Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Versace L'Homme - Bad News

Andre, Enrico -- many thanks for clearing this up -- I must have (what little is left) of the first reformulation. I wish I had bought more bottles at the time as I don't intend to buy the 'dark box' version. C'est la vie.

Basenotes Plus

Thank you for the post, Andre -

Very good knowledge and well-presented. The date on the First Reformulation is later than I thought (1998?) - it has some amazing depth and contains Oakmoss and Tree Moss. Longevity is superb. Interesting that the boxes of the Original Vintage shown are indicative of the year due to the bar-code (1995-96). Amazing how rare Original Vintage has become so quickly. The First Reformulation has been called, "90's formulation", on Basenotes and I continued that. Interesting that it barely made the end of the decade. I do have a follow up thought though. Since the IFRA limitations on Oakmoss started around 2000/2001, it is interesting to note that there may be earlier bottles of the First Reformulation that have higher levels of Oakmoss - who knows!?! There are a lot of other wonderful base notes/fixatives in Versace L'Homme - amber (and labdanum), vanilla, musk, tonka bean (listed as coumarin even on the latest formulation), and there is definitive leather in all bottlings. I also find the patchouli and wood from the late heart in both earlier bottlings to stay for a long time into the base notes.

The latest (Second) Reformulation does not contain either Oakmoss or Tree Moss at all, as I've pointed out.

Great contribution, my friend!

Cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by Andrè Moreau View Post
    FROM MY PERSONAL COLLECTION:
    These bottles are "Original Vintage", both with "thin lettering", both produced by "VEPRO" (VErsace PROfumi).

But watch closely: the bottle on the right has the bar-code.
    The bar-code became mandatory (at least in Europe) during 1995-1996.
    So we can assume the Original Vintage lasted from 1984 until the end of '90.
    (only for curiosity, the bottle on the left is labelled 1986)

Around 1999-2000 the new version arrived: this is (picture below) a bottle dated likely mid-2000, the "thick lettering" one .

Produced bi GIVER, Monza, Italy, with the mandatory list of ingredients on the back: you can read Evernia Furfuracea and Evernia Punastri (with a little mistake, it should be "Evernia pRunastri").
    You can see the "hand and book symbol", this practically means "produced after 2004")
    This bottle is - in a few words- the "First reformulation" and smells GREAT.
    Don't worry about year, lettering, production, ingredients, if you see a brown box, grab it! the juice is top-quality.

At the end of 2008 production stopped and arrived (year 2009) the modern "dark box with the Greek chain" version, or the "second reformulation": still good, but a step behind the two previous versions.

-----------------------------------------------------------
    BRIEFLY:
    1984-1998: Original Vintage (brown box with thin lettering) PERFECT
    1999-2008: First Reformulation (brown box with thick lettering) NEAR PERFECT
    2009-ongoing: Second Reformulation (Dark box). GOOD
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

UPDATE: this version of the "First reformulation" exists, too: the "Euroitalia" one
    ("Euroitalia" is maybe the best known italian perfume industry)

From 1988 to mid-2005 Versace's perfumes were produced by GIVER (GIanni VERsace)
    From late 2005 -ongoing were produced by Euroitalia

this may help in setting date of perfumes.

Basenotes Plus

Thank you, Andre -

With this additional knowledge...perhaps a phone call or email to Versace asking for years when the packaging changed (they will know from marketing/advertising) to lock in the dates of exactly when the Original Vintage packaging switched to the First Reformulation with BOLD LETTERS, that has been dubbed "90's formulation" and then when the latest came out...our curiosity, if anything, will be cured.

Cheers, my friend.

ericrico

UPDATE: this version of the "First reformulation" exists, too: the "Euroitalia" one
    ("Euroitalia" is maybe the best known italian perfume industry)

From 1988 to mid-2005 Versace's perfumes were produced by GIVER (GIanni VERsace)
    From late 2005 -ongoing were produced by Euroitalia

this may help in setting date of perfumes.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

UPDATE

on the LEFT, the MODERN Versace l'Homme (2009-ongoing)
    on the RIGHT the old bottle (1999-2008) (to be preferred)

you can clearly see the old bottle (on right) with:

-taller and "tighter" letters;
    - different, more intense color of the juice

- the letter L and the the letter R are exactly on the same vertical line. (to identify old bottles, simply check the letter R and L)

Last edited by Andrè Moreau; 2nd April 2013 at 03:58 PM.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by Corrado Finardi View Post
    Hi guys, eventually I can make my personal assessment. In 2011 I could find in Brussels airport the new box (dark brown one with Versace's home signature design- ancient greek chain- ) but in its original formulation. THis year trying to make stock of promotional offers, I bought an apparently equivalent bottle... bad news, the oakmoss and tremoss are gone!!!! see the ingredients list (the right box which is the newest one, is far shorter.. due to the moss not listed!
    As also other noted, the construction is similar, but without the perfect rounded flavour given by moss.... We should push versace to give us the older formula, once the allergens are kept separated from oakmoss...
    very sad for this
    Attachment 12180
    So there are two formulations of the latest dark brown box then?

Keen to add to this excellent thread about one of my favourite scents. Here are my vintage bottles:

Both are 50ml 'eau de toilette' - one a spray and one a splash.

Batch codes:

Spray (on the left): 21741WB
    Splash (on the right): 21701WB

The spray has a barcode on the bottom of the box, while the splash does not.

The spray was sold by Harrods in London for £21.

I think many have the misconception that the makers do everything like perfect robots and always use different bottles and/or packaging for every reformulation. IMO, that is not the case as they are first & foremost in business to make money and why waste even one empty bottle or box?

Bottle bought in early 2012 via Internet that has the Greek chain, is bright yellow in color, offset letter AND has both treemoss & oakmoss listed on the label. I have bottles of the original vintage and can tell little if any difference, which may be due to age. Go figure.

Okay. Now you should tell us if the bottom sides of your box + bottle report the same batch number (the one on the box is "carved", the other on the bottle is printed in white).
    In other words, it's authentic? After that, we could report Versace to authorities

Quote Originally Posted by Boge View Post
    I think many have the misconception that the makers do everything like perfect robots and always use different bottles and/or packaging for every reformulation. IMO, that is not the case as they are first & foremost in business to make money and why waste even one empty bottle or box?

Bottle bought in early 2012 via Internet that has the Greek chain, is bright yellow in color, offset letter AND has both treemoss & oakmoss listed on the label. I have bottles of the original vintage and can tell little if any difference, which may be due to age. Go figure.

Okay. Now you should tell us if the bottom sides of your box + bottle report the same batch number (the one on the box is "carved", the other on the bottle is printed in white)...
    935206 on both.

Ok, I'm glad to read such things: an "old" perfume, bottled in a "new" bottle, put inside an "intermediate" box .
    Now I have proof that the World of Perfumery is a big mess, and any serious attempt to catalogate a perfume is nearly a failure.