it is quite misleading and as a result almost everyone is made to believe that their Sandalwood fragrance contains 'real Mysore Sandalwood', which of course is a blatant lie since it is impossible.

I remember starting a thread here asking for opinions of members if they believed in their claim. The link is here http://community.basenotes.net/showt...art+sandalwood

I thought it would just add a bit of dimension since it's so relevant to the topic being discussed.
    I hope someone takes up the matter with them and they are made to clarify.
    Gupts, thanks for the link. I read through the discussion, including scentemental's panning of the marketing copy again. I think it's pretty clear that AOS DOES claim that their EDT contains "Sandalwood Essential Oil." However, they make no claim about Mysore Sandalwood. So I'd assume it contains little if any.

However, I'm not on any quest to obtain "real" sandalwood fragrances. I just want to know that the ingredients of my shaving materials are as natural as possible. AOS claims to use all natural ingredients and repeatedly they say they do not use synthetic ingredients. I brought this question up only because some people here said that AOS sandalwood smelled "synthetic."

On this thread Scentemental went from asserting that AOS had probably zippo Mysore Sandalwood (which he's probably right in saying) to saying that they probably just use a ton of synthetics like any other fragrance house. This would be directly contradictory to AOS's explicit claims, and I'm just asking if there is any backing for such an accusation.

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    i found it very synthetic...cant imagine going thru a bottle of this one.. (AOS ie.)

if you wish to experience sandalwood in pure form; try Lorenzo Villoresi Sandalo. i have no idea how he pulled this one off. pure genius. Tam Dao too is a na excellent recommendation.
    Synthetic or not, I really like AOS Sandalwood. I am still living on a decant and will not leave an oppurtunity to grab a cheapish bottle. Initially I remember, the eucalyptus was far too strong for my liking but I've started appreciating it now. Even the drydown which is mostly sandalwood is really nice.

Coming on LV Sandalo, I agree with you Jen, it's just wonderful. In fact I just snagged a bottle recently. It smells very very pure, almost puts me into a meditative state. The only downside is its pathetic longevity but I keep respraying.

AOS claims to use all natural ingredients and repeatedly they say they do not use synthetic ingredients.
    Hmmm. Maybe it turns on the definition of "synthetic"? Is there a legal definition, when it comes to advertising for fragrances? If synthetic sandalwood is made from a combination of ingredients that could each be claimed to be natural....?

Quote Originally Posted by ChickenFreak View Post
    Hmmm. Maybe it turns on the definition of "synthetic"? Is there a legal definition, when it comes to advertising for fragrances? If synthetic sandalwood is made from a combination of ingredients that could each be claimed to be natural....?
    Well, I dunno. I always took "synthetic" to mean anything that is synthesized in a lab and not drawn from natural sources. So aromachemicals that are synthesized at the molecular level to smell like sandalwood would be synthetic. A blend of 12 essential oils that are mixed to smell like sandalwood would be all natural, even if sandalwood essential oil isn't one of the 12 oils used. Does that make sense?

The Eden Botanicals website has a nice page describing the various varieties of sandalwood and the types of extraction methods and the advantages of each type. They also state quite emphatically that many, possibly most, sandalwood essential oil is doctored with synthetic chemicals. They discuss the difficulty in uncovering this fraud in labeling because synthetic sandalwood aroma chemicals are often not added by the distiller or lab who created the oil, but can occur somewhere along the distribution chain - often at the essential oil broker for the oils who then sells it to the aromatherapy essential oil brand. Eden Botanicals claims that a clever mix of pure sandalwood essential oil mixed with a synthetic is difficult to uncover and they believe this is often sold as pure essential oil. Of course Eden claims theirs is pure, but it is not pure Mysore oil and it is a CO2 distillation.

The reason synthetic sandalwood is added is that it is much cheaper, but also that it makes a better smelling oil. People look for sandalwood oils for spiritual practice as well as for ingredients for fragrance or tolietry products. Eden Botanicals suggests that customers test the various types for themselves but that the better smelling natural sandalwood is usually the less expensive CO2 extraction method as opposed to steam extraction which is more traditional. Also, synthetic additions often smell much better. The most expensive steam distilled pure sandalwood oil is often very weak in fragrance but is much more elevating in vibration and is valued for its spiritual enhancement.

So it is difficult to find out if any branded essential oil is a pure Mysore Sandalwood oil by smell alone, often the pure ones smell less pure than the adulterated oils. The real value of pure Mysore oil is for its vibration and the effects it has on spiritual practice and not just for its effect on the sense of smell. Often for the purposes of fragrance, a synthetically doctored sandalwood smells better than pure sandalwood EO. A CO2 extract may smell better than steam distilled. But steam distilled pure oil is preferred for spiritual practices even though it may not smell as fantastic.

The Art of Shaving claims they use pure Indian Sandalwood and other pure essential oils. As Eden Botanicals states, these other essential oils could very easily contain sythetic additives and nobody would really know for sure short of shooting the oil for a gas chromatography mass spectography analysis. But even then if it is cleverly mixed it can still be hard to trace because it may have some real oil as ingredients.

I am sure some of our chemists on Basenotes have more actual research about this? Anybody tested these fragrances?

Awakening this old thread to comment on the new unsandalwoody Art of Shaving Sandalwood after shave balm. It no longer has that warm sandalwood smell (it now smells like baby powder). What have folks settled on to replace this venerable scent?

Quote Originally Posted by ssgiris View Post
    Awakening this old thread to comment on the new unsandalwoody Art of Shaving Sandalwood after shave balm. It no longer has that warm sandalwood smell (it now smells like baby powder). What have folks settled on to replace this venerable scent?
    I haven't gotten a new bottle from AoS in over a year. Have they changed the formula? That would be a shame. Try Geo. F. Trumper. I picked up their sandalwood shaving cream at the Ede & Ravenscroft in Cambridge when I was visiting last year, and I really love it. Their "Skin Food" aftershave is also pretty good. You can find it on Amazon here:

http://www.amazon.com/Geo-F-Trumper-.../dp/B001M0IQQ2

Basenotes Institution

Wearing & re-testing this one again today. It's been several years since I've had this on skin.

The overall effect is of wood, medicinal-like, and that same accord is what you smell when you spray it on & it doesn't change hours on.

Reminds me of the 'new' juice that Crabtree & Evelyn has (Sandalwood) or Casswell-Massey for that matter. Simple. Nothing special.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Mike, you're getting spoiled with that vintage C&E and BdI :-)

Reminds me of the 'new' juice that Crabtree & Evelyn has (Sandalwood) or Casswell-Massey for that matter. Simple. Nothing special.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project.

*** NEW Lavhim (Lavender, Incense, Candle Wax, Clove, Fir Needles, Cognac & Green Leaves)*** / Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.)

Wearing & re-testing this one again today. It's been several years since I've had this on skin.

The overall effect is of wood, medicinal-like, and that same accord is what you smell when you spray it on & it doesn't change hours on.

Mike, as a lover of Sandalwood you should check out Precious Woods by April Aromatics. It's 100% all natural ingredients including a good amount of real mysore sandalwood mixed in with other woods. It's wonderful if you love Sandalwood!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Mike, as a lover of Sandalwood you should check out Precious Woods by April Aromatics. It's 100% all natural ingredients including a good amount of real mysore sandalwood mixed in with other woods. It's wonderful if you love Sandalwood!
    It's so expensive ((hiding wallet))

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Mike, you're getting spoiled with that vintage C&E and BdI :-)
    I have no idea what you're talking about!
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

That's one I want to try...but a little far out of my price range. I'm hoping for a possible split???

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project.

*** NEW Lavhim (Lavender, Incense, Candle Wax, Clove, Fir Needles, Cognac & Green Leaves)*** / Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.)

It may not have the greatest projection or longevity but it sure delivers in that mysore woody goodness. There is a aspect where the dark creamy mysore aroma dominants the other woods for a while and it's like the mysore essential oil that we all remember. Wonderful!...... But yes it's pricey. lol

It smells exactly like American Crew Classic to me, which coould be had for less than $20 at your local super cuts.

Basenotes Institution

My brother used to wear Classic, I'll have to smell it again next time I see it ShaverX.

-- Eckhart Tolle

In the 1970s, my sister had a mushroom-shaped candle that was labeled "Sandalwood." I miss the cheapo, head shoppy versions of sandalwood. I gave up on the concept of actual Mysore sandalwood many years ago. Agree with sentiments expressed elsewhere in this thread: the synthetic stuff might actually smell better.