Code of Conduct

Default skin or shirt???

would applying perfume to a shirt be just as good as applying it to skin?

Default Re: skin or shirt???

Will last longer on the shirt, but will also potentially stain and/or not smell the same as on skin. It will also delay the development (take longer to reach the drydown) on the shirt.

i vote for only apply it on skin pulse points..
    http://www.datingpheromonecologne.com/question.html#5
    Last edited by blas; 10th December 2009 at 06:04 PM.

Sur la Plage

Always skin, never shirt IMO
    Last edited by petruccijc; 10th December 2009 at 06:18 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

It depends on the frag. There are some that fade more quickly on skin, so a spray on the shirt can help longevity. Sometimes people don't like what a frag does on their skin. If you like the frag, why not wear it on clothing? It is true that most frags show more development, are more interesting on skin. But sometimes a clothing application will work better.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    Will last longer on the shirt, but will also potentially stain and/or not smell the same as on skin. It will also delay the development (take longer to reach the drydown) on the shirt.
    This is how I experience it as well.

Skin, skin, skin.

Are you trying to ruin your shirts ?

Skin. Fragrances are made for that, I think. Via skin a scent will get on your shirt anyway.

Back in the day, many a gentleman wore his fragrance on a handkerchief. For me, I have a few frags that would have to go in the trash bin if I could only apply to skin (Blenheim Bouquet for instance). BB lasts about one hour on my skin, but will last 6-8 hours if sprayed on fabric. Some frags don't develop normally on fabric though, so you have to try them to find out.

If you have frags that don't seem to last, try them on fabric before giving up on them. And don't worry, you won't ruin any shirts by doing this.

Everyone has their opinion, I personally like to spritz the skin. I also recommend a quick spritz to the back of the hand. The scent will greet others, quietly, when you shake hands. It's sort of a 'signature'. I love this!

Skin. Try the chest.

thanks for all this info

I think it depends on the scent. If it lasts well on your skin, and develops in a way you like, that should be sufficient. If it fades quickly, or you prefer the earlier notes to the later ones, then fabric might work better. I wouldn't do it with a dark juice, or anything with oil, at least not directly on a fabric I don't want stained or spoiled. For a female, you can spritz half a cotton ball and tuck it in your cleavage, if you don't want to apply it to your clothing. Using a scent on both skin and clothing can work nicely if you want to prolong the opening and middle notes but also have the natural development toward the bottom notes, kind of in harmony rather than just a solo wearing.

Also, experiment with where you apply frag to your skin. If I put any on the inside of my wrist, it is gone in about a half hour, no matter which scent or strength I use. If I spray or apply to the top of my wrist (lower forearm), it lasts much better on me. Even a few inches apart on my body can make a huge difference on longevity and development of many scents, so play around with it.

When I first started out in fragrances I took the saying that it should always be applied to the skin. However, I've been disappointed with most fragrances on the skin due to longevity or sillage. These days I spray most fragrances on the shirt. You can try both ways. Experiment!

Mainly, skin. When it erroneously, inadvertently happened that some drops of frags reached my shirt collar, the detergent barely manged to wash the alcohol stains off, so I tend to avoid any contact between my frags and my shirts.

I would have said skin only a month ago. Recently I developed a rash under my arms that forced me to give up deodorant for a while. I discovered if I sprayed some EDT on my undershirt in the underarm area the smell lasts all day and masks any odor I might have.

It's mainly skin for me, but if I'm wearing a frag that has poor longevity, a bit of collar and cuffs can extend it.

I spray on my chest and let it get on my shirt which seems to work well unless I'm wearing a white shirt.

During the fall and winter, when I'm wearing hoodies and jackets, I'll spray once on the neck and twice on the shirt near each pec muscle. During the summer I spray once or twice (depending on the scent) on the neck and once on the insides of each of my elbows, where the bicep meets the forearm. Scents also develop differently when you spray on fabric vs skin.