Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Unhappy Versace L'Homme - Bad News

So, fans of Versace L'Homme - I received my latest bottle and, much to my horror after applying, realized that this has been completely reformulated.

I can honestly say that this is NOT the L'Homme I used to wear.. not by a long shot. The pungent citrus opening is synthetic, harsh and reminiscent of lemon-lime Lysol. I was anxiously awaiting the dry-down, sniffing my wrists and hoping for that amazing, warm, somewhat powdery effect of the original.

After about an hour it's definitely L'Homme on my skin, though something feels different about it. It's hollow and has lost its richness. Please see below for photos:

Reformulation (latest):

Repackaging #1 (90's?):

The "Original" (notice Versace font and bottle design):

Also see thread by AromiErotici:
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=240319

Default Re: Versace L'Homme - Bad News

Thanks for the pics, Anthony...this means that my splash bottle is the original.
    Crying shame what they are doing to all these classics.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyDG View Post
    Repackaging #1 (90's?):
    Is this juice identical to the "original"?

Quote Originally Posted by zliang View Post
    I'm curious to know too. Over here there are still a few bottles of the 90s repackaging around.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

Sur la Plage

When I saw the new bottle/packaging, I knew that could only mean bad news........
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I wanna kick their @#$%@Q arse ....

Another masterpiece loved and respected by many Basenoters is subjected to a pointless reformulation.
    Currently wearing: Zara Man Gold by Zara

Unhappy Re: Versace L'Homme - Bad News

Anthony, I just read http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=240319

You were absolutely right, it was a great juice and incredibly versatile.
    As for my own comments in that thread, I hate it when a joking remark turns into a depressing prophesy.

What the hell is next?

Remember when cars had curves? An old T-Bird, a Mustang or a Jaguar? Why did the Western auto industry choose to copy the box contours of Japanese cars--their worst feature---yet not copy their excellent engineering, their best feature?

This really sucks.

Cry me a River,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

I've never tested the original. My review (highly favorable) was on the repackaging and I provided Aromi with the sample he refered to in his thread. The repackging was probably not a reformulation.

Quote Originally Posted by zliang View Post

Does Versace still make this, or another company?
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Cool Re: Versace L'Homme - Bad News

Quote Originally Posted by foetidus View Post
    I've never tested the original. My review (highly favorable) was on the repackaging and I provided Aromi with the sample he refered to in his thread. The repackging was probably not a reformulation.
    How do you mean? Is it the middle bottle in the picture you're referring to, or the one on top?
    My Wardrobe

AromiErotici

AromiErotici

Anthony........thanks for the heads up and the bottle pics. I had really been wondering about this because I was ready to pull the trigger, but the bottle & box differences had me worried.

The sample foetidus sent me surely must have been the 90's formulation. It was excellent and now I know what the bottle looks like that it derived from.

Question before buying : Are the bottle sizes different between the 1990's formulation and the current? Example....are the 50ml considered 1.6 or 1.7 ? I noticed the listing images for the 1990's version to be described as 1.6

What about the color of the liquid? Mine is a green, like the middle pic, and the lettering is also the same as that pic.

For those who didn't notice, see how the L in L'Homme is under the E in the 90s version but under the R in the newest. The color of the liquid may be due to lighting, but that lettering should allow you to determine the two versions.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 11th December 2009 at 06:29 PM.

Cool Re: Versace L'Homme - Bad News

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    What about the color of the liquid? Mine is a green, like the middle pic, and the lettering is also the same as that pic.

For those who didn't notice, see how the L in L'Homme is under the E in the 90s version but under the R in the newest. The color of the liquid may be due to lighting, but that lettering should allow you to determine the two versions.
    Thanks Bigsly, the one I used was also the green just like the middle pic. The box identical.
    I still don't know if AnthonyDG referred to the first original or the second (our 90's green) or whether foetidus sent the green juice to AromaErotici or the newest reformulation, pictured on top of Anthony's post.
    Is anyone following this? Where am I? Help!

Dazed and Confused,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Justiniani View Post
    Thanks Bigsly, the one I used was also the green just like the middle pic. The box identical.
    I still don't know if AnthonyDG referred to the first original or the second (our 90's green) or whether foetidus sent the green juice to AromaErotici or the newest reformulation, pictured on top of Anthony's post.
    Is anyone following this? Where am I? Help!

Dazed and Confused,

Mario
    Mario...I believe the sample Paul sent me was the "in-between" formula. It's a shame what the industry is doing to masculines. They're cutting the balls off bro and leaving you to buy Eunuch juice.
    Last edited by AromiErotici; 11th December 2009 at 10:47 PM.

It truly is a shame that this was reformulated instead of being discontinued. Now I can't speak for everyone on this - for those who enjoy a really sharp, synthetic citrus in the top-notes it might be bearable. I'm not willing to work my way through those to get to the warm, spicy, and totally classy L'Homme of yesteryear.

The color of the reformulated juice (current - in the black box with the Greek key) is bright yellow, the same color of something else rather vulgar I'd prefer not to smell like.

Blog Entries

Exclamation Re: Versace L'Homme - Bad News

All of this reformulation by the industry is an insult to the their patrons. Someday one of the perfumers will discover that a simple pledge to never reformulate anything they make and to give ample time to purchase when ending production of a fragrance will cause great loyalty amongst it's patrons; a simple way to differentiate themselves from the rest of fragrancedom and create a following based on listening to and respecting the patron. What a concept. Is anybody listening?
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 12th December 2009 at 01:25 AM.

As crappy as reformulations usually are, I'm glad when they at least give some outward indication that something has changed inside. It's better than trying to pass it off as something it's not. But not by much.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

I have used all 3. I was too ignorant to notice ant difference between the first 2, if there really was. The new version.......... yeah, smells like the original, but is NOT the original. However, i still feel i am wearing Vl'H and still love it.

Reformulation is a crying shame, i admit, but as long as the current juice evokes good memories and smells good i just enjoy the experience. 20+ years from now? I shudder to think!
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!
    Currently wearing: Beloved Man by Amouage

Folks,

Keep in mind that many reformulations of old classics have been mandated by new EU laws governing what compounds can and cannot be used in fragrances. Chances are that Gianni Versace S.p.A. had no choice but to reformulate or risk substantial fines or worse.
    Griff

Cow Tipper Extraordinaire

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    Folks,

Keep in mind that many reformulations of old classics have been mandated by new EU laws governing what compounds can and cannot be used in fragrances. Chances are that Gianni Versace S.p.A. had no choice but to reformulate or risk substantial fines or worse.
    If they reformulated with the idea in mind to keep to the original as closely as possible that would be one thing. But it seems reformulations change much more than the mandated ingredients, perhaps using the reformulation a an opportunity to use less expensive ingredients across the board and also to alter the formula to a more 'modern' appeal (read here easily influenced, less discriminating public). In doing so they alter the original spirit and appeal of the fragrance involved.
    Last edited by kbe; 12th December 2009 at 07:57 PM.
    These things cannot be long hidden: the Sun, the Moon, the Truth--Buddha
    Currently wearing: Cumming by Alan Cumming

I thought I'd bump this thread because my wife just bought me a bottle of Versace L'Homme. I have the reformulated version. Now keep in mind that I have never tried the original, so I can't make any comparison. That being said, I think this reformulated fragrance is very good. I don't find the opening to smell synthetic at all - it does smell very sharp and harsh, but it smells like an interesting mix of citrus, clove and ginger. Very eye-opening. If they did reformulate this, then it's hard to imagine they watered this down, because I find this to be incredibly strong, in fact one of the stronger scents I've ever tried. Anyone who has read my posts before knows that I've definitely worn my fair share of 1980s "powerhouse" scents!

Though I haven't smelled the original, my guess is that they may have reformulated this to make it smell more "current", so to speak, because this doesn't smell at all dated or like an average 80s oakmoss bomb. It does smell current, and not cheap smelling either to my nose. And when I say "current", I don't mean a boring mainstream designer scent. I cannot imagine your average consumer liking this at all. It's just too strong, and it's very aggressive by today's standards.

I think this is a very good scent.
    Last edited by shamu1; 17th January 2010 at 02:47 PM.

By the way, does anyone know when this newest version was released? I'm just wondering whether this was the version that Luca Turin reviewed. He gave it very high marks.

Picked this up in the London Duty free this winter, never smelt the original. Now I feel sad, disappointed and cheated!

I have the "middle" version in the OP pic. Quite like it. I trust Shamu's taste so am very encouraged by his take on the newest version.

Goutam02, why feel cheated? As long as you like what you're smelling, who cares if it's different from the original? If you've never smelled the original (like me), no harm done!

The way I look at it, why get upset automatically over a reformulation just because it doesn't smell exactly like the original? Things in life change. As long as it smells reallly good, so what? I think perfaddict stated it perfectly in his post above.

On the other hand, I'm not discrediting those who liked the original and are disappointed with the new one. I can understand that. I've certainly smelled my fair share of bad reformulations. But a lot of people seem to be slamming this new version without even smelling it first, simply because it's been reformulated. That makes no sense to me.
    Last edited by shamu1; 17th January 2010 at 05:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    By the way, does anyone know when this newest version was released? I'm just wondering whether this was the version that Luca Turin reviewed. He gave it very high marks.
    Turin's books are pretty darn recent, so I'm inclined to think he reviewed recent juice. I do not picture him deliberately seeking out the older version. Makes no sense.

It sounds to me like reformulated or not, it retains the overall character of the original.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 17th January 2010 at 06:51 PM.

This was my last Versace hope, considering how mediocre most of their new releases are.
    -

I think to some companies it either reformulate the fragrance or just discontinue the line completely. The price of raw materials to create fragrance is greatly risen and the demand on fragrances is low on classics - most men what to just wear what is new today 90% do not say true to a fragrance.

We have been seeing this same instance with Givenchy who did away with the fancy bottle and now the same with Aramis - I at least give them credit of keeping the product still on the shelfs and assembly lines.
    Last edited by scentimus; 17th January 2010 at 08:04 PM.