Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unhappy Versace L'Homme - Bad News

So, fans of Versace L'Homme - I received my latest bottle and, much to my horror after applying, realized that this has been completely reformulated.

I can honestly say that this is NOT the L'Homme I used to wear.. not by a long shot. The pungent citrus opening is synthetic, harsh and reminiscent of lemon-lime Lysol. I was anxiously awaiting the dry-down, sniffing my wrists and hoping for that amazing, warm, somewhat powdery effect of the original.

After about an hour it's definitely L'Homme on my skin, though something feels different about it. It's hollow and has lost its richness. Please see below for photos:

Reformulation (latest):

Repackaging #1 (90's?):

The "Original" (notice Versace font and bottle design):

Also see thread by AromiErotici:
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=240319

Default Re: Versace L'Homme - Bad News

Thanks for the pics, Anthony...this means that my splash bottle is the original.
    Crying shame what they are doing to all these classics.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyDG View Post
    Repackaging #1 (90's?):
    Is this juice identical to the "original"?

Quote Originally Posted by zliang View Post
    I'm curious to know too. Over here there are still a few bottles of the 90s repackaging around.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

Sur la Plage

When I saw the new bottle/packaging, I knew that could only mean bad news........
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I wanna kick their @#$%@Q arse ....

Another masterpiece loved and respected by many Basenoters is subjected to a pointless reformulation.

Unhappy Re: Versace L'Homme - Bad News

Anthony, I just read http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=240319

You were absolutely right, it was a great juice and incredibly versatile.
    As for my own comments in that thread, I hate it when a joking remark turns into a depressing prophesy.

What the hell is next?

Remember when cars had curves? An old T-Bird, a Mustang or a Jaguar? Why did the Western auto industry choose to copy the box contours of Japanese cars--their worst feature---yet not copy their excellent engineering, their best feature?

This really sucks.

Cry me a River,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

I've never tested the original. My review (highly favorable) was on the repackaging and I provided Aromi with the sample he refered to in his thread. The repackging was probably not a reformulation.

Quote Originally Posted by zliang View Post

Does Versace still make this, or another company?
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Cool Re: Versace L'Homme - Bad News

Quote Originally Posted by foetidus View Post
    I've never tested the original. My review (highly favorable) was on the repackaging and I provided Aromi with the sample he refered to in his thread. The repackging was probably not a reformulation.
    How do you mean? Is it the middle bottle in the picture you're referring to, or the one on top?
    My Wardrobe

AromiErotici

AromiErotici

Anthony........thanks for the heads up and the bottle pics. I had really been wondering about this because I was ready to pull the trigger, but the bottle & box differences had me worried.

The sample foetidus sent me surely must have been the 90's formulation. It was excellent and now I know what the bottle looks like that it derived from.

Question before buying : Are the bottle sizes different between the 1990's formulation and the current? Example....are the 50ml considered 1.6 or 1.7 ? I noticed the listing images for the 1990's version to be described as 1.6

What about the color of the liquid? Mine is a green, like the middle pic, and the lettering is also the same as that pic.

For those who didn't notice, see how the L in L'Homme is under the E in the 90s version but under the R in the newest. The color of the liquid may be due to lighting, but that lettering should allow you to determine the two versions.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 11th December 2009 at 07:29 PM.

Cool Re: Versace L'Homme - Bad News

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    What about the color of the liquid? Mine is a green, like the middle pic, and the lettering is also the same as that pic.

For those who didn't notice, see how the L in L'Homme is under the E in the 90s version but under the R in the newest. The color of the liquid may be due to lighting, but that lettering should allow you to determine the two versions.
    Thanks Bigsly, the one I used was also the green just like the middle pic. The box identical.
    I still don't know if AnthonyDG referred to the first original or the second (our 90's green) or whether foetidus sent the green juice to AromaErotici or the newest reformulation, pictured on top of Anthony's post.
    Is anyone following this? Where am I? Help!

Dazed and Confused,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Justiniani View Post
    Thanks Bigsly, the one I used was also the green just like the middle pic. The box identical.
    I still don't know if AnthonyDG referred to the first original or the second (our 90's green) or whether foetidus sent the green juice to AromaErotici or the newest reformulation, pictured on top of Anthony's post.
    Is anyone following this? Where am I? Help!

Dazed and Confused,

Mario
    Mario...I believe the sample Paul sent me was the "in-between" formula. It's a shame what the industry is doing to masculines. They're cutting the balls off bro and leaving you to buy Eunuch juice.
    Last edited by AromiErotici; 11th December 2009 at 11:47 PM.

It truly is a shame that this was reformulated instead of being discontinued. Now I can't speak for everyone on this - for those who enjoy a really sharp, synthetic citrus in the top-notes it might be bearable. I'm not willing to work my way through those to get to the warm, spicy, and totally classy L'Homme of yesteryear.

The color of the reformulated juice (current - in the black box with the Greek key) is bright yellow, the same color of something else rather vulgar I'd prefer not to smell like.

Blog Entries

Exclamation Re: Versace L'Homme - Bad News

All of this reformulation by the industry is an insult to the their patrons. Someday one of the perfumers will discover that a simple pledge to never reformulate anything they make and to give ample time to purchase when ending production of a fragrance will cause great loyalty amongst it's patrons; a simple way to differentiate themselves from the rest of fragrancedom and create a following based on listening to and respecting the patron. What a concept. Is anybody listening?
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 12th December 2009 at 02:25 AM.

As crappy as reformulations usually are, I'm glad when they at least give some outward indication that something has changed inside. It's better than trying to pass it off as something it's not. But not by much.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

I have used all 3. I was too ignorant to notice ant difference between the first 2, if there really was. The new version.......... yeah, smells like the original, but is NOT the original. However, i still feel i am wearing Vl'H and still love it.

Reformulation is a crying shame, i admit, but as long as the current juice evokes good memories and smells good i just enjoy the experience. 20+ years from now? I shudder to think!
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Folks,

Keep in mind that many reformulations of old classics have been mandated by new EU laws governing what compounds can and cannot be used in fragrances. Chances are that Gianni Versace S.p.A. had no choice but to reformulate or risk substantial fines or worse.
    Griff

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    Folks,

Keep in mind that many reformulations of old classics have been mandated by new EU laws governing what compounds can and cannot be used in fragrances. Chances are that Gianni Versace S.p.A. had no choice but to reformulate or risk substantial fines or worse.
    If they reformulated with the idea in mind to keep to the original as closely as possible that would be one thing. But it seems reformulations change much more than the mandated ingredients, perhaps using the reformulation a an opportunity to use less expensive ingredients across the board and also to alter the formula to a more 'modern' appeal (read here easily influenced, less discriminating public). In doing so they alter the original spirit and appeal of the fragrance involved.
    Last edited by kbe; 12th December 2009 at 08:57 PM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

I thought I'd bump this thread because my wife just bought me a bottle of Versace L'Homme. I have the reformulated version. Now keep in mind that I have never tried the original, so I can't make any comparison. That being said, I think this reformulated fragrance is very good. I don't find the opening to smell synthetic at all - it does smell very sharp and harsh, but it smells like an interesting mix of citrus, clove and ginger. Very eye-opening. If they did reformulate this, then it's hard to imagine they watered this down, because I find this to be incredibly strong, in fact one of the stronger scents I've ever tried. Anyone who has read my posts before knows that I've definitely worn my fair share of 1980s "powerhouse" scents!

Though I haven't smelled the original, my guess is that they may have reformulated this to make it smell more "current", so to speak, because this doesn't smell at all dated or like an average 80s oakmoss bomb. It does smell current, and not cheap smelling either to my nose. And when I say "current", I don't mean a boring mainstream designer scent. I cannot imagine your average consumer liking this at all. It's just too strong, and it's very aggressive by today's standards.

I think this is a very good scent.
    Last edited by shamu1; 17th January 2010 at 03:47 PM.

By the way, does anyone know when this newest version was released? I'm just wondering whether this was the version that Luca Turin reviewed. He gave it very high marks.

Picked this up in the London Duty free this winter, never smelt the original. Now I feel sad, disappointed and cheated!

I have the "middle" version in the OP pic. Quite like it. I trust Shamu's taste so am very encouraged by his take on the newest version.

Goutam02, why feel cheated? As long as you like what you're smelling, who cares if it's different from the original? If you've never smelled the original (like me), no harm done!

The way I look at it, why get upset automatically over a reformulation just because it doesn't smell exactly like the original? Things in life change. As long as it smells reallly good, so what? I think perfaddict stated it perfectly in his post above.

On the other hand, I'm not discrediting those who liked the original and are disappointed with the new one. I can understand that. I've certainly smelled my fair share of bad reformulations. But a lot of people seem to be slamming this new version without even smelling it first, simply because it's been reformulated. That makes no sense to me.
    Last edited by shamu1; 17th January 2010 at 06:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    By the way, does anyone know when this newest version was released? I'm just wondering whether this was the version that Luca Turin reviewed. He gave it very high marks.
    Turin's books are pretty darn recent, so I'm inclined to think he reviewed recent juice. I do not picture him deliberately seeking out the older version. Makes no sense.

It sounds to me like reformulated or not, it retains the overall character of the original.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 17th January 2010 at 07:51 PM.

This was my last Versace hope, considering how mediocre most of their new releases are.
    -

I think to some companies it either reformulate the fragrance or just discontinue the line completely. The price of raw materials to create fragrance is greatly risen and the demand on fragrances is low on classics - most men what to just wear what is new today 90% do not say true to a fragrance.

We have been seeing this same instance with Givenchy who did away with the fancy bottle and now the same with Aramis - I at least give them credit of keeping the product still on the shelfs and assembly lines.
    Last edited by scentimus; 17th January 2010 at 09:04 PM.

dear all, take note of the following:
    - under a recent press release on an italian magazine, D di Repubblica, Versace l'Homme was considered NOT a reformulation, despite the change of the box. Here it is pretended that the formula is the original one.
    -from my personal experience, the juice is the same and VERY GOOD. agree with shami1 that it is stronger than average of edt today are. tipically 80es.
    regards,
    Corrado

see below:
    http://www.menstyle.it/cont/benesser...ace-lhomme.asp
    Last edited by Corrado Finardi; 25th March 2010 at 02:14 PM.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

An update on this thread.

I came across the 90s reformulation of Vl'H this morning and, of course, bought it on the spot. I already own the new version and had posted earlier that i had used all 3 versions but was ignorant about any differences in the versions.

I got home, put the bottles side by side and the first thing i noted was the significant difference in colour. The juice of the new version is light green while the older version is light brownish-green. Actually, the reverse is the case in the pictures above, maybe due to lighting conditions during photography.

After noting Bigsly's accurate spot-the-difference re the positioning of the "L'Homme" i looked under the bottles. As expected, different labels, which i will try to reproduce line-by-line below:

New:
    VERSACE
    L'Homme
    79 degrees (actually symbolised)
    EAU DE TOILETTE
    100ml 3.4fl oz

Older:
    EAU DE TOILETTE
    100ml 3.3fl oz 81 degrees (symbolised)
    Giver SpA Milano
    USA Distributor Versace Profumi USA Ltd
    (obviously the bottle i bought was for the US market)

Then came the inevitable side-by-side. A Revelation! Let me just say that accord-for-accord, the new version is true to the older version. However, the new version attains the replication in a manner that is noticeably inferior (in a synthetic-feeling chemical way) to the older version. That may be what is behind the "pungent citrus opening" AnthonyDG referred to in his opening post. There is also an earthy/animalic(?) under-current strong in the older version but totally missing in the new. The labdanum/oakmoss from the base? 50 minutes into wearing, the accords smell the same upon a cursory sniff-by. However, the superiority of the ingredients of the older version remains quite obvious, albeit without any noticeable advantage sillage-wise. Again, same accords, different olfactory "feel". From experience i know the new version has very good longevity and the older one will most likely not be lacking in that regard.

Edit: Exactly 2 hours into wearing - the older juice is now kicking out some rich spicy/tobacco(?) accords. The new one is just nicely (and i mean nicely) aromatic but with very muted spice and nothing i can mistake/misinterprete as tobacco.

Conclusion: i have "transferred" the new version to back-up status, while i intend to enjoy the older juice for a long while.

I hope the comparisons above make some sense.

Disclosure: I am all for giving reformulations a chance if the likelihood of scoring vintage versions are slim/impractical, and currently enjoy several reformulated frags in my wardrobe. However, there must be lots of the older Vl'H available in obscure places. It would be worth searching out.
    Last edited by perfaddict; 16th June 2010 at 07:24 PM.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

One of my favorites and highly underrated. Thanks for wringing this out perfaddict. Turns out I have a bottle and a half of the 90s reformulation that have the 81 degrees notation.

Indeed the fact that it has a fairly low profile means many of the bottles of the 90s reformulation are still out there. Look for the box as indicator. This is the kind of scent that one can find at odd, old perfume stores and possibly cologne kiosks.

This stuff just smells good. I don't care what the notes are. A borderline 80s powerhouse that holds up well.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 16th June 2010 at 07:05 PM.

Man, that was a hell of a side by side analysis, perfaddict.

Now I feel so cheated!!!

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    All of this reformulation by the industry is an insult to the their patrons. Someday one of the perfumers will discover that a simple pledge to never reformulate anything they make and to give ample time to purchase when ending production of a fragrance will cause great loyalty amongst it's patrons; a simple way to differentiate themselves from the rest of fragrancedom and create a following based on listening to and respecting the patron. What a concept. Is anybody listening?
    Yeah!!!

Plus AKKKK!!! I've waited too long to get this one.

I wore the 90s version today but never tried the new one. I read Vibert's review (now Off-Scenter), apparently of the new one, and he talked about a wood/amber base. I've noticed this (or at least that's my impression) in the new version of Oscar Pour Lui (the old one is from the 80s, which seems to have a rich and complex base), as well as frags first marketed fairly recently. My guess is that the perfumery industry has learned that using a mild woody/amber base is a really cheap way to make a frag that most guys will think is "okay," at least. Cuba Green, for example, has a nice herbal citronella top with a mild woody/amber base. Pino SIlvestre may have been the first frag that did this, or they too may have reformulated in this way (though I think the woody/amber there is a bit stronger than in Cuba Green). By contrast, my Versace l'Homme has a complex, natural-smelling base that comes across as "high quality," whatever the reality may be. I'd be curious to hear what others think of this idea.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 17th June 2010 at 05:28 AM.

I've recently succumbed to the charms of L'Homme and was fortunate to pick up the 90's version cheap on Ebay. Wears very smoothly and elegantly.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    I've recently succumbed to the charms of L'Homme and was fortunate to pick up the 90's version cheap on Ebay. Wears very smoothly and elegantly.
    I'm really curious now to try the 90s version, because although I really like it, the new version is anything but smooth and elegant. More like loud and brash, which is fine with me.

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    I'm really curious now to try the 90s version, because although I really like it, the new version is anything but smooth and elegant. More like loud and brash, which is fine with me.
    I thing it's all in the application Shamu...I've got the 90s version and if I hit it hard, it's brash. If I go light, it's pretty smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I wore the 90s version today but never tried the new one. I read Vibert's review (now Off-Scenter), apparently of the new one, and he talked about a wood/amber base. I've noticed this (or at least that's my impression) in the new version of Oscar Pour Lui (the old one is from the 80s, which seems to have a rich and complex base), as well as frags first marketed fairly recently. My guess is that the perfumery industry has learned that using a mild woody/amber base is a really cheap way to make a frag that most guys will think is "okay," at least. Cuba Green, for example, has a nice herbal citronella top with a mild woody/amber base. Pino SIlvestre may have been the first frag that did this, or they too may have reformulated in this way (though I think the woody/amber there is a bit stronger than in Cuba Green). By contrast, my Versace l'Homme has a complex, natural-smelling base that comes across as "high quality," whatever the reality may be. I'd be curious to hear what others think of this idea.
    I agree with you Bigsly. I think wood notes are both inexpensive and safe, so they're great for the big fragrance industry. As Luca Turin wrote, woody notes are the least likely to offend. They smell clean, somewhat spicy, and masculine but safe enough for most guys to buy it. I doubt oil of cedar for example costs that much, compared to something like jasmine.
    Last edited by shamu1; 18th June 2010 at 04:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    I thing it's all in the application Shamu...I've got the 90s version and if I hit it hard, it's brash. If I go light, it's pretty smooth.
    I don't know Stylin, even if I spray the new stuff on lightly it still smells harsh and loud. I don't wear it too often, but I wear it when I'm in the mood to wear something loud and sharp.

I don't have the nose of Bigsly or Shamu, but L'Homme smells way above it's price to me.

I think the dryness and lack of sweetness make it come across as harsh or rough (90s version) to some, including myself (most of the time I've worn it). Lately I've been exploring the old "power frags," and I'm realizing what a huge difference there is compared to more recent ones. I hadn't been able to do this "experimenting" until a few months ago because of a "chemical sensitivity" type of problem, which seems to be afflicting some of the BP oil spill workers (from what I heard on a recent news show). What's funny is that I have very good tolerance now, and I'm wearing One Man Show at the moment. It's coming across as quite tame, though I only sprayed once.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 18th June 2010 at 04:32 AM.

The Original Versace L'Homme is one of my all time favorites.
    Whenever possible, I always buy vintage (most vendors will let me try it first to make sure it's still fresh).
    So far I have been very pleased.

My brother got me the 90's version for x-mas a couple years back and i noticed that something had changed; the top notes were nearly identical, but the warmth and richness of the base was definitely lacking. I soon traded it in for a vintage version.

I tried the latest formulation (top photo) today.
    The top notes were relatively true to the original, but something was definitely missing from the middle and base notes.
    I personally will not buy either of the re-formulations, the original is far superior.

For the folks that never tried the original and don't have the time to hunt it down, the new formulation is not bad.
    I have smelled new versions of other scents that smell nothing like the original - this at least comes close.

Bottom line: If you're a Versace man - Go Vintage!

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyDG View Post
    It truly is a shame that this was reformulated instead of being discontinued. Now I can't speak for everyone on this - for those who enjoy a really sharp, synthetic citrus in the top-notes it might be bearable. I'm not willing to work my way through those to get to the warm, spicy, and totally classy L'Homme of yesteryear.

The color of the reformulated juice (current - in the black box with the Greek key) is bright yellow, the same color of something else rather vulgar I'd prefer not to smell like.
    I'm a fanatic fan of Versace L'Home since 1987 when I was still living in the US. I went back home to Indonesia in early 90s but was still able to secure a regular supply of L'Home for a another few years before it became difficult to obtain. The recent packages have become somewhat different in term of the color of the liquid (yellow not greenesih). I just found and joined basenote.com and was totally surprised to learn that this fine perfume was not discontinued but rather it was reformulated. I did notice the different aroma but I was happy enough to ignore as it took a great effort to get the subsequent supplies of L'Home. At least now I know why it smells different.

Is it confirmed that L'Home has been reformulated (by versace) and that it is imposible to get the original formula?

Quote Originally Posted by garphie View Post
    I'm a fanatic fan of Versace L'Home since 1987 when I was still living in the US. I went back home to Indonesia in early 90s but was still able to secure a regular supply of L'Home for a another few years before it became difficult to obtain. The recent packages have become somewhat different in term of the color of the liquid (yellow not greenesih). I just found and joined basenote.com and was totally surprised to learn that this fine perfume was not discontinued but rather it was reformulated. I did notice the different aroma but I was happy enough to ignore as it took a great effort to get the subsequent supplies of L'Home. At least now I know why it smells different.

Is it confirmed that L'Home has been reformulated (by versace) and that it is imposible to get the original formula?
    You don't provide us with much information as to where you are living now, so I have to give a nonspecific response. The reformulated version is readily available in the US from Etailers. Example:

http://www.parfum1.com/versace-lhomm...p?itm=VERSTS34

the page show the ORIGINAL bottle but I seriously doubt that that is what they would ship to you, several Etailers are notorious for not keeping their pictures current.

The original or the '90s reformulation might be available on Ebay.

Never was a fan of this fragrance.

Basenotes Plus

I fully concur, Shamu1 (and want to say that I really like your reviews/postings here on Basenotes - you, sir, are a rockstar of scents!) I have been a long time visitor and now set forth to share my thoughts and found this thread so fascinating - and being both a fan of the Versace house and a purist of all things in this world - I wanted to do a complete and full comparison. I actually, in order to do this right purchased ALL 3 bottlings/formulations to see for myself after all these years (never owning them all at once), including the original with thin script logo, a 90's bottle in a brown box and the newest/current version in a black box. The convincing points of the new bottle not being a true "reformulation" according to the D di Repubblica magazine article have been placed in my mind as "hopeful"...as some reformulations have been a very big let down. The first bottle (ironically) came today - and, it is the newest/current version in the black box with yellow-tinged juice. I will do the reviews as they come in. Wearing a healthy dose (5-6 sprays about 20-30 minutes ago) as I type this - I am immersed in lemon juice tinged with bergamot and ginger. Not a whole lot of depth yet...a lot of top-end *sparkle* in this at first, wow! This is a lot like high-pitched feedback coming out of an amp...noise to some, rock 'n roll to others ;-)! Not an 80's style, but more of a very fresh and revitalizing fragrance that wants so hard to evolve and it does (now at about an hour) - jasmine and some faint woods peak through. Similar composition at this stage to Eau Fraiche - but deeper and warmer. Less lemon rind and citrus (but still there) - somewhat synthetic, but not terrible and definitely aromatic (as PerfAddict stated) - moving to a muted note of spice...some cinnamon/nutmeg. On my shirt (I always spray body and fabric as notes and evolution reveal themselves differently), I am very refreshed still at this point (very nice citrus accord) and my body is warming the scent. I think this should be one sprayed on both skin and shirt - let it be "loud and brash" and then warm up. This is not for the aquatic-minded or CK crowd. This, although I have yet to compare it to the original and 90's version, is for people who still appreciate when a fragrance can give them a slap in the face and shake the olfactory senses a bit. I like it! On a scale of 1-10, as this is drying down...solid 7! Looking forward to the first two - cannot wait to do a side-by-side comparison...

As I went out to visit friends last night, I definitely had a good amount of Versace L'homme radiating but noticed that the drydown in this newest formulation leaves a fair amount to be desired . To me, the drydown of any fragrance is hugely important - after all, you can't walk around with a spritzer everywhere you go and keep refreshing every two hours. I tried not to sniff constantly ( :-) ), but the longevity of the top notes, while brash and loud for the first hour and warmed up during the 2nd hour pretty much fade to the muted spice and then the journey was pretty much done and over with...? This left me scratching my head a bit. I conclude the new formulation is a warm weather scent (or a short-lived cold weather one) - it was definitely cold last night (with some wind) and I noticed the fragrance only where my body heat was putting out the notes. This fragrance is well-established as one with a strong blast of top notes and a beautiful drydown - here's hoping the earlier versions attest to that. I won't change my score until I have a go with this juice on a warm summer day in the sunshine...where I think it will shine.

**Update** - I just received the Original Formulation in a screw-top splash-on 100ml bottle. Just put a bit on - this is truly wonderful. Everything the newest formulation wants to be, but far more refined and distinct. I have extremely fresh top notes of citrus (but not as harsh or brash) - lemon, bergamot, petit grain blended harmoniously with green notes creating a beautiful scent. This IS the real deal - wow! And, not more than few minutes on the skin and while the fresh top notes are still alive and radiant, the floral mid-notes come through likes someone took a handful of fresh cut jasmine and carnation and threw them onto a nice Italian leather couch! I have a gorgeous Natuzzi set in my living room and am tempted to do this right now to recreate the effect! No kidding, but this is exactly where the reformulated current edition in a black box could not take you. It was lacking the depth, middle and drydown - a touch of warmth, but not close. I am smelling the scent on my skin incessantly and know why Basenoters and people seek out and admire vintage fragrances - a perfect example is in this bottle. This was purchased from a very reputable source online...I thank them. The drydown now is touching on oakmoss, cedar, lots of rich and "broken-in" leather (warm and comfortable, not dusty per se), with hints of vanilla, sandalwood and very warm and deep patchouli. This has surpassed expectations - and they were very high! While people might want to over-glamorize things and sensationalize, I will simply say this - if you are lucky and determined to know what the fragrance truly was meant to smell like, then seek out the older vintage formulation. Otherwise, be happy that the top notes and a shadow of this fragrance still exists and drop less dough on the current offering (which should be called 'Versace - an homage to L'Homme'), which is still better than most of the CK-minded people can even relate to. This is a "powerhouse" of freshness and refinement along with warmth - it exudes confidence. I feel 10 feet tall and I have but a small splash on my skin. This is Gianni's vision and my memory of what Versace L'Homme was in a bottle from my adolescence to early-adulthood (it has been a lot of years and my mind and nose took a journey back in time today). What made Versace as a brand (not just "L'Homme") known as a top-quality house of taste and distinction is captured in this bottle. Final score - 9.5/10!

***Update*** Also received and opened the 90's Formulation (Spray) in the Brown Box - Large Block-lettered bottle. I wanted to first review the true Original (Script logo) and then compare the 90's version in order, with a little time in-between. The latest edition (in a black box) already put away for warmer weather. I am very happy to say that StylinLA was correct - this is fantastic...and I, personally, don't believe drastcally reformulated from the true original. I am in olfactory heaven right now - and grinning. I just reapplied a small dab of the Original (Splash bottle) on the top part of my hand, and a spray of the 90's on my inner forearm...back-and-forth - very close to being the same. Lots of middle notes (leather, cedar, patchouli and moss) explode right out of the bottle along with the bright citrus in both. Drying down...the entire room smells like Heaven! I will give the a very similar score, since they are the nearly the same (simple logic), therefore - a 9+/10 for the 90's formulation! The original has sentimental value because of the old-school vibe - script logo, splash vs. spray, but it is nearly the same juice in either bottle. I cannot detect much difference, happily. It is subtle and more 'how' specific notes presents themselves more articulately in the Original Vintage juice than difference in scent pyramids. Enough difference for a trained nose to discern - but all-in-all, both are superb!

Salud! To Versace L'Homme - this has been a divine and pleasurable learning experience I am honored to share! My mother, may she rest in peace, always taught me that the right way to find the truth was to gather all the knowledge, facts, etc. yourself and discern your own judgement. Do not reply upon others' opinions - that is their truth. I am thankful for all that she taught me...
    Last edited by ericrico; 7th April 2014 at 07:45 AM. Reason: Update - 90's Formulation/Brown Box

great review ericrici...
    Do reach for the other formulation & come back & let us know your thoughts.
    cheers

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Hi guys, eventually I can make my personal assessment. In 2011 I could find in Brussels airport the new box (dark brown one with Versace's home signature design- ancient greek chain- ) but in its original formulation. THis year trying to make stock of promotional offers, I bought an apparently equivalent bottle... bad news, the oakmoss and tremoss are gone!!!! see the ingredients list (the right box which is the newest one, is far shorter.. due to the moss not listed!
    As also other noted, the construction is similar, but without the perfect rounded flavour given by moss.... We should push versace to give us the older formula, once the allergens are kept separated from oakmoss...
    very sad for this
    P1020887.jpg
    Corrado Finardi

we'd better flow this email box with complaints
    export.dept@euroitalia.it (the customer email of Euroitalia, the producer of Versace perfumes)

Let's organize ourselves, we have the right to do that!
    Corrado Finardi

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Justiniani View Post
    Anthony, I just read http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=240319

You were absolutely right, it was a great juice and incredibly versatile.
    As for my own comments in that thread, I hate it when a joking remark turns into a depressing prophesy.

What the hell is next?

Remember when cars had curves? An old T-Bird, a Mustang or a Jaguar? Why did the Western auto industry choose to copy the box contours of Japanese cars--their worst feature---yet not copy their excellent engineering, their best feature?

This really sucks.

Cry me a River,

Mario
    I love this. Too true. Too sad.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

Just tried the newer version, the one with the dark box.
    Not too bad really, it's a good reformulation. The vintage is superior in intensity, but the new version is quite good.
    Remembering other very bad reformulations, I thought a disaster..... phew!!

Even I was very disappointed when I bought it but thankfully I traded it off.
    ------------------------------------------------
    Currently on my Rotation:
    1. Cartier D'un Soir
    2. Loewe Essencia
    3. Bergamotto Marino
    4. Herb Alpert Listen
    5. Artisan
    6. Bang
    7. GIT
    8. Pal Zileri No 18
    9. TdH
    0. Kenzo Homme

Are you sure it was the 90's? I bought a couple of bottles in about 2004/5 and it sure smells different now. Thinner with less moves from top to base.

Basenotes Plus

I concur with this statement from Andre Moreau.

Compared to the reformulations from other houses of classic bottles, Versace has given us something with L'Homme that is about as good as one will find. One can read the ingredients, make comparisons of the color liquid, etc. - but, to me, the real proof is simply how it smells. Wearable by itself, but current juice shows very well layered with the earlier 90's formulation. I don't layer the current juice with the Original Vintage - that is simply too good. ;-)

Reality - IFRA has forced changes. Compliance is mandatory. So, I applaud the house of Versace for giving us what they have instead of either giving up (and discontinuing it) or ruining it. The current juice shows better in warmer weather and while thinner with less base notes (as ALL reformulations suffer from due to the removal Oakmoss as a note and fixative)...it actually adds more bright citrus on top (lemon and petit grain - lemon leaves - and a bit more bergamot) and warms to the skin while maintaining nice freshness, incorporating basil and nice cinnamon and moving toward some florals in the heart and a greener (slightly herbaceous patchouli). Leather is still prevalent, but the overall difference is more in depth, power and the fullness of older juice.

And, to answer Kaern - the reformulation occured in the 90's (from the Original Vintage formulation...not sure what year), but the current juice came onto the market after IFRA stepped in around 2000/2001 and virtually all the classics had the maximum amount of Oakmoss reduced (.1% of total composition). This happened across the board. Most fragrance houses went to the addition of more Tree mosses that were not restricted, but they simply do not offer what the amazing lichen (evernia prunastri), Oakmoss delivered in spades.

I have recommended to people (who actually care) to get either Original Vintage (which is near perfection) or the 90's reformulation (which is so very close to the Original, but displays a couple of notes slightly different and has a bit greener tinge). However, I always have mentioned to layer current juice into a wearing of 90's juice as they blend wonderfully...and one can conserve what is becoming rather rare & precious - and has good qualities on its own merits.

Cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by Andrè Moreau View Post
    Just tried the newer version, the one with the dark box.
    Not too bad really, it's a good reformulation. The vintage is superior in intensity, but the new version is quite good.
    Remembering other very bad reformulations, I thought a disaster..... phew!!
    Last edited by ericrico; 4th March 2013 at 11:22 PM.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

This advertisement is dated 1996, so we can assume the original vintage lasted from 1984 to the end of '90.
    From circa 1999 to 2008 : the "first" refurmulation (brown box with thick lettering)
    From 2009: second reformulation, dark box with "greek chain".

BTW: "Petitgrain" is the oil obtained from the bitter orange tree (also called "Bigarade" tree).
    Last edited by Andrè Moreau; 4th March 2013 at 04:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ericrico View Post
    I concur with this statement from Andre Moreau.

Compared to the reformulations from other houses of classic bottles, Versace has given us something with L'Hom that is about as good as one will find. One can read the ingredients make comparisons of the color liquid, etc. - but, to me, the real proof is simply how it smells. Wearable by itself, but shows very well layered with the early 90's formulation. I don't layer the current juice with the Original Vintage - that is simply too good. ;-)

Reality - IFRA has forced changes. Compliance is mandatory. So, I applaud the house of Versace for giving us what they have instead of either giving up (and discontinuing it) or ruining it. The current juice shows better in warmer weather and while thinner with less base notes (as ALL reformulations suffer from due to the removal Oakmoss as a note and fixative)...it actually adds more bright citrus on top (lemon and petit grain - lemon leaves - and a bit more bergamot) and warms to the skin while maintaining nice freshness, incorporating basil and nice cinnamon and moving toward some florals in the heart and a greener (slightly herbaceous patchouli). Leather is still prevalent, but the overall difference is more in depth, power and the fullness of older juice.

And, to answer Kaern - the reformulation occured in the 90's (from the Original Vintage formulation...not sure what year), but the current juice came onto the market after IFRA stepped in around 2000/2001 and virtually all the classics had the maximum amount of Oakmoss reduced (.1% of total composition). This happened across the board. Most fragrance houses went to the addition of more Tree mosses that were not restricted, but they simply do not offer what the amazing lichen (evernia prunastri), Oakmoss delivered in spades.

I have recommended to people (who actually care) to get either Original Vintage (which is near perfection) or the 90's reformulation (which is so very close to the Original, but displays a couple of notes slightly different and has a bit greener tinge). However, I always have mentioned to layer current juice into a wearing of 90's juice as they blend wonderfully...and one can conserve what is becoming rather rare & precious - and has good qualities on its own merits.

Cheers,

ericrico
    Sorry -- I may be being thick here but are you saying the current juice is the same I purchased about 8 years ago? It certainly doesn't smell like it, i.e. there hasn't been another reformulation after 2004/5?

Basenotes Plus

Well, I am not sure -

Based upon packaging - the current black box with the "Greek chain" design around it is what I am referring to. Also, I know Petitgrain is an essential oil that is extracted from the leaves and green twigs of the bitter orange plant. I was pausing to say that I actually smell lemon leaves in current...actually separating the two main citric notes with a greener one and adding a touch more bergamot, which to me is actually (even more precisely), the rind/bitters more than just the bit of juice. Different facets - but clearly louder citric notes in current.

Here is fact. If you have ANY Versace L'Homme in a brown box, you have older formulation...period. If you have the script, thin logo with lower case letters, that is Original formulation. The 90's reformulation is still in the brown box, with "VERSACE and L'HOMME under it in silver letters" in a black rectangle. Greener color to the juice (I actually pick up lemon leaves in here too - a citric green note, along with the lemon, bergamot (juice and rind) and petitgrain. More basil and the patchouli is sharper, more green and herbaceous.

We can go back & forth. I have the three different bottles and packaging. Was it reformulated yet again? Maybe. I don't know. I can say this - the current box I have does not list Oakmoss or Tree Moss at all...

That is what I am comparing.

Hard to say just how many times it has been reformulated since the brown box juice...but, I am referring to what I have when I write about it. It is still good, but FULL of loud citrus and citric notes. Lemon leaves are in there along with petit grain!

Cheers, my friend.

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    Sorry -- I may be being thick here but are you saying the current juice is the same I purchased about 8 years ago? It certainly doesn't smell like it, i.e. there hasn't been another reformulation after 2004/5?
    Last edited by ericrico; 4th March 2013 at 11:24 PM.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

FROM MY PERSONAL COLLECTION:
    These bottles are "Original Vintage", both with "thin lettering", both produced by "VEPRO" (VErsace PROfumi).

But watch closely: the bottle on the right has the bar-code.
    The bar-code became mandatory (at least in Europe) during 1995-1996.
    So we can assume the Original Vintage lasted from 1984 until the end of '90.
    (only for curiosity, the bottle on the left is labelled 1986)

Around 1999-2000 the new version arrived: this is (picture below) a bottle dated likely mid-2000, the "thick lettering" one .

Produced bi GIVER, Monza, Italy, with the mandatory list of ingredients on the back: you can read Evernia Furfuracea and Evernia Punastri (with a little mistake, it should be "Evernia pRunastri").
    You can see the "hand and book symbol", this practically means "produced after 2004")
    This bottle is - in a few words- the "First reformulation" and smells GREAT.
    Don't worry about year, lettering, production, ingredients, if you see a brown box, grab it! the juice is top-quality.

At the end of 2008 production stopped and arrived (year 2009) the modern "dark box with the Greek chain" version, or the "second reformulation": still good, but a step behind the two previous versions.

-----------------------------------------------------------
    BRIEFLY:
    1984-1998: Original Vintage (brown box with thin lettering) PERFECT
    1999-2008: First Reformulation (brown box with thick lettering) NEAR PERFECT
    2009-ongoing: Second Reformulation (Dark box). GOOD
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by Andrè Moreau; 5th March 2013 at 10:18 AM.