Code of Conduct
    Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Question U.s. National basenotes meet-ups: 2010, 2011, 2012?

I’m throwing out some ideas to see what might develop. Let the debates begin!

BOSTON 2010?
    This has been on my mind as a personal quest, due to the extraordinary magnetic attraction of the Boston-area group. Would you folks welcome hosting the first national meet-up?

NOLA 2011?
    In another thread, we’ve begun playing with the notion of long-range plans to convene on the exceptional location that is New Orleans, and more precisely, the French Quarter.
    —The dates to “dodge” would be the hottest weather, the storm season, and the craziness that is Mardi Gras.

CALIFORNIA 2012?
    Hmmm?

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    While New York is certainly a hub for fragophiles, I think Sniffapalooza kinda owns the rights to that city and is the best group for arranging events there.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Default Re: U.s. National basenotes meet-ups: 2010, 2011, 2012?

I'm also curious about an official Boston meet-up...2010

You know I'm definitely up for a Boston 2010 meet-up.
    I've actually been toying around with some ideas already for the tentaitve July 23-25 weekend of BN worldwide meet-up weekend.
    I'd like to ideally have a firm date so I can do some more concrete planning.
    I am flexible and having you all in Boston would be fabulous beyond belief.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Blog Entries

Boston's close enough for us to drive.

We want to go back to NOLA anyway.

Where in CA?

We'll try for at least 2010 and 2011.

I'm up for Boston!

2012!?

Make sure you have a boat or two on standby.

Kidding, ofcourse I think this is a great initiative

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Somerville Metro Man View Post
    You know I'm definitely up for a Boston 2010 meet-up.
    I've actually been toying around with some ideas already for the tentaitve July 23-25 weekend of BN worldwide meet-up weekend.
    I'd like to ideally have a firm date so I can do some more concrete planning.
    I am flexible and having you all in Boston would be fabulous beyond belief.

oooooo ooooooo having a meet up in Boston would be fantastic. My only preference would be FALL, instead of the muggy summer months- Autumn colors and perfume would be heavenly!!!!!!!

I would love for you to all come out this way. Maybe by then my house will be done and i will host a gourmet evening of food and fragrance.
    This will be so exciting!!!!
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Blog Entries

Brielle,

I love the idea of a fragrance party. Is there a thread somewhere on how to do this? I'm guessing everyone brings a couple of samples and a lot of blotters.

Morning Star

I go back to Boston on a regular basis anyway to visit family, so coordinating with a BN meetup would be easy. New Orleans would also be a great trip; I've wanted to go there for years. As for California, the Northerners seem to have a critical mass of active folks (over 10), so that's a point in their favor. Those of us down here in the South rarely seem to muster more than 5 people at a time ... but we also have Beverly Hills and The Scent Bar.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
    The Scent Bar.
    The Scent Bar

In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

I go back to Boston on a regular basis anyway to visit family, so coordinating with a BN meetup would be easy. New Orleans would also be a great trip; I've wanted to go there for years. As for California, the Northerners seem to have a critical mass of active folks (over 10), so that's a point in their favor. Those of us down here in the South rarely seem to muster more than 5 people at a time ... but we also have Beverly Hills and The Scent Bar.
    Oh, if we could just have a Scent Bar in Northern CA! You know, if I were younger (and had entrepreneurial courage, LOL), I would approach the owners of Luckyscent/The Scent Bar and propose opening a shop in the San Francisco Bay Area. I know it would do well!

With some planning, I would consider any or maybe all of Quarry's suggestions. If the group is small enough, I like Brielle's idea of a house party, too.

I will also propose the idea of a mini-convention, where we would all stay at the same hotel and have a sample trading night in one of the conference rooms. Maybe other events, too! This would work great if we ended up with a larger-sized group. Then we could schedule multiple smaller group excursions throughout the weekend to local purveyors of elixirs.

Basenotes Plus

I Those of us down here in the South rarely seem to muster more than 5 people at a time ... but we also have Beverly Hills and The Scent Bar.

I'm new, so next time you muster up the SoCal folks, I would love to be #6.:wave:

Can I suggest Boston in July 2010 (See SMM's dates), and the California Scent Bar in 2011, and somewhere in the middle (Chicago?) for 2012??? Agree with Astaroth that July in Boston is less than ideal, but hey, that's why God made swimming pools and AC.

If we can make the Boston get-together happen, I am DEFINITELY up for going to Brielle's for a Gourment Food/Scent Party, and at some point during the weekend, I will insist on hosting some sort of fragrance-and-food-based thing myself... With optional favorite SFF films/ tv series (and of course, Dr. Horrible's sing along blog) on our DVD interspersed!

Chez Bromberg isn't particularly spacious, but we can definitely host a few of the out-of-towners, too. Oooooooooooooo, a BN slumber party! Dang, sign me up!!!
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

If we want to do a big US meet-up I am happy to be the Boston point person. Plus the advantage is I have many helpful hands amongst the local BN community.
    We have been talking a bit about what a Boston Basenotes National Meet-Up would look like and here is a first draft:

Friday July 23rd Scented dinner at Brielle 87's house. Rent a van to ferry everyone up to Chez Brielle.
    Saturday July 24th Colonial Drug in Harvard Sq. followed by Neil Morris presentation and food followed by a screening of "Chanel Before Coco" in the Somerville Theatre private viewing room.
    Sunday July 25th Back Bay Shops Neiman-Marcus, Barney's, Saks, Louis Boston, Chanel and Hermes.

We think we can amuse the fragrant masses for three days with this skeleton of a plan.

Oh, SMM, you seem to have it all covered. I love the idea, and would most likely be up for this kind of event. Good scents, good food, good company - well, there you have it.

I think I'd be able to join in a Boston meeting, especially with the advance planning, and it sounds wonderful!
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Blog Entries

For California, of course I'm partial to San Francisco (because then I could help).

We don't have Scentbar, but we do have quite a few active local perfumers who do frequent personal appearances. Given planning time and the blessing to promote it as an official Basenotes event, we have some amazing noses here that might be talked into a little sniffing...
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Blog Entries

SMM, Brielle87, ComDiva,
    You are very generous. We'd love to participate if everything works out. How about a target hotel or motel for out of towners? That could also provide Plan B in case you draw more of us that your homes can accomodate. SMM should picture the annual ACS meeting

Basenotes Plus

Boston is a destination this summer. I can drive up, if we are still living here in NJ. My husband should be finished with his St. Croix project & "may" have something "up north". That's all I could get out of him on the employment front but that may be all he knows right now.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

I'm only doing Boston if my partner in crime Tang is onboard...where are you girlfriend???
    Last edited by ubuandibeme; 3rd January 2010 at 02:55 AM.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

As more can-doers post, this Boston thang gets more exciting. Tingaling, Tang — your friends are calling.
    ECaruthers has a good point about suggesting a common hotel if our numbers continue to swell.
    I was already checking out the Amtrak stops for the Boston area (flying's fun but trains are waaay cooler).
    I'm trying not to twist DH's arm—Brielle's house photos may do all the persuading for me.

If you have it in San Francisco, I would be happy to help as well as I have experience with organizing conferences in San Francisco. I haven't been to a Basenote Conference before, do have any of the fragrance companies underwrite or exhibit? Even a moderate sized activist conference I helped with we had a brewery as sponsor (makers of Bastard Ale).

Deni

My husband has offered Starwood Hotels Hot Rates for Friends & Family to anyone wanting a discounted upscale hotel room...you can make your reservations at ANY Westin Hotel at about 20 dollars over the employee rate...send me your e-mail address if you are interested! I believe the Boston location is The Westin Copely? (* This deal is typically based upon availability...but if you are booking months in advance, chances are very good you will get a great discounted rate!)
    Last edited by ubuandibeme; 3rd January 2010 at 05:44 PM.

Are suspicious (see Off-Topic funny pics thread) Canadians allowed? Will we be fingerprinted and subjected to all sorts of degrading investigations?

I'd love to come to any and all of these, but I'll say right off the bat that July is a bad month for me this year (already have plans scheduled, and they involve going out west, not staying out east). I would make specific plans to get down to NOLA tho (I've always wanted to visit/experience New Orleans and my sister will be working on a Habitat build in a few months so I'm even more interested now), and California too (my preference would be for SoCal, but I'd go north, too!). The thought of the Scent Bar *irl* and shopping in general in LA has me drooling.
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ubuandibeme View Post
    My husband has offered Starwood Hotels Hot Rates for Friends & Family to anyone wanting a discounted upscale hotel room...you can make your reservations at ANY Westin Hotel at about 20 dollars over the employee rate...send me your e-mail address if you are interested! I believe the Boston location is The Westin Copely? (* This deal is typically based upon availability...but if you are booking months in advance, chances are very good you will get a great discounted rate!)
    Thanks, ubuandibeme, my email is in the mail, uh, actually PM

I'm a "planner" gang & am looking to lock in to some cheap airfare and guaranteed rooms for the Boston location for the weekend of July 23-25th ~ is this a GO?

Ooooo. Depending on airline costs (DH doesn't get paid during the summer), I'd love to go out to Boston this summer.

As for California, So Cal does have the famous Scent Bar, but I'd recommend San Francisco, along with Astaroth. So Cal usually means needing a car. For instance, the best places for sniffing in So Cal are a good 45 minutes apart: 1) Beverly Hills/Center area (Scent Bar & Barneys); 2) South Coast Plaza in Orange County (Hermes, Chanel, etc.). Plus, as Astaroth points out, we do have a more active group up in San Francisco, plus Rogalal's planning kicked serious butt over my own during the meetups last year.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Blog Entries

I'm a "planner" gang & am looking to lock in to some cheap airfare and guaranteed rooms for the Boston location for the weekend of July 23-25th ~ is this a GO?
    We're in if the dates work for Boston area folks. A quick Google found two Boston area Starwoods. Which would work best?
    Westin Boston Waterfront
    The Westin Copley Place

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Scratch that. Back later.
    Last edited by Quarry; 7th January 2010 at 03:14 PM.

happy is the bleu heart<3

Just for fun, I looked at airfare for this weekend ... was surprised because the price had come down over the last few days. It's just not possible for me unless DH gets a job soon.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Let me have a few days to make sure everyone is on board with the idea and then we'll at the very least get a definitive date out there.

Let me have a few days to make sure everyone is on board with the idea and then we'll at the very least get a definitive date out there.
    Thanks so much SMM!

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Yes. Thank you, thank you, thank you, dearheart.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Hello, folks, reactivating this thread to inquire whether anyone might want to take advantage of a side tour with us around the time of the Boston meet-up.

A friend who lives in Ashland (basically Framingham) has agreed to give DH and me a natural history tour in his area. If you don't know who lived at Walden Pond, maybe this wouldn't be of interest to you, but I'm just throwing the idea out there. My buddy Nick and I used to edit a publication for the Ecological Landscaping Association together, but this will be our first opportunity to meet. Bound to be fun and educational.

Blog Entries

It sounds interesting. Any idea how long to get to Ashland and how long the tour would take? Maybe we'd do that some of sunday and wait until Monday to drive back.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Framingham is 20 miles from downtown Boston, just off I-90.
    I've got Framingham, some scent shops and Amesbury marked. (Click on map to go to interactive Google map.) Framingham is noted with a blue train symbol, my friend's house is marked with a green arrow nearby.
    Once I get a sense of whether anyone besides hubby and me want to see the green sites, I'll consult with my friend to see how he'd like to proceed.
    I've noted where Amesbury is on the map (north of Boston) because I think this is Brielle's neighborhood. Can anybody confirm?

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

I should add … depending on how our sweet SMM arranges all the perfumey things, the “green tour” could be a Friday daytime event.

Hello darlings. Amesbury is actually a little further to the East of me. If you look on the map to the left/West of Amesbury, you will see Plaistow, move upwards/North on the map from Plaistow and you will see Danville, which is where humble ole me would be found
    Last edited by Brielle87; 4th February 2010 at 04:33 AM.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Thanks, Brielle. I've updated the Google map (and marked your neighborhood with a martini glass cuz that was the best icon available).

Do we need to tickle Mark (which strikes me as lots of fun) to learn if he's been able to wrap his brain around our calendar of events?

Though it's too far in the future to say "for sure", I'd love to give San Francisco a tour in 2012. It's really a fantastic city for fragrance; was there last fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    Though it's too far in the future to say "for sure", I'd love to give San Francisco a tour in 2012. It's really a fantastic city for fragrance; was there last fall.
    I agree.

Hi I'm new to this little corner of Basenotes but San Francisco would be cool. Expensive but maybe someone can work out some kind of group rate? I looove Boston I would fly across the country for that meet up but really,isn't July the worst month to be in boston? Followed only by August perhaps. Whats wrong with (late) September/early October?
    Last edited by peppermua; 5th February 2010 at 06:06 AM.

I might be able to make the Boston dates... please do keep us informed on this thread what happens

I would absolutely LOVE TO be there and meet all of you, not to mention all the joint sniffing Wait, that came out wrong...

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

I'm jumping up and down and clapping my little hands, Nukapai.

Perhaps when SMM has come down from Mount Olympus, whoops, make that Fashion Week, he'll be able to reveal details. I know he was waiting for official go-ahead from Grant, and that Grant has been uber-busy, what with “Mac Failure 2010.”