Code of Conduct

Question A different Rive Gauche question

Hi people I have got a question regarding Rive Gauche PH.

How much do you think an empty bottle weigths?

Context : I got a bottle of it on ebay, for a mate I lured into perfume, pictured and claimed as "Brand new, in original packaging and sealed." However when it arrived I clearly saw the foil had been reglued at the bottom. Might work with others but not with someone who opens more than one of those a month, like us.
    The bottle itself showed one distinct pingerprint. So, besides the obligatory angry request for explanation i gave the bottle a more thorough check and weighted it.
    It comes at 146 grams which leaves, at a specific weight of alcohol of 0.8 grams per ml, a rough 50 grams for the bottle. Does this sound fitting?

The frag does smell genuine and as good as my own bottle.

Default Re: A different Rive Gauche question

Could have just been opened and sprayed once or something. I'm pretty sure the empty can weighs very little. Have you tried just sort of shaking it to see the level of liquid? (keep in mind it may never be filled to the top even when it's new)
    Tom Ford Splits!!!!
    Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Noir de Noir, Oud Wood
    Plum Japonais,
    Lavender Palm, Tobacco Oud, Café Rose, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

The aluminum bottle is much lighter than glass. All of us have had the same reaction when holding RGPH for the first time. Nothing to worry about.

Yeah I know its light, I already own one myself. Ijust mean HOW light?

It sounds like your bottle is totally full. A Rive Gauche bottle is very light, and 50grams sounds about right, if not a little more than I would expect. That's about the weight of 3 soda cans, or a small handful of coins.

My 4.2 oz bottle feel very light too, and I know for a fact that it was untouched before I opened it.

How does the liquid slosh around when you shake it?
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 9th December 2009 at 08:56 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

It does slosh around enough to require a certain free room of, lets say, about 1 - 1,5 cm.

I could have sworn there was a thread about this very subject a few years back... I believe someone even went through the trouble to weigh a few different bottles...

Bring it into the bathroom with you when you take a shower and see if condensation forms on the side...or you can put it in the fridge, then take it out and leave it on the counter (depending on the climat in your house...sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't).

This is how I measure how much gas is left in my camping stove canisters.

Quote Originally Posted by timaru View Post
    Yeah I know its light, I already own one myself. Ijust mean HOW light?
    Not sure exactly. I have two bottles of it--one is my main one, another is a backup that I sprayed maybe twice max. I think not only is the aluminum lightweight, but I don't think they are supposed to be completely filled to the top. I think my Montales may have been the same way-- the weight of the juice doesn't exactly correspond with the volume of the container.

I just checked out my new backup bottle for "slosh factor" and it sloshes pretty freely. I'm assuming that your bottle is the 4.2 oz bottle. I just weighed my new 2.5 oz bottle and it comes to 93.54 grams with the cap on, but that's probably no help. I roughly converted it to ounces and the whole thing is about 3.3 oz, with the bottle being about .8 of an ounce. I have no idea how the larger bottles pan out though. Weights and measures are not my strong suit.

Last edited by Indie_Guy; 9th December 2009 at 11:43 PM. Reason: typo

timaru,

How many times did u need to depress the sprayer in order for it to start spraying normally ?
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

Quote Originally Posted by timaru View Post
    Hi people I have got a question regarding Rive Gauche PH.
    It comes at 146 grams which leaves, at a specific weight of alcohol of 0.8 grams per ml, a rough 50 grams for the bottle. Does this sound fitting?

The frag does smell genuine and as good as my own bottle.
    My 4.2oz bottle that has been sprayed maybe 10 times weighs 145 grams. You're good to go.

How light? Very light (VERY).

Quote Originally Posted by JoNnY 4 View Post
    timaru,

How many times did u need to depress the sprayer in order for it to start spraying normally ?
    A very, very good point! It appeared fragrance right away with the first push so the frag had definitely been at least tested before but i guess I cant problemless live with that
    Jast as long as its otherwise "unharmed"

Quote Originally Posted by PorkFat View Post
    My 4.2oz bottle that has been sprayed maybe 10 times weighs 145 grams. You're good to go.
    A big thank you, I think I'm reassured now