Maurice Roucel's

MUSC RAVAGEUR

Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Top notes
    Lavender, bergamot
    Middle notes
    cinnamon, cloves
    Base notes
    sandalwood, tonka bean, vanilla, guaiac wood , cedar.
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: S o t D Friday 11 December 2009

Hi everyone- have a great new day ! keep warm all those is cold climes !

A very happy birthday to Scentologist !

The 'new' Mitsouko parfum extrait for me today.
    I am still trying to understand and befriend this new Mitsouko - her personality is much subdued - like she has done with the partying and the glamor ,abit confused and not sure who she wants to be next. I will give her my hand and try to make sense of her confusion.
    ( OK, yes ,that was a load of trollop ! )

Anyway, I am trying to 'love' this because I rather have some kind of split personality Mitsouko and then none at all .
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 11th December 2009 at 11:08 AM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Annick Goutal Folavril to bring some light into the darkness.

Have a fab Friday!
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Gucci Envy Me

Sur la Plage

My SOTD is Yves Saint-Laurent Opium pour Homme EDT.

Last edited by petruccijc; 11th December 2009 at 11:14 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Krizia Spazio for me today, thanks to a lovely BNer who sent me a big decant of it.

TGIF!

Cacharel Loulou

Have a great day!

Finally cold-ed up here...calls for stronger measures, so will abandon Bermuda for the nonce and revel in....

...perfect for my lit'rary lunch at which a coupla good old boys are gonna talk about their South'ren cookbook which I intend to buy for Beloved Son who is a grill master extraordinaire.

AND get out the Xmas cards!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Ivoire for me.

This is so nice in the wintertime.

Ooooh, Rrrrrroberto (I was rolling my "r" there!) You smell fantastic! In fact, you all smell darn fine!

Early am spritzed on some Ambrette 9 by Le Labo. After fitness class and shower later I'll be wearing Black Cashmere by Donna Karan!

Yay for Friday! :bounce:Stay warm!

Happy Birthday to Scentologist!

Happy birthday Scentologist!

Oh lord, Tao, that reminds me! I had better get on with the rest of my cards.
    We are becolded here in Casa Del Birdie (should that be The Bird's Nest, perhaps?) so we smell of Vicks Vapo Rub and nothing else. Poor Small had a horrible fever all night but it seems to have broken now and she is swaddled in blankets on the sofa watching her favourite Studio Ghibli DVDs. Kiki's Delivery Service at the moment and I bet Totoro will put in an appearance later.

So my SOTD is Vicks and I hope it clears my head in time for Andy Tauer's Scent Apero in Zurich tomorrow! I am SO looking forward to it and desperately hope I'm well enough to go.

Have a fabby friday; Happy Chanukah for those who celebrate and whoever you are, may your day have as much vibrancy and vim as Maurice Roucel's fabulous moustache.
    x
    Last edited by Wordbird; 11th December 2009 at 12:13 PM.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

RL Polo Double Black today.

Birthday Greetings to Scentologist!
    Last edited by kbe; 11th December 2009 at 12:18 PM.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Doctor's appointment this morning calls for something great, yet reliable. Had to go for the Vintage No 5...but, apparently I needed an extra lift because after a liberal splashing of the edt, I felt the need to dab the parfum.
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

*~~________________________________________~~*

P d Nicolai Vanille Tonka for me today. Continuing on my incense kick, yesterday with Rose and spice from Paestum Rose. Today, mixed in with a vanille bean.

Happy birthday, Scentologist!!

I am trying to keep my skin free for a late-afternoon visit to Aedes. It is funny how hard that can be.

Serge Lutens Rose de Nuit today. Just got a sample of it but feel I should be wearing something more glamorous than jumper and jeans!

Freezing day this morning.
    Today the Wild Poodles of Someville get their picture taken with Santa.
    Sunday I meet up with many of my fellow boston BNers for Neil Morris' event in Boston.
    Can't wait to see my Boston peeps in person.

Wanted sandalwood this morning.

10 Corso Como

Sometimes perfume is simple. Sometimes the fragrance just does what it is supposed to do. It always acts the same on my skin and it always produces the same response in me. 10 Corso Como, named after Carla Sozzani's Milan clothing boutique, is one of those fragrances for me.

Olivier Gillotin is the perfumer behind this 1999 release and he uses some very common notes and doesn't really ask them to do anything more than exist. The art here is the balance he brings to 10 Corso Como which makes it so wearable.

The top of 10 Corso Como begins with a zephyr of sandalwood and incense and that zephyr never stops blowing those notes to my nose. Eventually the breeze shifts slightly and it blows past a rose bush and I get a nice rose note with the sandalwood and incense. Then the best part of 10 Corso Como comes when the oud appears. The slight medicinal quality of agarwood is appropriate counterpoint to the slightly sweet sandalwood and incense. This middle phase of 10 Corso Como is the best part of the development. The finale is a mix of vetiver and musk which add an air of familairity to things at the end.

10 Corso Como has below average longevity and average sillage on me. This isn't a work day fragrance for me because it doesn't last long enough but it is a great nighttime fragrance because it does last long enough for an evening out.

10 Corso Como is one of those fragrances I reach for when I'm getting a sandalwood or incense craving and it scratches that olfactory itch for me every time.

Have a Flagrant Friday everyone.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Quick stop at today's SoTD, possibly more later.

Today I am wearing one of my HG scents (thank you, Riannon, for showing me this gorgeous fragrance!!!)

Profumum Fiore d'Ambra. Simply beautifully done.

Fiore d'Ambre notes: Ambergris, opium.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Checking in w/ you all...
    Hugs to Wordie, any other ailers..
    Therese, you better ?

MIA, due to lots of prep for visitors this w/e-
    Debbbora and my friendest Leah are staying in bunk beds !

Latkes, pies, picadillo of beef, etc.
    Spoke w/ Neil yesterday, and ran into David; they are exhausted, but raring to go for their event.

Will wear Mitsouko w/ LHB, like Wallis Simpson [ but without the requisite androgyny ;-) ]

Sending love to all- I wish you could be here !

Lanvin For Men
    Wishlist is pointless.

Feu d'Issey on this cooooooold day.

OOOH-
    Happy Birthday Scentologist...
    And any others I may have missed ;-)

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Good morning, beautiful people. Health, healing and fitness befall all of you and those you love.

Did anyone notice David Boreanaz sans clothes on “Bones” last night? Good to know he's kept up his fitness routine since his Buffy and Angel days. Sigh.

Mysticknot—I share your split-personality feeling about Mitsouko from wearing to wearing and from concentration to concentration and from vintage to modern. Have concluded I prefer the vintage extrait even if it's so old it smells rancid for the first several minutes.
    Chaya—I get tired just thinking about all you do.

I'm starting the day with the cheerful, citrusy La Rose du Petit Prince.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Super busy day today.

Workout, then work, then dinner, then hockey, then swanky office party then (hopefully) bed.

Dior Addict - since I get complements on it and it lasts through a nuclear explosion. For years, it also served as my "dressy" scent. (Back when Hypnotic Poison was my everyday signature scent).

Oh yeah - I wasn't mean enough to spritz Dior Addict before my workout. Probably would have suffocated me first
    Sakecat's Scent Project
    "Wardrobe" and Reviews of everything I've tried to date. Please come visit and let me know what you think.

Blog Entries

Guerlain - L'Heure Bleue
    Notes include: bergamot, aniseed, carnation, orange blossom,
    heliotrope, Bulgarian rose, tuberose, iris, vanilla and musk.
    Last edited by kumquat; 11th December 2009 at 03:02 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Roberto - ROWWRRRR!
    Chaya - I wish we had smell-o-vision on our computers. I can't even imagine the heavenly aromas wafting around your place.

Like SMM, I was craving sandalwood, but it's ETRO Sandalo for me. Lovely airy smooth sandalwood with a certain piquancy up top, drying down into sweeter basenotes.

Happy Friday, all!
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Perry Ellis 360 Blue for Men.

Stay safe this weekend everyone!

CdG Rhubarb Sherbet, which has faded away so I'll change to something else after tea.

The yellow has been removed from my boots, so I'm much happier. I'm still going to find an independent cobbler to fix my beloved exhausted cowgirl boots, I've learned my lesson.

Basenotes Institution

Jaipur Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Boucheron (from a sample - thanks petruccijc)

Happy Birthday Scentologist!

Nuit de Noel for me today.
    Counting down...
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

Kumquat! If that doesn't sum up LHB in the hiver, I don't know what does. So I'm wearing it today!

Hi all, and Happy Birthday to Scentologist!

I'm tying to be extra-productive today (I've put myself under the gun to get all kinds of things done), so I spritzed on the gentle assertion that is Timbuktu. Keeping a clear head is my goal, and this fragrance seems to help.

Vintage Shalimar EDC.
    I offer you perfume,
    More for its pleasure than for yours;
    You perfume perfume.

--Anonymous Ancient Greek Love Lyric

It's cold here too, but at least sunny. Off to do some Christmas shopping for my girlies. Wearing the divinely gorgeous Le Labo Iris39 (thanks D- muwah) It smells like warm sexy skin. LOVE

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Did anyone notice David Boreanaz sans clothes on “Bones” last night? Good to know he's kept up his fitness routine since his Buffy and Angel days. Sigh.
    I did! Very enjoyable viewing!
    Last edited by petruccijc; 11th December 2009 at 06:03 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Blog Entries

So did I! Bravo! and Yowsa. I didn't know you could show that on cable.

I started out in Narciso Rodriguez for Her EDT, but a friend sent me a decant of Hermes Eau des Merveilles, so I've popped some on for a quick fix. I'm not sure, it's really sherberty to my nose. Very different to on a scent strip!

Posset's Frou Frou. So far this one is quickly becoming a favorite of all the ones I've sniffed.
    Visit my website! http://www.smelloutlandish.com/ 10% discount with code: BASENOTES

Happy Birthday, Scentologist!

Tabu again, ending my week of smelling hookerific !

And a Very Happy Hanukkah.

Hello dear BNers - thanks for the group hugs yesterday. My little one seems to be back to her normal, cheery self. If she had a bug, she's shaken it off. This morning started with a sleepy "I love you Mommy".

Today I have the tiniest dab of Fracas EDP on my wrists. Looking forward to trying the Fracas parfum soon (with a big hug to Mysticknot, too!) :wave:

Basenotes Plus

Today I wore Mitsouko Parfum de Toilette
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

Lol, Sunnyfunny! hookerific indeed! Wearing Tabu always makes me feel like I'm Ava Gardner for some reason - that pic of her in a leopard print maillot & fishnet stockings.

Happy Birthday, Scentologist! Make a wish!

I hope everyone who is ailing gets well soon.

I wore Vera Wang Princess to school today. Whew! Long week, and glad it's Friday, yay! I'm wearing YSL Parisienne this evening. Going out for some Vietnamese food.

Have a good evening!
    Last edited by lilybelle; 11th December 2009 at 08:31 PM.

Sur la Plage

My SOTE is Yves Saint-Laurent Body Kouros.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I'm wearing Amouage Gold and loving it!

Cold day here in CT! Our cat is becoming less eager to spend significant blocks of time outdoors. He already has a window seat that overlooks our back yard. I also wanted to get him one of those carpet-covered cat towers so he could look out the front windows as well, but they are quite pricey, and the ones I'd seen at Petco seemed to be sized for smaller cats. Today at Big Lots we found a less expensive and larger-shelved one that fits the bill perfectly. He took to it right away!

Happy Birthday, Scentologist!!!

SOTD is TDC Osmanthus. Not necessarily ideal for the deliciously frigid weather we've been having, but I will be around my perfume allergic colleague tonight so I wanted something discreet yet wonderful. Take good care, all.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    I'm wearing Amouage Gold and loving it!

Cold day here in CT! Our cat is becoming less eager to spend significant blocks of time outdoors. He already has a window seat that overlooks our back yard. I also wanted to get him one of those carpet-covered cat towers so he could look out the front windows as well, but they are quite pricey, and the ones I'd seen at Petco seemed to be sized for smaller cats. Today at Big Lots we found a less expensive and larger-shelved one that fits the bill perfectly. He took to it right away!
    Amouage Gold! You smell divine, 30 Roses.

Chanel No. 5 Eau Premiere

jean patou 1000

very zen!
    [COLOR="Purple"]I am not afraid... I was born to do this.

-Joan of Arc [/COLOR]

Happy Birthday, Scentologist!

I am wearing Cristobal.

(the "Kiss of Death" thread reminded it to me!)

summer means fireflys

I'm wearing Chocolovers today.

Kumquat, another beautiful picture today!

Happy birthday, Scentologist!
    Last edited by shadesofbleu; 11th December 2009 at 10:55 PM.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Caron L'Anarchiste tonight
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

I got to craving Amoureuse, so I got out my sample and dabbed it on as SotD. Timbuktu is still lingering, too, so I smell interesting (!).

TGIFriday Night!

Armani Privé Cuir Améthyste by Giorgio Armani
    Autumn treasures: Magnetism, Midnight Orchid, Tea for Two,
    Aimez-Moi, Chinatown, Dzongkha, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    Cittá di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly Calèche, Venezia,
    Douce Amère, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypnôse, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier², L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, Cèdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada

Red Aoud for the evening here. One of the most relaxing scents known to man or beast.

Have a nice weekend.

Diesel Fuel For Life Pour Homme
    Gary

Happy Birthday Scentologist.....Hope this was a Wonderful Day!!!!!
    Gary

SofE was Gucci PH. Smoky, woodsy and sweet at the same time. I don't often wear this out, but it is a nice, warm fragrance for evenings spent by the fire. Masculine but nice.

Scentologist, hope you had a wonderful day, many happy returns.

I am so pleased to hear that the little ones are feeling better, big hugs for all of them and their exhausted mamas also.

Happy Channukah to everyone celebrating, may you enjoy a bright, food filled, loving, festival of lights.

Chaya, i want to sleep in your bunk-beds and eat delicious cozy food.

Today i wore vintage Fidji, after reading the Fidji thread for two day i decided to put some on. Very nice and very animalic, which i think they toned down over the decades.

I think this will continue to be my SotE, i will re-apply this before bed.

Love and hugs to all, stay cozy
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source